• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is confusing................does this only tally those who watch it live? Because I never watch it live. How can they account for viewership off of TV, such as Amazon streams?

Ratings for a network like Showtime, that doesn't have adverts, are basically irrelevant.

If Showtime hadn't gained as many subscribers as CBS had been hoping, but more people were watching, that would still be worse for their bottom line. The reality is, they gained more subscribers than expected, and people didn't drop their subscriptions after their free trials ended.

That CBS mentioned this when they released their financials, should tell you that the show is a success, at least in terms of making them more money than they predicted. Showtime exec David Nevins said his only regret was not agreeing to David's terms sooner.

How many people were sat watching the show at 8PM on Sunday night doesn't really come into it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is confusing................does this only tally those who watch it live? Because I never watch it live. How can they account for viewership off of TV, such as Amazon streams?

That's the problem with following ratings on Twin Peaks, it's not counting the online audience watching it on services only people watching it on TV, and it's not counting those watching it on demand on their services. It's also not even counting people watching Twin Peaks from other parts of the world on stations other than Showtime which picked it up.

The ratings also don't matter to Showtime, they don't run any commercials they earn money from (only self-made adverts for their own shows), so they don't get money from more people watching live on TV anyways. They're subscription based so what matters is how many subscriptions a show can push. Which as we know from a recent report from last week, Twin Peaks has been doing very well for them in that area, and it's the only area that matters for them (that and to have catalog titles for their service in the future, IE content for people to pay for).

Here's one of the news reports on the matter:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/cbs-earnings-q2-2017.html

CBS earnings, revenue top expectations

CBS reported better-than-expected earnings.
The company said revenue in affiliate and subscription fees grew 38 percent year over year.
CEO Les Moonves said Showtime subscriptions benefited from the return of "Twin Peaks."

The CEO of CBS (who own Showtime) is pointing to the show specifically to explain why they earned more money in Q2 than they had predicted.

And this isn't something cherry picked from comments on a Twin Peaks fan site, this is a story form a major network about CBS earnings.

There's no reason to listen to some asshole's entertainment blog, when he's getting details about the show completely wrong in his hatchet job of a story about the nielson ratings.

Edit: Also, ask yourself, how many foreign markets did Ray Donovan or I'm Dying Up Here sell to?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't normally obsess over ratings but this is a bit disheartening.

Ratings Disaster: Showtime's ”Twin Peaks" Reboot Fails to Make Top 150 Cable Shows for Sunday Night

I hope that the streaming numbers are at least good and I hope that this doesn't stop Frost/Lynch from making season 4 if they want.

I stopped giving this person any credibility when they said episode 14 was bad. The James/Freddie talk went on for a while, but otherwise had some very important stuff happen all over town? Blue Rose finally having more light shed on its formation?

This is one of those cases where I feel like this person is manipulating the numbers to fit his personal bias against the show. It's one thing to hate it - it's a totally different thing to make stuff up.

I stopped giving this person any credibility when they said episode 14 was bad. The James/Freddie talk went on for a while, but otherwise had some very important stuff happen all over town? Blue Rose finally having more light shed on its formation?

This is one of those cases where I feel like this person is manipulating the numbers to fit his personal bias against the show. It's one thing to hate it - it's a totally different thing to make stuff up.

The dream sequence unquestionably moved the plot forwards too. But what can you do?

Interesting that both the 315 and countdown theories point to the next episode being Cooper's return. Gives them more credence.

I'll go into the episode expecting nothing to happen though.

Plum

Interesting that both the 315 and countdown theories point to the next episode being Cooper's return. Gives them more credence.

You hear that sound?

Way off in the distance?

That's Lynch re-editing Episode 15 so that Coop doesn't return. He instead wakes up mid-way through Episode 16 in between two 25 minute scenes of Dr. Amp shovelling himself out of the shit.

You jinxed it. Well done.

Started rewatching the season.

What were some of the theories regarding the voice coming from that black box? Cooper thought he was speaking with Jeffries but it's not him. Whoever it is tells bad Coop that he's going back in tomorrow and that he will be with Bob again.

Forgot this even happened tbh

What were some of the theories regarding the voice coming from that black box? Cooper thought he was speaking with Jeffries but it's not him. Whoever it is tells bad Coop that he's going back in tomorrow and that he will be with Bob again.

I think it is the Woodsman, which makes their inclusion in the mythos and what their game actually is, very interesting.

Either they are associated with no lodge, or the Black Lodge.

JohnDoe

Banned
Prediction: Dougie's gonna be put in a situation to wake him up at the end of episode 15. He's gonna wake up during Episode 16.
Because Lynch and Frost are hell-bent on blueballing us as long as possible lol.

It is in our house now either means The Mother is in the White Lodge (I'm assuming that is her knocking on the door as Coop is leaving.)
OR The Mother is in the Palmer house.
Or why not both 🤔

HotHamBoy

I gotta say, episode 14 was the first episode of the series where I thought "I don't really care for where this seems to be going."

This is the problem with mystery shows where the explanation can never be as satisfying as the ambiguity.

I gotta say, episode 14 was the first episode of the series where I thought "I don't really care for where this seems to be going."

This is the problem with mystery shows where the explanation can never be as satisfying as the ambiguity.

You know where this is going? Do tell.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I can remember a shot early in the season where a small black box getting crushed into a melted little piece in a split second. I believe it was in Buenos Aires. Anyone has a theory on that?

And the last episode where Andy being showed all the stuff in the lodge we also see a shot of Andy who is sort of guiding Lucy with both his hands on her shoulders like she isnt okay or something and he is leading her to where she needs to walk. It reminded me a bit of the beginning stage of Dougies mental state. Was this something whe have seen already in this Season or was this a complete new shot? I cant remember it.

I haven't read this thread in its entirety but I wanted to know what people generally feel about the different COOPS? aside from evil cooper since that's the most obvious one. To me, I really love zombie coop. There's just this tragic, bittersweetness to his entire character since it's essentially Cooper trapped in a shell of sorts as he slowly remembers things via specific keywords. He has heart sinking as well as uplifting moments both simultaneously and it's a weird but wonderful feeling all together.

I really feel lynch/frost couldn't have handled this any better because his awakening will be that much more powerful now that we went through this journey(however short or long that may be) I keep returning to this moment and is the statue reminding him of Sheriff Truman? (that's what I got from it). Whatever the case may be, it's a beautiful moment.

HotHamBoy

I haven't read this thread in its entirety but I wanted to know what people generally feel about the different COOPS? aside from evil cooper since that's the most obvious one. To me, I really love zombie coop. There's just this tragic, bittersweetness to his entire character since it's essentially Cooper trapped in a shell of sorts as he slowly remembers things via specific keywords. He has heart sinking as well as uplifting moments both simultaneously and it's a weird but wonderful feeling all together.

I really feel lynch/frost couldn't have handled this any better because his awakening will be that much more powerful now that we went through this journey(however short or long that may be) I keep returning to this moment and is the statue reminding him of Sheriff Truman? (that's what I got from it). Whatever the case may be, it's a beautiful moment.

Like everything about this season it's pretty divisive.

I like all the coops.

Like everything about this season it's pretty divisive.

I like all the coops.

Figured as much. I adore The Return, the fact that they got most of the characters 20+ years later back together plus continuing the story in interesting and unpredictable ways will never stop being mind blowing to me.

PizzaFace

Banned

I've accepted Dougie now, and accepted his journey is the main crux of this season's story.

My criticism though, is that it doesn't feel like a journey. 14 hours in and Dougie is operating at basically the same level as he was in episode 3, he is a touch more independent, but at this point if Coop is to wake up it will have to mean there is a specific person or action that wakes him up. That to me isn't a journey. I just wish Dougie felt like he'd actually been progressing, but I just don't get that feeling as much as I'd have liked, 11 episodes later.

traveler

Not Wario
They're stealing memes now? I mean, yeah, it was a good one, but... geez, Showtime.

I can't describe how much I hate that name (and Chrysta Bell's delivery certainly didn't help). The FBI part of this show had some seriously questionable writing, but I don't think anything hurt my appreciation of Twin Peaks's goofy-ass government agencies than turning Gordon's overly secret project into what sounds like a loosely-licensed '90s video game/cartoon spin-off.

I'm assuming both the reddit author and showtime came to that idea independently. It's a pretty easy reference to make.

I thought it was Mike. (Potentially Mike inhabiting Jeffries even. It doesn't seem like the Philip Gerrard in the lodge is possessed by Mike anymore, and Mike is one of the few existing characters to have been "with Bob" before.

What if the Fireman was evil all along. Then again the woodsmen spirits came about as a result of a fire and firemen put fires out. So maybe he fucked up somehow and created them

He just seems to be observing the events of episode 8 once the (fire) alarm goes off, and then he reacts by sending the Laura orb. I don't think he's responsible for anything else.

Zoe

And the last episode where Andy being showed all the stuff in the lodge we also see a shot of Andy who is sort of guiding Lucy with both his hands on her shoulders like she isnt okay or something and he is leading her to where she needs to walk. It reminded me a bit of the beginning stage of Dougies mental state. Was this something whe have seen already in this Season or was this a complete new shot? I cant remember it.
I figured that was supposed to be part of the Naido scene that didn't get shown.

TuXx

It's probably Mike (one arm man) he's been manipulating a lot of stuff. And the way he's been moving the ring around, suggest he's up to something either by himself or with Jeffries.

I think it is the Woodsman, which makes their inclusion in the mythos and what their game actually is, very interesting.

Either they are associated with no lodge, or the Black Lodge.

It's a valid theory, and it does sound like it could be the same actor.

That said...

When Mr C got shot, the Woodsmen had the opportunity to retrieve Bob, and while it's still not confirmed, it's looking like they didn't.

mittelos

I figured that was supposed to be part of the Naido scene that didn't get shown.
Either that or still something in the future involving Lucy that we haven't seen yet. My initial thought is that image of he and Lucy is somehow the reason why Andy thinks they should take Naido to the sheriffs office/jail cells. Which reminds me, with both Chad and whatever the hell that other thing is (Billy?) in the other cell, is that really the best/safest place to put her?

bunbun777

Y'all remember when Mike told Cooper about removing his arm, how there was a tattoo on the arm? Remember what it was?

MOM

I can remember a shot early in the season where a small black box getting crushed into a melted little piece in a split second. I believe it was in Buenos Aires. Anyone has a theory on that?
No theory really but Buenos Aires is where Jefferies was taken in Fire Walk With Me, seemingly through electricity.

Guy.brush

Need a little episode 7+ spoiler free help:

Started to watch season 3 with my wife and she is ready to give up on it after seeing the young kid getting run over by the truck in episode 6 and then that out of the blue ice pick stabbing scene, yikes. The kid scene was def. not earned at all, it was just triggering cheap emotions really weird and uneasy feeling.
It feels season 3 has adopted the modern day ultra brutal style, and at least so far it feels like a completely different series than what came before. It all feels super bleak and is missing the charme of a functioning Agent Cooper and the actual town of Twin Peaks is so far only featuring as a side story.
So for me so far it is lacklustre and not really what I loved about Twin Peaks, but to her she reached breaking point because of the violence and has given up.
Is there more stuff like the kid being run over happening in episodes 7 and beyond?
Does it get more like Twin Peaks?

ibrahima

Banned

There's definitely a few bits in the remaining episodes that would provoke a similar reaction.

It does get more like Twin Peaks, but if someone found the first seven episodes unsettling or upsetting I wouldn't want to push watching the remaining episodes on them.

Slaythe

Started to watch season 3 with my wife and she is ready to give up on it after seeing the young kid getting run over by the truck in episode 6 and then that out of the blue ice pick stabbing scene, yikes. The kid scene was def. not earned at all, it was just triggering cheap emotions really weird and uneasy feeling.
It feels season 3 has adopted the modern day ultra brutal style, and at least so far it feels like a completely different series than what came before. It all feels super bleak and is missing the charme of a functioning Agent Cooper and the actual town of Twin Peaks is so far only featuring as a side story.
So for me so far it is lacklustre and not really what I loved about Twin Peaks, but to her she reached breaking point because of the violence and has given up.
Is there more stuff like the kid being run over happening in episodes 7 and beyond?

2 episodes will get "more like Twin Peaks".

But just FYI, the episode you describe is the low point of the season, it was awful and cringe worthy.

They had a really, really, REALLY bad episode later on (12) but it was just bad and felt like a waste (even though it set up cool stuff for future episodes).

So while it doesn't really get "more like Twin Peaks", I'd keep watching. Episode 8 is a special trip. With "earned" things.

120v

time to bail bruh

if you don't yet understand this isn't your dads twin peaks i don't know what to tell you

Violence is sporadic and usually brief but your wife would probably hate episode 10 in particular. I consider episode 6 the worst of the season (along with episode 12) so while the show might not change into the show you want it to be going forward, you still have some of the seasons best episodes to come (8, 11 and 14) and more time spent with Twin Peaks/old characters going forward.

Blader

I had no feelings at all about the kid being run over. It's not it's like this graphic depiction of a child being crushed by a truck, and the reactions of all the extras in that scene are so ridiculous that it ends up feeling like more of a dark comedy vibe than some heartfelt tearjerker.

In any event, Twin Peaks and the people there become much more prominent past episode 8 and, to date, there haven't been any additional scenes of kids being hit by cars.

Guy.brush

I had no feelings at all about the kid being run over. It's not it's like this graphic depiction of a child being crushed by a truck, and the reactions of all the extras in that scene are so ridiculous that it ends up feeling like more of a dark comedy vibe than some heartfelt tearjerker.

In any event, Twin Peaks and the people there become much more prominent past episode 8 and, to date, there haven't been any additional scenes of kids being hit by cars.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Convinced my wife to watch ep7 and it was a lot better. Finally some plot stuff starting to come together and it didn't stall out that much (other than the ridiculous brushing the floor for 3 minutes scene)

The thing with the kid is that if you have small kids prepping to go to school and the way to school is riddled with streets and crossings, a scene like this is really hart hitting and not something you want on an evening trying to get some escapist entertainment going.

gun_haver

People will say it gets more like Twin Peaks S1/2, but it doesn't really and yes there's more brutality to come. It's really up to you if you want to continue but if you do I think adjust your expectations in line with what you've seen - it has a lot of surprises to come, and a lot of good stuff, but very little of it is what you say you're looking for.

gun_haver

I don't normally obsess over ratings but this is a bit disheartening.

Ratings Disaster: Showtime’s “Twin Peaks” Reboot Fails to Make Top 150 Cable Shows for Sunday Night

I hope that the streaming numbers are at least good and I hope that this doesn't stop Frost/Lynch from making season 4 if they want.

Uh, this is a terrible article. It's just 'twin peaks is doing shit ratings and that's a good thing because i can't be bothered connecting up its plot so it's all just random nonsense and it's shit i hate it'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom