• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess (HD?) Icon Discovered in Wii U eShop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twilight Princess is one of my favorite Zeldas, so I'd definitely buy a HD remaster, day 1. But this is likely just a VC port, so meh. Not a bad thing, but yeah..

Nerrel

A VC release is easily believed, but if it does say "HD" in the title that pretty much seals that it would be a remaster of some sort.

It's honestly not that unreasonable. Every other 3D Zelda has gotten a remake at this point, and all of them have been successful. It's really just a matter of time before Twilight Princess gets a remake. If Nintendo can shit it out in time for the holidays, it would really help them make up for losing Starfox and Zelda. They don't have a big holiday title at all this year, which is very odd (Xenoblade isn't mainstream enough to count). Then again, we certainly would have heard about it by now if that were the case. I also wonder if they have any time to spare with Zelda NX
(/wii u)
and Triforce Heroes coming.

I just hope that if they do a remake that it's not a cheap rush job like WWHD was. That remake barely fixed or even addressed the problems that were integral to the original's criticism. Twilight Princess would really need a shakeup to make the parts in between dungeons interesting and less formulaic.

Snowpeak, City in the Sky, Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, and several other locales are simply some of my favorite places in videogames. There was just something about the layout, music, and atmosphere in general that felt grand and interesting. I don't know how many times I dove from the top of the waterfall at Zora's Domain.

And don't even get me started about fishing.

RK128

Out of all the 3D games in the Zelda series, Twilight Princess is by far the most dated visually; Nintendo must have put a LOT of time to make the game look nicer for the Wii U release (HD ground textures, higher poly models, 1080/60FPS, ect).

But its still a strong game, with a fantastic score, some of the series best dungeons and overall a 'darker' art style that holds up well despite elements of the games presentation being dated. The IR Pointer controls were great to play around with when I got my Wii in 2007, so I hope they give people the option for that or do things the Splatoon way with Gyro aiming.

I wonder if they will fix some of the issues the original release had; the empty Hyrule Field, more extra areas to use the dungeon items, more horse back fights, ect. But likely all we are getting is an HD coat of paint, some small fixes and Nintendo calls it a day and releases a 'cheap' game for early 2016 to pad out the Wii U's release line up.

But its still a strong game, with a fantastic score, some of the series best dungeons and overall a 'darker' art style that holds up well despite elements of the games presentation being dated.

Agreed, and it's nice to see the music get some props from someone other than myself for once.

Golnei

Agreed, and it's nice to see the music get some props from someone other than myself for once.

I like the actual pieces, but the sound quality was awful. In some respects, it was a step down from Wind Waker; which in itself wasn't that much of an evolution from the N64 games. A shame that going by the precedent of OoT/MM3D and WWHD; even if TP gets remastered, they won't touch the music - as Twilight Symphony showed, even bare-bones arrangements for higher-quality synth with a couple of live instruments would make a massive difference.

AGITΩ;181441838 said:
Id rather a skyward sword hd version, but if true, this will do

What it comes down to is that I want both. I think Twilight Princess is in more of a dire need for a remake than Skyward, as Skyward would just simply need a resolution bump due to its art style. Giving Twilight Princess a resolution bump and nothing more would make it uglier.

I like the actual pieces, but the sound quality was awful. In some respects, it was a step down from Wind Waker; which in itself wasn't that much of an evolution from the N64 games.

Perfectly valid thought and I agree that the quality wasn't very good. Still, my ears mostly just pay attention to the actual melodies and thematics.

People do this with... well I'd say Zelda games but it's most things. It's not that the criticism has no validity, it's more like... is it really that big of a deal? The "tear collecting" was happening while you're exploring very atmospheric environments near the beginning before you have complete access to the overworld, so I had no problem with it -- especially as it didn't take that much time to do, like the tadtones in Skyward.
It's not even that I "didn't mind" those sections; I actually liked them. I didn't even consider them a weak point of the game until I started visiting game forums. Now, I think the Tadtones were definitely a weak point in Skyward Sword, though, even though I didn't outright hate it. :p

B4s5C

You are right, they put up WWHD on the eShop two weeks before its actual release date. It was like Sept. 20 and the actual release date was like Oct. 3rd or something like that. It was and still is the only game to be released on the eShop first but I think that was due in large part to the availability of the Wii U bundle (which was out before the game was iirc).

But hell if they did it again with TPHD I'd probably buy it digitally to have it early. :p

I honestly would probably buy both.

Help.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the visuals match that E3 demo I'll be pleased. I can see an early 2016 release, like Majora's Mask 3D, and then Zelda U following during the holidays. Basically an exact release schedule as MM3D and Tri Force Heroes.

If it's going for the E3 2011 looks we're not close to its release at all.

The graphical upgrade shouldn't be more significant that WWHD's was.

RK128

While its audio quality is hit and miss at times, Twilight Princess has one of the best scores in the series (next to Majora's Mask).

The title theme setting setting up such a great vibe when the game opens up, pairing greatly with the imagry of Link riding Epona through the great planes, closing with the music booming while Link as a wolf howling toward the Twilight....beautiful :').

Minda's theme having an ominous and almost haunting theme really drive home her character as both a interesting but scary character despite her small stature.

Faron Woods having this peaceful theme, but coming off after Link facing so much, it has this 'dark' edge to it, as if you are in Links mind; you faced outstanding horrors and your world is completely changed, all the while going back to the place you call home.

The best damn version of Hyrule Field theme in the series is in Twilight Princess; great feeling of adventure all the while hitting the memories of OoT and Majora's Mask :').

And lastly, my favorite theme of the game; Midna's Lament. Playing during a critical role in the game, it gives you the feeling of panic, fear, anger, heartbreak and sadness all for a character that you only just started to really connect with. Fantastic piece overall :').

Mix in all the new versions of songs from OoT and MM through Wolf Howls, dungeon themes that are memorable and the like, and Twilight Princesses score sticks with you :D.

It's not even that I "didn't mind" those sections; I actually liked them. I didn't even consider them a weak point of the game until I started visiting game forums. Now, I think the Tadtones were definitely a weak point in Skyward Sword, though, even though I didn't outright hate it. :p

I'll say that I liked the tear collection just fine, but was just "okay" with the tad tones. However Skyward's tear collection was even better IMO, with some terrific and intense game design. I loved the hell out of those sections.

Damn right. One of my favorite pieces of game music of all time.

NateDrake

If it's going for the E3 2011 looks we're not close to its release at all.

The graphical upgrade shouldn't be more significant that WWHD's was.

Unfortunately that will be the standard any Twilight Princess HD is compared to. Any less and people will wonder why they didn't go that route.

Nerrel

What it comes down to is that I want both. I think Twilight Princess is in more of a dire need for a remake than Skyward, as Skyward would just simply need a resolution bump due to its art style. Giving Twilight Princess a resolution bump and nothing more would make it uglier.

Skyward Sword with 60fps would be a different game. I think the opportunity for enhancement is far greater than TP, because having responsive motion controls is really integral to the gameplay. TP in 1080p/60fps would just look nice... not much else. Aonuma pretty much said as much after testing it in HD for Wii U. Even with a huge visual overhaul, it would still feel a little bland to play.

If all else fails, Dolphin is making some pretty great progress towards a "remake" of sorts.

It's streaming right now: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhGbZ2fQuU

An HD remaster would be incredible but man, I just don't expect anything like that. I'll be shocked if this is anything more than a digital release of the Wii game.

DedValve

Banned
Whatever happened to more Wii Games btw? Are they still doing that? I haven't heard much outside Metroid and Super Mario games being released.

Whatever happened to more Wii Games btw? Are they still doing that? I haven't heard much outside Metroid and Super Mario games being released.

Punch-Out!!
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Pandora's Tower

These are out in addition to Metroid and Galaxy 2. Oh yeah and I believe DKC Returns and Xenoblade are out in EU and Japan has a few games no one else has (like Trauma Team!!)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Skyward Sword with 60fps would be a different game. I think the opportunity for enhancement is far greater than TP, because having responsive motion controls is really integral to the gameplay. TP in 1080p/60fps would just look nice... not much else. Aonuma pretty much said as much after testing it in HD for Wii U. Even with a huge visual overhaul, it would still feel a little bland to play.

If all else fails, Dolphin is making some pretty great progress towards a "remake" of sorts, and it's streaming right now: https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhGbZ2fQuU

Jesus fuck. Youtube Gaming is horrible. Video freezes constantly, then goes at 10x speed to catch up with the sound.

I think this is getting a bit more nitty-gritty into the conversation. For me, the motion controls were perfectly responsive, so in my experience this wouldn't really be a big deal to me one way or the other. However, other players absolutely claim that they were broken and rendered the game unplayable. I have friends that can't get through the first dungeon whereas I've played through it several times with no issues.

That aside, the conversation is mostly on the visual fidelity. I think Skyward Sword is already in a great place, just give it a resolution bump, maybe tinker with some minor details and it would be good to go. Twilight Princess would require some real work.

One thing I really don't like about recent Zelda games is that generic monster encounter music. It's not that big a deal in most instances, but it really ruined this particular moment of the game for me. I really wish they'd make the normal monster battle music a little more interesting for future games.

Illucio

Banned

If all else fails, Dolphin is making some pretty great progress towards a "remake" of sorts.

Skyward Sword at 60fps would still be the same game, the extra frame per second and graphical enhancement won't improve the game whatsoever unless it went with a changed art style like how Wind Waker's art-style changed dramatically when it came to the Wii U. The game will always be terrible because of the motion controls, terrible over-world design, mediocre dungeons, monsters that require absolute precision to defeat and can be stressful to kill with the Wiimote, a boss you have to defeat 4-6 times (lost count), and a freaking annoying as hell companion (I never thought Navi was annoying but Fii really takes the cake for most annoying companion.)

I'd like a Gamecube port of Twilight Princess, I agree it doesn't need the HD treatment but neither does Skyward Sword.

What would you guys think if they revealed the remake and it had a different art style altogether? I think we can all agree that the colors/atmosphere suited the overall tone of the game, but the texture work wasn't on-point. I wonder what a completely new art style for the game would be like and if it would manage to still compliment the original tone. I'm not even saying make it "cartoony" like Wind Waker, but I thought Skyward's art style, regardless of it being far more colorful, worked in darker situations like the underbelly of the Ancient Cistern.

Just a thought. If this is a thing it would likely just be working off the original but with better assets and a resolution bump, but man it'd be interesting one way or the other if they presented an entirely different art style for it.

RK128

I really have to play Skyward Sword at some point, as I had a very bad first impressions with the game :l. Played a demo of it at GameStop and the controls felt horrible. Every single swing didn't respond right and this was after I re-calibrated it. A Wii U version with 60FPS would go a very long way in making the game more playable to people. Plus, if they added in standard controls with the Pro Controller or GamePad as an option for people, more people might love the game.

But between both games, Skyward Sword HD could have more improvements than Twilight Princess just due to controller fixes/tweaks and 60FPS making it far more playable to people.

Either way, some version of Twilight Princess is coming to Wii U and its a great game, so I hope many enjoy it if they never played it before :D.

They're taking their sweet time showing anything but this hideous ground texture/mapping here and having a relatively awful discussion about controllers. Please tell me there's a good YT video/trailer of this instead.

I really have to play Skyward Sword at some point, as I had a very bad first impressions with the game :l. Played a demo of it at GameStop and the controls felt horrible. Every single swing didn't respond right and this was after I re-calibrated it.

*sigh* if anything, I'd be okay with Nintendo redoing Skyward Sword in some capacity to make it "work" for everyone. Some people found the controls great and responsive, others had a completely opposite experience-- and that's sad, because the game is mostly just astounding. I won't apologize for some of the filler, but most games have filler and for me it's not a big deal, but it truly excels when it comes to the story, characterizations, atmosphere, dungeons, bosses, and one of the most ungodly soundtracks I've heard in a game.

It's a shame and damn near criminal that the controls kept many from experiencing all this.

RK128

What would you guys think if they revealed the remake and it had a different art style altogether? I think we can all agree that the colors/atmosphere suited the overall tone of the game, but the texture work wasn't on-point. I wonder what a completely new art style for the game would be like and if it would manage to still compliment the original tone. I'm not even saying make it "cartoony" like Wind Waker, but I thought Skyward's art style, regardless of it being far more colorful, worked in darker situations like the underbelly of the Ancient Cistern.

Just a thought. If this is a thing it would likely just be working off the original but with better assets and a resolution bump, but man it'd be interesting one way or the other if they presented an entirely different art style for it.

Mmm.....the art style is what made the original stand out so much, so playing with the art style might ruin the darker tone the game was trying to utilize :l.

Still, if went the Skyward Sword style and blended WW/TP together art-wise, it could work with the Wii U's HD tech. It would just stand out more, as it would while having the same core, being a completely different game.

That is a great point and I could see Nintendo going that route to save costs with the HD remaster, as it would be an 'cheap' one to tide Wii U owners over until Zelda Wii U comes out.

Nerrel

Skyward Sword at 60fps would still be the same game, the extra frame per second and graphical enhancement won't improve the game whatsoever unless it went with a changed art style like how Wind Waker's art-style changed dramatically when it came to the Wii U.

I don't want to sidetrack things with Skyward Sword talk, but 60fps does make a huge difference in how responsive the remote is. I had some problems playing on Wii, but I generally liked the idea of motion controls. At 60fps (2x game speed) in Dolphin, the sword feels so much more accurate and nimble when moving it around that it's almost tragic the game ended up locked to 30fps.

But yes, we'll probably have a SS remake someday along with TP, so it doesn't really matter either way.

Red Devil

Probably it's just a digital release of the Wii game, I think the GameCube one is better but whatever. I highly doubt this is getting a HD remake anytime soon.

RK128

*sigh* if anything, I'd be okay with Nintendo redoing Skyward Sword in some capacity to make it "work" for everyone. Some people found the controls great and responsive, others had a completely opposite experience-- and that's sad, because the game is mostly just astounding. I won't apologize for some of the filler, but most games have filler and for me it's not a big deal, but it truly excels when it comes to the story, characterizations, atmosphere, dungeons, bosses, and one of the most ungodly soundtracks I've heard in a game.

Like I said, I have to give the game a second shot at some point, so its not like I completely wrote off the game or anything :).

The 3D Zelda that really got me was Majoras Mask and its my utter favorite 3D Zelda, so my enjoyment of Twilight Princess was due to it touching upon the darker elements that MM played with (but not as much) and it 'feeling' like the OoT that I couldn't get into.

I hope that Nintendo just makes a bundle for the Wii U having Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword HD; higher resolutions and control options alongside having slight gameplay fixes here and there. That way people can try both Wii-Era Console Zeldas before diving into Zelda U next fall :).

Nerrel

They're taking their sweet time showing anything but this hideous ground texture/mapping here and having a relatively awful discussion about controllers. Please tell me there's a good YT video/trailer of this instead.

Yeah, they unfortunately really got bogged down trying to setup a comparison and started arguing over a lot of bullshit. The ground there looks bad, but the footage was really good when they were playing through the fire temple.

There is a good video they released recently here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDVY6Q9pfk

The textures are hit and miss, but the effects look pretty great. If they pull back and make it more faithful to the original in a lot of areas, it could end up being a great upgrade.

Mmm.....the art style is what made the original stand out so much, so playing with the art style might ruin the darker tone the game was trying to utilize :l

It's weird. I like Twilight Princess' art style, and it certainly has an art style as everything does, but to me it's not quite unique either. I'm not even a big fan of Wind Waker's art style (sorry bros, the character designs are just dogshit to me), but it's definitely unique and has aged very well because of it. Same for Skyward. Twilight Princess' style is good for what it's trying to convey, but it's not quite as... it's "own thing" as Wind Waker and Skyward. I think that the atmosphere and tone of Twilight Princess could be done with a different art style.

I'm not suggesting changing it drastically, but the same feel could be preserved. It obviously shouldn't look like Wind Waker, nor even a hybrid of Wind Waker and Skyward, and you can strike a similarly dark, "drab" tone but again, I think a "hand drawn" style could be created with the original's tone in mind.

Ōkami

So, like I can see both sides of the argument, regarding of weather is a rerelease of the Wii version or some remaster.

Now people say that it can't be a VC rerelease becase those have some sort of extra details, an outline or something (I honestly don't know and can't find screenshots online).

Now, how do we know that that would be part of the .png image that would be uploaded to the eshop, couldn't the outline or whatever be added on the eshop, does it have some sort of effect like glowing or something?

Also, and more importantly, if they were to do a remaster, why use existing artwork, the Wolf/Link thing is one of the oldest and most common arts of the game, OOT3D, MM3D and WWHD got new art assets for their remakes, why wouldn't this one?

Not trying to disprove anything, just looking a little more.

I'm not expecting anything more than a Wii-on-U digital release; Aonuma's a bit busy, and WWHD was no small effort. Granted, Majora's Mask 3D went from announcement to release in the space of three months (November to February), so anything can happen, especially as Twilight Princess was largely built on the same base code as Wind Waker (as MM was built upon OoT), and for the same platform architecture. But in the case of MM3D we all knew it was coming for ages anyway, as OoT 3D was handled externally by a team that was, this time last year, still unaccounted for.

RK128

It's weird. I like Twilight Princess' art style, and it certainly has an art style as everything does, but to me it's not quite unique either. I'm not even a big fan of Wind Waker's art style (sorry bros, the character designs are just dogshit to me), but it's definitely unique and has aged very well because of it. Same for Skyward. Twilight Princess' style is good for what it's trying to convey, but it's not quite as... it's "own thing" as Wind Waker and Skyward. I think that the atmosphere and tone of Twilight Princess could be done with a different art style.

I'm not suggesting changing it drastically, but the same feel could be preserved. It obviously shouldn't look like Wind Waker, nor even a hybrid of Wind Waker and Skyward, and you can strike a similarly dark, "drab" tone but again, I think a "hand drawn" style could be created with the original's tone in mind.

I guess the best thing Nintendo could do is use higher quality assets, better ground textures, higher poly character models and ensuring a locked frame rate alongside 1080p.

That should be enough for an HD remaster in my eyes at the very least and considering they could use the tech from Zelda U and Wind Waker HD to make it look better, it will likely be a better looking game compared to its Wii and GC versions.

I'll buy it if it's Twilight Princess HD, I will not if it's VC...

Simple as that...

I wonder how Mario Galaxy 2 sales were on Wii U. Or rather, sales for the original Wii games that were ported over and made available on the eshop like Punch-Out in general. I don't have the numbers but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that they probably weren't exceptional, and since they started doing that it tapered off very quickly as there's hardly a selection, especially in the U.S. which hasn't even gotten stuff like Pandora's Tower but then again NOA is a giant piece of shit.

I dunno, I guess my point is that I don't really see them making even the tiniest effort to get just a port of Twilight Princess onto the Wii U. A remake of some capacity is far more likely I feel, all things considered. Then again, when it comes to Nintendo, bizarre things routinely occur.

RK128

I wonder how Mario Galaxy 2 sales were on Wii U. Or rather, sales for the original Wii games that were ported over and made available on the eshop like Punch-Out in general. I don't have the numbers but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that they probably weren't exceptional, and since they started doing that it tapered off very quickly as there's hardly a selection, especially in the U.S. which hasn't even gotten stuff like Pandora's Tower but then again NOA is a giant piece of shit.

I dunno, I guess my point is that I don't really see them making even the tiniest effort to get just a port of Twilight Princess onto the Wii U. A remake of some capacity is far more likely I feel, all things considered. Then again, when it comes to Nintendo, bizarre things routinely occur.

I feel that the issue of Wii Digital Ports not selling is from the requirement of the Wii Mote/Nunchuck. If they could support the normal GamePad controls, I would bet they would sell very well.

Stuff like Punch Out and Xenoblade supporting the GamePad as an controller + Off TV play made them really great deals. Mario Galaxy 2 and Prime Trilogy made you go out to get new controllers (if you never owned a Wii before), so those might of sold worse.

I feel that the issue of Wii Digital Ports not selling is from the requirement of the Wii Mote/Nunchuck. If they could support the normal GamePad controls, I would bet they would sell very well.

I think they would have sold better, for sure. I'm just saying that, well, it would be a Wii port and you would need the proper controller(s) as it wouldn't be the Gamecube version (I guess not anyway?) so... yeah. It would just seem random and kind of pointless to throw it onto the eshop and I doubt it would sell very much. And let's face it, Wind Waker HD set a standard and they know it. Just releasing a straight Wii port of Twilight Princess after how great Wind Waker HD turned out would be up for some serious scrutiny.

I doubt I'm the first to mention it, but the icons for vWii games all have the Wii Banner Branding, right?

cJuxptW.png

Durock

Twilight Princess hasn't aged well in the visuals department. I love the game, but it isn't pretty to look at on an HD screen. Last time I played through it it took several hours for my eyes to adjust. It's one of the downsides of going for a more realist style as opposed to something like The Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. And the motion controls are very outdated. Too much waggle in comparison to SS.

That being said, if it isn't an HD remaster that that takes advantage of Wii U and/or the improved Wii Motion Plus controls, can't say I'm really interested. And this is coming from a huge Zelda fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom