• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Fire Red Randomizer: Return to the Land of Ghost Lorelei

Crayolan

So Sabrina was normal type, Koga is flying type, and our Vigoroth is Stalin. Huh...

Edit: Holy shit, a guy wants to trade us a Mew for a Nidoran. Chat is going crazy.

xyzls

For where we a going to get Nidoran, its gonna be a pretty under leveled mew.

16 minutes before chat attempts to democratically fly to Nidoran.

So apparently if Mew isn't met by a "fateful encounter" it's hard-coded into the game that the Mew won't obey you, like having a pokemon that's higher than your gym badge level limit. The stream is going to go through all this trouble for a a low level, nigh untrainable pokemon, that only has a 1 in 7 chance of actually doing something in battle, and even risk the chance of ruining the team with more PC shenanigans. Surprising considering the fact that we boxed a machop that could only attack every other turn.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So apparently if Mew isn't met by a "fateful encounter" it's hard-coded into the game that the Mew won't obey you, like having a pokemon that's higher than your gym badge level limit. The stream is going to go through all this trouble for a a low level, nigh untrainable pokemon, that only has a 1 in 7 chance of actually doing something in battle, and even risk the chance of ruining the team with more PC shenanigans. Surprising considering the fact that we boxed a machop that could only attack every other turn.

So every Pokemon in anarchy mode?

So every Pokemon in anarchy mode?

Essentially, but it looks like it might have been patched in the randomizer "randomizer/src/com/dabomstew/pkrandom/romhandlers/Gen3RomHandler.java:private void attemptObedienceEvolutionPatches()" but I can't say for sure. It's still a terrible idea regardless.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's worth getting a Mew just so you can say you got one :) Whether it'll be a good fit in the party is something to worry about later (can always swap out again).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, here comes Mew. Time to see if this was worth it.

Democracy failed. But they managed to swap the order before going back to Anarchy and then got the trade off.

Relaxed nature. Still unknown ability.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not sure if trolling or if people really believe Mew is bad. The chat can be insufferable 99% of the time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So they got Mew out against Tropius, he took a hit and lived, swapped him out so he could gain loads of exp, but then swapped him right back in so he fainted.

Of course.

This battle is full of laughs. Clutch fail, Shellock survives with 1HP but misses the next attack that might have beaten Tropius.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Half the chat doesn't want to do anything with Mew. Regardless of potential having a level 12 Pokemon in the party at this point is dead weight.

Should have used Democracy to teach it an attacking TM and put it in the first spot.

They really should start leveling mew soon, preferably in the tower. Its base stats should make up for a crappy move set. Even smelling salts should be great if it were at a reasonable level.

PBalfredo

Yesterday I woke up to find that we caught a Slakoth. Now I wake up to find that we have Mew?! Goddamn TPP, you crazy!

Koga battle time.

Yesterday I woke up to find that we caught a Slakoth. Now I wake up to find that we have Mew?! Goddamn TPP, lol.

Koga battle time.
Yeah a lot of people want to box mew because of his awful move set in a randomized run (psychic has lots of non-damaging moves and he can no longer learn all TMs/HMs), but having base 100 stats should more than make up for those deficiencies, especially if it learns psychic or even confusion.
Edit: it's pretty ironic that the one Pokemon we all agreed was the worst and most expendable ended up evolving into potentially the best. If we'd managed to evolve into ninjask with huge power, we'd have never gotten rid of it.

Mew is too far behind. No way the chat is going to have the dedication to grind him 30 levels.
They have grinded lots of others. I think it's worth it, especially since they don't have to worry about evolving. I don't see them having the patience to evolve nincada if they swap out for him considering how terrible he is in his base form.

PBalfredo

Koga rematch.

Sandplash took down Farfetch'D. Tackle does good damage, but now he's paralyzed.

Oh shit, Noctowl knows Aeroblast too!

Take Down took down Noctowl. Sandsplash putting in work, but couldn't finish off Ninjask.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mew can be grinded at Pokemon tower. Should be relatively smooth sailing. Getting good moves on him will be tougher.

Right now Ninjask is killing everybody though :) Plus dead HUD is a bit annoying.

Ironjam

How ironic is that Mew, a legendary we worked hard to get, is totally useless without TMs while the Nincada we boxed would have evolved into a Ninjask with Huge Power and Aeroblast.

How ironic is that Mew, a legendary we worked hard to get, is totally useless without TMs while the Nincada we boxed would have evolved into a Ninjask with Huge Power and Aeroblast.

That does assume that we could evolve it without going insane after how terrible nincada is... and then manage to not completely screw up its moveset.

Edit: Why does the RNG always hate us? Horn drill has a 63% chance of hitting if we're level 33, yet it missed four times in a row and only hit on the one Pokemon that we wanted to catch.

PBalfredo

Ooh, caught a Ponyta. We actually wore it down to the red before chucking a pokeball at it too. It's almost like we're real pokemon trainers.

Thinking about it, the thing that surprises me the most about Mew is that it didn't get caught by the "Regular pokemon for regulars, legendaries for legendaries" setting in the randomizer. I guess that setting doesn't effect the randomized trades?

Top Bottom