• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I've finished the show.

That ending...

How have you people been able to live with THAT cliffhanger for 25 years?!

fenners

I've finished the show.

That ending...

Welcome to our world :) Personally, I think it's near perfect for the show.

Go watch FWWM. It doesn't explain or answer much, but it adds to the story, helps build the background, and suggests a paths of mystery.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gone through the series again and its at the point where its all enjoyable to me. I dig all the characters. And I mostly laugh at James's season 2 arc. I also love me some Super Nadine.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Re watched the series as well. I can see some things don't seem to matter, but it all adds to the charm of the town, even if it does feel it prolongs the series. Still love it.

The movie is better than I remembered, damn it's a fine piece of cinema. Sheryl Lee killed it.

Blader

Post-finale question:

When Bob leaves the Black Lodge at the end, is he in Cooper's body while Cooper's soul is trapped? Or is Bob-Cooper just a doppelgänger? I assumed the former, but reading the wiki it seems like people are referring to the Bob-Cooper as a doppelgänger.

Does that mean Leland thoughout the series was also a doppelgänger? Is that why, when Cooper meets him in the lodge, he says he didn't kill those people (or is that just because Leland wasn't in control when Bob killed his victims?)? Or was that the real Leland all along and was we simply possessing him?

Is FWWM currently on any streaming services?
I just watched it on Hulu today with the Showtime add-on.

Just fyi Kyle is doing a Q&A tomorrow on Twitter (11am EST)

C81YUoxXUAANoxj.jpg

Also it's been shuffled around a bit but parts 1&2 (the May 21 premiere) have been given the description "The stars turn and a time presents itself" on Showtime's episode guide. There's a separate link for just part 1 that reads "My log has a message for you".

http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/0
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/1

As for stars turning...perhaps another alignment is in order ;)

BlueTsunami

Man, that (Season 2 ending spoilers)
Windham Earle shot when hes talking to Leo after he lets Major Briggs go. Looking like a straight up demonic figure. Its still extremely creepy.

Maligna

Banned
I've finished the show.

That ending...

It was amazing in 2014 seeing the Missing Pieces scenes from the bluray set that take place after the season 2 finale. Never thought it would happen. (This was before S3 was announced)

AoM

Post-finale question:

When Bob leaves the Black Lodge at the end, is he in Cooper's body while Cooper's soul is trapped? Or is Bob-Cooper just a doppelgänger? I assumed the former, but reading the wiki it seems like people are referring to the Bob-Cooper as a doppelgänger.

Does that mean Leland thoughout the series was also a doppelgänger? Is that why, when Cooper meets him in the lodge, he says he didn't kill those people (or is that just because Leland wasn't in control when Bob killed his victims?)? Or was that the real Leland all along and was we simply possessing him?

I just watched it on Hulu today with the Showtime add-on.
I take it as Cooper's doppelgänger, whereas Leland was actually Leland (with Bob taking control). I guess his doppelgänger said that because he indeed didn't kill anybody

It was amazing in 2014 seeing the Missing Pieces scenes from the bluray set that take place after the season 2 finale. Never thought it would happen. (This was before S3 was announced)

"Struck me as funny"
is both hilarious and haunting.

Blader

Ooh that reminds me, I still need to watch Missing Pieces too.

Fisty

Alright... I am about to start re-watching Twin Peaks, starting with the Q2 edit of Fire Walk With Me. Should be good, I've never seen the Missing Pieces stuff

BreakAtmo

Just a little reminder to any Aussies here that the new season will be on Stan, which also has all of the series and FWWM.

MrSerrels

Literally finished watching the first two seasons a couple of days ago.

So hyped for this.

Imagine my tiny little mind shattering when Laura Palmer was like "See you in 25 years"

Jesus...

overcast

Rewatching the series for the first time since I finished it about.. 3-4 years ago? Better than ever.

Girlfriend seems to be liking it too. Can't wait for May 21, my bday is May 20th so it's a terrific gift.

Flipyap

I wonder when we'll get a trailer?

come on David!
If we're lucky-ish, we'll get one around May 22, featuring footage from the May 21 premiere.

“You’ll see film pieces come out, but they may not be a traditional trailer,” [Showtime president David Nevins] explained, “And they definitely won’t be trailers that give away plot points."

BlueTsunami

I love how theyre totally keeping it under wraps. I hope they dont even show a preview of the next episode after the ines aired. Walk into all 18 hours in the dark.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want any trailers, specially this close. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Don't hate me, GAF.

Anyway I watched the last episode again with commentary from a podcast Maligna suggested to me a while back, and damn it totally went over my head that the Giant was the old gentleman that brought Cooper warm milk. I thought that "One and the Same" referred to the Giant being an extension of The Man from Another Place. I feel so dumb haha.

fenners

I don't want any trailers, specially this close. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Don't hate me, GAF.

Anyway I watched the last episode again with commentary from a podcast Maligna suggested to me a while back, and damn it totally went over my head that the Giant was the old gentleman that brought Cooper warm milk. I thought that "One and the Same" referred to the Giant being an extension of The Man from Another Place. I feel so dumb haha.

Senor Droolcup!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ive been seeing the new photos of James and wondering if they might do something interesting with him...but then I see he's only in a single episode. He looks so intense now, kind of a shame that he doesn't really factor in. I mean look at him!

-Twin-Peaks-Season-3-Character-Portrait-James-Hurley-twin-peaks-40313713-400-500.jpg

-shadow-

I actually wonder if the series will answer what happened to
Josie Packard
. I still find it outright bizarre what happened and I'm truly curious.

I've finished the show.

That ending...

I finished the series last year and I find it hard. I would've gone mad if I had to wait 25 years!

BlueTsunami

I actually wonder if the series will answer what happened to
Josie Packard
. I still find it outright bizarre what happened and I'm truly ccurious

I think its pretty open and shut
when Coop tells Harry about Bob being the reason Josie died, and we see the scene play out. Also Coop remarks about Josie being 90lbs to Hawk to which Hawk is obviously shaken. Her soul was obviously taken and forced to be in that state for however long

PolishQ

Ive been seeing the new photos of James and wondering if they might do something interesting with him...but then I see he's only in a single episode. He looks so intense now, kind of a shame that he doesn't really factor in. I mean look at him!

Are you getting the single episode thing from IMDB? None of that info is official.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are you getting the single episode thing from IMDB? None of that info is official.
I did...so even the 18 episode destination for the main cast is guesswork?

PolishQ

I did...so even the 18 episode destination for the main cast is guesswork?

18 "parts" is confirmed but we don't have any info on how often any cast members appear. James Marshall did say in EW that his part is "large, not in size but in significance", though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think its pretty open and shut
when Coop tells Harry about Bob being the reason Josie died, and we see the scene play out. Also Coop remarks about Josie being 90lbs to Hawk to which Hawk is obviously shaken. Her soul was obviously taken and forced to be in that state for however long

Still, there's something to be done considering the knob scene that, if I'm not mistaken, Lynch himself was involved in.

jfohCWovSJ3k4.gif

Also, Firewalk With Me has David Bowie's character talking about Josie's sister, Judy. So, I dunno. Maybe Lynch will ignore all of that.

VanWinkle

I'm watching the show for the first time, and it's absolutely INSANE. I didn't really know anything about it at all. I just watched episode 3 and the ending five minutes or so FREAKED ME OUT.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching the show for the first time, and it's absolutely INSANE. I didn't really know anything about it at all. I just watched episode 3 and the ending five minutes or so FREAKED ME OUT.

Yup! And that was on network TV in 1990!

I don't remember noticing that weird thing flying behind the curtain. Any idea what that was?

Or a bird, in general. I always thought it looked like a mouse pointer, though.

For some reason I initially thought it looked like a floating vacuum cleaner :lol

In other news:

W Hollywood

Bunches more at the link, many TP-themed but a good amount covering his other films. Fair warning, there's one with season 2 finale spoilers in the header (done in comic book style). Great piece and wanted to share it here but know spoiler tagging images doesn't work for mobile users.

Have you met people upset with the final episode of twin peaks? 🤔

Upset how? And which part of the finale lol

If you mean generally in terms of the cliffhanger sure, can't imagine what the wait must be like for diehard TP fans that saw it during the original run. As for Audrey,
well we know she survives the bank explosion at this point.

That was my favorite part of it. Never seen anything like it before (even with having seen other Lynch films). Glad Lynch came in at the end and redid what was already shot. My hope for the new season is he continues to be sparing with depictions of
the lodge
as the mystique behind it is what makes it so appealing. Though we know they plan on exploring its general mechanics further. I think a good balance between the real world drama and supernatural shenanigans is key to not going into say Inland Empire territory of constant fuckery. Knowing Frost had such an integral role in the script writing process eases some of those concerns. He's the Scully to Lynch's Mulder :p

Joqu

Have you met people upset with the final episode of twin peaks? ��

I've been rewatching Twin Peaks with my mom after finding out she's a fan. I never knew that, it's pretty cool!

Anyway, we haven't gotten to it yet but she has mentioned how she dislikes the finale, yeah. She only vaguely remembers it at this point so I haven't discussed it too deeply, I don't want to spoil things, but she did mention she thought it was TOO dark (which I don't get, she hasn't had that issue with anything else and we just watched Lonely Souls ffs!) and that she expected some level of closure.

She has also said that she straight up hates the movie for similar reasons, she expected it to be a continuation of the final episode.

It's funny though, she hasn't shown all that much interest in season 3 even if it could be that closure she wanted. She feels it's 1) too late at this point with how old the actors have gotten and 2) that it won't be as good because Lynch hasn't made anything for too long.

But I'm hoping rewatching that final episode will change her mind, how can you not want more after that now, knowing it's actually happening?

Did anyone else feel satisfied by the ending? I'm not too hyped for the new season, because I thought the original ending was pitch perfect in its bleak tragedy.

I've never understood the concerns of due to him being on a hiatus from traditional narrative film projects that he's suddenly going to lose his edge and eye for directing. He's been fairly active with other projects such as concert films and commercials over the years. I have more faith in the script too due to the gestation process he and Frost utilized. IIRC they worked on drafts for months at a time over the course of a few years and then came back to the material at certain intervals to try and look at it from a fresh perspective and do rewrites accordingly. Also reading numerous stories of him filming in Washington and being giddy on set, and improvising certain details and shots as he's wont to do, I feel like we're in for something special. It's also been reported he's been doing additional filming on his own dime, possibly reshoots, this project has really put a bug in him.

They had already shot scenes?

They filmed the entirety of the
red room/lodge scenes in the finale
. When he saw what they'd done he thought it was totally wrong and stepped in to reshoot/rescript. Imagine how better the rest of season 2 could've been if he and Frost hadn't gone so hands-off after the mystery was solved.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Blue Velvet ones are incredible.

Or a bird, in general. I always thought it looked like a mouse pointer, though.

No kidding haha.

Also reading numerous stories of him filming in Washington and being giddy on set, and improvising certain details and shots as he's wont to do, I feel like we're in for something special. It's also been reported he's been doing additional filming on his own dime, possibly reshoots, this project has really put a bug in him.

Heck, I'm giddying right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom