• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActWan

Close to finishing my rewatch - only episodes 21 and 22 left (and the movie).
Damn, I loved watching episode 20 again so damn much. Definitely one of my favorite episodes in the show - I like all the events that transpire, the dialogue, and especially the directing - it's amazing! Love the arm shaking scenes (which I still theorize are a way of BOB to "check" the host he wants).
Can't fucking wait for Sunday.

Pretty good article on how Twin Peaks' usenet groups helped lay the groundwork for modern social media discussion of TV:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/tw...al-media-mark-frost-henry-jenkins-1201818886/

As an early example of people engaging with each other online, alt.tv.twin-peaks helped establish behaviors and patterns that eventually evolved into today's social media-obsessed culture. It also meant that Jenkins had a head start on understanding the internet and how it would eventually change our world, which he's chronicled ever since in his work, including the fascinating text ”Convergence Culture."

”It meant that I was ahead of the curve in watching that development of online fandom leading up to that moment of ‘Lost,' where I think the news world and everyone else discovered just how intense the online engagement with television was. ‘Twin Peaks' is, in so many ways, a trend setting show," Jenkins said.

”Lost," of course, was a game-changer in terms of the relationship between television, the fans who watched it, and the digital means that they used to talk about it. As Jenkins explained, ”The idea of creating reference sites online to pull together all the information, people passing back and forth alternative conspiracy theories about what would happen, the show intentionally embedding little secrets and mysteries, Easter eggs which are there for the fans to pick up on and discuss, the perception that maybe the producers were following the fan discussions and altering the story to reflect it — all of the things that people wrote about ‘Lost' were already there with ‘Twin Peaks.'"

Thanks to Twitter now, we know that many showrunners follow the conversation online — but during the original ”Twin Peaks" run, many on Usenet were uncertain if the show's creators were aware of their existence.

”There were rumors that Mark Frost read the discussions," Jenkins said. ”There was some sock puppet who pretended to be David Lynch at one point and was easily disproven not to be, but the widespread understanding was that Mark Frost was reading the discussions."

IndieWire asked if Frost would respond — and it turns out the answer isn't cut-and-dried (all too appropriate, given the nature of the show).

”Halfway through production," Frost wrote via email, ”I received a stack of printouts on my desk as thick as an LA phone book. Chat room dialogues from some online forums that had sprung up. Needless to say, astonishing. I was an early adapter, but still here was concrete evidence a new world was forming right under our feet.

”I read about nine pages and realized ‘this way lies madness, it's way too much to think about.' I set them aside and went back to making the show," he added.

Jenkins' response to that? ”Interesting. Fans imagined Frost reading the posts daily. Today, many productions assign interns to do just this, to identify the audience's preferences and dislikes, to map their response to creative decisions, and create a greater responsiveness," he said. ”No one [at the time] expected ‘Twin Peaks' to do this. If anything, they hoped Lynch and Frost were doing the exact opposite — figure out where the crowd was heading and then throw them a curve ball. The authors were seen as tricksters who wanted to constantly defy expectations, and masterminds who had thought everything out to the Nth degree."

Flipyap

IndieWire - David Lynch Q&A: The Legend on ‘Twin Peaks’ Fan Theories, ‘Breaking Bad,’ and Cats
Speaking of animals, something that I really enjoy is the use of animals in your work. Do you feel like they have a significance in how you tell stories?

Lynch: You go by the ideas, and if the idea comes with an animal, by golly you’re going to use an animal.

Do you identify with a certain animal the most?

Lynch: I like deer. I like pigs. I like little pigs, and I like some dogs.

[Cat meows in background.]

Lynch: You have a cat there?

Yes, she’s speaking to you.

Lynch: Okay, you know I’m sure your cat’s real great, too.

Good interview. Good cat.

Okay. When it comes to these new actors, did you already know who you wanted them to play, or did you say, “Hey, I like this actor. I’m going to try to create a character for them”?

Lynch: No, no, no, no. The thing was written, and then you want get the right person for the part. That’s what casting is all about.
Hmm. This seems like a lie, unless the handwritten page caught on tape by the Art Life documentary crew was Lynch's personal Twin Peaks fanfiction involving a real world actor.

PolishQ

I also have a hard time believing he didn't write Coop specifically for Kyle. What did the page in the doc have on it?

The script refers to (actress on the cast list)
Monica Bellucci
by name, rather than whatever her character's name is.

If you want to see the page, it's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/...n_3_spoilers_twin_peaks_season_3_script_leak/

Coop is outside the scope of the question. They asked about casting the new characters for the new series. But I agree, I'm sure there were at least some actors that he had in mind while writing the script.

The script refers to (actress on the cast list)
Monica Bellucci
by name, rather than whatever her character's name is.

If you want to see the page, it's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/...n_3_spoilers_twin_peaks_season_3_script_leak/

Coop is outside the scope of the question. They asked about casting the new characters for the new series. But I agree, I'm sure there were at least some actors that he had in mind while writing the script.

I mean we know he goes after certain people so definitely not limited to Cooper. His quote makes it seem like a general approach he takes towards casting not just limited to the new series. I'd be surprised if he/Frost didn't write Dern or Watts' characters with them in mind.

Flipyap

Even if that page isn't an actual script draft, I love this part:

UlVmmhc.png

Because apparently Lynch writes his stuff exactly how it feels to watch it. ;)

Charamiwa

Banned
Finally rewatched FWWM! What a great fucking movie. A poster a while back nailed it: 25 years later, far from all the noise and expectations people had back then, it's easy to sit back and enjoy the ride. It helps to know the series is back soon too.

It made me wish the show had that kind of budget and writing sometimes, everything is on another level. Of course it might be what we're in for with the new season. We can only hope. If they manage to reach the level of emotional intensity of say the Pink Room scene or the One armed man moment it's going to be great.

But the best thing hands down about the film is
it reminds me of Mulholland Drive in a way, where once you remove all the fluff and confusion (which is great in its own right), at the heart of the film you have a wonderful story of love, jealousy, dreams... Same thing here: if you remove all the Twin Peaks mythology and baggage for just a minute, you get an heart wrenching story about a girl from a quiet town who is abused since she was 12 by her father, and coping and coming to term with it made her spiral out of control and burn bridges from the one she loves. It's an immensely sad story and Laura is an incredible character. The way all these known faces gravitates towards her and fail to understand her is so well done. What a performance from Sheryl Lee too. And that's why Lynch is such a master. Again, we can only hope the new season reaches this kind of heights.

AoM

It made me wish the show had that kind of budget and writing sometimes, everything is on another level. Of course it might be what we're in for with the new season. We can only hope. If they manage to reach the level of emotional intensity of say the Pink Room scene or the One armed man moment it's going to be great.

Mike
driving quickly around to confront Leland, yelling about creamed corn and BOB
, makes me laugh my ass off every time.

overcast

I'm not gonna lie I thought Windom Earle was a better character when I was looking back on my first watch. He's pretty fucking bad going through it again.

Okay, just watched season 2 ep 10 last night. We definitely won't have time to watch everything before the premiere. Is the concensus skip 12 - 16 then go from there?

Fisty

Uh, well, you probably can't access Showtime through Vue if you ordered it as a Hulu add-on. You would need to purchase Showtime through Vue.

My point is that Vue has all of the on demand content that Showtime Anytime does, so Anytime isn't the only option for watching 3 & 4. At least that's my understanding.

Like, I have an HBO subscription through PS Vue, and I can watch The Leftovers on demand as soon as the new episode premieres 9pm on Sunday.

Ah you know i was curious about this, I have a sub thru Vue (3 month trial) and there isn't any Showtime app on PS4... so is there an On Demand section on Vue or how does that work? Don't want to have to wait a week for 3&4

Charamiwa

Banned
Mike
driving quickly around to confront Leland, yelling about creamed corn and BOB
, makes me laugh my ass off every time.

To me it was extremely uncomfortable! The sound design is hellish, and then seeing both Leland and Laura completely freak out in front of that garage was something else.

Also, I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but I wish Moira Kelly had played Donna from the start. I loved how she acts around Laura in this, and she's able to convey so much emotion with little to no dialogue. The way she looks at Laura when the two men comes up to her at the bar, that's great stuff. Way better than Lara Flynn Boyle in my mind.

hydruxo

To me it was extremely uncomfortable! The sound design is hellish, and then seeing both Leland and Laura completely freak out in front of that garage was something else.

Also, I don't know if this is a popular opinion or not, but I wish Moira Kelly had played Donna from the start. I loved how she acts around Laura in this, and she's able to convey so much emotion with little to no dialogue. The way she looks at Laura when the two men comes up to her at the bar, that's great stuff. Way better than Lara Flynn Boyle in my mind.

Definitely agree, and I feel like most people prob would too. Lara Flynn Boyle was pretty awful as Donna in general. I mean she had her moments though.

She's the superior Donna. Fact.

Definitely agree, and I feel like most people prob would too. Lara Flynn Boyle was pretty awful as Donna in general. I mean she had her moments though.

I think it 's hard to say. Lynch gets so much more out of his actors than the other directors. I thought Boyle was quite good in the Lynch directed parts of the show. Given the additional latitude afforded by a film schedule vs TV shoot and Boyle may have really stepped up.

hughesta

Banned
why is James singing a song with these girls someone help i thought this season was supposed to be good until like episode 10

edit: alright I'm picking up what you're throwing down

Flipyap

I think it 's hard to say. Lynch gets so much more out of his actors than the other directors. I thought Boyle was quite good in the Lynch directed parts of the show. Given the additional latitude afforded by a film schedule vs TV shoot and Boyle may have really stepped up.
You're absolutely right, but there's just no way she could have matched the innocence and empathy of Moira Kelly's Donna. The two Donnas feel like completely different people.

why is James singing a song with these girls someone help i thought this season was supposed to be good until like episode 10
Because James is the best.

omgkitty

This has probably been asked, but I'm about to finish rewatching the show, and I have never seen FWWM. I've got the blu-ray but I have the fan edit with the missing pieces added into the film as well. Should I watch the edited version alone, or watch the original first and then the fan edit?

Fisty

This has probably been asked, but I'm about to finish rewatching the show, and I have never seen FWWM. I've got the blu-ray but I have the fan edit with the missing pieces added into the film as well. Should I watch the edited version alone, or watch the original first and then the fan edit?

Just do the fanedit, it's got more of the rest of the cast and is pretty much seamless with its edits and cuts. Having seen both, fanedit all the way

Big Nikus

Not reading the thread because I've not finished watching season 2, but I'm currently reading The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, and I'm surprised at how fast I'm reading it. I thought it would be too long and kinda boring, but it's actually pretty good.
Jennifer Lynch wrote that when she was just 18 y.o ? Wow. She was about the same age as Laura so that makes it a really interesting and kinda fucked up (in a good way) piece of art imo.

edit:
Just do the fanedit, it's got more of the rest of the cast and is pretty much seamless with its edits and cuts. Having seen both, fanedit all the way
Watch the original cut and then the missing pieces as standalone.

thisisneogaf.gif

Flipyap

Watch the original cut, then The Missing Pieces. This isn't a bad movie that needed to be fixed by an obsessive fan.

Airola

Not reading the thread because I've not finished watching season 2, but I'm currently reading The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, and I'm surprised at how fast I'm reading it. I thought it would be too long and kinda boring, but it's actually pretty good.
Jennifer Lynch wrote that when she was just 18 y.o ? Wow. She was about the same age as Laura so that makes it a really interesting and kinda fucked up (in a good way) piece of art imo.

I read that book when I was about 9 years old :O
We had an assignment at school that we had to get some book and write a bit about it. I picked up that and wrote about it. Teacher didn't like my choice at all.
I remember we had to draw a scene from the book. I chose to draw the "Waltzing Matilda" dream which freaked me out when reading it.

I remember reading it fully that same day (I learned to read when I was 4 so it wasn't hard for me). But damn that book both scared and titillated me in so many ways.

I loaned that book from the library probably over 20 times during the years. Loved the Dale Cooper Autobiography too! Great stuff! Easy to read.

If you have never seen Fire Walk With Me, watch the one David Lynch intended for us to see. The fanedit is a curiosity for those that have seen the whole thing as intended.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm watching River's Edge and I have to ask here, did Lynch ever admit that he was influenced by this movie in any respect? It feels like a lost episode of Twin Peaks. And Hopper plays a lunatic, I mean COME ON.

fenners

I'm not gonna lie I thought Windom Earle was a better character when I was looking back on my first watch. He's pretty fucking bad going through it again.

I think that's a pretty typical opinion. I don't recall at the time disliking him - there was an air of mystery & malevolence about him. Then it peters out completely. And the horse.

I'm watching River's Edge and I have to ask here, did Lynch ever admit that he was influenced by this movie in any respect? It feels like a lost episode of Twin Peaks. And Hopper plays a lunatic, I mean COME ON.

Wouldn't surprise me. River's Edge was directed by Tim Hunter who ended up being a frequent director on Twin Peaks.

Personally, I'm wondering if Lynch was a big fan of Robocop after casting Miguel Ferrer, Ray Wise, and Dan O'Herily in TP.

superfly

Are we all expecting the main theme and perhaps a title sequence with updated locations or something altogether different a la FWWM?

Are we all expecting the main theme and perhaps a title sequence with updated locations or something altogether different a la FWWM?

I'm expecting nothing.

I have zero idea what's going to come on my TV screen at 9pm on Sunday... and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Zekes!

I really want to watch this Sunday night but I'm gonna have to burn a free month trial of CraveTV to watch all of it, and seeing as it ends on June 25th, I'll probably wait until next week to start the trial so I can immediately cancel it when I'm done.

I really want to watch this Sunday night but I'm gonna have to burn a free month trial of CraveTV to watch all of it, and seeing as it ends on June 25th, I'll probably wait until next week to start the trial so I can immediately cancel it when I'm done.

? It doesn't end until the first week of September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom