• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: to DC to meet w/ party leaders for unity; White Natn'list Deleg. can't resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Title was going to be "Today in Trump" but I had to chose my words carefully to fit both stories in the title.

In The Name Of Party Unity, Trump Heads To Washington To Meet With GOP Leaders

Donald Trump is in Washington Thursday to meet with his party's congressional leaders to hash out their differences and talk GOP unity ahead of what is likely to be a pitched general election battle against Hillary Clinton.

First up is a private meeting with House Speaker Paul Ryan. The two will meet at the Republican National Committee in a session orchestrated by RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

Ryan sent shockwaves through the GOP when he announced last week that he was not yet ready to embrace the New York businessman as the GOP standard-bearer.

"It's going to take more than a week just to repair and unify this party," Ryan told the Wall Street Journal in a Facebook Live interview. "If we just pretend we're unified without actually unifying, then we'll be at half-strength in the fall, and that won't go well for us."

"We come from different wings of the party. The goal here is to unify the various wings of the party around common principles so we can go forward unified." - Ryan

Ryan told reporters that he does not really know Trump. They met briefly in 2012 when Ryan ran on Mitt Romney's presidential ticket. The two men also spoke on the phone in March.

Ryan said the meeting is, in part, a relationship building exercise. He told reporters Wednesday that he does not expect he will change Trump's mind on policy matters where they disagree, but he wants the Trump wing and the Ryan wing of the party to work together this fall.

"This is a big tent party," Ryan said. "There is room for different policy disputes in this party. We come from different wings of the party. The goal here is to unify the various wings of the party around common principles so we can go forward unified."

Trump initially dissed Ryan for not endorsing his campaign, but he offered a more conciliatory tone in an interview with Fox's Bill O'Reilly.

"I have a lot of respect for Paul and I think we are going to have a very good meeting," Trump said.

Asked if he expected Ryan to "fall in line" and endorse him, Trump responded: "I don't think 'fall into line' is the right words. I think he loves this party, he loves this country, and he wants to see something good happen."

Trump is also expected to meet with the House GOP leadership team. Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., have endorsed Trump. House Republican Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, R-Wash., the highest ranking GOP woman in Congress, has not. Like Ryan, she says she wants to meet with Trump before she makes that call.

Trump will then meet with Senate GOP leaders. Unlike Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., quickly announced his support for Trump after the candidate's decisive victory in the May 4 Indiana primary that made his nomination a foregone conclusion.

"I think most of our members believe that he's won the nomination the old-fashioned way: he got more votes than anybody else," McConnell told reporters Tuesday, "And we respect the voices of the Republican primary voters across the country."

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/12/47769...-heads-to-washington-to-meet-with-gop-leaders

--

Official Says 'Too Late' For White Nationalist To Resign As Trump Delegate

It may be too late for a man identified as a white nationalist leader to be removed from a list of Trump delegates, an official in the California secretary of state's office told NPR.

"The Trump campaign did not reach out to our office about removing William Johnson's name as a delegate until Tuesday, May 10 — which is past the statutory deadline to submit delegate lists to the Secretary of State's office," Press Secretary Sam Mahood said in a statement.

William Daniel Johnson is affiliated with the American Freedom Party, identified as an extremist group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The Los Angeles attorney is known for proposing an amendment to strip U.S. citizenship from nonwhites. His existence on the list was first reported by Mother Jones.

After Johnson's name appeared on a Trump delegate list published this week by the California secretary of state, the campaign blamed a computer error and said it had taken immediate steps to remove him.

"Upon careful review of computer records, the inclusion of a potential delegate that had previously been rejected and removed from the campaign's list in February 2016, was discovered," the Trump campaign's California State Director Tim Clark said in a statement Tuesday. "This was immediately corrected and a final list, which does not include this individual, was submitted for certification."

Johnson told CNN and the Washington Post that he resigned after the Trump campaign contacted him and that he will not attend the Republican National Convention in Cleveland this summer.

"I was approved as a delegate, I submitted my application and I was approved," Johnson told CNN Wednesday afternoon. "And then immediately when the list came out, they [the campaign] saw that they had a clerical error. And so then they sent me an email saying that 'you are removed from the list.' So I wrote back an email telling them 'I understand. I resign.' And then later in the day I got contacted by a media person, who says, 'Well you're still on the list.' And so then I sent them a second email saying that 'I resign. I will not attend the convention. I will not be a delegate.'"

NPR reached out to the the Trump campaign for comment. It did not respond.

The news of the white nationalist's inclusion on Trump's delegate slate in California comes as Trump is gearing up for a general-election fight by hiring new staff and taking on likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

Trump's critics have repeatedly accused him of racism for his statements about groups, including Muslims and Mexican immigrants.

For Johnson's part, he said he is still a Trump fan — even if he won't be a delegate.

"Mr. Trump is the real deal," Johnson said on CNN. "He won't govern by public opinion polls. He will say what's on his mind," something he called a "refreshing change."

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/11/47769...white-nationalist-to-resign-as-trump-delegate

Slayven

That pivot. I think they are resigned in the fact he is their face now. They will support him, but little more than token wise

mclem

I'm mostly distracted by the fact that the white nationalist's name is basically made up of two slang terms for penis. He might claim the middle initial is for Daniel, but we have to consider the possibility that it is in fact for Dick.

maxcriden

I'm mostly distracted by the fact that the white nationalist's name is basically made up of two slang terms for penis. He might claim the middle initial is for Daniel, but we have to consider the possibility that it is in fact for Dick.

Wait, since when is William such a term?

Well, I respect the efforts to unify the party.

Speaking from a strategic point, the GOP would be unwise to have Trump go independent and split the vote

I bet there's some poor, overworked RNC aide looking for evidence that one Obama delegate was a former Black Panther or from another (non MLK) civil rights group in order to generate shitty talking points on this white nationalist disaster.

rjinaz

Really not holding my breath, but I hope Paul Ryan resists Trump until the bitter end.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't. They will be best buds in no time. Ryan will claim Trump is willing to tow the line more,he's taking this very seriously and loves this country yada yada yada. In the end Trump will have the backing of the heads of the party.

RPGCrazied

Yeah I definitely wouldn't. They will be best buds in no time. Ryan will claim Trump is willing to tow the line more,he's taking this very seriously and loves this country yada yada yada. In the end Trump will have the backing of the heads of the party.

Which is sad. I mean, sure they ran terrible campaigns, but got to give respect to Jeb and Graham, at least they know what he truly stands for. Hell, even the older bushes want no part of it.

Honestly, a bit off topic but do people think Obama doesn't say what's on his mind? Why is someone not taking polls and public opinion into account a good thing?
I know exactly why.

The fact that the GOP is so vehemently against B-rock should indicate otherwise.

The difference between a man like Obama and a man like Trump is tact. How is tact a bad thing?

rjinaz

Which is sad. I mean, sure they ran terrible campaigns, but got to give respect to Jeb and Graham, at least they know what he truly stands for. Hell, even the older bushes want no part of it.

The Bush's recognize it's not their party anymore. But they don't really have any stakes in this. The GOP have to support the winning candidate. If Paul Ryan was outside of it all, I have no doubt he would be doing what the Bush's are doing. But he can't. Like it or not, his party has spoken, and he has to go to work for them.

He acted all hesitant, just to appeal to the more rational side of the party, like hey, I'm not blindly jumping in to support. But, it was just all for show and for points. He'll fall in line. If it all goes badly he can at least say "hey, if you recall I was hesitant about Trump".

rjinaz

Honestly, a bit off topic but do people think Obama doesn't say what's on his mind? Why is someone not taking polls and public opinion into account a good thing?
I know exactly why.

The fact that the GOP is so vehemently against B-rock should indicate otherwise.

The difference between a man like Obama and a man like Trump is tact. How is tact a bad thing?

He's saying things they don't want to hear so it doesn't count. Amazing how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom