• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we getting all 18 in one uninterrupted stretch or do they plan to split the release across two periods?

I don't think we know yet, and wouldn't be surprised if they got split up especially if ratings are good. I know the Showtime boss Nevins was thinking of unconventional release methods like screening certain episodes in theaters but don't think any of that was laid in stone.

Also Sherilyn was quoted as saying Lynch wouldn't be opposed to doing more than the 18 even though the story for this chunk is self contained, has a "proper" conclusion and all.

LaneDS

I don't think we know yet, and wouldn't be surprised if they got split up especially if ratings are good. I know the Showtime boss Nevins was thinking of unconventional release methods like screening certain episodes in theaters but don't think any of that was laid in stone.

Also Sherilyn was quoted as saying Lynch wouldn't be opposed to doing more than the 18 even though the story for this chunk is self contained, has a "proper" conclusion and all.

Interesting. I kind of hope they spread it out a bit, but won't complain either way.

Crazy that we're less than three months out and haven't even seen a proper bit of footage yet.

Elchele

So what is going to happen with TMFAP? he got recasted? Would be a huge blow to lose such an iconic character just because the actor went crazy.

LaneDS

So what is going to happen with TMFAP? he got recasted? Would be a huge blow to lose such an iconic character just because the actor went crazy.

I mean, we're probably going to get a new version of Bob (my bet is that it'll be
Leland
) so them recasting Mike wouldn't seem such a stretch. I'm sure Lynch has a long list of weirdos ripe for the part too.

As long as the show is in tone with the first 18 episodes and not fire walk with me. That was too dark, seemed to be filmed in Cali and not some Pacific North West small town. Just didn't like it.

I imagine they won't recast, but that another person from that whole plain will fill that role in the story.

It's tragic what happened to Michael J Anderson. I met him before he lost it and he was a really nice guy. It also killed my dream of them reshooting the scenes where Coop and Laura are meant to be 25 years older, using the actors now that they are older, so we can do away with the bad old age make ups.

But it's nothing compared to losing someone to a mental illness.

As long as the show is in tone with the first 18 episodes and not fire walk with me. That was too dark, seemed to be filmed in Cali and not some Pacific North West small town. Just didn't like it.

This is a weird observation.

The TV series (Pilot aside) was filmed in Cali. FWWM was filmed almost entirely on location in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the places in Deer Meadow are a stones throw from iconic locations they had used in the pilot for the town of Twin Peaks.

The difference in FWWM and the series is two fold. One, there was no Mark Frost (who has co-written the entire third series). Two, you're seeing the final moments of Laura's life before her horrible murder.

They couldn't really cut away to Ed and Nadine being wacky.

Certainly seeing it happen was much darker than hearing about it. I think FWWM was what it needed to be for that story. If there was a mistake in doing it, it was in choosing to tell that story rather than how they told it.

If Mark and David had worked together on a movie that picked up after the series finale, who knows what might have happened. Maybe it would have been a hit.

I love FWWM, but I have no doubt that with Mark and David writing, and the returning cast members we know about, that it will feel much more like the series at it's best, than anything else.

Maligna

Banned
This is a weird observation.

The TV series (Pilot aside) was filmed in Cali. FWWM was filmed almost entirely on location in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the places in Deer Meadow are a stones throw from iconic locations they had used in the pilot for the town of Twin Peaks.

The difference in FWWM and the series is two fold. One, there was no Mark Frost (who has co-written the entire third series). Two, you're seeing the final moments of Laura's life before her horrible murder.

They couldn't really cut away to Ed and Nadine being wacky.

Certainly seeing it happen was much darker than hearing about it. I think FWWM was what it needed to be for that story. If there was a mistake in doing it, it was in choosing to tell that story rather than how they told it.

If Mark and David had worked together on a movie that picked up after the series finale, who knows what might have happened. Maybe it would have been a hit.

I love FWWM, but I have no doubt that with Mark and David writing, and the returning cast members we know about, that it will feel much more like the series at it's best, than anything else.

Big reason the movie seemed so different is because it was filmed in the summer and not the winter, like the pilot was.

And yes, you're right about the series being filmed in California. But thank goodness for all those Washington establishing shots they insert that were filmed at the same time as the pilot.

If anyone is interested, here is a video I made of my trip to the Twin Peaks filming locations. I've got footage from 1989 compared with how it looks now. (2014)

https://youtu.be/j6HHLwdEB2c

Also, posted this in another thread, but maybe people here would be interested too since we're talking about locations.

LaneDS

Big reason the movie seemed so different is because it was filmed in the summer and not the winter, like the pilot was.

And yes, you're right about the series being filmed in California. But thank goodness for all those Washington establishing shots they insert that were filmed at the same time as the pilot.

If anyone is interested, here is a video I made of my trip to the Twin Peaks filming locations. I've got footage from 1989 compared with how it looks now. (2014)

Also, posted this in another thread, but maybe people here would be interested too since we're talking about locations.

Just skipped through, but thanks for sharing! Pretty neat to see some of that stuff in another light.

Flipyap

I'm sure there will be moments like that, but I just can't imagine it being the norm. Especially not when a large portion of the show is supposed to take place outside Twin Peaks, and with all those musical cameos and Peter Deming handling cinematography, it's hard to picture a show that resembles old Twin Peaks more than it does Lynch's latter date film output.

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but been listening to your podcast for the last two weeks at work and it's amazing and funny. Hope you and your crew come back for the new season

They also sent a small crew back to Washington to do shoot some new footage of the exteriors for season 2. No cast went with them though.

Also, we've met. My wife and I are fest regulars. I'm probably hiding in that video somewhere.

Edit: Yep! I sure am.

Should I watch Fire Walk With Me? I love the first season of TP. I love a lot of season 2. I actually think quite a few of the best moments in the series are in season 2 (particularly "it is happening again"), though I have a very hard time making it through the "bad" part of season 2. I've read that the feel of Fire Walk With Me is different from the show. I'm concerned I won't enjoy FWWM because I love the tone of the TV series and may spend the whole time watching FWWM regretting that it doesn't feel more like the show

Should I watch Fire Walk With Me? I love the first season of TP. I love a lot of season 2. I actually think quite a few of the best moments in the series are in season 2 (particularly "it is happening again"), though I have a very hard time making it through the "bad" part of season 2. I've read that the feel of Fire Walk With Me is different from the show. I'm concerned I won't enjoy FWWM because I love the tone of the TV series and may spend the whole time watching FWWM regretting that it doesn't feel more like the show

FWWM is apparently 'required viewing' for season 3, so you should definitely watch it.

It is much darker than the series, because you're seeing all the horrible stuff that happened to Laura and it's much more jarring to watch it than hear about it. It's got a very different sense of humour too... it's more hopeless... but that's all pretty fitting.

That said, Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee both give amazing performances and it's worth watching just for that. If you like it, also watch the missing pieces for a bunch of delete scenes featuring more of the cast from the series.

Go in knowing that you're about to watch a movie about
child abuse.
(series spoiler, not movie spoiler)

But it's definitely worth two and a bit hours of your time.

Maligna

Banned
I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but been listening to your podcast for the last two weeks at work and it's amazing and funny. Hope you and your crew come back for the new season

Yep! I saw that. Thanks for listening! :)

They also sent a small crew back to Washington to do shoot some new footage of the exteriors for season 2. No cast went with them though.

Also, we've met. My wife and I are fest regulars. I'm probably hiding in that video somewhere.

Edit: Yep! I sure am.

I really want to go back to the fest. Went two years in a row, but I have to fly from the east coast of I want to attend. Too expensive unfortunately...

Where are you in the video?

I'm curious if the new series will follow the same 'content requirements' of network TV that the original series did. IE, will there be coarse language, nudity, etc. in the new series?

I kind of hope they restrain the content, personally. I was amazed with how effective the first series could be, despite being 'non-gratuitous'. It would certainly be a challenge for the Lynch and co., but their creativity and artistry definitely helped them pull it off the first time around.

I really want to go back to the fest. Went to years in a row, but I have to fly from the east coast of I want to attend. Too expensive unfortunately...

Where are you in the video?
Sent you a PM.

We fly from the east coast every year. It's worth it for us!

Maligna

Banned
Sent you a PM.

We fly from the east coast every year. It's worth it for us!

If I was more affluent, I'd do it for sure. Twin Peaks Fest is a fun time! Although now it's ridiculously hard to get tickets.

First year we went, it took a few weeks for the 200 tickets to sell out. This year it was 15 minutes.

I'm curious if the new series will follow the same 'content requirements' of network TV that the original series did. IE, will there be coarse language, nudity, etc. in the new series?

I kind of hope they restrain the content, personally. I was amazed with how effective the first series could be, despite being 'non-gratuitous'. It would certainly be a challenge for the Lynch and co., but their creativity and artistry definitely helped them pull it off the first time around.

You can look at his filmography. He's always balanced the "aw shucks" attitude with extreme savagery. I expect the "innocent" characters to maintain that attitude and the dark ones to maintain theirs.

Is it even possible for Leland to be scarier than Bob? (If they were making him Bob)

The scary thing about bob growing up was the fact that he looked like the scary guy that hung out behind the deli in the 80's

Is it even possible for Leland to be scarier than Bob? (If they were making him Bob)

The scary thing about bob growing up was the fact that he looked like the scary guy that hung out behind the deli in the 80's

I think so, the dinner scene alone in FWWM shows he can be menacing af. Last episode spoiler:
Also his doppelganger in episode 29 with that mischievous backwards-forwards giggle gets me every time, esp when he trades smiles with doppel Coop as the good one is being pursued.

Wouldn't be surprised if they just gave Bob a new form/incarnation though (recast). Some speculated Robert Knepper fit his look but iirc he's playing a gangster bro alongside Jim Belushi.

Maligna

Banned

Have you seen the Missing Pieces? Watch the scene where he's coming home and walking up the steps, staring into the bushes that Laura is hiding in.

Elchele

I think it lacked Cooper, that's how vital he is to the show's tone. Anyway, I hope the production is on level with FWWM. Some shots, specially some of the ones released in Missing Pieces, were plain beautiful.

Reeks

SMXr1R9.png

Should be working right now and this is what I do.

Maligna

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR5cdgf7k4GGnAeqsgm7HJOuidGrIigVF

I just thought I'd share this great find with you all. Twin Peaks was crazy popular in Japan. I'm sure many of you have seen the Georgia Coffee commercials. This is something different and neat though. This series of videos appears to be from a Japanese release of something called the "Twin Peaks Visual Soundtrack". What they are is footage of the Snoqualmie Valley shooting locations from the time of the series. They are a really neat time capsule.

The most interesting one in my opinion is this one:

https://www.youtube....h?v=QuzcjZNbOdQ

It explores the train graveyard where they filmed the exteriors of Laura's death location. Now in the series the interiors of the train were built on sets. In this video you can see the actual interior of the old trains. It's pretty cool/gross. I went to the Twin Peaks Fest last year and visited most locations, but this wasn't on the trip. I don't even think it's still there. I'd still love to go to the location and see what I can find, but the train graveyard is really mysterious. It's one of the few sites not mentioned on this excellent site that shows shooting locations then and now: http://www.intwinpea.../locations.html (They even located the exact branch the bird from the credits perches on for Pete's sake!)

From what I can tell I'm guessing these Visual Soundtrack videos were taken in maybe 1992 by a Japanese film crew (In some of the videos you can see the towns folk staring). The double R diner is already sporting the "Twin Peaks Cherry Pie" sign, so I think it's after the series run. However the town of North Bend is still in full Twin Peaks promotional mode as you can see some gift shops in the videos selling all sorts of memorabilia .

Flipyap

I just thought I'd share this great find with you all. Twin Peaks was crazy popular in Japan. I'm sure many of you have seen the Georgia Coffee commercials. This is something different and neat though. This series of videos appears to be from a Japanese release of something called the "Twin Peaks Visual Soundtrack". What they are is footage of the Snoqualmie Valley shooting locations from the time of the series. They are a really neat time capsule.

The most interesting one in my opinion is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuzcjZNbOdQ

It explores the train graveyard where they filmed the exteriors of Laura's death location. Now in the series the interiors of the train were built on sets. In this video you can see the actual interior of the old trains. It's pretty cool/gross. I went to the Twin Peaks Fest last year and visited most locations, but this wasn't on the trip. I don't even think it's still there. I'd still love to go to the location and see what I can find, but the train graveyard is really mysterious. It's one of the few sites not mentioned on this excellent site that shows shooting locations then and now: http://www.intwinpea.../locations.html (They even located the exact branch the bird from the credits perches on for Pete's sake!)

From what I can tell I'm guessing these Visual Soundtrack videos were taken in maybe 1992 by a Japanese film crew (In some of the videos you can see the towns folk staring). The double R diner is already sporting the "Twin Peaks Cherry Pie" sign, so I think it's after the series run. However the town of North Bend is still in full Twin Peaks promotional mode as you can see some gift shops in the videos selling all sorts of memorabilia .
Wow, these are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing this.

Also, the opening CG is the most adorably '90s thing.

eb4kZ5w.png
Mz0ouLb.png

"She's dead, wrapped in what appears to be a low-poly model of a moldy carrot."

fenners

I just thought I'd share this great find with you all. Twin Peaks was crazy popular in Japan. I'm sure many of you have seen the Georgia Coffee commercials. This is something different and neat though. This series of videos appears to be from a Japanese release of something called the "Twin Peaks Visual Soundtrack".

From what I can tell I'm guessing these Visual Soundtrack videos were taken in maybe 1992 by a Japanese film crew (In some of the videos you can see the towns folk staring).

That's basically what it is. Travelogue of the Snoqualmie area, by a Japanese film crew, with the soundtrack dubbed on top. Got a laserdisc release back in the day in Japan & was very sought after by hardcore collectors. Of course it resurfaces now :)

Maligna

Banned
Kojima's doppelgänger

UQtQRNv.png

That's amazing. I didn't notice that.

That's basically what it is. Travelogue of the Snoqualmie area, by a Japanese film crew, with the soundtrack dubbed on top. Got a laserdisc release back in the day in Japan & was very sought after by hardcore collectors. Of course it resurfaces now :)

I just love seeing footage of the actual inside of Laura's train and also of the saw mill when it was still in operation. It's just ruins now.

Ad campaign starting to roll out a bit, the billboards were spotted in Seattle:

Unconfirmed if this is official but curious nonetheless. "Missing". Interesting...

According to a user on the dugpa forums Showtime had a tweet up earlier saying there are supposed to be 8 in total for the billboards, but they took it down. Who knows, maybe some of us might spot some others!
They got one up in Philadelphia and another in Missoula, Montana too.

SamVimes

So is the missing pieces worth watching? I heard a lot of buzz about it before it came out but didn't really follow the reception.

So is the missing pieces worth watching? I heard a lot of buzz about it before it came out but didn't really follow the reception.

It has its moments but its understandable they cut what they did. I enjoyed a fan edit that was floating around the Internet at one point that put the scenes back into the film, having the FWWM atmosphere for over three hours was kind of a trip. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Maligna

Banned

For me it was worth it just to see the 5-10 minutes worth of scenes that take place after the season 2 finale. I got goosebumps.

Remember this was before season 3 was announced, so seeing new Twin Peaks footage that took place after the season 2 cliffhanger was mind blowing. Never thought it would happen.

Blader

I've been going through the show for the first time over the past ~6 weeks and loving it. I've got about five left and think I'm just about out of the mediocre stretch of episodes, if that infographic going around is any indicator.

The funniest moment in the series for me so far is Albert's Lynch impression: "I'm worried about Coop!"

My favorite moment though is probably when Cooper is at the bar, after telling Harry to send one of the other Bookhouse Boys to meet with him before raiding One-Eyed Jacks...and Harry shows up, and Coop realizes he's his man. ;_;

I've been going through the show for the first time over the past ~6 weeks and loving it. I've got about five left and think I'm just about out of the mediocre stretch of episodes, if that infographic going around is any indicator.

The funniest moment in the series for me so far is Albert's Lynch impression: "I'm worried about Coop!"

My favorite moment though is probably when Cooper is at the bar, after telling Harry to send one of the other Bookhouse Boys to meet with him before raiding One-Eyed Jacks...and Harry shows up, and Coop realizes he's his man. ;_;

That was a great great scene even though it was super quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom