• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Thanks for all the comments guys! Convinced my wife to watch ep7 and it was a lot better. Finally some plot stuff starting to come together and it didn't stall out that much (other than the ridiculous brushing the floor for 3 minutes scene)

The thing with the kid is that if you have small kids prepping to go to school and the way to school is riddled with streets and crossings, a scene like this is really hart hitting and not something you want on an evening trying to get some escapist entertainment going.

Ah, gotcha. Totally understood.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Convinced my wife to watch ep7 and it was a lot better. Finally some plot stuff starting to come together and it didn't stall out that much (other than the ridiculous brushing the floor for 3 minutes scene)

The thing with the kid is that if you have small kids prepping to go to school and the way to school is riddled with streets and crossings, a scene like this is really hart hitting and not something you want on an evening trying to get some escapist entertainment going.

You're gonna love the next one! 🌚

Need a little episode 7+ spoiler free help:

Started to watch season 3 with my wife and she is ready to give up on it after seeing the young kid getting run over by the truck in episode 6 and then that out of the blue ice pick stabbing scene, yikes. The kid scene was def. not earned at all, it was just triggering cheap emotions really weird and uneasy feeling.
It feels season 3 has adopted the modern day ultra brutal style, and at least so far it feels like a completely different series than what came before. It all feels super bleak and is missing the charme of a functioning Agent Cooper and the actual town of Twin Peaks is so far only featuring as a side story.
So for me so far it is lacklustre and not really what I loved about Twin Peaks, but to her she reached breaking point because of the violence and has given up.
Is there more stuff like the kid being run over happening in episodes 7 and beyond?
Does it get more like Twin Peaks?

I would stop watching, sadly.

Your wife might have some trouble watching certain scenes in later episodes...

And it never becomes what you're looking for. There are some lighthearted scenes but it is mostly bleak and fucked.

But that is the point.

Frost_Ace

The thing that appeared in the glass box and killed the couple and spewed out BOB in 1945.

Oh ok, did someone ever mention a mother in the show? I only remember the second lady in the structure where Cooper found Naido mentioning her.

EDIT: btw I rewatched ep 14 and Naido is seriously creeping me out, those fuckig eyes and her cry...

EdmondD

Y'all remember when Mike told Cooper about removing his arm, how there was a tattoo on the arm? Remember what it was?

MOM

If you turn the phrase "WOW,BOB,WOW" upside down it becomes "MOM,BOB,MOM" Mom obviously refers to Mother/The Experiment. Holy shit.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh ok, did someone ever mention a mother in the show? I only remember the second lady in the structure where Cooper found Naido mentioning her.

EDIT: btw I rewatched ep 14 and Naido is seriously creeping me out, those fuckig eyes and her cry...

The show proper has yet to address her as 'Mother', but a section of the Secret History of Twin Peaks book mentions Jack Parsons, a rocket engineer involved with the occult religion Thelema. Parsons attempted rituals to summon Babylon, also known as the Mother of Abominations. While Parsons was not directly involved with Project Trinity, which we saw in Episode 8, it is theorized that the figure we see expelling BOB out into our world is, in fact, that same creature.

Though as with most things, it's hard to tell if what's mentioned in TSHOTP is directly tying everything together with these real-world people and events, or if it's just Mark Frost showing his inspirations in a unique way.

I don't normally obsess over ratings but this is a bit disheartening.

Ratings Disaster: Showtime’s “Twin Peaks” Reboot Fails to Make Top 150 Cable Shows for Sunday Night

I hope that the streaming numbers are at least good and I hope that this doesn't stop Frost/Lynch from making season 4 if they want.

There are too many stretched out scenes that test the patience of the viewer, I think 13 or 14 episodes would have been better. I'm just glad that this time the whole season was finished before airing.

Don't agree with their opinion on Episode 14 at all, if every episode was like that, fewer people would have jumped ship.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think American Girl refers to the Experiment as 'mother' in episode 3, when she's urging Cooper to hurry and leave.

Yeah, Frost_Ace does mention that one instance, but AFAIK any official documentation or credits for it do refer to it as 'The Experiment' instead of 'Mother'. The credits aren't super reliable, since they do like to hide names of certain characters until its appropriate, so it's still a bit nebulous unless you dig in to the lore in the book.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
DGLNhcKXgAERJe3.jpg

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lmao

the Audrey stuff can't possibly be "real," whatever that actually means in this show

voodew

Neo Member

Be sure to tell us about your guys' experience with Part 8. Heard it's a real keeper to those who were on the edge of dropping the show.

hobozero

Interesting that both the 315 and countdown theories point to the next episode being Cooper's return. Gives them more credence.

I'll go into the episode expecting nothing to happen though.

Don't forget the Ep 12 exchange between the Mitchum Bros.

"I hate that Dougie Jones so much. I can't wait to kill him..."
"Can you wait 3 more hours?"

Futureman

My GF got me the room 315 Great Northern keychain for my birthday. I couldn't find my keys for the past week but they just turned up today... I'm going to take that as a sign that Coop is back next episode!

Chitown B

I'm rewatching the season, and I'm on ep 2. When Dark Cooper is on the bed talking to Daria, he says "This is quite an interesting thing to think about" same as Gordon in episode 14.

Also it really does seem like things are out of order. They find the piece of hand from Ike the Spike in the trunk of the car in Ep 1.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Also it really does seem like things are out of order. They find the piece of hand from Ike the Spike in the trunk of the car in Ep 1.

It wasn't Ike's, was it? I thought that was like Hasting's secretary DNA, which was how they connected the homicide to him. EDIT: Crap, double post.

Chitown B

I feel like the Cooper outlet stuff happens right when the 2:53 stuff happens in the woods in ep 14. That's maybe why when Truman calls Gordon he doesn't mention the Great Northern key.

edit: Seems that the point where Coop changes to catatonic is that second zap from the outlet with the puff of smoke. You can see his expression with his eyes widening like something happened. Then he's completely emotionless after. And gets sucked out.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
WTF at Andy being the one sucked in with The Fireman.

But I'm hopeful for 3.15. We need Dale back for 4 episodes to make sense of everything.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just started with TSHOTP and its really interesting. I am just 18 pages in or something.
There is passage in the early chapter of the book wich tells the story about

a explorer working for the president back in 1804 who is exploring the area where nowadays Twin Peaks is at.
He meets with a native American Tribe who are called Twisted Hair. They gave the explorer a map of the area wich descriptions reminded me about the map in the owl cave and the owl ring. In a letter he send to the president he wrote that he went on to explore the map and then wrote something about a place he had found on wich the president tought he had been drugged or suffered malaria because it doenst make any sense.
The passage he wrote says this about the place:

"Lights from the sky, the silvery spheres.... music, like some heavenly choir... Fire that burns but does not consume... colors unseen or unimagined, flowing from all things... gold, all gold, bright and shining..."

Later he wrote that when when he went back to the group (who didnt went with him to that place) the next thing:

"........ i have made no mention of what i have experienced above the falls. No one else who accompanied me appears to recollect any part of it......"

To me it sounds a bit like the same experience Andy had this last episode.. he will also be the only one of the group to remember the events he had seen.
any thoughts on this? Dunno if its already debated but i thought to leave it here.

That is very clearly a reference to the place near Jackrabbit's Palace. It's really amazing how Mark Frost wrote that book, filled it relevant information and spoiled nothing. That is serious brilliance.

Guys. Please clearly mark what spoilers are for if you're putting them in, and if they're jokes, please don't use the spoiler tags. At least, not if you want me to read them.

Also, you don't need to spoiler tag anything that has already been released, that includes TSHOTP.

Oh, and I'm laughing my ass off at someone not referring to Meriwether Lewis by name, but just calling him an 'explorer'. :p

The Blue Rose team now know about Dougie. Gordon's got men on it. And they very least I hope they find him in 15.

Chantal and Hutch possibly showing up to kill him in this episode makes me think it's plausible he wakes up. But then we might get a repeat of what happened with Ike the Spike.

I think it's more likely that only happens right before or during the finale. But we shall see. Either way, I don't need it to happen. I'm happy with more Dougie and I'm happy with more Coop.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Chantal and Hutch possibly showing up to kill him in this episode makes me think it's plausible he wakes up. But then we might get a repeat of what happened with Ike the Spike.

I think it's more likely that only happens right before or during the finale. But we shall see. Either way, I don't need it to happen. I'm happy with more Dougie and I'm happy with more Coop.

I'm super happy with Coop. Who knew Kyle could play an entity that threatening. It's like the manic evil of Bob mixed with the 4D chess of Cooper.

Hoping the new episode has an fbi moment like in the last.

That episode was probably my favorite out of the season so far and the only way the next episode can be as good is only if copper comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom