• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotaka

I notice that an unsubstantiated Gaf rumor (with as many "insiders" denying it as confirming it), followed by a formal retort from a Microsoft representative who would see a backlash if he openly lied about something, still has people insisting that its true. Not because of any evidence, but because it simply must be true.

Link please?

He could have ignored it, or given the usual 'we do not comment on rumors and speculation' or some other vague comment. Instead he actually gave a clear answer for once.

That would make it look worst if he said that , MS does not want any sort of rumor of another RROD .
Saying we don't comment on something mean it can either be true or false why would MS want anybody to think that .
Plus saying no comment could make things worst .

EDIT CBOAT saying how it is .

no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps
me=notpaifd fpor anyting 9 ysrs here on gaf, all free and all myo love. gamers and games, noohther.

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact.

SHIT-JUST-GOT-REAL-GIF.gif

avaya

But GPU downclock doesn't, correct?

Maybe that's what Larry's talking about.

According to zomg MS are paying for the wafers and not on a per good chip basis, so they need to make this work....massive massive shortages or downclock. Simple.

Perkel

Banned
Wow this is pathetic... you just want it to be true even if they come out and say it's false?

This is Major Nelson PR guy. Dude who does PR for MS. Those are internal problems of MS and ofcorze he will say everything is OK.

That's a logical fallacy for one and secondly they admitted to the problems of RROD and paid for them.

No they were lying for over a year and didn't acknowledge that RROD existed. After RROD took ridiculous scale they acknowledged it and gave people another year warranty in case of RROD.

Gorki247

That would make it look worst if he said that , MS does not want any sort of rumor of another RROD .
Saying we don't comment on something mean it can either be true or false why would MS want anybody to think that .
Plus saying no comment could make things worst .

OK, but he could still just have ignored it and not answered at all. People are asking him constantly questions on twitter that he never replies to.

Deuterium

no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps
me=notpaifd fpor anyting 9 ysrs here on gaf, all free and all myo love. gamers and games, noohther.

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact.

So why didn't he just ignore the question, or post "we do not comment on rumors"? Instead, Microsoft officially declared that the ESRAM was not a problem/issue. It is possible Major Nelson was commenting to the "down-clocking" rumors...in which case, we have an answer. I could give two shits if there are "yield" issues.

Major Nelson? As if he would actually admit to bad Xbone news.

Especially, with all the issues the Xbone has right now.

Yeah ...... maybe he can "ROUND UP SOME ANSWERS" for us.

And we are done here with Nelson PR bullshit.

To be fair, Larry might not even be aware of the technical issues, he's a PR guy, it's not something he is going to know first hand and if he asks someone higher up about it what do you think they'd tell him to say on twitter?

MogCakes

I notice that an unsubstantiated Gaf rumor (with as many "insiders" denying it as confirming it), followed by a formal retort from a Microsoft representative who would see a backlash if he openly lied about something, still has people insisting that its true. Not because of any evidence, but because it simply must be true.

Interesting.

And to reiterate: If they don't respond to a rumor, it's obviously true, even if we have inconsistent information on our end. And if they respond with a clear denial, it must still be true, because "this company would never make an accurate statement." There's something in the air right now, and I don't like the smell of it.

ORLY? The only person on the 'denying' side is SenjutsuSage, and even he affirmed that there are esram issues. Besides that:

no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact.

Yeah, I'll take CBOAT's track record over a PR mouthpiece any day.

netBuff

OK, but he could still just have ignored it and not answered at all. People are asking him constantly questions on twitter that he never replies to.

This rumour is pretty damaging, that's why he chose to respond and deny it: There's no reason for them to be truthful in this matter, MS don't have any obligation to report manufacturing problems to NeoGAF or Twitter.

So why didn't he just ignore the question, or post "we do not comment on rumors"? Instead, Microsoft officially declared that the ESRAM was not a problem/issue. It is possible Major Nelson was commenting to the "down-clocking" rumors...in which case, we have an answer. I could give two shits if there are "yield" issues.

Yeah sure, let's all treat the guy who has a reputation for lying as a reliable source, and ignore the poster who has a proven track record.

You're showing your colors.

Oppo

That's the thing. It's very easy for Major Nelson to address that as "not true" because it was identified as "the edram issue" and nothing more. Therefore if any bit or detail of what GAF is collectively discussing here is false, his statement was not a lie technically.

Also the info will probably never get out either way really to the consumer at large so why bother letting it sit out there...

anyways thanks, was cool to see CBoaT show up :)

ruttyboy

no.

pr=$$$ to shil for corps

esram stands, perio.d.

truthfact.

Hey man, just wanted to say that I appreciate you for two things:

1) Leaking the good stuff
2) Introducing truthfact to my vocabulary

Keep on trucking dude.

dionysus

Yaldog
I don't have a specific link but I am pretty sure MS spent a good long time claiming that xbox 360 failure rates were within the norm for electronic products.

Leezard

To be fair, Larry might not even be aware of the technical issues, he's a PR guy, it's not something he is going to know first hand and if he asks someone higher up about it what do you think they'd tell him to say on twitter?

Pretty much. PR guys does not have to know every technical detail.

I don't have a specific link but I am pretty sure MS spent a good long time claiming that xbox 360 failure rates were within the norm for electronic products.

You know, things break.

Takuya

Banned

Interesting.

And to reiterate: If they don't respond to a rumor, it's obviously true, even if we have inconsistent information on our end. And if they respond with a clear denial, it must still be true, because "this company would never make an accurate statement." There's something in the air right now, and I don't like the smell of it.
MS didn't publicly openly lie to everyone that viewed their Reveal? All executives nonetheless.

MarkusRJR

A few months ago, a Microsoft employee who told the truth about their online DRM was fired for it. Food for thought.
He didn't even outright say the truth at all. He just implied it. There's no way Major Nelson would be outright say "yeah our shit is so fucked up" or anything implying it. Paid shill and all that.

badb0y

Did Microsoft ever confirm the specs on the GPU? If not it's easy for them to deny the rumor since they haven't confirmed anything publicly.

Interesting.

I actually HOPE you're getting paid for your spinning, you do so with an admirable measure of finesse.

A few months ago, a Microsoft employee who told the truth about their online DRM was fired for it. Food for thought.

He didn't tell the truth on anything. He simply defended always online in the silliest and most unprofessional manner possible considering his position, and he was fired for the idiocy and insulting manner in which he did it, not for somehow being honest. He didn't even confirm it. He was simply defending it, and based on that, people implied that he must only be defending it because Microsoft is really doing it.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about him.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/342704657627496449

"Definitely not true, cannot always respond to every unsourced online rumor, but the fact people would believe this is crazy."

And, cboat is still right about ESRAM trouble, but there doesn't need to be any downclock because of it, which is what I think Greenberg is most directly responding to. Yields were also a problem on the 360, due to its 10MB of EDRAM initially.

I would assume it's because this is something that can be fixed by launch, it has to be, thus it never happened

Damage control, of course.

crazy buttocks already confirmed eSRAM problems. But did he said something about clock reduction? We know that is the common/cheapest way to solve yield problems, but is there any real indication that MS will go that route?

Zoator

This isn't something that they would ever have to admit to. There is no end result of this problem that would lead to them eating crow on it. They never announced their GPU specs, so any changes that happen behind the scenes are irrelevant in their official public stance. How many times have we heard game companies state publicly that development was going fine, when we knew or found out later that it in fact wasn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom