• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

traveler

Not Wario
If you're going to go as a Kyle character this halloween, you know who it has to be....

giphy.gif

source.gif

source.gif

I'll be camping this weekend so I'm going to miss the finale when it airs. :(

I guess I will watch when i get home on Monday.

Pretty sad that I'm missing it live though.

they seriously better not

it was bad enough having "lynched" and "blackface" on the last page

Yeah, a Woodsmen costume is highly problematic. I think with a minor tweak, namely not completely filling in the black makeup but rather just making your face look dirty with soot, it would be perfectly fine.

eXistor

yeah, Donna's absence seems especially out of place given the efforts by Frost + Lynch to bring back just about every living main character and sub character from the first run as well as bringing back characters whose actors were either dying or actually dead.

I mean how many times have we heard that Harry Truman is sick during this season?

I genuinely don't care about Donna's character, but I could appreciate a "oh she died in James' motorcycle accident"

soundtest

Banned
Yeah, a Woodsmen costume is highly problematic. I think with a minor tweak, namely not completely filling in the black makeup but rather just making your face look dirty with soot, it would be perfectly fine.

You're one-person-on-social-media-who-lacks-context away from being shamed and things possibly going viral.

I wouldn't do it, it isn't worth the misunderstandings and the possible backlash as well as the part where you have to explain your costume to everyone at the party and hope they don't think you're doing blackface in the year where we saw the rise of the neonazi and white supremacist movement to a deadly extent.

But hey, best wishes if you choose to do it!

You're one person on social media who lacks context away from being shamed and things possibly going viral.

I wouldn't do it, it isn't worth the misunderstandings and the possible backlash as well as the part where you have to explain your costume to everyone at the party and hope they don't think you're doing blackface in the year where we saw the rise of the neonazi and white supremacist movement to a deadly extent.

But hey, best wishes if you chose to do it!

To be clear, I sure as fuck would not.

However, this would likely result in little-to-no misunderstandings:

d32093ded1519b974b0d02604f2c85fd.jpg

Anything darker/more opaque then yeah, you're in for a world of hurt.

soundtest

Banned
Then you still run into the other issue i mentioned, where you have to spend a whole party explaining why you look like a dirty mining vagrant from the 1930s.

I don't think it's worth it but to each their own.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
There's a Halloween costume to go for that's better than Dougie (if you don't look like Kyle) and not going to offend anyone

RR-00026.R-700x380.jpg

Is Naido spelt for certain with an O at the end ?

If it's spelt Naida, that's an anagram for Diana !

Like the other poster said, her name is Diane. But how about if you focus on pronunciation. Diane is prononunced /daɪ.ˈæn/ (those are phonetic alphabet symbols). If you were to reverse those phonemes, it might come close to næɪad, which is not that far off from how naido might be pronounced. But the /aɪ/ phoneme is slightly troublesome (spelled here with letter i in Diane), and what about the o in the end? Well, the character seems to be Japanese, and Japanese words can't end with the letter d, so maybe that's the reason for the o. My guess it's close enough that it can't be a coincidence. And reversing makes more sense than anagrams anyway because there are lodge related shenanigans going on here.

"You're a coal miner?"

"No, actually I'm an evil soot covered man from another dimension that squeezes peoples heads"

"So you're a coal miner"

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Like the other poster said, her name is Diane. But how about if you focus on pronunciation. Diane is prononunced /daɪ.ˈæn/ (those are phonetic alphabet symbols). If you were to reverse those phonemes, it might come close to næɪad, which is not that far off from how naido might be pronounced. But the /aɪ/ phoneme is slightly troublesome (spelled here with letter i in Diane), and what about the o in the end? Well, the character seems to be Japanese, and Japanese words can't end with the letter d, so maybe that's the reason for the o. My guess it's close enough that it can't be a coincidence. And reversing makes more sense than anagrams anyway because there are lodge related shenanigans going on here.

Podcast I listen to just pointed out that Candie is an anagram of "C Diane"...... This also means that Mandie and Sandie also have her name..

Then you still run into the other issue i mentioned, where you have to spend a whole party explaining why you look like a dirty mining vagrant from the 1930s.

I don't think it's worth it but to each their own.

That's an issue for pretty much any costume from a niche series, not one exclusive to Twin Peaks or the Woodsman.

Heck, I was Alexander Hamilton last year, a fucking founding father of the US who is on our currency, and people still got it wrong. Haha.

Podcast I listen to just pointed out that Candie is an anagram of "C Diane"...... This also means that Mandie and Sandie also have her name..

Weeeellll... sure, but anagrams with "this and that letter omitted" are bordering on desperate if you ask me :) So the girls would be C Diane (see Diane), M Diane (am Diane?) and S Diane (ess Diane? ASS Diane?) :D yeah, I'm not buying it.

I wonder if Cooper saying he needs MIKE to make another tulpa has some significance. I am probably wrong and don't really believe this but he could be implying he has asked him to make one in the past.

PolishQ

I wonder if Cooper saying he needs MIKE to make another tulpa has some significance. I am probably wrong and don't really believe this but he could be implying he has asked him to make one in the past.

I think it's only "another one" because Dougie was the first. I don't think MIKE was involved in the creation of the first Dougie and I definitely don't think (good) Cooper was involved either.

It's pretty clear that he wants to make another, more kind-hearted Dougie for Sonny and Janey-E.

yeah, Donna's absence seems especially out of place given the efforts by Frost + Lynch to bring back just about every living main character and sub character from the first run as well as bringing back characters whose actors were either dying or actually dead.

I mean how many times have we heard that Harry Truman is sick during this season?

On Amazon video player they have a trivia section in the overlay and during the Cooper awakening scene it said "Lara Flynn Boyle declined to reprise her role as Donna Hayward". Not sure if it's meant for the return or FWWM though.

big ander

I believe it's strongly suggested he's saying make another as in another in addition to Dougie, who was created by Mr. C, because he wants to leave the Joneses with a Dougie of their own.

I think it's only "another one" because Dougie was the first. I don't think MIKE was involved in the creation of the first Dougie and I definitely don't think (good) Cooper was involved either.

It's pretty clear that he wants to make another, more kind-hearted Dougie for Sonny and Janey-E.

I agree with you both to be honest, it was more of a passing observation rewatching the episode and noting the conviction with which he speaks to MIKE.

On the other hand, it would be somewhat unlike Lynch to spell things out so obviously.

charpunk

I believe it's strongly suggested he's saying make another as in another in addition to Dougie, who was created by Mr. C, because he wants to leave the Joneses with a Dougie of their own.

That’s exactly what’s going to happen. It’s pretty obvious that he doesn’t want to leave them without a husband / father, but also it’s not his place to stay with them with what’s going on. This way he can give them a hopefully better version of Dougie.

Chitown B

or maybe Coop created Dougie by reaching out to someone like Mike did with his hair....

PolishQ

Thought of the day: did Evil Cooper make a tulpa of Major Briggs?

Bobby says that his dad died in a fire, but he never mentions whether a body was actually found. I guess I've been assuming that the body was missing, since obviously we've seen Briggs' corpse in South Dakota and it isn't burned. But the tulpa possibility means that there could have been TWO corpses.

Think about it. If no body was recovered from the fire, would Bobby accept that his dad was dead? Especially when he had gone missing in the past, having been whisked away to strange other realms? Maybe, MAYBE after all these years he gave up hope ... but you'd still think he'd mention that the body was missing. I guess another possibility is that someone else's body was planted at the scene but it was unrecognizable...

In any case, one possibility is that the real Briggs died in the fire and his body was recovered. Then, many years later, Cooper uses a sample of the real Briggs to create a tulpa. Bill Hastings and Ruth Davenport encounter the tulpa in the convenience store "Zone" and tulpa Briggs asks them for coordinates ... coordinates that the real Briggs already knew about!

That's something that's bugged me in the past - why would Briggs need the coordinates when he already had the Jack Rabbit's Palace location written down 25 years ago? But it makes sense if this is tulpa Briggs, created as a tool by Evil Cooper to collect the coordinates that he needs.

Bobby says that his dad died in a fire, but he never mentions whether a body was actually found. I guess I've been assuming that the body was missing, since obviously we've seen Briggs' corpse in South Dakota and it isn't burned. But the tulpa possibility means that there could have been TWO corpses.

Think about it. If no body was recovered from the fire, would Bobby accept that his dad was dead? Especially when he had gone missing in the past, having been whisked away to strange other realms? Maybe, MAYBE after all these years he gave up hope ... but you'd still think he'd mention that the body was missing. I guess another possibility is that someone else's body was planted at the scene but it was unrecognizable...

In any case, one possibility is that the real Briggs died in the fire and his body was recovered. Then, many years later, Cooper uses a sample of the real Briggs to create a tulpa. Bill Hastings and Ruth Davenport encounter the tulpa in the convenience store "Zone" and tulpa Briggs asks them for coordinates ... coordinates that the real Briggs already knew about!

That's something that's bugged me in the past - why would Briggs need the coordinates when he already had the Jack Rabbit's Palace location written down 25 years ago? But it makes sense if this is tulpa Briggs, created as a tool by Evil Cooper to collect the coordinates that he needs.
As far as we know Tulpas don't leave corpses.

Just something to think about.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm pretty sure he did, I think both a doppelganger and a Tulpa were involved. I think his Tulpa was killed in the fire with Mr. C to bury Briggs as dead, since they mention they never found the body. They found body parts that matched his for years (which I might assume would be Briggs' doppelganger of sorts), before finding the full (but headless) body apparently. I think there's three 'Briggs', the 'real' Briggs who was put in the Lodge then beheaded and his body planted with Ruth's head at the crime scene, a Tulpa who was killed in the fire (and why a body was never found), and his doppelganger who's body parts were laid around over the years.

One big piece of evidence I think personally being that Briggs was in the White Lodge/Purple Place. And if you want to further this theory, when Cooper goes to the Purple Place/White Lodge where he meets Naido, he also see's the American Girl and Major Briggs' floating head (as well as Cooper himself). You could take it that these four are the four people with Tulpas that had been made for them. That's my current theory, though to see if any further proof comes along.

PolishQ

As far as we know Tulpas don't leave corpses.

Just something to think about.

True, but maybe that's only when they die in the real world? Tulpa Briggs may have died in the convenience store. "Heads coming off" is also something we now associate with tulpas, and Briggs' floating head says "blue rose" to Cooper, which we now know is a reference to the very first tulpa encountered by the FBI...

I think there's three 'Briggs', the 'real' Briggs who was put in the Lodge then beheaded and his body planted with Ruth's head at the crime scene, a Tulpa who was killed in the fire (and why a body was never found), and his doppelganger who's body parts were laid around over the years.

One thing: they weren't finding body parts over the years. The Pentagon received a bunch of matches against Briggs' fingerprints, but no body (whole or otherwise) was ever found. Not sure what to make of that.

traveler

Not Wario
Wait- where's the evidence for the Hasting's wife being a Tulpa theory? Are you guys just referring to the line about behaving as a human would? That could definitely be pointed towards something else in that context.

Wait- where's the evidence for the Hasting's wife being a Tulpa theory? Are you guys just referring to the line about behaving as a human would? That could definitely be pointed towards something else in that context.

It was that line plus the weird distortion effect that occurred when she was shot. It looked similar to what happened to Diane. I do think the "human nature" line is pretty damning though. What else could it refer to?

Chitown B

Bill Hasting's wife (who was almost definitely a tulpa) left behind a corpse.

no.

It was that line plus the weird distortion effect that occurred when she was shot. It looked similar to what happened to Diane. I do think the "human nature" line is pretty damning though. What else could it refer to?

It was Bad Coop just saying she was predictable. There was no weird distortion, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

A creepy insect creature observing the frailty of human consciousness?

Weird distortion effects have happened on a number of bullet hits. Warden Murphy and Duncan Todd's assistant had them too, I think.

Top Bottom