• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

Keep wondering what the significance of the mushroom cloud is if anything.

Random observations re: mushroom cloud. The Sheriff's name is Truman, AKA the guy who dropped the bomb on Japan. He has a picture of the president on his office wall. Also Mr. Tojamura mentions his family was at Nagasaki. ("I know something about fire"). Probably nothing to do with this but it stuck out to me.

hydruxo

Hey guys....new Twin Peaks in 2 days :eek:

tumblr_nijz1nS9XZ1r8swmoo1_500.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching River's Edge and I have to ask here, did Lynch ever admit that he was influenced by this movie in any respect? It feels like a lost episode of Twin Peaks. And Hopper plays a lunatic, I mean COME ON.
Hopper's role wouldn't be related to BV one way or the other since they were released the same year.

Flipyap

Random observations re: mushroom cloud. The Sheriff's name is Truman, AKA the guy who dropped the bomb on Japan. He has a picture of the president on his office wall. Also Mr. Tojamura mentions his family was at Nagasaki. ("I know something about fire"). Probably nothing to do with this but it stuck out to me.
Beyond Twin Peaks, Henry from Eraserhead has a similar photo framed on his wall.

jqtuAfr.gif

Pachimari

Yeah, so, I can't finish all of Season 2 and FWWM before the Season 3 premiere. But that's okay, I'll just be ready for next week. How many episodes is the new season? 18?

AoM

Apparently Lynch only rewatched the pilot and FWWM before writing the script for S3. At least Frost rewatched the whole series lol.

I'm watching River's Edge and I have to ask here, did Lynch ever admit that he was influenced by this movie in any respect? It feels like a lost episode of Twin Peaks. And Hopper plays a lunatic, I mean COME ON.

man crispin glover was annoying as shit in that movie

pretty good movie tho

Chuckie

I am done with my re-watch of Twin Peaks. Damn that finale was fucked up. Screaming Laura is scarier than BOB.

Now all I have to do is re-watch FWWM. Haven't seen that since it came out. I can't remember anything about it except that Bowie was in it.

Recapping the series and FWWM made me realize how much fun the goofy humor (especially Gordon Cole, Andy/Lucy and Bobby) was in this show.

I really hope this new season keeps that. As much as I love creepy abstract lynch, twin peaks was more than just that. Also man it dawned on me, but
nice guy cooper might not even be a thing in this cuz of Bob, which is a damn shame because he always livens the show up

overcast

Just finished the show for my 2nd time. Ending is still classic.

Lynch managed to nail the Nadine scene in the last episode even, crushing stuff.

UK update.

Sky Atlantic are simulcasting episodes 1 and 2 (so they'll be on at 2am) and they'll be putting up episodes 3 and 4 on demand at 4.01am the same day.

Four hours of Twin Peaks goodness on Monday!

Just realized the musical portion that we're in for soon too

Potential new music from badalamenti...omg

Maybe some of those really good lounge performance scenes from the likes of reznor and his wife, Eddie Vedder or chromatics

Man as we get closer I'm getting even more hyped for these episodes. I fear my expectations are getting absurdly high at this point

Charamiwa

Banned
Wtf I watched The Missing Pieces and I had no idea
there would be a continuation of the show's ending. It's crazy, for years the "how's Annie" scene was the end of it and since 2014 there's something new and I didn't even know! I guess it's not that important in the context of the show, but outside of it it seems like a big deal. The nurse scene too. I wonder if they released all of this already knowing they would do the new season?

Anyway, some good stuff in here, that was a nice watch.

Best scene: Laura with the Haywards and their muffins.
Worst scene: Dale talking to Diane.

And thus my rewatch has ended, I'm now fully ready for Sunday!

butalala

Do the missing pieces or any of the written materials mention what happened to Audrey in the bank explosion? That was one of the biggest cliffhangers for me after my first watch last year.

Joqu

Red Letter Media just put out one of their re:view videos, and this one's about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I haven't watched it yet but that's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1bbjXCfyY

edit: Hehe, ok watching some and they like Windom Earle too.

And they definitely spoil the whole series if you're still watching.

Do the missing pieces or any of the written materials mention what happened to Audrey in the bank explosion? That was one of the biggest cliffhangers for me after my first watch last year.

Missing pieces doesn't, but the book, Secret History of Twin Peaks, does yeah.

Audrey survived but is taken to the hospital in critical condition, and it appears Pete saved her life by shielding her. None of the others survived the explosion.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks does:

Audrey is protected by Pete, who dies (along with Andrew Packard).

asagami_

Banned

According people who read the new book,
she survived, but because was protected by Pete and the banker :(

Edit: ^^ Well that.

SArcher

Banned
Watched Fire Walk With Me (3.5 hour fan edit with the missing pieces inserted according to the original shooting script) for the first time last night. Interesting stuff. The long fan edit really didn't work as a movie but I enjoyed it nevertheless. The only part that made absolutely no sense to me was David Bowie's character.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Fire Walk With Me (3.5 hour fan edit with the missing pieces inserted according to the original shooting script) for the first time last night. Interesting stuff. The long fan edit really didn't work as a movie but I enjoyed it nevertheless. The only part that made absolutely no sense to me was David Bowie's character.

