• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trumpcare (Obamacare repeal) may be law within days. This could be the final stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope when the dumbfuck Trump voters lose their insurance and get sick, that they remember this moment.

Two problems, even though I agree with the sentiment:

First and foremost, as you know it is going to screw over a lot of good people as well. Second, they won't remember, nor will they actually blame Republicans. Hell, even the few that actually blame Republicans will still vote R when it comes down to the time to pull the lever. I might get rich one day, big government bad, I hate the browns and the gays, fuck immigrants and them taking my job, etc. All of that overrides their own self interest.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Here's hoping this reduces my employer offered plan prices - or at least slows the rate in which they have been increasing.
If that happens I'll vote for the guy. If that doesn't happen then I'll feel robbed.

Single payer is the endgame but anything that reduces my burden in the meantime is a-ok.

You are heartless. And a fool to believe his lies.

night814

Party before country. They want to undo everything the previous admin did and this is something they've actually gotten close to doing. Backlash from this vote will be huge, this can really affect people enmasse negatively. I have type-1 diabetes and it would be impossible for me to afford insulin without my employer coverage.

Ominym

Banned
I think it's just that special kind of sheltered pragmatism where you play politics like a game to a certain imagined potential end and fuck the details and people in the middle. The fact that this is an indistinguishable MO between a sheltered internet pundit, a comic book villain, and a GOP senator says all that needs to be said about the times.
Intelligent people understand how the game is won and realize when to compromise your personal benefit if it means the team gets a win.

Selfish people take their ball and go home when they don't get precisely what they want.

The unfortunate reality is that we have some people on our team that can't see past their own selfish desires to help our team get a win. And, unsurprisingly, it's usually the people who it affects the least. And they're usually the first to complain when people call them out for it.

You sure? I checked, and only one of us seems to be deriving any sort of pleasure from the current state of affairs:

As with Kyoufu, send me a PM if you care to see what I have to show you.

But there aren't enough leftists in the US. The US is a center to center right country. Centrists are required to build a coalition.

Going full on leftists may work in California. And wellness see with their single payer healthcare proposal. But such a thing failed miserably in Colorado.

Not enough people understand the benefit of higher taxes but a robust safety net on big ticket items like healthcare or transportation. They see a tax hike and shut down.

Just like they don't understand the true expense of insurance in general. They think the $0-$300 a month in premiums on their paycheck is the full cost not realizing the true cost is closer to $1,000+ monthly for plans not on the ACA.

The theory of "not enough leftists" has been sorely tested already when a candidate which was more or less purposefully chosen to appeal to centrists was defeated so humiliatingly by a nationalist racist populist candidate who should have had breathtakingly narrow appeal like Trump. I mean the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Do we really want the Democrats to keep running lukewarm centrists and keep losing forever? Is this the strategy going forward for the party?

Swass

People have put these republicans in power, and even with all the nonsense surrounding that party they have still won 4 special elections since.. either the people are happy with the direction of this country, or the republicans have figured out how to game and rig the system, either way it isn't looking good for those of us who don't agree..

The theory of "not enough leftists" has been sorely tested already when a candidate which was more or less purposefully chosen to appeal to centrists was defeated so humiliatingly by a nationalist racist populist candidate who should have had breathtakingly narrow appeal like Trump. I mean the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Do we really want the Democrats to keep running lukewarm centrists and keep losing forever? Is this the strategy going forward for the party?

It's fine to run a leftist. As long as they can appeal to a broader coalition too. Pure left politics do not work everywhere. People didn't focus on Hillary's policies. They focused on her appearance, her energy. Her "baggage." Other things. Her "baggage" was what did her in, not defect in policy. We run on image and have since at least Kennedy who got big boosts when shown on TV, but did worse when people heard him campaign strictly on radio.

The US is also a deeply racist, nationalist country. So yeah, it makes sense a loud nationalist, racist candidate was able to get plenty of those people excited.

How about you just post it here instead of trying to shrug off your post history?

How about you send me a PM if you actually care and when you see it you'll understand why I don't post it publicly? It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

If you want to see it, PM me. If you don't, it means you're too afraid of what you might see and how it might change your opinion or world view. That's on you. I have said all I will say about this offer, which remains open to you and several other people who I have also made the same offer to the past few months.

Your logic is that Hillary lost to a right-wing candidate because she wasn't left-wing enough? Get out of your bubble - Bernie would have lost by a landslide. The campaign ads write themselves - the tax rates required to put Bernie's stuff into action would have sent shockwaves through middle America. His lack of support among minorities would have had them calling the election the moment the polls closed.

The rest of America doesn't look like you and your friends, that's how bubbles work. This is largely a center-right country that thinks the ACA was too big and intrusive. The details of Bernie's plans would have had those people laughing out loud.

cdyhybrid

How about you send me a PM if you actually care and when you see it you'll understand why I don't post it publicly? It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

If you want to see it, PM me. If you don't, it means you're too afraid of what you might see and how it might change your opinion or world view. That's on you. I have said all I will say about this offer, which remains open to you and several other people who I have also made the same offer to the past few months.

Your insight isn't that special. You can post it here.

haha lol ok now

ZeoVGM

Banned
I've posted several times continuing the discussion on topic. My apologies for not responding to post calling for my job, my life, or my ban. I'd rather discuss healthcare in this thread.

I'm like many here and voted Bernie in the primaries. He was our shot at fixing healthcare. Here's to hoping single payer becomes a core belief for whomever the DNC decides to post up in 2020.

The healthcare insurance industry in this country has become virtually unrepairable in the last decade.

So let's not even talk about the fact that you went from Bernie, a great and respectable man, to someone who was literally caught on video admitting he thinks sexual assault is okay. To someone who would post fake crime stats on Twitter to make his supporters think that black people were murderers who target white people.

We'll ignore that disgusting fact and stick to healthcare: You went from voting for Bernie to fix healthcare to voting for someone who would, factually, make it worse than it would have been under Hillary.

You want to discuss healthcare but there is absolutely zero logic or reasoning to your political opinions. It's as if Bernie lost to Hillary and you thought, "Fine, then I'll vote for someone who is the complete opposite of Bernie rather than someone who is much closer. Because fuck the basic welfare of my fellow Americans if my guy lost."

Jesus Christ.

cdyhybrid

So let's not even talk about the fact that you went from Bernie, a great and respectable man, to someone who was literally caught on video admitting he thinks sexual assault is okay. To someone who would post fake crime stats on Twitter to make his supporters think that black people were murderers who target white people.

We'll ignore that disgusting fact and stick to healthcare: You went from voting for Bernie to fix healthcare to voting for someone who would, factually, make it worse than it would have been under Hillary.

You want to discuss healthcare but there is absolutely zero logic or reasoning to your political opinions. It's as if Bernie lost to Hillary and you thought, "Fine, then I'll vote for someone who is the complete opposite of Bernie rather than someone who is much closer. Because fuck the basic welfare of my fellow Americans if my guy lost."

Jesus Christ.

Don't entertain him. Any actual Bernie supporter that voted for anyone other than Clinton in the general election was never truly invested in Bernie's causes in the first place.

Zubz

Banned
This is way too important of an issue to get this thread locked over some squabbling. Can't we just focus on something like a plan for alternatives down the road, a list of senators to call, protests, or something?

I'm calling again tomorrow, but I'm stuck with Toomey. That rat hates & discredits his own constituents.

Ominym

Banned

Kinda says a lot that you're so fearful of the reaction you might get that you can't say it out loud.

If you have some personal revelation megaton that changes the entire way we view this argument? We'd love to hear it.

Dai101

Banned
It's quite macabre to see how Americans just let this happen. Like watching a person dying in slow-mo.

Bystander effect at a national scale.

Don't entertain him. Any actual Bernie supporter that voted for anyone other than Clinton in the general election was never truly invested in Bernie's causes in the first place.

Some allies, huh? Liberals until they don't. Or don't feel enough energized. Whatever the fuck that means.

cdyhybrid

Bystander effect at a national scale.

Some allies, huh? Liberals until they don't. Or don't feel enough energized. Whatever the fuck that means.

Yep. Want to be progressive until it's not entirely on their terms. Then progressive policy doesn't matter. Fake ass bullshit.

People have put these republicans in power, and even with all the nonsense surrounding that party they have still won 4 special elections since.. either the people are happy with the direction of this country, or the republicans have figured out how to game and rig the system, either way it isn't looking good for those of us who don't agree..

Underestimated how pissed white people are for a black man living in the White House for 8 years.

They will not stop until they make it seem as though it never happened.

cameron

I've posted several times continuing the discussion on topic. My apologies for not responding to post calling for my job, my life, or my ban. I'd rather discuss healthcare in this thread.

I'm like many here and voted Bernie in the primaries. He was our shot at fixing healthcare. Here's to hoping single payer becomes a core belief for whomever the DNC decides to post up in 2020.

The healthcare insurance industry in this country has become virtually unrepairable in the last decade.
They should put solar panels on it. #MAGA

This is way too important of an issue to get this thread locked over some squabbling. Can't we just focus on something like a plan for alternatives down the road, a list of senators to call, protests, or something?

I'm calling again tomorrow, but I'm stuck with Toomey. That rat hates & discredits his own constituents.

This thread is a lost cause after the derail. There's another GAF thread with way better info/content: "Time's Running Out To Rescue the ACA & Kill the AHCA. What You Can Do."

Foffy

Banned
Am I the only one who think the American people will not take this peacefully?

I imagine protests, riots, and likely repeats of that shooter from last week. It may not happen overnight, but when people lose all they have left, they have nothing left to lose...

Is this one way we see a precariat revolt?

shem935

Banned
I thought 4 GOP are against this and they can only afford to loose 2? This means it shouldnt pass.

The thinking and past experience being that GOP people will fold easily. And they will. Token concessions will be made and it will go through without significant outside pressure.

Opto

Banned
Am I the only one who think the American people will not take this peacefully?

I imagine protests, riots, and likely repeats of that shooter from last week. It may not happen overnight, but when people lose all they have left, they have nothing left to lose...

Is this one way we see a precariat revolt?

Maybe some more lone shooters, but we don't really do much about those. But McConnell and his cavalcade of cowards are putting the deep impacts way down the road to avoid immediate effects leading to immediate backlash. And America is shitty at memory, so if Democrats get control of every back again, they have to restructure everything again, which is painful, and creates more uncertainty, and it'll take longer because they'll want to do things a lot better.
Don't count your eggs before they hatch.
I could see Cruz holding out on getting his wife a job in the administration

is there some Event Horizon shit going on in that PM box

Mechazawa

"But in the mean time, I'll love the ride down if it's as absolutely comfortable for me as possible."

Like.

Fuck yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom