• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey blocks Wikipedia because Erdogan, a dictator, has hurt feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. The half of the population that support Erdogan are mostly not aware about these things. They are simple minded folk that are manipulated by Erdogan's/AKP's play on their emotions and feelings. Shouty strongman saying stuff they like = they like him. They don't even know what dictator means. If they knew and were better informed they'd be angry with him. Yes there are a portion of die hard Erdoganists but most of his support are not fanatical, they just see him as doing a good job.

The other half of the population is the more educated, clued in, World conneted half.

Also there is controversy surrounding the vote as well. So saying the general populace is happy about Erdogan and this situation is wrong.

Anyway this is all relatively moot in this subject, as websites were blocked willy nilly in Turkey even before Erdogan. Youtube was blocked due to Kemamlists being butthurt about videos insulting Ataturk. This problem in Turkey isn't particular to Erdogan or Islamists, there are dumb fucks on the Secular side as well.

4 out of 10 for your deflection attempt.

Not at all. The half of the population that support Erdogan are mostly not aware about these things. They are simple minded folk that are manipulated by Erdogan's/AKP's play on their emotions and feelings. Shouty strongman saying stuff they like = they like him. They don't even know what dictator means. If they knew and were better informed they'd be angry with him. Yes there are a portion of die hard Erdoganists but most of his support are not fanatical, they just see him as doing a good job.

The other half of the population is the more educated, clued in, World conneted half.

Also there is controversy surrounding the vote as well. So saying the general populace is happy about Erdogan and this situation is wrong.

Anyway this is all relatively moot in this subject, as websites were blocked willy nilly in Turkey even before Erdogan. Youtube was blocked due to Kemamlists being butthurt about videos insulting Ataturk. This problem in Turkey isn't particular to Erdogan or Islamists, there are dumb fucks on the Secular side as well.
Fuck off with the "b-but there are stupid secularists too!" bullshit. The ones currently trying to send the country down the fucking of right now are NOT secularists. Erdoğan's lackeys are to blame. Don't attempt to normalize their tyranny by trying to shift the blame. Islamists are the problem. ISLAMISTS ARE THE PROBLEM.

BAW

Banned
I refuse to believe this. I live in Greece and I have friends in Turkey! Business associates I talk to every day! Surely I can call ONE of them and tell them to check www.wikipedia.com in their web browser?

Occam

Another major step towards Islamic dictatorship.

Next up: Death penalty.

My heart goes out to the members of the Turkish intelligentsia. Get out while you can.

I knew it was over for Turkey when they failed to shoot down Erdogan's plane during the botched coup last year. How predictable and how sad.

Is this why why ~70% of belgians and 60% of the dutch turks voted for him?

Even German Turks did so, I'm really smh how that came about.
The Turks in these countries are from the half of Turkey that is ignorant. There are Turks from Western Turkey that are more European and progressive in their values than a most of the Turks in Western Europe. It's like two seperate ethnic groups.

4 out of 10 for your deflection attempt.

Fuck off with the "b-but there are stupid secularists too!" bullshit. The ones currently trying to send the country down the fucking of right now are NOT secularists. Erdoğan's lackeys are to blame. Don't attempt to normalize their tyranny by trying to shift the blame. Islamists are the problem. ISLAMISTS ARE THE PROBLEM.

I'm a Kemalist Secularist and have strong opinions against Islam.

But I am calling it as I see it. The problem of major websites being blocked in Turkey was a problem before Erdogan's consolidation of power. The infamous Youtube block Turkey had was instigated by Kemalist pressure groups and judges, because of videos by Greeks/Armenians/Kurds insulting Atatürk.

I'm not deflecting. I just don't have a pavlovian response that every problem in Turkey is Erdogan's fault.

Kiraly

They were born in the West and have never lived in Turkey. They don't know what it is like, and the AKP propaganda works as they try to keep hold on an idealistic view of the motherland they have never experienced.

nampad

The majority of Turks living abroad in Europe voted for Erdogan's stupid dictatorship...

The Turks in these countries are from the half of Turkey that is ignorant. There are Turks from Western Turkey that are more European and progressive in their values than a most of the Turks in Western Europe. It's like two seperate ethnic groups.

That's true, most of the Turks who came here were the uneducated workers. Still, I am shocked that decades of education here didn't change anything at all.

Those reasons only covered the parts that were stated as regulation. Politically and ecomonically the EU will have a difficult time ahead if turkey will go to BRIC as trading partner instead.

Boo-fucking-hoo. My knees are trembling thinking about what I will do without the mighty Turkey in the EU.

Wasnt a big part of their economy based on tourism? It hit rock bottom afaik.
Many hotels already shifted to invite rather conversative Muslim tourists than European and Russian ones.
Turkey also prints huge amount of money to pump up the economy.

However, Erdoğan indoctrinated the vast majority of the voters. The problem I see is that after everything breaks apart whose gonna be to blame? I fear that the population will blame Europe and the western world like Erdoğan is already doing for years now.

keuja

In hindsight not letting them integrate the EU was probably a great decision.

Erdogan continues his destruction of the legacy of Atatürk with the assent of the people smh...

All the news about Turkey makes me increasingly despise the EU politicians that still hold on to Turkey's EU membership negotiations.

They won't be allowed in as they are now, obviously. Keeping the option on the table is the EU's way of reaching out to liberals in Turkey who would gladly adopt European values and join. I don't think we should abandon them and their convictions. EU-friendly Turks represent a very significant part of the population, it just so happens that half the country is united in their support of Erdogan, which is enough to completely drown out any other political voices.

I feel you though, even if the liberal half was the one in power right now, I'd be very wary of Turkey ever joining. We have our hands full with Hungary, Poland and the like.

and this people at one point wanted to be european

Many still do. Erdogan never did. Just like most people in the US are pro-choice and think climate change is a real problem, but Trump doesn't.

This is creating a wrong image. Voting belgian and dutch turks would be the correct way to say it. Of German Turks able to vote I think 50% voted and 60% were voting yes. If you're further including German Turks without the right to vote in the referendum to make a point about how integrated German Turks are, we arrive at 13% of German Turks voting yes in the referendum.

Except in this case the general populace seems pretty happy with setting up a dictatorship.

A good chunk of the country seems content to give up personal freedoms as long as it guarantees religion in government.

Secular Turkey is vanishing before our very eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom