• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Guys SpaceVenture Kickstarter by Two Guys From Andromeda [Ended, $539K funded]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought the break up was supposed to have been bitter?
There was an interview where Scott talked about it and he sounded very bitter. Of course he was wrong about Space Quest 5 not being good, so he could have been wrong about the breakup as well. Space Quest 6 did suck though, aside from the narration and the random grave guy from Gabriel Knight showing up.
Yeah, I remember this interview although I can't find it. That's why I was surprised they got back together. Water under the bridge, I suppose?

She struggled because her initial kickstarter pitch was beyond terrible and she was slow to change it.
Eh, for these kickstarters, I feel that name recognition is as important as anything else.
I wonder who even read the entire LSL kickstarter page before just mashing the pledge button.

There was an interview where Scott talked about it and he sounded very bitter. Of course he was wrong about Space Quest 5 not being good, so he could have been wrong about the breakup as well. Space Quest 6 did suck though, aside from the narration and the random grave guy from Gabriel Knight showing up.

The relevant quote from the interview:

Overall, I feel pretty good about how the games came out. When Mark and I started the games we decided that we wanted to make games WE would want to play, and I think we did that for the most part. Would I want to work with Mark again? No, I don't think so. As I learned the hard way, Mark was not a very good partner in the long run. When he decided to go to Sierra's Dynamix division, he didn't have the decency to tell me he was leaving until we were headed to Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show. The only reason he told me then was that I was inevitably going to see him talking with Dynamix management personnel about the move while we were out there. I lost a lot of respect for him, and then lost more when I learned some other things about him a couple of years later from people I am not at liberty to name who made me understand that he had loyalty to only himself. I was really bummed to learn what he was really like, or what he'd become.
When we worked on the games together and did interviews I would compliment him to the media about how great he was at what he could do with a few pixels, that he was the best in the business, but never in my memory did ever say a single good thing about what I did, and I spent a hell of a lot more time on the games than he did, not to mention the VAST majority of the writing. I was very disillusioned with him for that.

They may still hate each other and are only together for that sweet KickStarter money. It sounds like Scott was pretty much broke at the time of the interview.

rozay

Banned
Would be nice if somebody could bring that up with them, those words sort of worry me that they are just in it for the money.

Space Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid so I'd love to back this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
But I thought 'Buckazoid' was a registered and licensed trademark copyright property of the Vivendi Corporation?

I actually think having your voicemail in Gary Owens' voice is worth $5000, someone should jump on that.

Rahul

Would be nice if somebody could bring that up with them, those words sort of worry me that they are just in it for the money.

They aren't. They're in it to make something that they have full control over this time since they were shafted out of Space Quest. Activision holds the rights to the license now and won't sell it to them for less than a ton of buckazoids.

Personally I'm glad they're doing something new. I want to see what else these guys can come up with. Roger Wilco is best left where he's most awesome - in my memories of my childhood.

I'd ask, but I don't really want to risk kicking a hornets nest if it transpires that mark never read that interview...

I heard somewhere (might have been one of the podcasts) that what actually reconciled them was that interview.

Mark read the interview. although a couple of years after it was done, and contacted Scott, saying that he would fly up to where ever Scott was an apologize in person if he was still so angry. I don't think they went into details, but they worked things out.

After reconciling they pretty quickly decided that they wanted to make a new game, and started working on coming up with the concept.

I thought the break up was supposed to have been bitter?

Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it sure heals a lot of them. I imagine spending a decade decompressing from the toxic environment of final-days Sierra helped both of them get a bit more perspective on the details of their falling out and the end of the series.

mclem

Dear Kickstarter,

Thank you.

Signed,
Adventure games

2013 looks like it'll be the best year for adventure games since... um... 1993, maybe? That gave us Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Gabriel Knight, Freddie Pharkas, LSL6, QFG4, SQ5...

Grim Fandango may have been phenomenal, but there wasn't all that much else in 1998 that I recall.

kuroshiki

never played any of those games.

I guess you guys are excited because of nostalgia? Since those 'art' are hardly... how should I say, awesome? Looks like 10 year old's drawing.

epmode

never played any of those games.

I guess you guys are excited because of nostalgia?
Maybe you should try playing them before making silly assumptions. While we get a good modern adventure game every once in a while, very few of them are genuinely funny like the old stuff.

kuroshiki

Maybe you should try playing them before making silly assumptions. While we get a good modern adventure game every once in a while, very few of them are genuinely funny like the old stuff.