HELL BABY DAMN NO.

-shadow-

For any other Dutch fellows, the series will be made available here through VideoLand. So that sucks...

Where did you watch this? I want to watch the rest of the series with a friend and the film. But I need to deleted scenes inserted because they're being difficult and don't care much for deleted scenes at all, even if it really should be there.

Joqu

For any other Dutch fellows, the series will be made available here through VideoLand. So that sucks...

I don't know anything about VideoLand but that doesn't sound too bad to me? I'd have to pay € 24,95 a month to access the damn thing, I'm still not sure if I want to do that. >.>

Trying to figure out if I can do this with a proxy or something, I'd gladly give Showtime my money directly. Probably not. Gah.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
When do the first two episodes air at Cannes? I'm still on the fence on whether I want to hear early impressions or not.

Still insane that we're getting new David Lynch directed Twin Peaks in two days.

I think next week, I'm not sure, but it's after the general public has seen them.

Finished my rewatch of the series last night. The middle of season 2 was definitely the worst its been for me this time around. Not only does the plot start spinning its wheels, but the show almost loses its core components completely. Weird Lynch details turn into go-nowhere cheese, the undercurrent of wickedness and spirituality are almost totally gone, and the soap elements become isolated vignettes with no darkness to bounce off of. The main law cast remains entertaining to watch because they have such amazing command over their characters, but the rest of the show damn near falls apart.

It's such a relief when you get to episode 17 and you can feel it starting to build towards something again. It's still not all the way right though, with the wacky mid-season stuff taking an odd turn into outright schmaltz, but the comedy starts landing again (GORDON COLE IN THE FINAL STRETCH, OMG), and the weirdness becomes intriguing. Then, of course, you get to the finale and you can feel a master at work, as Lynch grabs control of the reins again, and immediately the stilted melodrama, comedic rhythms, unease, atmosphere, direction, and editing are ratcheted back up to peak Twin Peaks. And that's before the real insanity starts. I still can't believe the finale made it to air in this form.

Sheryl Lee
has one of the most amazing screaming faces in cinematic history. Her outbursts in
The Black Lodge
are just incredible. Total commitment (even more so in the movie)

Anyway, I'm going to jump into this huge FWWM fan edit over the weekend having never seen The Missing Pieces, and I'm sure it'll be a great mess. Can't believe this story is going to continue in just a few days.

Ashby

I'm flaggin here fellas. Finished S2E9 last night. Really tempted to read synopsis of the remaining episodes, watch the finale and then FWWM. That's what I see people doing on Twitter and I don't want to dedicate such a large chunk of my three day weekend to 12 hours of what I've always heard is notoriously bad tv. What ya'll think?

Window

Just realized the musical portion that we're in for soon too

Potential new music from badalamenti...omg

Maybe some of those really good lounge performance scenes from the likes of reznor and his wife, Eddie Vedder or chromatics

Man as we get closer I'm getting even more hyped for these episodes. I fear my expectations are getting absurdly high at this point

Yep, totally hyped for the music. Such an integral part of the show.

I'm flaggin here fellas. Finished S2E9 last night. Really tempted to read synopsis of the remaining episodes, watch the finale and then FWWM. That's what I see people doing on Twitter and I don't want to dedicate such a large chunk of my three day weekend to 12 hours of what I've always heard is notoriously bad tv. What ya'll think?

10-16 aren't good (though there are still great scenes in that stretch), but there are elements + characters introduced that matter and sort of pay off in 17-22. Plus Cooper (among others) gets fleshed out more in the back half, which makes him an even more lovable character, and no one should skip that the first time.

Just power through it. If you've enjoyed everything else, there's no use in jumping off now.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The Internet Archive has a free copy of the Dale Cooper tapes, btw, if you want something to listen to.

You should watch it. There is a lot of great stuff in there. If you ain't finish it by Sunday. No big deal. You'll catch up. The new episodes will still be there.

I just don't get the idea of skipping episodes. It's the whole thing. Good and bad. If you aren't going to invest in it fully, there's no point. I watched Twin Peaks to watch Twin Peaks. I knew the time investment and that there were shitty plot lines and characters, but that is the experience of Twin Peaks. I wanted to experience that.

But do whatever. You don't need permission to skip anything you don't like. No one's going to come after you for skipping episodes.

superfly

Honestly don't think I've ever been as hyped for anything. It's weird as as much as I think the original is great it's far from perfect and there's other shows I think are better.

I believe it's a culmination of the nostalgia, the atmosphere and core values of the show, plus my genuine excitement at 18 hours of David Lynch. He's such an evocative filmmaker and I don't think we've had a true Hollywood great tackle an entire TV show in the directors chair.

Even if it doesn't quite work, it's sure to be a spectacle. I really can't wait to see what him and frost have cooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom