• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Linkin112

I want a Cooper/DoppelCooper showdown, so I hope Freddie's destiny isn't to just cave DoppelCooper's chest in. That'd be a bit anticlimactic imo.

Chitown B

Here's the OT1 wall of shame by the way.

shame0kp70.png

it's a top 20 so I'm included

210!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I was absolutely counting on Cooper snapping into action immediately after regaining his faculties and was not dissapointed. Don't know why anyone would want or expect a slow transition.

Cooper's going to accomplish more in two 1/2 hours than everyone else has accomplished in the previous 16 1/2. Believe it.

EdmondD

I thought tulpas was just another word for doppleganger at first. I have been reading about it and I am gaining a better understanding of it. A doppleganger seems to inherently exist. Your shadow self which lives in the Black Lodge. A tulpas is a much more fragile being. A manufactured fleeting existence. I don't think it needs to neccesarily be a doppleganger. A tulpas is basically created out of thin air.
In TP Doop has been creating tulpas from existing people. Knock-off half-assed dopplegangers created for his various evil schemes. They can fake being a human well enough but they are just not right. Dougie is a tulpas created from a doppleganger infested by BOB. It's fucked up. Someone suggested Andrey maybe a tulpas and now I'm starting to think this is true. Bill's wife was probably a tulpas. I think maybe the 119 drugged out lady is a tulpas too. It's like skrulls anyone can be a tulpas!

Speaking of Tulpas, I guess we can assume Bill Hasting's wife was one. She had a similiar weird effect when she was shot.

Edit: EdmondD totally just said this, ha ha

Linkin112

Speaking of Tulpas, I guess we can assume Bill Hasting's wife was one. She had a similiar weird effect when she was shot.

Edit: EdmondD totally just said this, ha ha
Haven't rewatched any episodes yet, but I also WANT to say someone mentioned that Bill's wife was missing rather than dead. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. That would totally go against the point of DoppelCooper using the lawyer's gun on her

Haven't rewatched any episodes yet, but I also WANT to say someone mentioned that Bill's wife was missing rather than dead. Could be wrong though.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. That would totally go against the point of DoppelCooper using the lawyer's gun on her

The question is: why didn't she disappear to the Black Lodge when Diane did?

EdmondD

Also if you create a tulpas you have some control over it I think. Over time the tulpas becomes more autonomous and becomes its own individual. Diane was seemingly trying to fight Doop's control but could never quite break free. Dougie broke free and was living his own life or Doop just didn't care to control him because he was just going to get sucked back up into the Lodge.

Maybe the people Tulpas are created from are transported to a fake reality inside the Black Lodge and that explains Audrey's situation.

Edit: There's a bunch of stuff that contradicts that come to think of it.

EdmondD

Aren't the Mitchum brothers murderers?
I'm not sure but they did plan to kill Dougie. They really have seemed to change though.
Maybe the people Tulpas are created from are transported to a fake reality inside the Black Lodge and that explains Audrey's situation.

Edit: There's a bunch of stuff that contradicts that come to think of it.

If Audrey is a tulpa I think Real Audrey is kicking around somewhere. Real Diane I think is dead. Doop made a tulpas then disposed of her. He's a evil bastard so he would do something like that.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
If dougie was created from doop, why was dougie simply dumb and not evil ? Or is him going to hookers and gambling a part of his "dark" side?

I guess real dougie wasn't all that great of a person either come to think of it.

Zoe

If dougie was created from doop, why was dougie simply dumb and not evil ? Or is him going to hookers and gambling a part of his "dark" side?

I guess real dougie wasn't all that great of a person either come to think of it.
Dougie was in on the insurance scams.

If Audrey is a tulpa I think Real Audrey is kicking around somewhere. Real Diane I think is dead. Doop made a tulpas then disposed of her. He's a evil bastard so he would do something like that.

What I meant was that we've been seeing the real Audrey "dreaming" inside the Lodge while the tulpa is out in the world somewhere.

She has said something like "I feel like I'm somewhere else" to Charlie so... maybe?

EdmondD

Because he's Doop lite. Cheap knock off shit that can't compare to the real deal. Remember when they threw up garmanbozia? Doop threw up gallons of it and Dougie just threw up a little bit. He still got evil inside him just nothing like Doop. Yeah the hookers and stuff is part of his dark side but he's just kind of a goofy idiot.

I thought Coop created Dougie. He said "I need you to make another one" so wouldn't the first one be Dougie?

Edit: Actually Mike didn't recognize Dougie in episode three, so that can't be true. I'm confused.

Linkin112

I thought Coop created Dougie. He said "I need you to make another one" so wouldn't the first one be Dougie?
I think that was just meant as "I need you to make another Dougie", doesn't mean Cooper made the first. It wouldn't make any sense for him to make Dougie in the first place.

DrEvil

So. OG Dougie was a copy of a copy. Makes sense why he was fat and a lowlife since he was based off Doop.

carda114

It sort of baffles me people are still confused or mistaken regarding Dougie Jones by now.

