• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy

Me too! Dreamt that Dougie is taken to the twin peaks police station, given pie and coffee by Norma, surrounded by familiar faces and slapped back to himself by Albert.

b9kuE4i.gif

I suck at image/gif editing, just use your imagination and picture Coop instead of Shinji.

Or even better, someone with decent editing skills could you edit Dougie's sex face on the eva pic, that'd be nice.

superfly

I can't stop rewatching gordon coles's dream sequence. Everything about it from the sound design to the colour grading and its overall feeling put hairs on the back of my neck.

Solo

Which theory was that again?

I'll let someone more in tune with the specific details give you a better response, but in brief I think it was in Episode 3, where Dougie first appeared and Cooper disappeared, there were some prominently placed numbers on a clock or dial in in the pink place (or was it on power poles in a later episode? I can't recall) that showed a 3 and a 15, leading people to believe that Cooper disappeared in Episode 3 and shall return in Episode 15.

Or something like that. Someone else will explain it way better.

Zach

So this is kind of disturbing...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/17/man-accused-of-beating-woman-with-baseball-bat-at-/

Jeremy Lindholm who played Mickey in Part 6 (and who seemed super friendly at the Twin Peaks fest) apparently tried to murder his girlfriend with a baseball bat this week when she wouldn't, I shit you not, go buy him some Kool-Aid.

If you don't remember Mickey, he is the guy who rides into town with Carl Rod and tells him about getting a wheelchair for Linda.

1.) I was way more distracted by his acting than Chrysta Bell's.

2.) It's gonna be awkward and unfortunate if he shows up in these last few episodes.

I'll let someone more in tune with the specific details give you a better response, but in brief I think it was in Episode 3, where Dougie first appeared and Cooper disappeared, there were some prominently placed numbers on a clock or dial in in the pink place (or was it on power poles in a later episode? I can't recall) that showed a 3 and a 15, leading people to believe that Cooper disappeared in Episode 3 and shall return in Episode 15.

Or something like that. Someone else will explain it way better.

It's the numbers on the big electrical equipment thing that Coop goes through.

When he first arrives he heads towards it and Naido (the eyeless woman) stops him going towards it. At that time it has a 3 on it. They go upstairs. She throws the switch and gets blasted off into space (and ends up at Jack Rabbit's Palace).

When goes back down, it has a 15 on it, and American Girl sends him through.

I may have the numbers backwards... but I always took it as ensuring that Coop himself came out at the right date/time. Because he had clearly gone back in time (to the events of Sam and Tracy being murdered, which can't be the same day he replaces Dougie, since we know that Tammy flew back from investigating that on the same day Mr C crashes his car and gets taken in). So I thought Naido stops him going through too soon (which presumably would be bad) and changes the time when she fiddles with the weird cylinder on the roof.

We didn't know for sure what Naido's agenda was though, if she was trying to help or sabotage, but after Part 14 I think we can safely put her in the 'forces of good' column.

Some people believe the numbers refer to episode numbers.

Which even if that ends up lining up, I just can't personally see that the creators would have intentionally referred to something so metatextual as episode numbers within the shows narrative.

1.) I was way more distracted by his acting than Chrysta Bell's.

2.) It's gonna be awkward and unfortunate if he shows up in these last few episodes.

Yeah, fingers crossed he's not got any remaining scenes.

Jb

Which even if that ends up lining up, I just can't personally see that the creators would have intentionally referred to something so metatextual as episode numbers within the shows narrative.

I would also find it a little weird. I can't think of a time where this show did this kind of meta reference before;

Which theory was that again?

I got into a lot of detail here.

I may have the numbers backwards... but I always took it as ensuring that Coop himself came out at the right date/time. Because he had clearly gone back in time (to the events of Sam and Tracy being murdered, which can't be the same day he replaces Dougie, since we know that Tammy flew back from investigating that on the same day Mr C crashes his car and gets taken in). So I thought Naido stops him going through too soon (which presumably would be bad) and changes the time when she fiddles with the weird cylinder on the roof.

We didn't know for sure what Naido's agenda was though, if she was trying to help or sabotage, but after Part 14 I think we can safely put her in the 'forces of good' column.

So, basically, you agree with me that machine/room travels through time and the numbers reflect that, but take issue with them referring to exact episode numbers? Haha. Fair enough.

The time travel aspect, at the minimum, was proven true last episode, since Naido got dumped out much later in the timeline than Cooper.

PolishQ

The time travel aspect, at the minimum, was proven true last episode, since Naido got dumped out much later in the timeline than Cooper.

Not necessarily; she could have been falling through the void for days before emerging in the woods.

I still think the main difference between the "3" and "15" outlets was the emergence location (Vegas vs Evil Coop's car), but it could also function as a "hint" that Coop was supposed to come back in Part 3 but will come back in Part 15 instead.

So, basically, you agree with me that machine/room travels through time and the numbers reflect that, but take issue with them referring to exact episode numbers? Haha. Fair enough.

Time travel was established when Coop falls through the floor and ends up at night time in NYC the night Sam and Tracy were killed, after he was looking out at sunny South Dakota and Mr C driving down the road.

Either the scene where Tracy and Sam get killed is a flash forwards the first time we see it, and Mr C is taken into custody the same evening, but not imprisoned until the next day, and Agent Preston flies out, does her full report, and flies back in less than 24 hours after the murders occur, or that scene happens when we first are shown it, before the day Mr C is supposed to go back in, and Coop travelled back in time for a brief moment.

His brain gets fried as he approaches the device for the second time. His 'consciousness' or whatever isn't 'late' arriving. He's got amnesia, much as Major Briggs did after getting out of the White Lodge (or whatever that was). He's just surrounded by unfamiliar places and things, yet every one is calling him Dougie Jones and acting as if he is exactly where he is supposed to be.

That's my take on it.

Coop may regain his senses this weekend. But I don't think it's because we were seeing episode numbers in Part 3 and I seriously doubt they even knew what episodes those scenes would take place in, until they started editing this thing together. The shooting script didn't denote episode breaks by all reports I've heard.

Not necessarily; she could have been falling through the void for days before emerging in the woods.

I still think the main difference between the "3" and "15" outlets was the emergence location (Vegas vs Evil Coop's car), but it could also function as a "hint" that Coop was supposed to come back in Part 3 but will come back in Part 15 instead.

Maybe. But that seems to make Naido one of the bad guys, sabotaging what is supposed to happen (Mr C goes back into the lodge, Coop goes out in his place).

Could still be the case, but after Part 14 it sure as heck seems like Naido is without question one of the good ones. Andy's compassion for her, gets him chosen by the Fireman to be shown what they need to see, and Andy comes out knowing that she must be cared for and kept hidden.

So this is kind of disturbing...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/17/man-accused-of-beating-woman-with-baseball-bat-at-/

Jeremy Lindholm who played Mickey in Part 6 (and who seemed super friendly at the Twin Peaks fest) apparently tried to murder his girlfriend with a baseball bat this week when she wouldn't, I shit you not, go buy him some Kool-Aid.

If you don't remember Mickey, he is the guy who rides into town with Carl Rod and tells him about getting a wheelchair for Linda.

Not even the most ironic Lynch casting.

what's the lead theory on what happened to Agent Desmond

He bent over to pick up the ring, and accidentally knocked himself unconscious. The entire series of Twin Peaks, the events of FWWM and Twin Peaks The Return are all a messed up dream he is having about his colleagues and the case he was working on when he knocked himself out.

That's why nothing supernatural happens in Deer Meadow up to the point he bends over to take the ring.

Part 18 will end with Chris Isaac waking up in Fat Trout Trailer park in Deer Meadow, rubbing the bump on his forehead.

*This theory was suggested as a joke countering the 'Deer Meadow is a dream' theory favored by John Thorne. I first heard it suggested by Scott Ryan of The Blue Rose Magazine and the Red Room Podcast.*

Knowing the Jumping Man will be in it, but not when is really keeping me on edge.

Right? I was worried that his actor was the window washer.

I'm eager to see the return of his character, but equally stressed out about what else we'll likely see at the same time.

I'm more worried about seeing the Part 8 Woodsman again, which seems very plausible at this point.

He's gotta be the one acting as Jefferies, right?

PolishQ

Maybe. But that seems to make Naido one of the bad guys, sabotaging what is supposed to happen (Mr C goes back into the lodge, Coop goes out in his place).

Could still be the case, but after Part 14 it sure as heck seems like Naido is without question one of the good ones. Andy's compassion for her, gets him chosen by the Fireman to be shown what they need to see, and Andy comes out knowing that she must be cared for and kept hidden.

I'm definitely on the "Naido is good" side. Looking back on it, when she flips the switch, she's turning the machine OFF, right? She gets electrocuted, falls into the void, and then the machine powers down.

So ... what if that didn't have anything to do with the destination? What if she disabled a machine that would have killed Coop when he went through the outlet? Maybe the electrical field that zaps Coop's mind is residual energy, a less extreme version of what would have happened if he went in before the switch was flipped...

Solo

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 and 15 didn't have any Dougie/Cooper significance at all. I don't think Lynch cares about plot anywhere near as much as the viewers do.

Moff

I love Dougie and would not mind if Cooper came back in the least 10 minutes of the season or even not at all, but I am convinced he will come back this sunday.

gun_haver

I was just thinking the other day that Blue Rose would be a more appropriate title for this series. It's way more focused on the supernatural, in fact almost entirely, and while Twin Peaks is in the show, it makes up less than 50% of it and the stuff that is set there is almost all to do with some kind of magically influenced happening. This is really a story set across the whole US about wide-ranging events that seem to have originated in a nuclear bomb test in the 1950's.

Given that he's the only character associated with a Linda in the show thus far, there's a decent chance he shows up again.

Counter point, there are loads of characters with the same first name in this show.

Here's hoping.

I was just thinking the other day that Blue Rose would be a more appropriate title for this series. It's way more focused on the supernatural, in fact almost entirely, and while Twin Peaks is in the show, it makes up less than 50% of it and the stuff that is set there is almost all to do with some kind of magically influenced happening. This is really a story set across the whole US about wide-ranging events that seem to have originated in a nuclear bomb test in the 1950's.

Twin Peaks is clearly where everyone is heading though... so I think it still works. Like, if I had a TV show called Mecca, and it was only partially set there, but everyone goes there in the end, it'd make sense.

His brain gets fried as he approaches the device for the second time. His 'consciousness' or whatever isn't 'late' arriving. He's got amnesia, much as Major Briggs did after getting out of the White Lodge (or whatever that was). He's just surrounded by unfamiliar places and things, yet every one is calling him Dougie Jones and acting as if he is exactly where he is supposed to be.

I mean, he has amnesia, sure, but there's zero chance that's all it is, like none. A person with amnesia can act and function fine without their memory. Dougie is something different. His consciousness is not late to arrive; he is a man out of sync with time.

Coop may regain his senses this weekend. But I don't think it's because we were seeing episode numbers in Part 3 and I seriously doubt they even knew what episodes those scenes would take place in, until they started editing this thing together. The shooting script didn't denote episode breaks by all reports I've heard.

So, even if he does return this weekend, you're still going to hand wave the theory? That's silly, to be honest. I'm more than happy to eat crow if it does not pan out, but if he returns, expect a lot of "I called it" gifs to an annoying degree from me.

Also, it's easy as Norma's cherry pie to add the numbers in post. The episode breaks being decided later mean absolutely zero.

If the 3/15 theory pans out....you may get your wish in 2 days!

But I don't want Dougie to disappear and Janey-E's life to be ruined. So I'm conflicted.

You bring up a great point. The people complaining about Cooper being trapped in Dougie for so long and just wanting Cooper to come back are missing out on the brilliance of Dougie himself and his tale.

I think it's great that we're getting a full 10-12 (at least) episodes of Dougie and his adventures --- he's a character that will be sorely missed and appreciated upon rewatches once Cooper (hopefully) returns.

Just think of all the great scenes we would have missed out on if Cooper had returned in, let's say, episode 6. Sure, we would have gotten more time with Cooper, but Cooper has had 2 full seasons already, and may have more yet. Dougie only gets whatever time he's given in Season 3. Let's enjoy it while we can to the fullest.

Ashby

What about that electricity theory? That Naido changed it from DC to AC power when she flipped the switch. Does that square with the 3/15 one?

I mean, he has amnesia, sure, but there's zero chance that's all it is, like none. A person with amnesia can act and function fine without their memory. Dougie is something different. His consciousness is not late to arrive; he is a man out of sync with time.

I don't think there's anything normal about his amnesia, it just seemed like the closest term to explain what his current state is.

So, even if he does return this weekend, you're still going to hand wave the theory? That's silly, to be honest. I'm more than happy to eat crow if it does not pan out, but if he returns, expect a lot of "I called it" gifs to an annoying degree from me.

Also, it's easy as Norma's cherry pie to add the numbers in post. The episode breaks being decided later mean absolutely zero.

It'll take more than Cooper waking up this weekend to convince me that's what those numbers are meant to refer to, yes. Because nothing else in this show has ever broken the fourth wall. So yes, an unconfirmed fan theory that those numbers line up with Coop getting brain fried in Part 3 and waking up in Part 15, will still be an unconfirmed fan theory for me.

What about that electricity theory? That Naido changed it from DC to AC power when she flipped the switch. Does that square with the 3/15 one?

I have no idea what that theory means. I tried to find it, but couldn't ever find a description.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still standing by my prediction from a few weeks back- Cooper either returns at the end of the finale, or just before it starts (end of 16/beg of 17) so we get the finale with Cooper. It would feel really weird to me to hold out on Dougie turning back to Coop so long only to handle it outside the finale in a random, near end episode. I guess a "finale" is an external construct anyways, but it just seems dramatically appropriate at this point.

I'm excited to see Mr. C finally face off against the FBI, sure, but this Vyse/plagiarize battle is the real conflict to watch in the tail end of The Return.

Levito

Banned
I'm excited to see Mr. C finally face off against the FBI, sure, but this Vyse/plagiarize battle is the real conflict to watch in the tail end of The Return.

I think the two assassins Mr. C sent to Vegas will face off with the FBI, Mr. C himself is heading to wherever Phillip Jeffries is.

PolishQ

I think Cooper needs to snap out of it ASAP, primarily because of the Jack Rabbit's Palace portal.

We know the JRP portal is going to do something again at 2:53 the day after Andy went through the portal.

We know Cooper has to meet with the Fireman, as per the scene in Part 1. 2:53 on 10/2 seems like his only chance.

Cooper is seen in a trailer driving a car at night.

My theory: in part 15, Cooper either snaps out of it, or something compels him to drive to Twin Peaks overnight. He's going to be in Twin Peaks by the time the portal opens again.

One thing is bugging me, though. The Fireman saying "you are far away" ...

I'm still standing by my prediction from a few weeks back- Cooper either returns at the end of the finale, or just before it starts (end of 16/beg of 17) so we get the finale with Cooper. It would feel really weird to me to hold out on Dougie turning back to Coop so long only to handle it outside the finale in a random, near end episode. I guess a "finale" is an external construct anyways, but it just seems dramatically appropriate at this point.
I can see him waking up in this next episode, just as it looks like Chantal and Hutch have the better of him, or something similar, then hitting the road and heading to Twin Peaks after touching base with the FBI crew (and promising Janey-E and Sonny Jim that he will be back for them!!!).

But I can also see a lot of other characters involved in saving Dougie from that hit and getting him to Twin Peaks, still fully in Dougie mode, and for everything other than Mr C getting wrapped up without Coop. And in the finale, Coop wakes up and takes out Mr C with no issue at all.

Knowing this show, neither of these plausible sequences of events will happen, and what will happen will be hilarious, and totally out of left field while still making a lot of sense.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think Cooper needs to snap out of it ASAP, primarily because of the Jack Rabbit's Palace portal.

We know the JRP portal is going to do something again at 2:53 the day after Andy went through the portal.

We know Cooper has to meet with the Fireman, as per the scene in Part 1. 2:53 on 10/2 seems like his only chance.

Cooper is seen in a trailer driving a car at night.

My theory: in part 15, Cooper either snaps out of it, or something compels him to drive to Twin Peaks overnight. He's going to be in Twin Peaks by the time the portal opens again.

One thing is bugging me, though. The Fireman saying "you are far away" ...

and then Cooper coming back out of the Lodge after talking to the Fireman at JRP is how he is reunited with Hawk and Andy, who take him back to the police department where he "wakes up," both figuratively and literally

it's poetry goddammit

Ashby

I'm laughing thinking back at MIKE appearing to Dougie and yelling at him to wake up because clearly that dude isn't clued in on what's going on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom