• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Republican senators announce opposition to Education Nominee DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.
lead_960.jpg
Two Republican senators announced on Wednesday they would oppose Betsy DeVos's nomination for education secretary, presenting the first serious threat to one of President Trump's Cabinet picks.

Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska each supported DeVos in a committee vote but said Wednesday afternoon they would vote no when her nomination reaches the Senate floor. Because Republicans have a slim, 52-48 seat majority in the Senate and every Democrat is expected to oppose DeVos, the defection of just one more GOP senator would sink her nomination. As it stands, Vice President Mike Pence would need to cast a tie-breaking vote to put her over the top, exercising a power that his predecessor, Joseph Biden, never once had to use in his eight years in office.

A former chairwoman of the Republican Party in Michigan, DeVos is a longtime donor to conservative candidates and education causes. She is a staunch supporter of expanding charter schools and private-school vouchers, positions that have drawn the aggressive opposition of teachers unions and liberal activists who have lobbied senators against confirming her. In a speech on the Senate floor, Collins cited DeVos's inexperience with public schools and said she was ”troubled and surprised" by the lack of familiarity DeVos displayed during her confirmation hearing with a landmark law guaranteeing education to students with disabilities. Under questioning from Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, DeVos at first said that it should be ”left to the states" whether any school that receives federal funding, including charter and private schools, should have to meet the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. She clarified her position later on, saying she ”may have been confused" about the federal law.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/is-betsy-devos-going-down/515346/

Murkowski:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4654243/sen-murkowski-betsy-devos-nomination
Collins:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4654236/sen-collins-betsy-devos-nomination

CALL YOUR (REPUBLICAN) SENATORS.
Thom Tillis allegedly undecided on DeVos and taking calls.

North Carolina GAF, go for it.

Hopefully those Democrats who have seemingly let through every Trump nomination will actually vote with the freakin party and prevent DeVos from being confirmed

Meowster

Roy Blunt is as big a corporate stooge as they come (he helped design the Trump inauguration and hardly ever even visits Missouri) but I still left him multiple calls to not vote for her. You should call and email the offices of your state Senators and tell them not to. In my case, it's probably hopeless, but trying is better than nothing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know it'd be kind of nice if the entire government wasn't pure antediluvian evil for the next decade.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scientists baffled by sudden development of vertebrae among select organisms of a colony of invertebrates.

Boy, I bet behind close doors McConnell is flipping his shit. Probably making damn sure no one else breaks line, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

RPGCrazied

Won't matter. Sessions will vote, then a new Alabama Senator will vote, and if need be Pence will break a tie breaker.

Jeff Flake is either getting primaried or losing in 2018. Call both him and McCain and hope one of them does the right thing.

Elandyll

Banned
Come on! 1 additional one ! (Or more)

She is completely unqualified, and has conflicts of interest! (Plus her past casts serious doubts as to whether or not she would respect separation of church and state laws, as far as education is concerned).

I understand it makes her a perfect Trumpian candidate, but we're talking about kid's education here. 90% of them no less.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Gee, the exact number of Senators needed to make it a 50-50 vote and let Pence break the tie. Wow, there's just no way this is planned out behind closed doors and this is all public posturing by these Senators to save face for their constituents. Nope, definitely not.

rjinaz

Good. She's totally unqualified and goes completely against the whole "drain the swap" thing.

Err, doesn't pretty much every pick go against the "drain the swamp" thing so far? I assume you haven't liked any of them? Though admittedly this one is particularly bad like you said since she is unqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom