• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Republican senators announce opposition to Education Nominee DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.
*googles Johnny Isakson, reads reviews*

Hahahahahahahahhahaha...
*breathes*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

so what's Sonny Perdue's record like

is it worth calling either of them up and trying to tear their heartstrings apart by telling them about my nurse mother who works at a school for the disabled who they'd surely be screwing over with a confirmation vote for Devos

*googles Johnny Isakson, reads reviews*

Hahahahahahahahhahaha...
*breathes*
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, it's tough fighting this fight being in GA. Our senators are way up Trump's ass.

But I'm doing it anyways and I'll keep doing it, because Isakson and Perdue have a responsibility to hear my voice and I'm going to hold them to it.

Xe4

Banned
Burr already said this was his last term and he took money from DeVos for his campaign.

So 1, he don't give a fuck and 2, he's gonna vote for who funded him.

I mean, if he's not running anymore, there's no reason to vote for who funded him. What are they going to do, not fund him again, lol. Still, point 1 still stands.

Its going to be 50-50 : (

CoryCubed

On a side note, there's an offer on "paid to do offers" sites that has a petition that goes to the Senate Committee and those naysayers in favor of Betsy Devos after you sign up. Before the election there was one for Ben Carson going around for his candidacy. 35 cents for your support!

Blader

Cross-posting from PoliGAF:

According to Facebook/Twitter, Thom Tillis may be undecided on DeVos. If you live in/or from North Carolina, call him here:

(919) 856-4630
(202) 224-6342

Gruco

Banned
Cross-posting from PoliGAF:

According to Facebook/Twitter, Thom Tillis may be undecided on DeVos. If you live in/or from North Carolina, call him here:

(919) 856-4630
(202) 224-6342
To add to this, also spread the word to your North Carolina friends to do the same. With Murkowski and Collins out, this is enough to sink the nom.

Why DeVos and why not Ben Carson?
Because the Democrats know that the worst that can happen with Carson in charge of HUD is that he may put the entire department into a Rip van Winkle-like endless slumber if he's asked to address the agency. It's a risk that they're willing to take.

Nothing positive was going to happen ever at HUD with Trump and the GOP in charge, regardless of who got confirmed. If the national education system were to be broken down in the next four years however, there's a possibility that it could never be put back together again.

What about Flake from Arizona? He was one of the louder opposers to the immigration EO. So he might not necessarily toe the line.

RPGCrazied

What about Flake from Arizona? He was one of the louder opposers to the immigration EO. So he might not necessarily toe the line.

Jeff Flake ‏@JeffFlake 27m27 minutes ago

Lest there be any doubt about how I'm voting on @BetsyDeVos she had me at "school choice" years ago...

I mean, if he's not running anymore, there's no reason to vote for who funded him. What are they going to do, not fund him again, lol. Still, point 1 still stands.

Its going to be 50-50 : (

It's a shame Deborah Ross lost. She would have been a good Senator but she didn't have the charisma to boost herself over the decreased Democratic turnout. I can't wait for Jeff Jackson to tear Thom Thillis a new one in 2020. That's one seat I'd put money on the Democrats picking up.

LiK

For fuck's sake, we need one more vote. Just look at her damn background. This isn't rocket science. Fuck these spineless cowards.

You have a billionaire charter-school backer saying to vote no:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-1040pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.4f70c29d6533
Eli Broad, a billionaire philanthropist from California and major backer of charter schools, is urging senators to oppose the nomination of Betsy DeVos as education secretary, saying that she is unqualified for the job.

“At the risk of stating the obvious, we must have a Secretary of Education who believes in public education and the need to keep public schools public,” Broad wrote in a letter Wednesday to Sens. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).

“With Betsy DeVos at the helm of the U.S. Department of Education, much of the good work that has been accomplished to improve public education for all of America’s children could be undone.”

Joei

On the bright side she said she plans to do away with Common Core. Of course after defunding public schools of all taxpayer money and going "see! I saved so much money!!" it's not going to matter.

I have to say it. Fuck these politicians. Do they not having children??? Does having a fucking R next to your name more important than your family??

What is wrong with humanity for Christ sake. People don't give a shit about humanity and families. It's all about the R or the D for them and they don't care who gets screwed over.

mike6467

I have to say it. Fuck these politicians. Do they not having children??? Does having a fucking R next to your name more important than your family??

What is wrong with humanity for Christ sake. People don't give a shit about humanity and families. It's all about the R or the D for them and they don't care who gets screwed over.

Their children will never see a public institution.

Linkura

Rob Portman (OH) said he's voting for her, because fuck you, got mine.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that one of the linked articles shows this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom