• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Surrogate Cites Japanese Camps as Precedent for Muslim Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreuzader

This is not a normal situation. If there is not resistance, if there is not outrage, we are headed for tragedy, we are headed for trouble, we are headed for grief.

From the Mediate article:

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach told Reuters in an interview yesterday that Donald Trump‘s policy advisors are considering implementing a registry for anyone that comes into the United States from Muslim nations as part of Trump’s “extreme vetting.”

Former Navy SEAL and Trump supporter Carl Higbie spoke with Megyn Kelly about this tonight and said there is certainly precedent for action like this to be taken.

Kelly brought up the criticism that this is a slippery slope and that a system like this could end up being abused.

Higbie made it clear he thinks the vast majority of Muslims are not bad people, but because there are some who align with an “extreme ideology,” it would be wise to “keep tabs” on people coming into the country from certain places.

“We’ve done it with Iran back a while ago,” he said, “we did it during World War II with the Japanese.”

Kelly bewilderedly responded, “Come on, you’re not proposing we go back to the days of internment camps, I hope.”

He said he is not and merely made the point he was trying to point to precedent, which led Kelly to say this:

“You can’t be citing Japanese internment camps as precedent for anything the president-elect is gonna do!”

Edit: Hey all - one relatively easy positive thing to oppose this would be donating to the ACLU; they're going to be really busy once Trump's inaugurated:

Chumley

Banned
Here we go

This is how it starts. Hasn't even been inaugurated yet.

Where are those posters telling protesters to stop protesting and we all need to "get over it"? Those fucking drive-bys should be bannable at this point since there's clearly no defending it.

Mobius 1

Welcome to America. Keep the brown people menace at bay!

Would you like to know more?

Fucking disgraceful, what have we done with this nation?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Everything's gonna be just fine, y'all. Just reach out to the other side, do some unity, everything's gonna be juuuuuuuuust fine.

Pakkidis

I would like to hear from the immigrant Muslim woman who voted for Trump and see if she is starting to regret her vote.

This isn't new.

735557.jpg

People have just wanted an excuse to sign off on it, and here we are.

catbrush

Japanese internment camps were one of our country's most shameful acts in recent history. Not something to be emulated! Fuck this guy!!!

Boke1879

Protest, make your voice heard. FIGHT THIS. This is not normal and this is NOT ok. We cannot stay silent or else we are doomed to repeat history, and if we do. Where does it end?

Zapages

Enough is enough... There needs to be some backlash to all this in the media amongst the populace. No one should be ready to tolerate this.

So will people that are opposed to this get called Terrorist Apologists?

One event and it's going to happen. This is sad. Next time it won't just be Muslims.

Blacks are getting out of control, broken tail lights will not result in an immediate arrest
or gunshot.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I mean, the easy precedent is literally NSEERS which ended in 2011 and what they're actually probably going to reimplement. But hey if you want to be outed as a racist by citing an atrocity like that...you do you I guess?

fucking disgraceful

every single trump voter and supporter is complicit in this bullshit and absolutely atrocious fucking human beings and blood will be on your hands.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Note his little freudian slip at the end where he remarks it's OK because immigrants don't have rights like Americans. Kelly immediately corrects him that uh, yes, if you immigrate you kind of get rights too.

But it shows how these people think. Outsiders to their nationalist agenda will never be welcome, only tolerated as second class citizens and perpetually kept on notice.

I wonder if over the next few years we'll start to see them get on national TV and calmly explain why we should end birthright citizenship, so that we can properly vet people born in America and insure they're a good fit. Two guesses what would guarantee instant citizenship for newborns.

kmfdmpig

Jesus fucking Christ. What's next - Tuskegee syphilis trials? Pointing to the most blatant abuse of government power in the last 80 years as a precedence for something that they are in favor of is frightful. Is this SEAL just a supporter or a true surrogate?

Paches

But guys we should give this administration a chance, a blank slate! Trump could be good for America!

God help this country...

Wilsongt

Do go on about how both sides are the same, though, and that protestors should be working or in school instead of out there protesting the president-elect.

*sits down and sips his damn tea*

tumblr_n980pal3Zz1r9c36po1_500.gif

Garlador

I argued with someone on this very forum saying that this would never happen, and I brought up the fact my grandparents went through internment camps.

Our nation is having a meltdown. Do not accept this. This is not normal and not okay.

Is the majority of the Republican Party okay with this kind of rhetoric?

I hope Ana Navarro isn't. She seems like the only person with a spine and morals.

Is argued with someone on this very forum saying that this would never happen, and I brought up the fact my grandparents went through internment camps.

Our nation is having a meltdown. Do not accept this. This is not normal and not okay.
Necro bump that discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom