• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch vs Speedrun Community Drama (update: Twitch officially responds)

Jared's probably just crying in a corner by now

seems like the only person who is applying common sense in his responses
Yeah he seems like a good guy. Don't know what he actually does over there though. Hopefully he's in a position to do something about this stupid mess.

Or you know, I hope they have someone sensible in a high up position. Because this is just pathetic, unprofessional and embarrassing. Immature amateur hour. If this is how stuff's allowed to be run, Twitch may not be made to last.

I can't talk about this too much (we have a policy to not discuss moderation decisions publicly for privacy reasons), but do know that the entire situation is very seriously being looked into and is not being taken lightly. I'm hopeful for a positive outcome for all involved parties.

t5RiV3Y.png

#collusion

I sincerly hope so

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wow. The way reddit (at least, that subreddit? I don't know how mods and the like work on that site) and twitch are handling this shit is very unprofessional and immature.
The people bitching about the emoticons are no better either.

Everyone's in the wrong here.

Subreddits are moderated by whoever creates the subreddit or is given mod privileges. Outside of legal issues, I doubt the actual administrators of reddit really care too much.

Madao

this trainwreck is too crazy to believe.

good thing it hasn't taken over all of the speedrunning streamers.

Zomba13

Wtf is this, why isn't there a mass revolt on reddit?

Reddit admins are all super scummy. Always censoring shit to cover things up if it ends up being good for them. I remember on the FFXIV reddit there was a guy in game who was working with some guys on sabotaging a boss run to make the going rate to pay for a run through higher (something was said like "we need to make them really desperate and then we get them"). Every time it was bright up or a topic made it was deleted because that guy was also a mod on the reddit.

antitrop

Hey, someone Google Image Search "Mario Brothers Quilt" and then post it on Reddit saying your terminally-ill girlfriend made it, guaranteed karma points.

They eat that kind of shit up over there, but you know... interesting conversations aren't allowed.

Drencrom

Wow. The way reddit (at least, that subreddit? I don't know how mods and the like work on that site) and twitch are handling this shit is very unprofessional and immature.
The people bitching about the emoticons are no better either.

Everyone's in the wrong here.

People aren't bitching about the silly emoticon anymore, they're bitching about shitty abusing mods, the mass-bans of speedrunners and censorship.

Reddit admins are all super scummy. Always censoring shit to cover things up if it ends up being good for them. I remember on the FFXIV reddit there was a guy in game who was working with some guys on sabotaging a boss run to make the going rate to pay for a run through higher (something was said like "we need to make them really desperate and then we get them"). Every time it was bright up or a topic made it was deleted because that guy was also a mod on the reddit.

The best was when they were all laughing about it in their chats. It was something very shameful. Not as bad as this, those were some stupid guys making some virtual maney in an assholish way, this is about professionals acting anything like one.

kirblar

I can't grow a mustache.

Also, I actually haven't been involved in moderation for about a year now as its under the customer service umbrella. I wish there was more I could tell you guys, other than I do actually appreciate the feedback in this thread. Plenty of lessons to go around once the dust settles.
They're under the CS Umbrella and that's how they're acting in public? Jeeeeeeeez.

Raonak

Banned
Read throught the thread. Holy fuck twitch. it's clearly run by a bunch of 12 year olds. first the bannings, then the twitter support which I can't even believe, then the reddit cencorship.

They're acting like mods on a niche forum instead of the big business they've become.

Recknor

Neo Member
This is going to bite Twitch in the ass, hard.

Yeah, it baffles me that this situation is escalating when Twitch is integrated into new consoles that are breaking sales records (or will be integrated soon I guess?). Does nobody there think this might be a bad story to have circulating when they're about to get a ton of new streamers and users?

Or maybe nobody cares about chat drama, i dunno

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am now glad I barely know how to navigate and never use reddit. Sounds pretty grim over there.

Firehead

People aren't bitching about the silly emoticon anymore, they're bitching about shitty abusing mods, the mass-bans of speedrunners and censorship.

Oh, I know. I should've stated that those three parties are in the wrong, instead of the "everyone's wrong" in my post.

It's amusing how this should have an easy, clean solution. Yet, they keep picking at the wound and pouring salt in it. There's no reason for any of this drama, yet...

sephi22

I can't talk about this too much (we have a policy to not discuss moderation decisions publicly for privacy reasons), but do know that the entire situation is very seriously being looked into and is not being taken lightly. I'm hopeful for a positive outcome for all involved parties.

Weren't you disgusted/offended by the general unprofessionalism in the FGC?
I wonder how you feel when its in your own backyard.

Naminator

Banned

You're doing a great job so far dude, just continue on.

Zomba13

The best was when they were all laughing about it in their chats. It was something very shameful. Not as bad as this, those were some stupid guys making some virtual maney in an assholish way, this is about professionals acting anything like one.

Completely agree just not at all surprised to see there are others on reddit in a position of power that have no problem with exploiting it.

Atilac

How do I report such abuses? are the mods of /r/games the same as /r/gaming?

[–]el_chupacupcake[M] 1 point 23 seconds ago
It was removed because it had identifiable information and was designed to lead to a witch hunt.
Remember when we harassed the Infinity Ward twitter personality for a month?
Remember the vile hate Reddit spat at every bioware employee they could find to the point some quit?
And the violent, terrifying things said when reddit found where Paul Cristoforo's kid went to school?! Or his fiance worked?!
We're not doing this anymore. No more disgusting, horrible witch hunts based on little more than a screen shot.
No more.

Reddit sounds like a nice community filled with nice people.

Faddy

Banned
Because if there's anyone a reddit admin can relate to, it's a moron abusing their power on the internet, and then reacting wildly inappropriately when challenged.

This is so true. Reedit is a mess of personal theifdoms and mods are basically untouchable.

The speed runners like Werster and Cosmo just have to take the shit though since it is their job. They need Twitch more than Twitch needs them.

kirblar

Seems like the mod is already shutting it down.

Reddit is worthless.
[–]el_chupacupcake[M] 1 point 1 minute ago
It was removed because it had identifiable information and was designed to lead to a witch hunt.
Remember when we harassed the Infinity Ward twitter personality for a month?
Remember the vile hate Reddit spat at every bioware employee they could find to the point some quit? Sharing their personal emails and private twitter handles?!
And the violent, terrifying things said when reddit found where Paul Cristoforo's kid went to school?! Or his fiance worked?!
We're not doing this anymore. No more disgusting, horrible witch hunts based on little more than a screen shot.
No more.

This mod clearly doesn't understand the meaning of the phrase "Witch Hunt."

traveler

Not Wario
Reddit sounds like a nice community filled with nice people.

It's a shame how the wronged community has responded, both in Twitch and Reddit, because they have a legit case against Horror and twitch really does deserve to be held accountable, but the vitriol the gaming community spews sometimes makes it too easy to take Twitch's side or for them to paint this in some other light. If everyone followed Adam_AK's example, Twitch would have no ground to stand on and their complaints might actually achieve something. Now, people will just see two sides acting like idiots or worse and ignore it all. :/

Wow, how unprofessional can a person be? This is only a "streaming videos lol" business, but it's a business, and you can't have morons sabotaging your company's image because they're idiots and on a power-trip.

Read throught the thread. Holy fuck twitch. it's clearly run by a bunch of 12 year olds. first the bannings, then the twitter support which I can't even believe, then the reddit cencorship.

They're acting like mods on a niche forum instead of the big business they've become.

I've seen better professionalism from lowly teenage cashiers at McDs then I have from Twich's head honchos. That's just pathetic. These guys are getting paid a lot of $$$, they're running a business not a small forum.

traveler

Not Wario
Witch hunt is a poor choice of words as it implies that the targets haven't actually done anything wrong, but there is a reasonable point buried underneath all that which is that the harassment the community unleashes in response to these events, even when they've been legitimately wronged, is often worse than the offending actions in the first place.

survivor

Banned
I really hope Sony and MS money will lead Twitch to act more professional. Cause so far this has been very embarrassing for them.

it's unfortunate but Twitch is pretty much the only game in town and can do whatever they want. just hope Youtube can somehow move into the game streaming market and be rid of these clowns for good.

Top Bottom