• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

Brofield

Dual screen monitor at work. Abusing this power for this new run.

Can't believe though we didn't give Abby jr. a new nickname. Hopefully something comes of it when we hit Lavender City (that's where we can change nicknames, right?)

Wait, they got rid of democracy anarchy?

In

1271010043_jump-in-the-car.gif

Man this was a riot to watch on the first play through. Watching the elite 4 and champ actually being beaten after about 40 tries was something else.

I can't bare to watch this with the new follower message popping up every two seconds. I'm completely fine with donations but I really wish the streamer would get rid of the follower box popping up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing will top the chaos of the first round.

When we were led astray by the false prophet that led to the death of ABBY.

I was there when we made it past the ledge. I was there when Diglett dug before we got the key. I was there when we failed to get the water stone. I was there when our hero's were lost.

I loved the first run and all, but my favourite was actually in Crystal when we beat the old team at Mt. Silver. Lasergator sweeping his way through Lord Helix and outclutching Bird Jesus by the tiniest sliver of health to take the win was incredible.

Windam

Scaley member
Will this be like before Anarchy/Democracy was introduced? The days spent in the Rocket Celadon hideout were the greatest.

I want the return of Bird Jesus.

Oh, and #TeamFlareon

EDIT: ANARCHY YEEEEES

Oh god oh god oh god. It begins.

I loved the first run and all, but my favourite was actually in Crystal when we beat the old team at Mt. Silver. Lasergator sweeping his way through Lord Helix and outclutching Bird Jesus by the tiniest sliver of health to take the win was incredible.
Agreed. AJ vs Red was the best moment in TPP history.

Andrefpvs

So much black screen on the left side. Cant they keep messages over there?

The streamer says the left side is supposed to show the current party, but it's currently bugged.

Still, having the messages cover up the party instead of the game screen would make a lot more sense than what is currently happening.

PK Gaming

Nothing will beat the original red moment of catching Zapdos in anarchy mode with the master ball.

Definitely

Not only was Zapdos our MVP, but the idea that we didn't waste our Masterball on a fucking Poliwag OR release Zapdos at any point is amazing.

Zomba13

The original TPP was fantastic. I saw a bunch of G/S but next to nothing after that. The lore that sprung up around the first playthrough was so much fun.

ChrisD

Twitch Plays Pokemon was one of the funnest things I followed last year. I remember reading about it when it began, and I even watched for a few minutes when they arrived at Cerulean. But it wasn't until Abby and Jay Leno that I really started following it. Can't believe it's already been a year.

Almost wish they didn't do all the other games. Really took the fun away with how rapid-fire it all was. And now the donations? Think I'll leave my TPP experience positive and just keep tabs on this one rather than watch. Would love for a new "story" to unfold, but don't expect it.

So it just looks like another repeat last year of pricks spamming the menu and moving up and down constantly over and over. Interesting idea, but the execution is a hot mess.

Timeaisis

I hope they do this every year. One of my favorite experiences on GAF, and well, the internet in general. Praise the helix.

Andrefpvs

We have 0 Pokédollars, that means no balls. The only way to get balls before Viridian Forest is to beat Blue with Charmander, and then get 5 free balls from Oak.

Crayolan

For people complaining about the donation messages (I don't like them either): Streamer said this and this

Yeah, that's literally impossible.
Literally.

We're playing a romhack in which it is possible.

There a compiled list/videos of the first play through? Missed so much exciting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ewHU86H-Q&list=PLqWGMliz06d8_S2jsc9-IqekE9uX7bWwe
http://www.reddit.com/r/twitchplays...tpp_season_1_review_video_links_to_important/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TwitchPlaysPokemonRed

There's tons of stuff on Red and Crystal.

The natural way that the shared lore and experiences built up around that first playthrough was amazing. There'll be dissertations written about that some day.

By contrast, the incredibly forced attempts by the community to construct lore absolutely crippled later playthroughs. It turned from the near-random will of hundreds of thousands to a handful of people trying far to hard to recapture the magic, to the detriment of the experience.

Andrefpvs

We just caught a Kakuna with our only Poké Ball.

Harden hype! Ahahah.

Edit: And we just set it as first Pokémon. LOL

My favorite TPP gif from last year:

Zl9TQxB.gif

The zeitgeist was amazing, since it was the first time it happened. I wonder how everyone will react to this new run.

PBalfredo

Hahaha. Route 1 is filled with pokemon with good potential (Pikachu, Doduo, and Spearow) and instead we end up with a Kakuna. Not only is it going to be hell to evolve that thing, but Beedrill is garbage anyways.

My favorite TPP gif from last year:

Zl9TQxB.gif

The zeitgeist was amazing, since it was the first time it happened. I wonder how everyone will react to this new run.

Same way they've acted with every single run since that's happened in the last year... With mild entertainment and a little bit of fanfic/fanart. You do realize these have been running non-stop since the first finished right?

Hahaha. Route 1 is filled with pokemon with good potential (Pikachu, Doduo, and Spearow) and instead we end up with a Kakuna. Not only is it going to be hell to evolve that thing, but Beedrill is garbage anyways.

Apparently we need to complete the pokedex to clear anyways. Kind of dumb IMO, but whatever

Same way they've acted with every single run since that's happened in the last year... With mild entertainment and a little bit of fanfic/fanart. You do realize these have been running non-stop since the first finished right?

Yeah, I know they played through the other games, but this being the first year anniversary and all, I wonder if the mood will escalate in any way. Maybe a lot of people who watched the original playthrough but not the other ones will hear about this and then the view numbers will go back up.

ubercheez

How the heck did they fill an entire year? I lost interest pretty quickly after Red was beaten.

Zubz

Banned
I'd be a lot more excited if they didn't immediately pick up Gold. I dunno, they just tried so hard to rush it; I didn't want to invest again immediately after the last game, and all the "lore" felt forced. I'd've rather they not done anything before than anniversary, or at least the half-anniversary, but oh well. I'll pop my head in from time to time, even if I don't expect much here.

santi_yo

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Not

Banned
One year already. I wasted so much time on this last February. I got very little school and work done. Still graduated, so what now suckaz

Complete the Pokedex? Jeez. Well, the less people there are the easier it'll be I guess

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
So it just looks like another repeat last year of pricks spamming the menu and moving up and down constantly over and over.
along with the people with an inability to get past their mental need for order in all walks of life and just have a laugh at the concept

Top Bottom