• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil Remastered Trailer

RedSwirl

Look at this map for just one of the levels. This is what I've missed!

turok_2_lair_of_the_blind_ones_by_gpuronen-d8xx151.png

By the way people, that's one level.

We will all be getting lost after what we have gotten the last 10 years (maybe longer)

Oh God you're right, and Turok 2 is especially labyrinthine. Some of those levels take hours.

Dinjoralo

Oooh, this is going to be nice.

... I just realized, does that logo appear in the Humongous Entertainment games Night Dive have re-released? Jesus, I wouldn't want my kid seeing that.

The level design in this game alone makes it worth playing for those asking why.

Also, the feedback/enemy damage in this game was fucking great.

Kiru

Do these guys just have the rights to Turok or all of Acclaims backlog?

I'd love to see Extreme G and Shadowman remasters as well

A million votes for Shadowman. That was one of the most next-gen of the next-gen experiences for me when I played it on Dreamcast.

Nightdive already brought Shadow Man back. Rereleased for Steam & GOG. You can kinda remaster it yourself with texture mods out there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
To answer the question Nightdive has access a select few Acclaim titles with the next remastering project being Forsaken. The lion share of Accliam games are owned by an outfit called Throwback Games whom have actually started putting old Acclaim games like Gladitor: Sword of Vengence and Trickstyle onto Steam and they are currently remaking a "beloved" N64 Acclaim title.

xclaw

To answer the question Nightdive has access a select few Acclaim titles with the next remastering project being Forsaken. The lion share of Accliam games are owned by an outfit called Throwback Games whom have actually started putting old Acclaim games like Gladitor: Sword of Vengence and Trickstyle onto Steam and they are currently remaking a "beloved" N64 Acclaim title.

Forsaken you say? Omg, how does one stay ontop of news like this? I adore the Acclaim library.... can't wait for this and Forsaken.

tr00per

Wait. I knew they did turok one. I heard they might do turok 2 (now Jumping for joy)

...and now you tell me they're doing Forsaken!?

I could cry.

I was trying a few months ago to play both of those on the pc and couldn't get them to work

One of my favorite things about Turok 2 was starting a multiplayer game with my brother and then doing a level select cheat. You could then basically play any single player map co-op style which was very fun. If this somehow managed to keep that in with the online multiplayer it would be an instant buy for me, but I really doubt that they did any netcode for the AI :(

Koyuga

YES

Loved their work on Turok 1 but Turok 2 was my absolute shit on N64.

How come no one talks about the 3rd game, was it really that bad??

Was still pretty good, just came late like others said. I remember being blown away by the cutscenes back in the day, never thought I'd see face animation in an N64 game.

Nice, best track in the game too.

...As an adult, Port of Adia is what I put on when I need to get stuff done. It's like my Eye of the Tiger. I can pretty much listen to it on loop all day if I need to get in the zone.

You guys may be interested to know that they confirmed they're using the N64 soundtrack:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...r_of_night_dive_studios_stephen_kick/d4jtyht/
6/22/16
Q: if Turok 2 was going to have the music from the original N64 version or the music of the PC version of the game?
A: We're using the music from N64

On the other hand, it sounds like they went with the PC version of "The Death Marshes" for this trailer:

N64 Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRlyWSlyj7M&t=170s

PC Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nERVkauopUk&t=140s

Trailer Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUOrDli_HXs&t=60s

Lafazar

Yes, day one!

Do these guys just have the rights to Turok or all of Acclaims backlog?

I'd love to see Extreme G and Shadowman remasters as well

A million votes for Shadowman. That was one of the most next-gen of the next-gen experiences for me when I played it on Dreamcast.

Shadowman is already available on GOG and Steam, and the PC version is luckily the best version of the game:
https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_man
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251770/

You guys may be interested to know that they confirmed they're using the N64 soundtrack:

In my memory the PC music is better (Redbook CD audio instead of lof kHz samples), but they are pretty similar, so it's no big deal.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wait. I knew they did turok one. I heard they might do turok 2 (now Jumping for joy)

...and now you tell me they're doing Forsaken!?

I could cry.

I was trying a few months ago to play both of those on the pc and couldn't get them to work

That is correct but there is even more, Forsaken could see new content produced for it as Nightdive actually owns the game and the trademark and everything like System Shock.

Also, Nightdive is also working on this game as well from Acclaim.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machines_(video_game)

ZoddGutts

Never played the 2nd Turok game even though I came close to buying it as a kid but for some reason I didn't get it. Will get this version.

Nosgotham

Who actually asked for this? The art doesnt stand up, the game design will definitely not stand up.

I feel like this has been a generation where publishers are just remastering shit because they arent botheres to invest in new IP's.

I can understand going back and remastering some ofnthw bigger titles of the PS2 / Xbox / GC gen, but this early 3D stuff just looks terrible and it was when developers were struggling to make games in a 3D space and they were all kinda of clunky.

you shut your dirty mouth!!!

RedSwirl

For those asking who played Turok 1 but not 2, Turok 2 is much more Half-Life-esque in terms of structure and level design.

There's still a hub area where you go back and forth through six worlds, but those worlds are a tad bit more linear and have some semi-theatrical set pieces in them. It's almost like a half step between Turok 1 and the post-Half-Life, pre-COD era of shooters.

Mawile

Banned
Gotta disagree with most - this looks terrible. I remember getting this game for Christmas and the extra RAM pack for the N64. The game ran and looked pretty terrible even then; this looks like a sick reminder of 90s-era N64 gaming.

Why would you want to play this over any modern first-person shooter?

Faster gameplay, better designed gameplay, and just overall better concept than the dudebro shooters of today.

I mean, you get to play as an aztec warrior fucking up dinosaurs with all kinds of crazy weapons. What's not to like?

kc44135

Wow, that looks awesome! Two questions though. Any chance of a PS4 version at some point? Also, any chance of Turok 3 remastered?

Teran

Holy shit! Turok 2 was one of my favourite N64 games. That soundtrack, that enemy variety, the size of the levels, the weapon arsenal.

Those were the days ;__;

Tareskog

I asked for it...

I am also Spartacus!

Loved this game as a kid, and it got me in a great amount of trouble as it happened to be during a violent period of mine. But still. I'm glad they took the same approach to it as with the first game. Remastering it 'almost' as close to the original as possible.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Unreal (98) should get a proper remake.

Who actually asked for this? The art doesnt stand up, the game design will definitely not stand up.

I feel like this has been a generation where publishers are just remastering shit because they arent botheres to invest in new IP's.

I can understand going back and remastering some ofnthw bigger titles of the PS2 / Xbox / GC gen, but this early 3D stuff just looks terrible and it was when developers were struggling to make games in a 3D space and they were all kinda of clunky.

I played Turok 1 for the first time last month and fucking adored it. Gunplay is a lot of fun, movement feels shockingly good for an FPS to the point that most of the platforming is enjoyable, lots of secrets to find, it holds up shockingly well.

And even if it didn't, it's important to preserve the history of the medium. That's why I love Night Dive Studios, because they are dedicated to making sure the weirder, lesser known games of yesteryear are still available and playable.

So happy that there's a company like Nightdive thats willing to give these old games a chance. I pick up anything that looks even remotely interesting to me that they release to show support for what they do.

I really really hope this leads to 3. I liked Rage Wars also but 3 was a poor running late gen game-it'd be nice to play it all the way through.

Also hoping this means power slave and the others will be available before too long :)

Top Bottom