• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Guys SpaceVenture Kickstarter by Two Guys From Andromeda [Ended, $539K funded]

mclem

Ok, it's time for Steve Meretzky to kickstart Spellcasting 401.

Mildly surprised Legend's adventures aren't on GoG yet, actually. Perhaps there's lots of licensing hoo-hah in the way, since some of their stuff was from licensed properties.

To be fair, though, if Meretzky was to do a kickstarter, I'd suspect the Leather Goddesses of Phobos name would go further than Spellcasting. Provided no bidders recall LGOP2.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Moriarty do something on there.

Saty

You really shouldn't be fighting anything. It isn't a demo, more like a bare bones proof-of-concept that is 2 minute long w\o any gameplay. It just to get the vibe and the impression of how the final game will be.

El-Suave

This Kickstarter is stalling at the moment. It would be a shame if the concept/demo they released hurt them, but it certainly looks that way. I would hope people were smarter than this, especially since they're targeting an older crowd.

It would be a major disappointment for me if this one doesn't make it while a Larry remake did.

Yeah, they have had to iterate in the last 4 updates that this is only a tech demo and that the final game will work as a stand alone executable and will not require a web browser.

What looked like a brilliant idea (continuous tech demos) have certainly turned into a bit of a mess.

There is a survey out now in which they ask for feedback. I suggest anyone still having concerns to let their voice be heard: http://bit.ly/tgapolls

This Kickstarter is stalling at the moment. It would be a shame if the concept/demo they released hurt them, but it certainly looks that way.

I was surprised that they didn't have a long intro telling people over and over what a tech demo is for, releasing a concept piece of what they want the final game to look like could nullify peoples misgivings.

I was surprised that they didn't have a long intro telling people over and over what a tech demo is for, releasing a concept piece of what they want the final game to look like could nullify peoples misgivings.

Indeed, I just checked out the demo now in Chrome. It works well in Linux with no problems. For those having problems, you need to have a Google account of some kind before you can download it (I used my Gmail account). Once it is downloaded, just open up the apps tab in Chrome and run the app. If you are still having problems, try updating to the latest version of Google Chrome. Other than that, I have no more helpful advice to give.

The demo is pretty basic with some placeholder art. So to be honest, It isn't too exciting. But it is nice to see a small demo of something. I haven't been reading all the updates, so I wonder if this will be a standalone executable programmed in HTML5? Is that even possible without a dedicated browser? It would make porting this to multiple OS's easy if they could.

But I was a huge fan of the Space Quest games, so I'm still excited for this one. I hope it succeeds. I would love to see another game in the vein of the original Space Quest.

wrowa

All this talk about Space Quest made me pretty interested in the series. Are the games still worthwhile today if one isn't experienced with this Sierra-kind of old-school adventure? And which one should I start with?

I believe the are all available from GOG.

I would recommend starting with 4.

They are only loosely connected, so the order they are played do not matter that much, except for some random references you might not get.

StevieP

Banned
Just did my $115 and convinced my brother to put $100 into it... but it seems this thing is pretty stalled at this point. Is it gonna make it? :(

mclem

Just did my $115 and convinced my brother to put $100 into it... but it seems this thing is pretty stalled at this point. Is it gonna make it? :(

There's still plenty of time, but they could do with making the rounds of news websites to drum up support.

Lafazar

Project Update #8: What really happened when the "Two Guys" reunited?

https://vimeo.com/42309304

Edit: Oops, why didn't I see that last post? Well, in any case, it's pretty funny and seems to somewhat address the parting on bad terms between them, which they are hopefully over now.

Rahul

Anything you can do to support it, guys! I'm working on the second prototype right now and there's going to be some more PR in the next few days. If you have any contacts in the media that you know, feel free to go ahead and poke them. Every little bit helps.

ghostmind

Oh wow, I told myself I wasn't going to support any more of these until the ones I had already backed bore fruit, but this is special.

It looks like the $115 tier is the sweet-spot?

New tiers:
$45 - Newly Added Tier:
"COLLECTORS EDITION AUTOGRAPHED 8x10 + INVOLVED EASTER EGG IN GAME: An 8x10 art print signed by Scott and Mark along with the entire development team. This item will be available as a Kickstarter ONLY reward item, never to be reproduced! All higher PHYSICAL reward tiers will also receive this new item! The artwork will also involve a special in game Easter egg dedicated to the $45 and up backers! This tier also includes all previous rewards. The 8x10 print will be mailed to you. International backers please add $5 shipping and handling."

$75 - Newly Added Tier
TWO GUYS SPACEVENTURE "BACKER ONLY" T-SHIRT. This tier includes all previous rewards including the new 8x10 reward. This also means the $100 PHYSICAL and above tiers receive the T-shirt as well. International backers please include $15 shipping and handling.

Frogacuda

Banned
All this talk about Space Quest made me pretty interested in the series. Are the games still worthwhile today if one isn't experienced with this Sierra-kind of old-school adventure? And which one should I start with?
Yeah, totally worthwhile still. SQ1-4 are kind of the classics that people latch onto. SQ5 was handled without Scott and it's good, but different, and SQ6 is just not as good as the rest.

I would say Start with III or IV, depending on your tolerance for text parsers.

They updated the kickstarter talking about their vision for the game:
Many of you faithful backers, and perhaps many more would-be backers still sitting on the fence, want to know more details about THE GAME we are currently brainstorming. Well, THAT is precisely where we’re at, in the brainstorming stage- that exciting time where all notions are cast up into a beautiful, fluid nebula of ideas that begin coalescing into concepts for a story, a hero, a villain, characters, worlds and gameplay; Quite literally the birth of a new universe.
Worlds are forming and beings will evolve as the story develops. So why aren’t we releasing any details yet? Well, because the details are still very fluid in this early design phase. And, frankly, this is what part of the Kickstarter funds are for... to fund the “design” of the game. The script, if you will.
We have a virtual idea board that we’ve plaster with every sci-fi reference, gag, characters, crazy death, and puzzle ideas that we can throw at it. But most importantly, is the story. Story is King! Without a good narrative thread you’ve got NOTHING. So we’re also in the process of coming up with a compelling tale to stitch together all those ‘milk-out-the-nose’ moments we want you to experience in our game. You could say we are in the pre-preproduction phase.

So, what can you expect to experience in our new game? Here are Gir Draxon’s latest predictions:
  • A new (and unlikely) Space Hero will emerge from a lowly station but with a unique skill set. Possibly a female protagonist.
  • It will not feature a certain space janitor or other SQ characters
  • The Two Guys (Scott and Mark) will be present as in-game characters
  • A new “Space Foul” character will definitely be making a prominent debut
  • You will navigate your own spacecraft through the SpaceVenture galaxy.
  • You will engage in hilarious space dogfight sequences.
  • No recent sci-fi/fantasy related movie, series or video game is safe from our parody scope. We’re looking at you Avatar, Firefly, and Halo.
  • The game will play, look, sound and feel every bit like it was cut from the same cloth as our previous creations, ONLY MUCH BETTER in very way! We’ve learned a thing or two and tech has improved a little since the 90s.

They also did a Q&A thing yesterday. Unfortunately they had technical problems, but it was still quite interesting. (It's available here).
One interesting thing that came out of that a bunch of sketches, concept art and ingame art from their SQ days: http://imgur.com/a/0nxRq
They talk about each of these in turn, but I found this one especially hillarious:
IUVjbh.jpg

Anyway, it's still moving a bit slow, hopefully the next prototype supposed to come out in a few days, will push things along.

Jeff-DSA

I'm really hoping that this picks up some steam. It's on pace by amount raised compared to the time it's been up, but funds are coming in very slowly now and it won't make it if they don't get new support.

Zweisy1

I will have to get on this soon with a substantial pledge.

Space Quest is one of the best adventure game series of all time. SQ3 and 4 in particular are some of the funniest and clever games ever made. Can't think of any series with death scenes as funny and interesting. And you just gotta love Roger Wilco..

mclem

I'm really hoping that this picks up some steam. It's on pace by amount raised compared to the time it's been up, but funds are coming in very slowly now and it won't make it if they don't get new support.
I think it's okay; we can reasonably expect a final spike, particularly if it's *just* short at the start of the final day. That said, of the three biggest KS I'm tracking now (Carmageddon, Project Fedora and this), this is the one I'm most nervous for; hopefully the fact that they're finishing at similar times will lead to backers from those shifting their attention to Spaceventure towards the end.

A little bit of promotional work might pay dividends, though. I feel a lot more like I've been kept up-to-date by Project Fedora than I do for Spaceventure, which I don't think is actually *justified* - Spaceventure has made a number of interesting updates - but Fedora's have been a lot more noticeable to me.

I thought this was pretty cool.

An audio interview with Rob Paulsen, one of the voice actors they have signed up for the project and who has done the voices in a bunch of cartoons and games, such as Yakko in Animaniacs and Brain in Pink and the Brain. He also did some TMNT (I believe he is the voice of Raphael), Gummi Bears, Morte from Planescape Torment and a shit tonnes of other stuff.

ghostmind

The volume of Project Update emails is getting to be a bit much - 6 in the last 3 days alone (they are up to 21 updates and still have 15 days to go!) I realize that they are excited about the prospect, and want to attract backers and get to their goal, but they are outpacing my Facebook friends.

The volume of Project Update emails is getting to be a bit much - 6 in the last 3 days alone (they are up to 21 updates and still have 15 days to go!) I realize that they are excited about the prospect, and want to attract backers and get to their goal, but they are outpacing my Facebook friends.

Yeah, I agree that 3 update in the matter of hours thing was excessive.

Anyway, crossed the 50% mark.

iFootball

How did I miss this thread !!!... I just read the Gamasutra article...

These games were my favorite games when I was 8yo and so on... great memories...!

I'm IN with the Kickstarter!!!

Top Bottom