• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sarah = Mother thing bothers me at one level.

The Mother is this all powerful being who literally created Bob and is the big baddie of sorts from what we know.

So...why would someone far more powerful than Bob be going around possessing people in Twin Peaks? Seems like it would be below her.

Maybe the frogmoth allows the Mother to control Sarah. Sort of like a puppet or proxy.

Las far as Audrey's scenes go, they definitely have a surreal and dreamlike quality to them. I wouldnt worry about their being a disappointing payoff if that turns out to be the case and provided one cares about those concepts and themes. They are Lynch's wheelhouse.

Chitown B

Yep but as much as I enjoyed TSHOTP, I'm still annoyed by the inconsistencies. Frost suggested there was a reason for them, but no sign of it yet with three hours to go.

what pisses me off about that book is how awesome and knowledgeable Tammy is, and how awful she is on the show.

Maybe the frogmoth allows the Mother to control Sarah. Sort of like a puppet or proxy.

it does seem like she's fighting it, in the meeting at the door with Hawk

traveler

Not Wario
Remember, Judy has a place in Seattle. I feel like a lot of theories don't account for this bit- I don't see it being Sarah as she's never been associated with the city and one doesn't get the sense she leaves home often.

Re:Audrey- I'm assuming she came out of her coma at some point, but, like others said, she isn't somewhere "normal" anymore, whether that's institutionalized, dead, in another coma, or in one of the lodges, I don't know.

The inconsistencies could be something sort of like Lost season 6-
We're not seeing one timeline out of order; we're seeing two or more completely different timelines
- I don't see how it'd fit together any more easily, granted, but it's a possibility that I haven't seen raised.

PolishQ

Things from the trailers that we haven't seen yet:

- Cooper emerging from the darkness
- Cooper walking down a dark hallway with someone at his side
- Cooper driving at night
- Cooper standing next to someone outdoors
- Shaky shot of the convenience store staircase
- Andy with picnic basket in parking lot

I would never have guessed that this many trailer scenes would be from the final three episodes!

The inconsistencies could be something sort of like Lost season 6-
We're not seeing one timeline out of order; we're seeing two or more completely different timelines
- I don't see how it'd fit together any more easily, granted, but it's a possibility that I haven't seen raised.

Speaking of that, it occurred to me that the convenience store might be traveling through time -- when it gets all stuttery and smoke billows out, that could be the store preparing to "jump". We do see it fade away in part 15. Maybe we saw it "arrive" in part 8? In which case the woodsmen and the whole "this is the water" broadcast could be an effort to change something in the past. But directed by who?

Another thought - the Jeffries kettle emits smoke. The convenience store emits smoke. Is that the same smoke? Does Jeffries control the convenience store and the woodsmen, or is he a prisoner there?

Is there a fan edit that takes out Jame's storyline from the second half of season two? a friend of mine wants to get into the show but I don't wanna put her throught that awful experience.

There's one called Northwest Passage which turns it into something like a 10 hour version of the Laura Palmer mystery. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it does pull some stuff in from the last episode. It's an okay watch.

Linkin112

Things from the trailers that we haven't seen yet:

- Cooper emerging from the darkness
- Cooper walking down a dark hallway with someone at his side
- Cooper driving at night
- Cooper standing next to someone outdoors
- Shaky shot of the convenience store staircase
- Andy with picnic basket in parking lot

I would never have guessed that this many trailer scenes would be from the final three episodes!
I feel like the first one was probably just a promo shot and not actually in the show. Also the Andy scene has happened, can't remember which Part it was in though.

Big One

Banned
This makes a lot of sense to the point it's probably true, lol. Remember in the recent episode Philip Jefferies tells DoppelCooper that he doesn't even have his number, so the person talking to him is likely the Mother or someone related to the Mother.

The only thing I dislike about the Mother being Sarah Palmer is that it raises a lot of questions about her original role in the series. Also how in the world do they plan on defeating the Mother? I can see the characters conquering Bob, but the Mother is a whole different beast. I really think we're gonna get a non-ending here that resolves the entire Bob/Cooper storyline but will leave everything else up in the aie.

g11

I'm down with that theory except for the part where it implies
The Mother has been inside Sarah the whole time.
There's no evidence of that at all.

This is really interesting, how Dougie's antics with the plug this week line up to the roadhouse scene. Coincidence or planned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJ__doruW4

That's pretty interesting but honestly no idea what that could mean right now.

Linkin112

I do not remember seeing this picnic scene in any episode either. I think people are getting confused with the trailer occasionally airing before episodes, esp early on.
I wanted to say I recall it happening in the episode we first learn about Jack Rabbit's Palace, but I can't confirm since I'm at work. I could very well be wrong though.

Levito

Banned
I'm down with that theory except for the part where it implies
The Mother has been inside Sarah the whole time.
There's no evidence of that at all.

Sarah has always had something weird going on with her though at least. Seeing that white horse in her living room, and giving Major Briggs that message in the season 2 finale for example.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I still think the girl in Episode 8 was Sarah.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Sarah has always had something weird going on with her though at least. Seeing that white horse in her living room, and giving Major Briggs that message in the season 2 finale for example.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I still think the girl in Episode 8 was Sarah.

Yeah, doesn't make any sense for that girl to be someone else, even though according to canon Sarah would be slightly younger than what that girl looked like at that time.

Haven't gone back more than a few pages, so sorry if this is a repost. Gonna go back to revisit a theory I had earlier about the show being about the viewers' relationship to it. I already said that the cops and Gordon seem to mirror our theorizing, looking for meaning in symbols etc.

I think the Audrey scenes mirror this too, but from a different perspective. In this episode, especially with crawling girl, it fits the context.

Audrey = the audience
Billy = the show we want, the satisfaction we want
Charlie = the show we're getting

It doesn't really matter if she's in a coma or not. All the scenes are about her wanting Charlie to be something he's not. "He's Billy, I'm Charlie".

We want Cooper being Cooper, we want Twin Peaks being Twin Peaks, but things didn't end up that way. We ended up being married to someone we didn't envision ourselves with, and the deal we thought we entered into turned out to not be what we wanted. But we're stuck in it. We can't quit the relationship. We're stuck waiting for it to change. But it won't.

DJMicLuv

I read the frequent 'I'm sleepy' from Charlie being related to the coma in some way. She franticly wants to leave but her excuses to not do so are always being blamed on Charlie even though he never prevents her. I know I'm wrong but it just strikes me as weird how he uses the word 'sleepy' so often.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Audrey = the audience

Hahaha this is actually something I had thought of as well but not directly, I was thinking of it as "man audrey really wants to participate in this show but she keeps self sabotaging, it's almost like she's supposed to be an outsider's perspective..."

Corpsepyre

Banned
Haven't gone back more than a few pages, so sorry if this is a repost. Gonna go back to revisit a theory I had earlier about the show being about the viewers' relationship to it. I already said that the cops and Gordon seem to mirror our theorizing, looking for meaning in symbols etc.

I think the Audrey scenes mirror this too, but from a different perspective. In this episode, especially with crawling girl, it fits the context.

Audrey = the audience

It doesn't really matter if she's in a coma or not. All the scenes are about her wanting Charlie to be something he's not. "He's Billy, I'm Charlie".

We want Cooper being Cooper, we want Twin Peaks being Twin Peaks, but things didn't end up that way. We ended up being married to someone we didn't envision ourselves with, and the deal we thought we entered into turned out to not be what we wanted. But we're stuck in it. We can't quit the relationship. We're stuck waiting for it to change. But it won't.

Lol. Nah man.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know if this was posted along with that other theory, but I find this post about Audrey rather compelling (when it's coherent anyway).

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6vg3y5/s3e15_i_think_i_know_where_audrey_is/

It just might explain why the show keeps focusing on these random people and their conversations at the Roadhouse.

MSYy4OU.gif

Chitown B

watching the Audrey scenes again. She's 100% in a coma and just overhearing garbage people are saying near her. None of it goes together at all. And that's why he seems to know all these things that he's telling her.

I don't know if this was posted along with that other theory, but I find this post about Audrey rather compelling (when it's coherent anyway).

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6vg3y5/s3e15_i_think_i_know_where_audrey_is/

It just might explain why the show keeps focusing on these random people and their conversations at the Roadhouse.

i'm still prescribing to the idea that the Roadhouse stuff is just a series of vignettes (we all know Lynch loves that kind of storytelling) that reflect that the town of Twin Peaks is still up to no good and has plenty of soap opera goings-on.

but yeah that Wood theory could happen too. really with this show

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLLLLLLE

Big One

Banned
As for Sarah Palmer being Mother/The Experiment...I'm not quite convinced either. In fact, I think the idea of the show is to lead us into believing that. Like when Coop comes back, he's going to "solve" the mystery and figure out that Sarah Palmer = The Experiment and confronts her about it, but the big TWEEST will be that she isn't and the season ends on a cliffhanger.

Flipyap

what pisses me off about that book is how awesome and knowledgeable Tammy is, and how awful she is on the show.
I dunno, Tammy doesn't seem any less knowledgeable and she's certainly not as close-minded as Tamara.
All Tamara ever did was fact checking and she wasn't even bright enough to leaf through the dossier to check if the Archivist outs himself on the final page and then, at the end of this process that took days, she's like "Eureka! This mystery is finally solved!" Thanks for wasting everyone's time, Tamara. Fuck you, Tamara.

Steamlord

Audrey = the audience

Lol. Nah man.

I mean, it's not really a theory, it's just an interpretation.

As for Sarah Palmer being Mother/The Experiment...I'm not quite convinced either. In fact, I think the idea of the show is to lead us into believing that. Like when Coop comes back, he's going to "solve" the mystery and figure out that Sarah Palmer = The Experiment and confronts her about it, but the big TWEEST will be that she isn't and the season ends on a cliffhanger.

That sounds horrible, no.

If the season ends on a cliffhanger, I want it to be an episode of Dr Amp's show where, after his shovel ad, the camera returns to the studio and the woodsman is on screen crushing Jacobi with one hand, cigarette in the other and reciting his infamous poem over and over, while the credits roll over the top.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I know it's a different house but it seems where Jeffries stand there is the same sort of stuff behind on the wall as in the Palmer/Woodmens house. Honestly cant remember the scene of Jeffrey myself but i i thought it was interesting

cCxN8mt.png

I mean, it's not really a theory, it's just an interpretation.

I didn't know there was a distinction. But yeah, it's an interpretation or a reading. I'm not saying anything of what I say are parts of the plot itself. But I think there's a lot of arguments that support the reading. Way too many of the vignettes are about waiting for something, about anticipation and denied gratification. Set up and no pay off.

The Audrey scenes make no sense, have little or no connection with anything, but mirror the fans' reaction. Everyone is hating on the Audrey scenes for not being what they expected her comeback to be like. She's hating on Charlie for not being what she wants. And I think it's not too far a stretch to assume that Lynch would be able to anticipate that reaction by setting up the Audrey scenes that way. It'd explain why the first Audrey scene was so intensely not fan service.

Whether or not the scenes are explained to be her in a coma, or them just revealing Billy eventually, that doesn't mean the scenes could be there to serve that purpose.

I've been listening to the Fire Walk With Me soundtrack a lot lately. I'd always mentally grouped it in the show's soundtrack, but this is dripping with way more jazz sadness. Great listen on it's own, if anyone's looking for some good evening tunes.

PolishQ

I know it's a different house but it seems where Jeffries stand there is the same sort of stuff behind on the wall as in the Palmer/Woodmens house. Honestly cant remember the scene of Jeffrey myself but i i thought it was interesting

In the Jeffries scene, it's a scorch mark caused by his teleportation.

The real question is why is the wallpaper missing in the woodsmen picture (except for a tiny bit of it visible between them)?

Edit: Never mind, I thought we saw the staircase fully wallpapered in part 15 but I was wrong.

I've been listening to the Fire Walk With Me soundtrack a lot lately. I'd always mentally grouped it in the show's soundtrack, but this is dripping with way more jazz sadness. Great listen on it's own, if anyone's looking for some good evening tunes.

it's got that syggggamore trees too

i had taped that off the original airing and only had it through that for years until FWWM and the soundtrack came out

it's got that syggggamore trees too

i had taped that off the original airing and only had it through that for years until FWWM and the soundtrack came out

Sycamore Trees pretty much defines Twin Peaks for me. I'd love for it to pop up again in at some point in the remaining episodes of The Return. Even hearing it's motif pop back up in 'Heartbreaking' was thrilling.

Steamlord

I didn't know there was a distinction. But yeah, it's an interpretation or a reading. I'm not saying anything of what I say are parts of the plot itself. But I think there's a lot of arguments that support the reading. Way too many of the vignettes are about waiting for something, about anticipation and denied gratification. Set up and no pay off.

The Audrey scenes make no sense, have little or no connection with anything, but mirror the fans' reaction. Everyone is hating on the Audrey scenes for not being what they expected her comeback to be like. She's hating on Charlie for not being what she wants. And I think it's not too far a stretch to assume that Lynch would be able to anticipate that reaction by setting up the Audrey scenes that way. It'd explain why the first Audrey scene was so intensely not fan service.

Whether or not the scenes are explained to be her in a coma, or them just revealing Billy eventually, that doesn't mean the scenes could be there to serve that purpose.

A theory would have more to do with speculated intent; however, the audience is free to read whatever they want into it, regardless of the creators' intent, provided they can support their argument. It seems reasonable to me to see Audrey's scenes as metacommentary even if that's not their purpose within the show.

FWWM Soundtrack is better than the twin peaks soundtrack pound for pound. I still Laura palmers's theme is the best track overall though.

PolishQ

Agreed, it's really great. I have to admit, even though I like what The Return is doing with its sound and music design, I was hoping we'd get a soundtrack more like FWWM's. Great mix of mournful, mysterious, melancholy jazz (and darker than most of the original series' score). Seems like this time around they could only afford to have Badalamenti write and record solo piano and synth pieces. Imagine if they had teamed him up with Bohren and Der Club of Gore?

FWWM Soundtrack is better than the twin peaks soundtrack pound for pound. I still Laura palmers's theme is the best track overall though.
As far as what they released, I'd agree. I really wished they'd do a nice official release that includes all the music from the TV series that isn't on that soundtrack. Sycamore Trees is really a TV series song, but it's on the FWWM soundtrack, obviously.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Agreed, it's really great. I have to admit, even though I like what The Return is doing with its sound and music design, I was hoping we'd get a soundtrack more like FWWM's. Great mix of mournful, mysterious, melancholy jazz (and darker than most of the original series' score). Seems like this time around they could only afford to have Badalamenti write and record solo piano and synth pieces. Imagine if they had teamed him up with Bohren and Der Club of Gore?

Would be the best thing EVERRRRR.

Levito

Banned

I fucking LOVE The Pink Room, honestly top 5 Badalamenti tracks. I want it to play every time I enter a room.

A theory would have more to do with speculated intent; however, the audience is free to read whatever they want into it, regardless of the creators' intent, provided they can support their argument. It seems reasonable to me to see Audrey's scenes as metacommentary even if that's not their purpose within the show.

Just to be clear, I'm believe that Lynch/Frost put those scenes in there for the explicit purpose of being metacommentary, regardless of their role in plot. I think the point of them is to provide the metacommentary, although they might also have some significance to the whole deal with Audrey's son. But regardless of what we find out about their whole family situation, just mapping out "who's who" doesn't really serve a purpose in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom