• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TVGAF, The Wire or Mad Men?

Pepboy

The Wire. Mad Men isn't bad, but it revels in the uncertainty of character rather than a strong plot or message.

riotous

Banned
It's a toss up for me; always thought The Wire was a bit overrated and Mad Men was more fairly rated.

I love Mad Men but I would go with The Wire because it has a overarching story while Mad Men just has the main character whoring around all the time.

This isn't very accurate IMO; Mad Men has a central character but they delve pretty far into at least a half dozen other character's lives and psyches over a much longer time period than what The Wire covers.

jdstorm

Banned
POI is good, but it's not on Mad Men or The Wire's level.

Its better then both in more episodes then it isnt

The Wire easily. Mad Men is one of the most overrated shows out there.

This is very true

Easy. The wire

It's a slow burn show but worth the payoff. View each season as a book

This is just a kind way of saying its boring. The Wire is an interesting show that is much less then the sum of its parts, which became revered due to good acting/casting and previously ignored/under represented subject matter.

Watching The Wire was the Internet Hipster version of when middle class Americans started listening to 2pac and NWA in the 90s.

Edit: SNL Clip poking fun at this phenomenon "The Wire" part starts at 2:45

https://youtu.be/0fJdboepI40

Season 2 has pieces that tie into the Avon story and is all about the cops working with Beatty. It's a fantastic season and people only hate it because of Ziggy.

Pembleton and Gee, the best

I love Ziggy. I mean, I hate him, but he's an excellent character. Like Worm from Rounders, the hatable lower who can't help but fail.

And that duck.

You should get around to them both eventually, but The Wire is a masterpiece.

This is just a kind way of saying its boring. The Wire is an interesting show that is much less then the sum of its parts, which became revered due to good acting/casting and previously ignored/under represented subject matter.

Watching The Wire was the Internet Hipster version of when middle class Americans started listening to 2pac and NWA in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZasDTtg1U

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll put it this way OP. I judge people based on their opinion of The Wire. Don't like that show and I'm pretty sure we won't get along.

If you are under 40 years old The Wire.

If you are over 35 years old, married, have kids I'd say Mad Men may strike your heart a lot harder.

Nameless

Mad Men is the best, most creative, and well executed TV show in history. Unlike The Wire it doesn't have 1.5 middling seasons.

Mad Men.

This thread is a good reminder to me that most people don't like complex art. Also anyone who says The Wire is consistently good is not to be trusted, season 5 is teeeerrible.

Mad Men is the best show ever made. Season 1 is probably my least favorite, though i still love it, it's the most on-the-nose with the IT'S THE 60s YO stuff. Seasons 3-7 are just, absolutely perfect television to me. I'll never get something that speaks to me like that again, probably. Just thinking about it makes me want to rewatch it (for the fourth time)

Mad Men is the best, most creative, and well executed TV show in history. Unlike The Wire it doesn't have 1.5 middling seasons.

Mad Men.

I like you

Catvoca

Banned
Two very different shows - depends what you are looking for in a drama

one is like a very left-brain, complex crime drama that goes over the entire scope of a city

the other is a very right-brain, character driven, nearly plotless show that sort exists in a state of constant dour curiousity

both are excellent, but they are trying to do two very different things

That's a very good way of describing it. Both are masters of the type of storytelling they are trying to do, it's really up to the OP for what kind of show they want to watch.

HStallion

This thread is a good reminder to me that most people don't like complex art. Also anyone who says The Wire is consistently good is not to be trusted, season 5 is teeeerrible.

Mad Men is the best show ever made. Season 1 is probably my least favorite, though i still love it, it's the most on-the-nose with the IT'S THE 60s YO stuff. Seasons 3-7 are just, absolutely perfect television to me. I'll never get something that speaks to me like that again, probably. Just thinking about it makes me want to rewatch it (for the fourth time)

This post is a good reminder that most people really love hyperbole. The Wire season 5 has some issues but it is by no means terrible and as a season, is stronger than 95 percent of TV before and after it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

congratulations, you're about to get quoted, a lot.

what an asinine thing to say.

Two very different shows - depends what you are looking for in a drama

one is like a very left-brain, complex crime drama that goes over the entire scope of a city

the other is a very right-brain, character driven, nearly plotless show that sort exists in a state of constant dour curiousity

both are excellent, but they are trying to do two very different things

This. The correct answer is both. Just pick whichever sounds like the one you're in the mood for then watch the other.

Mad Men's characterisation and writing are unmatched but a lot of people find it too slow, and hence boring. I found it more compelling than any other TV drama I've seen. Most of what's important in each season happens under the radar until the final episodes. Its suite of female characters are lightyears ahead of most other TV dramas'.

