• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Guys SpaceVenture Kickstarter by Two Guys From Andromeda [Ended, $539K funded]

I am not proud of it, but it was the only decent Roger Wilco image I could find :(

Did anyone buy the SQ collection when it came out?

I bought the LSL Collection and it came with a great book with a lot of cool stories from Al Lowe in it. It even had "interviews" between Larry and Al that were pretty funny. Did the SQ collection have anything like that?

Gog has all 6 games if you want to try 6 (2 bundles of 3 games each). But yeah, 6 is not that good. It's got Gary but that's about it.

Also...HOLY CRAP! Gary Owens is still alive?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the novelty of going back in time to the days of CGA and EGA in SQ4, but SQ5 is a legitimately better game. Also, you can always go into the panel on your ship and pull out the VGA chip when you're feeling saucy.

Also, fuck crawling through a maze of vents at the end of SQ5. That part was stupid. The rest was baller though, especially having to fight the fembot on that jungle planet.

...god, now I really want to replay SQ5.

I am not proud of it, but it was the only decent Roger Wilco image I could find :(

Just for you:

Xr9tN.jpg

If this is indeed a Kickstarter I hope it doesn't start for another couple of months or so. I've already got a lot of them to support at the moment and I want to be able to give a pretty good amount to this one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I actually really liked 6. Getting gary owens again for that one probably helped, but it was just a really interesting game to me. But, of course, the Pirates of Pestulon was my absolute favorite.

El-Suave

Any ETA on the kickstarter?

In the last LSLarry update video, Josh Mandel said the Two Guys Kickstarter would probably start shortly after or near the end of Jane Jensen's campaign. Don't know how much he knows though, but it makes sense not to have too many similar projects asking for funds at the same time.

It´s a shame that they couldn´t have waited another 11 days. This is going to take a lot of attention from the finishing part of Jane Jensens kickstarter.

epmode

Hm, the $100 box doesn't include a download? Yuck.

It´s a shame that they couldn´t have waited another 11 days. This is going to take a lot of attention from the finishing part of Jane Jensens kickstarter.

I hope not. I really wanted that to hit $450,000.

StevieP

Banned
I think I'll be down for $100... SQ has a special place in my gaming past and there is a lot of modern sci-fi these guys can draw from to spoof!

El-Suave

I'm afraid of this as well, but I need to back them both generously (for boxed games).

By the way, the 500k goal for a completely new game really supports my gut feeling that what the Larry Kickstarter asked was a bit too much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm very excited for this, but I really wish they had made the physical reward tier a little lower.

Oh well! I'll have to contribute when I have the chance.

nexen

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope they get all the money they need.
And more.

Really.

d1rtn4p

In for $250. Space Quest is my second favorite adventure series behind Monkey Island. I really can't wait to see what they produce from this effort!

Rahul

This is currently bugging me--no download and no beta. It's probably an evil plot to convince me to go up to the $150 level, but I'm not sure if it's going to work or not.

A beta may yet happen, but note that there is going to be a playable mini-adventure game demo during the kickstarter period that will be shaped based on backer feedback. So that's something other kickstarters don't have. As far as I'm concerned that's an awesome way for them to give us clear feedback as to what kind of game they plan on making and how far they're willing to be flexible in response to feedback.

El-Suave

The Two Guys certainly prepared us better than most other projects did, this is one of the few Kickstarters I was aware of before it launched. Most other projects hit me out of the blue mote or less. That's why they're off to a great start.
I find the rewards a bit confusing despite the chart though (also no mention of intl. shipping), and it's a pity that the Buckazoid is only available at $500, that could/should have been in every boxed version.

Boerseun

Banned
I'd back this project over just about any other Kickstarter going.

Also, it's worth noting that these guys split up at some point, which is why this project is so attractive to fans like myself. We've wanted to see them back together designing a game for close to twenty years now. And it's finally going to happen! (Hopefully!)

Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter - designed by Scott Murphy & Mark Crowe
Space Quest 2: Vohaul's Revenge - designed by Scott Murphy & Mark Crowe
Space Quest 3: The Pirates of Pestulon - designed by Scott Murphy & Mark Crowe
Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers - designed by Scott Murphy & Mark Crowe
Space Quest 5: The Next Mutation - designed by Mark Crowe
Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier - designed by Josh Mandel & Scott Murphy (the latter only came on-board near the end)
Space Quest 7 (cancelled) - designed by Scott Murphy
Space Quest 7 fangame (cancelled) - designed by Josh Mandel

Why the break-up happened:

Mark Crowe said:
SQ4 had been a particularly stressful development (I still consider it to be my masterpiece product) and I was ready to move on to something different for my next project. I was impressed with the work Jeff Tunnel was doing at Dynamix, and was ready for a life change so I came on board there in Eugene, Oregon. I had a few product ideas in mind that utilized Dynamix' adventure gamer development system, but shortly after my arrival, I was asked to do SQ5 using Sierra's SCI." Scott Murphy stayed working in Oakhurst and they would never again work together on a Space Quest game. Mark Crowe continues: "I was aware that Josh Mandel (co designer of SQ6 -ed) was working on a design for SQ5 at that point of time. I don't know about all the politics surrounding that. They asked me to do SQ5, I had some ideas for a story so I said SURE!" Mark Crowe did a great job, but it was to be his last Space Quest.

krYlon

I'll be backing this for sure, Space Quest was probably my favourite childhood game. I loved 2 & 4 as well.
This Kickstarter thing just gets better and better.

Rahul

The mini playable game thingie is really cool imo. Should give a clear indicator on whether they lost their touch or not.

That's why we're doing it! We need to prove that the Two Guys know what they're doing. I showed them the Penny Arcade comic ("online with friends") and they agreed that that was a definite pitfall, so it's on us to help show everyone that just because you're out of the game for 20 years doesn't mean you don't still know your stuff.

Fingers crossed. But I'm hopeful.

I thought the break up was supposed to have been bitter?

There was an interview where Scott talked about it and he sounded very bitter. Of course he was wrong about Space Quest 5 not being good, so he could have been wrong about the breakup as well. Space Quest 6 did suck though, aside from the narration and the random grave guy from Gabriel Knight showing up.

I3rand0

I've already backed this, but why can't they do another Space Quest game? Is it an IP issue or just a desire to try something new?

Top Bottom