• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's debt limit deal with Dems likely to lead to DACA becoming law at end of year

Can you imagine the leftist shit Trump will sign if they just coddle his ego? This Presidency would then proceed to be..... at least somewhat, barley tolerable.

Even if Democrats con Trump into passing rational policy, he's still a white supremacist trainwreck who's very existence in the office diminishes its standing. It will never be remotely tolerable to me.

So this clown is capable of doing good things as long as the press praise him and his rivals are using that to their advantage?

Keep manipulating him.

RDreamer

Even if Democrats con Trump into passing rational policy, he's still a white supremacist trainwreck who's very existence in the office diminishes its standing. It will never be remotely tolerable to me.

Yeah, Trump is still racist as all fuck. It just seems his greed and need to put himself above all others might actually 'trump' his racism.

NoName999

Don't get me wrong, even if he becomes a straight up Democratic puppet, I still won't vote for him come 2020. lol

Ferrio

Banned

True but Republicans are more likely to boot his ass out if he's working with the Dems. To me it's a win/win.

tbm24

I have to imagine many in the GOP were ecstatic thinking Trump's utter lack of experience and knowledge would let them manipulate him all day long. I'd say it worked for maybe 4 months with regulation shit. But it's turning south quick for their agenda. Years gonna end and the only thing done is disaster relief and stuff Dems wanted.

True but Republicans are more likely to boot his ass out if he's working with the Dems. To me it's a win/win.

This. Been echoing the sentiments that this congress won't do anything in regards to impeachment, but Trump turning Fox and their voters against them actually might change their attitudes.

Still a long, long way to go, but if the democratic leaders can continue turning Trump against the GOP, then maybe his destructive presidency can end a bit early.

Nafai1123

Banned
Maybe Trump will start to imagine the praise he will get in the press if he supports single-payer, drops the wall bullshit and pushes for more progressive tax reform.

One can only hope he can be manipulated into being a slightly less smelly piece of shit.

Maybe Trump will start to imagine the praise he will get in the press if he supports single-payer, drops the wall bullshit and pushes for more progressive tax reform.

One can only hope he can be manipulated into being a slightly less smelly piece of shit.

If he continues to come out of meetings with Democrats happier than he does when he comes out of meetings with Republicans, maybe.

I wonder

if Republicans try to impeach trump

can the dems somehow turn this to getting trump on their side? "We stopped them from impeaching you, we're basically buddies now! Let's work together!"

God knows I'd rather have Trump influenced by dems then his vice president...shitstain..whatever his name is.

Hannity is going to do that Two Towers Gollum scene, one fellatioing 45, the other hating Dems.

Obligatory:

giphy.gif

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck @ Graham's face.

You know what to do Lindsey. I've been asking for it for months now. Shoulda been the one stabbing their own party, but...

Guys, think about it for a moment:

The GOP couldn't control Trump in the past 8 months. 2 years if you count the general.

The Democrats managed to tame him in only 2 days.

Can you imagine the leftist shit Trump will sign if they just coddle his ego? This Presidency would then proceed to be..... at least somewhat, barley tolerable.

That just goes to show they can't nor shouldn't trust him to stay obedient for any length of time. Get a few sucker punches in, then move on, sticking to principles at the first whiff of his pudding brain beginning to catch on or get cranky.

NoName999

Trump apparently wants to make more deals with Democrats

Mr. Trump told reporters after the calls that the deal may signal a new era of bipartisanship. ”I think we will have a different relationship than we've been watching over the last number of years. I hope so," he said. ”I think that's a great thing for our country. And I think that's what the people of the United States want to see. They want to see some dialogue. They want to see coming together to an extent."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trump just flat out blew up in the Republicans' collective faces.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder

can the dems somehow turn this to getting trump on their side? "We stopped them from impeaching you, we're basically buddies now! Let's work together!"

God knows I'd rather have Trump influenced by dems then his vice president...shitstain..whatever his name is.

Nah, we're good. Nobody wants his ass in the Democratic party.

kirblar

He wants more wins and the Democrats have popular policies that would be seen as big wins for him. I mean, so far, the GOP had terrible policies that were met with negative reactions and Trump is tired of people hating him.
A important lesson from Nixon - do not turn down the deals and gamble on 2020.

Take them, you can always alter them later if you get full power.

conpfreak

As much as I hate Trump, if striking legislative deals with the Democrats when the Republicans can't get it together works, by all means go for it. He probably has a better chance of getting tax reform done with the support of some of the centrist Democrats too.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
He wants more wins and the Democrats have popular policies that would be seen as big wins for him. I mean, so far, the GOP had terrible policies that were met with negative reactions and Trump is tired of people hating him.

If in some nightmare scenario Trump is still around when Dems take back the majority in the House in 2018 I can totally see him wanting to work with Dems to pass popular progressive policies.

He's wanted nothing but to be loved and adored his entire life. He's finding that to be impossible outside of a very small group of racist GOP voters.

kirblar

You referring to Nixon's failed single payer push?

Yup.
Yup - Nixon wasn't the one backing Single-Payer though, that was Kennedy. Nixon backed ..... something that should sound very familiar- https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/06/22/stockman/bvg57mguQxOVpZMmB1Mg2N/story.html

Ted Kennedy, whom Nixon assumed would be his rival in the next election, made universal health care his signature issue. Kennedy proposed a single-payer, tax-based system. Nixon strongly opposed that on the grounds that it was un-American and would put all health care ”under the heavy hand of the federal government."

Instead, Nixon proposed a plan that required employers to buy private health insurance for their employees and gave subsidies to those who could not afford insurance. Nixon argued that this market-based approach would build on the strengths of the private system.
Over time, Kennedy realized his own plan couldn't succeed. Opposition from the insurance companies was too great. So Kennedy dispatched his staffers to meet secretly with Nixon's people to broker a compromise. Kennedy came close to backing Nixon's plan, but turned away at the last minute, under pressure from the unions. Then Watergate hit and took Nixon down. Kennedy said later that walking away from that deal was one of the biggest mistakes of his life.

Aselith

Guys, think about it for a moment:

The GOP couldn't control Trump in the past 8 months. 2 years if you count the general.

The Democrats managed to tame him in only 2 days.

Even where he to pass all liberal legislation, he's still spending exorbitant amounts of taxpayer money and embarrassing the country daily and diminishing our standing in the world and undermining our institutions and...

But hey. At least he's a useful idiot, right?

Ithil

Trump's only concerns in life are ego and greed. He doesn't care about policies, politics, citizens, whatever. He only cares about a particularly petty and smallminded idea of "fame" and "positive press". He sure as shit doesn't care about loyalty to the GOP.
All he wants is to make money and feed his ego with ratings and positive news coverage. His obsession in life is TV. Schumer and Pelosi have apparently figured this out and started using it to get him to agree to deals that are terrible for the GOP.

Don't expect Trump to suddenly be a bastion of liberal progression here, but expect him to start considering agreeing with Dems on some issues if he believes he will get positive press from it. All he cares about with the deal yesterday is that it was praised in the media.

Negator

Trump supporters would vote for him if he shot someone dead on the street, but will they still love him if he starts pushing through all the policy democrats want?

Ithil

Honestly, I appreciate his sentiment. He's realized trying to railroad shit through with just one party is difficult and disastrous, and just getting everyone to agree is a much better idea. We'll see how long that lasts though.

That's not his sentiment at all. His sentiment is "Doing this thing got CNN to praise my deal, I want more".

JettDash

Trump supporters would vote for him if he shot someone dead on the street, but will they still love him if he starts pushing through all the policy democrats want?

Most of them, yes. They are highly authoritarian. If Dear Leader says that making deals with Democrats is best, they will agree.

Trump's approval ratings aren't going to sink into the 20s - putting him and his party in truly precarious territory going into the midterms - unless his standing among the Republican base starts eroding substantially.

Well, I can't think of a more effective way of making that happen than for Trump to start buddying up to Nancy Pelosi.

Can you?

Yup - Nixon wasn't the one backing Single-Payer though, that was Kennedy. Nixon backed ..... something that should sound very familiar- https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/06/22/stockman/bvg57mguQxOVpZMmB1Mg2N/story.html
This demonstrates why incremental reform isn't a bad thing. Had Nixon's plan been put into place, Clinton could have gotten a public option, then Obama could have gotten single-payer with each step facing less and less resistance. Instead the process was set back 40 years with nothing to show for it.

Joeytj

Banned
Lol at Trump being duped by Democrats.

Republicans are probably panicking because they know Democrats are going to stab Trump at the right moment, but Trump is simply too addicted to being praised.

Obama survived because of his charisma, political talent and supporting the more popular policies, but Trump has none of that, so Democrats aren't going to feel sorry for him and defend him when things turn out right (like if DACA is made law) but Dems take the credit.

Joeytj

Banned
Trump's approval ratings aren't going to sink into the 20s - putting him and his party in truly precarious territory going into the midterms - unless his standing among the Republican base starts eroding substantially.

Well, I can't think of a more effective way of making that happen than for Trump to start buddying up to Nancy Pelosi.

Can you?

Exactly. That's the political calculus from Pelosi en Schumer. They know Democrats are never going to support Trump, so there's no danger to the hopes of winning back Congress. But his base and some moderate Republicans aren't going to be happy if he's seen supporting Dreamers that much and probably won't show up at all.

IF some weird Trump-Democratic relationship pops up in Congress, it will probably pave the way for a Dem dominated Congress just as well as Trump with mid 20s approval ratings.

NoName999

Fox News is attacking the GOP while praising Trump and Democrats.

We are officially living in an alternate universe: Fox News is siding with the Democrats.

The right-wing cable news outlet seems to have defected from its typical blind support of the Republican Party, and all it took was President Donald Trump striking a deal with Democrats on Wednesday to continue funding the government through the month and to provide billions of dollars in relief to victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

Ever since, the network’s anchors and co-hosts have been praising the president for his support of the rebuilding efforts in Texas, as well as for Trump’s "art of the deal" in reaching an agreement with Democratic lawmakers—even though the move reportedly left GOP officials feeling "blindsided."

What is this parallel universe we ended up in???

a8c.jpg

I wonder

I'd be okay with this only if they promised him they'd protect him in exchange for a last few executive orders that help a progressive agenda, only to vote to impeach him anyway.

Trump isn't a good guy.

entremet

Can you?
Well, the GOP Congress has done nothing about immigration, hence DACA. I think Trump won here strategically.

He comes as tough on the laws and the adherent to the Constitutional process, yet he solves the DACA problem.

Ithil

I wonder

If the Republicans tried to impeach Trump, the Democrats would leap at the chance to make sure it happened.
Trump being removed from office would be devastating to the Republican party and lead to them getting destroyed in 2018 and 2020.

Top Bottom