Nameless

This post is a good reminder that most people really love hyperbole. The Wire season 5 has some issues but it is by no means terrible and as a season, is stronger than 95 percent of TV before and after it.

*Sensible chuckle*

Seasons 3 and 4 are phenomenal, among the best seasons of television ever made without question. Season 1 is very very good, the finale might even elevate it to great. The first half of S2, while impressive on a structural level, is a massive bore, but the second half is tremendous. S5 is average-to decent at best. The drop off in quality was pretty jarring for me.

HStallion

*Sensible chuckle*

Seasons 3 and 4 are phenomenal, among the best seasons of television ever made without question. Season 1 is very very good, the finale might even elevate it to great. The first half of S2, while impressive on a structural level, is a massive bore, but the second half is tremendous. S5 is average-to decent at best. The drop of in quality was pretty jarring for me.

Chuckle all you want but the "bad" season of the Wire is far superior to most TV out there. There are few scenes in TV history that have touched me as much
as Bubbles finally getting to walk up those stairs
or as crushed by
watching poor Dookie shooting up

The Wire is quite possibly one of the best shows I've seen.

For me, MadMen felt like I was being tricked into watching something that was supposed to be deep, but wasn't even interesting. Madmen just doesn't have a good payoff imo. I always felt like I wasted my time waiting for something interesting to happen and I wasn't even enjoying myself along the way.

Chuckle all you want but the "bad" season of the Wire is far superior to most TV out there. There are few scenes in TV history that have touched me as much
as Bubbles finally getting to walk up those stairs
or as crushed by
watching poor Dookie shooting up

No lies there. The worst of the wire is still superb. Man, every season gets me.

Its better then both in more episodes then it isnt

This is very true

Not really, it just means you've got to get invested into the characters each season to get more out of the show. That journey with them is still very enjoyable. With the way the seasons work in regards to adding new plots and characters, things don't jump off right away.

I'd call The Godfather a slow burn as well, but never boring.

TheXbox

Mad Men rules. I'm not sure why people call it a slow burn when every episode and every season culminate with some major development.

Brinbe

The Wire is incomparable.

People shit on s2, but anyone that rewatches the show knows that s2 becomes the best season when going through the show again.

I think Mad Men resonates much more strongly if you're a boomer or older viewer who identifies with living through that period of history.

Mad Men.

giphy.gif

Catvoca

Banned
Mad Men rules. I'm not sure why people call it a slow burn when every episode and every season culminate with some major development.

Yeah, I think by the third episode I was hooked into Mad Men. I loved The Sopranos though, and the later seasons of that show are very much on the same wavelength as Mad Men.

Kuraudo

Banned
Watch them both, alternating a season of each so that you don't get burned out. Start with whichever sounds most interesting to you atm.

Audioboxer

Tried multiple times to get into Mad Men, failed every time. The Wire is untouchable. Although, The Sopranos holds its own against it.

HD wide-screen remaster exists now, although some purists will probably lose their shit and demand 4:3. I haven't seen wide-screen yet myself.

I still love watching this video every now and then https://youtu.be/1lElf7D-An8 Not really major spoilers, but I'd still refrain from watching so you can see it in real time. NSFW warning.

The Wire is incomparable.

People shit on s2, but anyone that rewatches the show knows that s2 becomes the best season when going through the show again.

I think Mad Men resonates much more strongly if you're a boomer or older viewer who identifies with living through that period of history.

I initially disliked season 2 and would skip it when rewatching. I finally watched it all again years ago and hell if you aren't right. It's probably my favorite season.

kc44135

Please watch the wire. I beg of you, OP. It's easily the second best HBO show (Thrones > The Wire), and also my second favorite TV show of all-time (Thrones > The Wire). Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are incredible. 1 is a tad slow, but still great nonetheless (just know that it gets better), and 5 is... a'ight. It's the weakest season by far, but it still good, and there are far worse final seasons out there. Anyway, easy 10/10 show, overall (compared to Thrones, which is 11/10).

Hyun Sai

Nothing is on the level of The Wire.

Nothing.

And the sad thing is I don't think something like this will happen again.

The Wire, easy.

HOWEVER, it is not really a binge show, if that makes sense. If you are going to watch it, please limit yourself to a one-a-day scenario. The biggest piece of The Wire that most people love is the small details. Details that, in a marathon setting, tend to go unappreciated and missed.

Also, captions. Specifically in Season 3 and beyond. I love almost all of the characters, but goddamn do some of them make it a job to figure out what they are saying.

Mad Men. It's more consistent. The characters all grow and go thru an arc that takes them through the 60s. Art direction is also terrific and accurate. The wire is terrific as well. But anyone saying that is no contest doesn't know what they're talking about. Since the next season of game of thrones won't be for another year or two watch both.

Top Bottom