How is it silly? Most of console only gamers never heard of them and never played their game before. They are obviously aiming nostalgic fans for funding.

If those two guys make genuinely exciting product, then I will buy their game.

Not gonna run dosbox and enjoy 16 color graphic just because dialogue is funny.

edit: downloaded that chrome app thing... and more confused. WTF is this?

How is it silly? Most of console only gamers never heard of them and never played their game before. They are obviously aiming nostalgic fans for funding.

Simon sat back in his chair, he felt sadness, a deep sadness so deep that not even posting the '-_-' face would help

He was now faced with a powerful ignorance and felt powerless against it, the very notion of polite recourse was sucked into the black-hole like ignorance, with all his usual weapons rendered worthless he could do nothing but sit there and let the sadness slowly consume him.

ZoddGutts

Pretty much. Telltale games have been.... not that great. Sucks that they have King's Quest license now.

StevieP

Banned
How is it? Don't feel like downloading yet another browser.
ZoddGutts said:
Pretty much. Telltale games have been.... not that great. Sucks that they have King's Quest license now.

Eh, considering the amount of staff and the episodic nature of the business model, you've gotta take Telltale games as they are. They do get published, after all.

Rahul

Hey guys! I'm curious to hear what you think of the demo since I helped make it. Feel free to dump your thoughts here and I'll make sure the Two Guys hear about it!

Woooooooo!

epmode

Proves you have bad taste, Sam and Max 3 and Tales of Monkey Island already proves they can make better games then those of the King's Quest series.

But but the King's Quest series was never all that great! Except for 6!

I liked Tales overall and it's probably Telltale's best release but it isn't even close to the first two Monkey Island games.

nexen

edit: downloaded that chrome app thing... and more confused. WTF is this?

SQ4 and SQ5 are VGA. That's 256 colors mang.

They are aiming directly at nostalgic fans, yes. Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy were fabulously talented developers of the late 80s to early 90s and we are hoping that their skillset has remained intact enough to hit another home run.

Space Quest is/was an awesome adventure game series. One of the funniest of all time. It had a very strong hand in shaping the hobby that you now enjoy.

Sam and Max 3 and Tales of Monkey Island already proves they can make better games then those of the King's Quest series.

I agree with this.

Hey guys! I'm curious to hear what you think of the demo since I helped make it. Feel free to dump your thoughts here and I'll make sure the Two Guys hear about it!

Woooooooo!

I can't get to it, there's just a pic with the text to the right of it.

But but the King's Quest series was never all that great! Except for 6!
That's my point, KQ can only become better by been made by TTG.

epmode

I should go back and compare. I never really got into the absolute earliest Sierra games, what with the crazy DON'T FALL OFF THE CLIFF garbage and the text parser* so I guess I don't feel the same about it.

There were significant differences in the QFG1 remake as well. If I remember right, the composition is better in the older version but it still can't beat those 256 colors in the remake.

*which is strange because SQ3 is right up there with my favorites, even today.

nexen

I should go back and compare. I never really got into the absolute earliest Sierra games, what with the crazy DON'T FALL OFF THE CLIFF garbage and the text parser* so I guess I don't feel the same about it.

There were significant differences in the QFG1 remake as well. If I remember right, the composition is better in the older version but it still can't beat those 256 colors in the remake.

*which is strange because SQ3 is right up there with my favorites, even today.

SQ1EGA art style is very similar SQ3, SQ4, and SQ5. Star Wars w/ a slight Star Trek vibe.

ZoddGutts

Proves you have bad taste, Sam and Max 3 and Tales of Monkey Island already proves they can make better games then those of the King's Quest series.

Yet majority of their games aren't that great. Telltale games is too inconsistent with their quality.

Sam and Max 3 and Tales of Monkey Island already proves they can make better games then those of the King's Quest series.

Jurassic Park game also proves that they can make a really shitty game. Back to the Future games being mediocre. Their only recent decent effort is the Walking Dead. So who knows if their King Quest will be good or not.

this had made me want to play space quest again. I see it for sale on the steam store...how would one go about actually running it though once it was downloaded?

Loved SP, SP and KQ were great childhood fun!

Top Bottom