• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

smr00

Banned
I can't believe what I just read. You can't make this stuff up.
Just throw a murder in that story and you have a riveting law and order SVU episode.

The whole story is just bizarre and yeah, it's the kind of shit that you can't make up because it's so extremely dumb and outrageous.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, if I was an investor in Twitch I would be SUPER pissed off right now. These admins are forgetting that Twitch is a business, and banning your star customers is a terrible, terrible business idea.

meijiko

Good. They have that charity thing coming up soon; this "controversy" isn't a good look.

There's a huge overlap in the communities of SRL and SDA though. It's generally all considered the speedrun community. And no, the people running both websites aren't involved in this drama.

And people need to realize that this isn't all about an emoticon. It's not about Horror being a gay furry. It's about a particular admin outright banning people for speaking out against their actions of cronyism and immaturity. Duke_Bilgewater said an offhand comment in twitch chat, and got ip banned for it. If that ip ban hadn't taken place, all of this would have blown over in a few days.

tCp90.gif

God I love some good drama between admins/mods and users!

Foffy

Banned
One streamer, at least one of his mods, and about a dozen people in the stream when sub only mode was taken off. When sub only mode came off it was one of the worst things I've ever seen on twitch. There is absolutely zero excuse to say it ever. Duke saying something tongue-in-cheek and getting banned is bunk. Dumb people antagonizing someone who is just doing what they are told to maybe put out the fire a little bit is outrageous behavior.

I mean is it so hard to not say to remove Horror in your stream title? Or to say it in chat? To rise above the middle school level of maturity? I know it's asking a lot for many on Twitch, but rightly or wrongly you know what is happening. It's best to just let it blow over instead of adding fuel to the fire.

I agree, you should never berate a person to such a level who really, in all honesty, has done jack shit to you. The problem I saw from the whole ordeal (and why I referred to them as manchildren) really stems from so many dudes just trying to fight any and all authority that came their way. Not the person they may have issue with, but any single staff member that interacted with them. It was confrontation for the sake of confrontation. And again, this all stems over fucking emoticons. It was literally speedrunners talking shit about any staff that entered their chats. I find that to be crazy. It was funny to see the absurdity the streamers would do on their streams at times, but it became too much when words were being tossed at staff telling them to cut it out.

LeleSocho

Banned
In his defense, what are you supposed to say when people are anonymously calling for the firing of a coworker? It's a pretty crappy position no matter what the circumstance.

Probably this
I can't talk about this too much (we have a policy to not discuss moderation decisions publicly for privacy reasons), but do know that the entire situation is very seriously being looked into and is not being taken lightly. I'm hopeful for a positive outcome for all involved parties.

In his defense, what are you supposed to say when people are anonymously calling for the firing of a coworker? It's a pretty crappy position no matter what the circumstance.

Part of being an adult is dealing with the consequences of your actions. You don't have to fire him, but you should probably rein in some of his authority at the very least. Admins were using their position of authority to censor people's streams. People were IP banned for voicing their opinion. So you're willing to destroy your community just to protect your employee?

UrbanRats

I don't get it, if this "Horror" dude is so horrible, why not just stop following his streams and be done with it? Instead of keeping on trying to throw jabs at him? Why not just ignore it?

meijiko

I don't get it, if this "Horror" dude is so horrible, why not just stop following his streams and be done with it? Instead of keeping on trying to throw jabs at him? Why not just ignore it?

He's a twitch admin, not a streamer. He banned people from the website.

Horror is Twitch's lead administrator. He's barring people from streaming.

EDIT: Beaten!

I agree, you should never berate a person to such a level who really, in all honesty, has done jack shit to you. The problem I saw from the whole ordeal (and why I referred to them as manchildren) really stems from so many dudes just trying to fight any and all authority that came their way. Not the person they may have issue with, but any single staff member that interacted with them. It was confrontation for the sake of confrontation. And again, this all stems over fucking emoticons. It was literally speedrunners talking shit about any staff that entered their chats. I find that to be crazy. It was funny to see the absurdity the streamers would do on their streams at times, but it became too much when words were being tossed at staff telling them to cut it out.

Dude, this stemmed from Horror banning Duke over a harmless joke pointing out the silly cronyism. At this point the outrage isn't over emotes. None of this happens if Twitch goes, "We're looking into this situation". Of course morons are going to grab onto any reason to be a shit, just like a riot in real life, but none of this happens without Twitch reacting in the worst possible way to one of their admins stepping out of line.

Velcro Fly

Dude, this stemmed from Horror banning Duke over a harmless joke pointing out the silly cronyism. At this point the outrage isn't over emotes. None of this happens if Twitch goes, "We're looking into this situation". Of course morons are going to grab onto any reason to be a shit, just like a riot in real life, but none of this happens without Twitch reacting in the worst possible way to one of their admins stepping out of line.

None of that excuses the way people are reacting. We want Twitch to be better and more professional than viewers need to do the same. Hold ourselves to the higher standard we are trying to hold them to.

Foffy

Banned

Oh, I'm not trying to defend Twitch here. It's an incredibly absurd series of events on both the staff and the streamers. I think Twitch's official Twitter account even made a joke about the bannings, which was in rather poor taste if that's the case. All I'm saying is that the level it's escalated to is literally crazy shit. Redickdonkulous.

EDIT: And bam, someone posted the Tweet.

Bizazedo

None of that excuses the way people are reacting. We want Twitch to be better and more professional than viewers need to do the same. Hold ourselves to the higher standard we are trying to hold them to.

Actually, no. Viewers are not required to this. It's a nice to have, yes, but it's not their responsibility.

After thinking about it and viewing some of the info linked...yeah, Twitch needs to realize it can't act like this. They have to be professional.

And it looks like Twitch needs to roll an admin or two under the bus at this point. Welcome to modern business :).

There's two sets of behavior here, Duke, Peaches and Werster weren't using horrible abusive language towards admins. The initial outrage is about them getting banned. Once that shitball starts rolling you're absolutely right in condemning the behavior that such a scene attracts. However Foffy keeps trying to portray this as "nerds getting mad over emotes". That's not what brought this issue to such a froth.

meijiko

The people that matter are generally encouraging a calm response to twitch, at least now. But you cannot control the internet, and no matter what, there will always be disgusting comments made when the masses are involved. You can't help that. If you're a prominent person you can discourage it, but it's still going to happen.

And it's unreasonable to put the viewers responsible for how Twitch is run. Twitch is a money-making business, they should act professionally by default.

hitme

/Abahbob (not sure if I can link)

There's a discussion about it right now with a couple of Twitch staff.

Twitch is pretty much doing some bad DC.

Foffy

Banned
There's two sets of behavior here, Duke, Peaches and Werster weren't using horrible abusive language towards admins. The initial outrage is about them getting banned. Once that shitball starts rolling you're absolutely right in condemning the behavior that such a scene attracts. However Foffy keeps trying to portray this as "nerds getting mad over emotes". That's not what brought this issue to such a froth.

I am not saying it is entirely that. When I am referring to emotes, I am talking about the origination to the whole series of events. Clearly it wasn't emotes that led to all of the bannings, but it was emotes that trailed off into jokes about a certain emote, which led to a ban and later escalated to involve those actions towards further bannings. Did I help make that clearer? I apologize if I am not being clear, as I'm actually pretty fucking tired.

TGMIII

The rules of twitch seem to change depending on the mood of the admin/staff you run into so this is hardly surprising and isn't the first time admins/staff have threw their weight around.

PR lessons need to be given out to most of the staff.

Twitch needs to grow the fuck up and realize they are a real business now.

This isn't some fucking nerd clubhouse anymore. If they do not adapt, Justin.tv is going to leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table.

Because, if they can't control staffers from being unprofessional and if the management refuses to sack up and enforce professional business standards on rogue employees, they will eventually fail. The big money--advertisers, sony and microsoft--will simply go elsewhere, where the potential of an embarrassing PR incident or customer backlash is less likely.

I am not saying it is entirely that. When I am referring to emotes, I am talking about the origination to the whole series of events. Clearly it wasn't emotes that led to all of the bannings, but it was emotes that trailed off into jokes about a certain emote, which led to a ban and later escalated to involve those actions towards further bannings. Did I help make that clearer? I apologize if I am not being clear, as I'm actually pretty fucking tired.

Alright, yeah nothing personal. I just felt like it was an attempt to diminish the catalyst. Hopefully moving forward Twitch handles this appropriately.

Top Bottom