He was manufactured by the doppelgänger.

He was not evil, but scummy. Insurance fraud, gambling addition, cheating on Janey-E. But his purpose is to go back in instead of the doppelgänger, and when Cooper comes out he replaces Dougie instead. Because of this, Cooper isn't at 100% and has to basically relearn all his skill, intuition, etc. as a lawman. The doppelgänger is banking on Cooper getting assassinated, but Cooper's innate goodwill, his connection to the Black Lodge, and pure luck combined save him.

Cooper is not inhabiting Dougie Jones' body. He's Cooper. Dougie went into the Black Lodge and became a seed. Cooper is Cooper. Dougie is Dougie.

rjinaz

Lol I had no idea Lynch was Gordon Cole, but I didn't really know who he was before I started watching Twin Peaks on Netflix to get ready for this new season.

That's kind of cool.

Cynical me thinks he's not gonna even be nominated come next year because too much time passed and Twin Peaks just isn't particularly accessible, at least this iteration

I hope this isnt the case.

Im not entirely sure how many better performances there has been on TV. It is likely the best work of his career too.

Vectorman

Banned
I hope this isnt the case.

Im not entirely sure how many better performances there has been on TV. It is likely the best work of his career too.
He could get nominated but I'm not sure about a win. Guess we'll find out next year. Dana Ashbrook might deserve a nomination depending on how his arc ends.

BTA

What I meant was that we've been seeing the real Audrey "dreaming" inside the Lodge while the tulpa is out in the world somewhere.

She has said something like "I feel like I'm somewhere else" to Charlie so... maybe?

Some of the stuff she's said matches what Diane said in the scene revealing she was a tulpa. So personally what seems most likely to me is the scenes with her and Charlie being more or less reality (since that's where she says that), then the Roadhouse dance scene (and potentially some amount of the non-James fight scenes there) being something else.

BTA

How is it that multiple people have posted Freddie's punch on YouTube but no one's posted the scene of him telling his backstory?

Linkin112

How is it that multiple people have posted Freddie's punch on YouTube but no one's posted the scene of him telling his backstory?
Because the Fist of the North Star doesn't need a backstory.

(AKA because it was a crazy moment that can easily spawn memes)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Considering the arc of the season and thinking about its original placement, "Shadow" by Chromatics is so incredibly moving. When it hits the part where Starring Kyle MacLachlan comes up it just completely wrecks me wtf is wrong with me.

Shadow, take me down
Shadow, take me down with you

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

You're in the water
I'm standing on the shore
Still thinking that I hear your voice
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

At night I'm driving in your car
Pretending that we'll leave this town
We're watching all the street lights fade
And now you're just a stranger's dream
I took your picture from the frame
And now you're nothing like you seem
Your shadow fell like last night's rain

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
I feel your feels.

DrEvil

Considering the arc of the season and thinking about its original placement, "Shadow" by Chromatics is so incredibly moving. When it hits the part where Starring Kyle MacLachlan comes up it just completely wrecks me wtf is wrong with me.

It's honestly one of my favourite things to come out of this season. That song is absolutely the best emotional touchstone for me in recent memory. Especially having gone through a separation from my wife after 14 years. It hits me hard.

bunbun777

I don't think they ever really showed this side of them. Even when Candie hit him in the head with a remote control he was pretty cool headed about it.

Though they did kick the shit out of Chris Elliott's partner when Mr. jackpots took them to town.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's honestly one of my favourite things to come out of this season. That song is absolutely the best emotional touchstone for me in recent memory. Especially having gone through a separation from my wife after 14 years. It hits me hard.

Have you heard Cherry? The song and its lyrics hit me in the same way. Part of me really wants Chromatics to close out the show with that and avoid the iconic songs of the original series. Because some things can't come back no matter how much we want them to.

Just thought about the girls at the end of Part 9 (the one with the rash) who, like Steven in the woods in part 15, were also talking about animals. They mention penguins and zebras, Steven mentioned a rhinoceros.

DAMN, I HADN'T REMEMBERED THAT. NOW THIS IS REALLY SOMETHING INTERESTING TO THINK ABOUT

EVERYTHING WAS TULPAS, ALBERT

Just thought about the girls at the end of Part 9 (the one with the rash) who, like Steven in the woods in part 15, were also talking about animals. They mention penguins and zebras, Steven mentioned a rhinoceros.

DAMN, I HADN'T REMEMBERED THAT. NOW THIS IS REALLY SOMETHING INTERESTING TO THINK ABOUT

EVERYTHING WAS TULPAS, ALBERT

What about the conversation between Shane Lynch and Emily Stofle that looped?

Just finished my second viewing of Fire Walk With Me and the final scene has once again wrecked me. All of the stars aligned for that one because it couldn't be more perfect. From the performances, the makeup, Dale Cooper providing his hand on Laura's shoulder for comfort, the angel, the composition of the scene, Angelo providing The Voice of Love, it's just incredible.

Top Bottom