• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
t5RiV3Y.png

#collusion

Is that real ? Censorship ? Good idea genius, trying to sweep it quietly under the rug.

redhood56

Banned
Now some twitch admins are trying to get that r/speedrun thread down. They are getting in contact with reddit admins. What the fuck, twitch needs to grow a pair or this shit is going to keep happening. Jesus I don't even want to go to any twitch streams anymore after seeing how they acted. I only watch 1 stream a week so it isn't to bad, but god damn.

Foffy

Banned
Is that real ? Censorship ? Good idea genius.

Yeah, this dude went pretty HAM in one of the streams, and if any mod deserved to be shat at, he sort of deserved it. Someone raided a streamer with the whole "REMOVE HORROR" shit, and that admin stealthed in and put the room in subscriber mode (the streamer had no Partnership). This led to the streamer getting pissed and getting into a verbal fight with the admin for implying the streamer was encouraging this. The streamer made a user mod to allow users to post again, and I think that admin permbanned the appointed mod.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LOL. An image showing they're going to censor stuff is just going to blow back and spread everywhere.

Velcro Fly

Yeah it's one thing to ban the antagonists but to try and get a thread deleted that has some solid information on what exactly happened is complete bullshit.

Storm360

Shame, I really enjoyed Duke's Hotline Miami streams, and try to catch most of Adam AK's GTA runs.

Sadly twitch is the best service for streaming at the moment, kinda like going up a creek without a paddle

Requeim

Yeah, this dude went pretty HAM in one of the streams, and if any mod deserved to be shat at, he sort of deserved it. Someone raided a streamer with the whole "REMOVE HORROR" shit, and that admin stealthed in and put the room in subscriber mode (the streamer had no Partnership). This led to the streamer getting pissed and getting into a verbal fight with the admin for implying the streamer was encouraging this. The streamer made a user mod to allow users to post again, and I think that admin permbanned the appointed mod.

Absolutely ridiculous.

that was skeletonbills stream, and he shut chris92 completely up

also didn't get banned

Peaches is one of the most entertaining and interesting people in the speedrun community, and I feel like that's a segment of their creators that they might not want to lose.

This is ridiculously unprofessional on so many levels.

Twitch could not possibly be coming off as any more amateurish than they are now. This is is bad PR DEFCON 1. Unfathomable idiocy.

Kumubou

The issue with the emotes goes a bit beyond a manchild fight. For Twitch partners, the two primary ways to earn income is through broadcasting ads (which have horrible fillrates and buyrates, but that's another matter entirely) and through subscriptions, which are a passive monthly fee for the broadcaster. One of the biggest benefits that a streamer can offer is custom emotes, as they can be a far stronger incentive for people to subscribe than most people realize. However (as it's been illustrated by other people here), actually getting the emotes approved for your channel is a pain in the ass. So having an admin's boyfriend jump in front of everyone else because they're dating is, if nothing else, going to piss a bunch of people off who have some real money riding on those silly emotes.

That's the messed up part about banning werster -- he was making enough money from his Pokemon runs to live off it. So by banning him they effectively fired him, as well. Granted, if I made the comment he made to someone where I work, I would be pretty damn likely to be fired too... the difference is, that sort of behavior is not tolerated by anyone in a normal workplace, whereas Twitch chat can be the cesspool. And the admin in question might be part of the problem, to boot (warning: I can't directly source this). Edit edit: Someone posted some screenshots--removed because I've been told that the screenshots were faked.

Good thing hitbox.tv and ustream exist.

Oh wait, no one will leave twitch.
I think part of the issue is that people who runs streams are too closely tied to Twitch -- they're not branding themselves independent of Twitch as well as they could. I remember when Sp00ky moved from Twitch to Own3d for a bit -- the stream was much higher quality (this is back when Twitch performed like shit on the east coast) and the chat was MUCH less stupid, but he lost about half of his viewership and there were constant complains over the lack of emotes. There were even people who thought he stopped streaming, being completely unaware that he just moved to a different platform. Discoverablity on Twitch is a lot better than UStream's and Youtube Live, as well.

EDIT: uh oh Twitch plz don't ban me for talking bad about your site on a third party forum.

Banananana

Neo Member
You know, despite all this hot air, Twitch still has a monopoly on gaming streams.
They know this, and it seems like they think they can get away with anything apparently, and there's nothing we viewers can do about it since they're the only store in town.
Sad.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Speaking as someone that just started watching twitch streams a week ago: this is the kind of behaviour that pushes people like me away. Crazy admins? I thought this was a legitimate website, not some kids chatroom.

You thought wrong.

Bring back own.3d. And uh, pay the streamers this time.

Nice to see that some of the world's most premier websites are still run by children. Lessons learned from the Lowtax School of Public Relations, I suppose

CurlyW

I don't really see the connection that Cyghfer has to this, honestly. I think that part of the story is tenuous at best.

However, the people who work at Twitch need to realize that by making emotes of themselves or loved ones for use in public channels, they are making themselves public figures (at least public in the Twitch/IRC/video game streaming environment) and as public figures, they will often be on the receiving end of mockery and ridicule. If that's not acceptable, then they should stay behind the scenes. Remember what happened to EMPJared.
EMPJared.jpg

Also, I had never heard of Horror until 6 hours ago. My life was happier then.

meijiko

Just fyi, I don't think it was mentioned yet in this thread, but Werster has been completely unbanned. Still waiting on the others.

Admitting you're working with Reddit to censor stuff might possibly be the dumbest thing you could do. And the mod that admitted it was making light of it in Werster's chat a few minutes ago.

zhorkat

The issue with the emotes goes a bit beyond a manchild fight. For Twitch partners, the two primary ways to earn income is through broadcasting ads (which have horrible fillrates and buyrates, but that's another matter entirely) and through subscriptions, which are a passive monthly fee for the broadcaster. One of the biggest benefits that a streamer can offer is custom emotes, as they can be a far stronger incentive for people to subscribe than most people realize. However (as it's been illustrated by other people here), actually getting the emotes approved for your channel is a pain in the ass. So having an admin's boyfriend jump in front of everyone else because they're dating is, if nothing else, going to piss a bunch of people off who have some real money riding on those silly emotes.

If part of the way to incentivize people to subscribe is through custom emotes, how does a global emote that anyone can use benefit a streamer? How does a random global emote being made negatively impact other streamers who are trying to get their own custom emotes made available?

Top Bottom