• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TVGAF, The Wire or Mad Men?

So once this season of Thrones wraps up (gods, that went by quickly), I'm looking for another great TV show to watch.

I've heard incredible things about both of these shows, but can't decide which one to go with. I'm leaning towards The Wire right now only because HBO has never let me down (Thrones, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, True Detective, etc.).

What say you TVGAF? No spoilers please!

kswiston

So once this season of Thrones wraps up (gods, that went by quickly), I'm looking for another great TV show to watch.

I've heard incredible things about both of these shows, but can't decide which one to go with. I'm leaning towards The Wire right now only because HBO has never let me down (Thrones, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, True Detective, etc.).

What say you TVGAF? No spoilers please!

The Wire is better. Mad Men has some great highs, but I think that they let it run too long.

Hazmat

Both are excellent. Decide from reading a brief synopsis of each and watch the one that seems more suited to your tastes.

Then watch the other one.

Skip both and watch Person of Interest

bunk-the-wire.gif

Sadsic

Two very different shows - depends what you are looking for in a drama

one is like a very left-brain, complex crime drama that goes over the entire scope of a city

the other is a very right-brain, character driven, nearly plotless show that sort exists in a state of constant dour curiousity

both are excellent, but they are trying to do two very different things

Cipherr

The Wire easily.

But you should watch Madmen too, its also great. But Madmen is a different kind of show. There's not going to be much spectacle at all. It's really about the people themselves and their lives; and partially the business of advertising. There's a lot of people who struggle to watch something like Madmen with no shootings, explosions, or 'action' to keep them focused and interested.

Flux

Both represent the peak of their genres. Hard to pick. Both worth watching, doesn't feel long when you watch them because moment to moment it's great.

TissueBox

The Wire, Mad Men has some of the greatest developments in TV though.

Then again I don't watch that much TV so don't just take my word for it...

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Mad Men was good for a few seasons and bad for the back half. The Wire was good for 80% of the seasons, and okay for the other one.

Two very different shows - depends what you are looking for in a drama

one is like a very left-brain, complex crime drama that goes over the entire scope of a city

the other is a very right-brain, character driven, nearly plotless show that sort exists in a state of constant dour curiousity

both are excellent, but they are trying to do two very different things

Nails it perfectly. Wire is a top 3 show for me and Mad Men a top 10, but you can't compare them as equals. Two entirely different shows.

Mad Men might be my favorite show. Wire is *reallly* close to it.

Man Men is Sopranos abotu ad execs, and Wire is a unique show that's both entertaining and important.

Watch both.

Season 2 of Man Men is the low point. Some people think the same thing about the Wire, but they are wrong.

Jeels

I haven't watched the Wire but Mad Men is my "show of all time", but I acknowledge it is not for everyone. If you like character heavy dramas (like reading a drawn out novel), give Mad Men a try.

Phased

The Wire is one of the best tv shows ever made, start to finish. Even S2 which a lot of people think is the low point is still better than almost everything out there.

I personally really like S2 but I admit when the show isn't focusing on Avon/Stringer/the cops it's not as good (but still pretty great)

Mad Men is fine but it goes on way too long. Wire is good from start to finish.

Both are excellent shows in their own right. Mad Men is a bit of a slow burn, but worth the investment, as the series really takes off with season 4.

The Wire stumbles just a bit in its final season, but remains one of -if not THE- best TV shows.

The Wire is more consistently good

However

Mad Men probably has the best character development out of any show I've ever watched

nampad

I love Mad Men but I would go with The Wire because it has an overarching story while Mad Men just has the main character whoring around all the time.

The Wire is one of the best tv shows ever made, start to finish. Even S2 which a lot of people think is the low point is still better than almost everything out there.

I personally really like S2 but I admit when the show isn't focusing on Avon/Stringer/the cops it's not as good (but still pretty great)

Mad Men is fine but it goes on way too long. Wire is good from start to finish.

Season 2 has pieces that tie into the Avon story and is all about the cops working with Beatty. It's a fantastic season and people only hate it because of Ziggy.

Watch Homicide.

Pembleton and Gee, the best

Top Bottom