• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Republican senators announce opposition to Education Nominee DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the effort, but even if her nomination is blocked, Trump will nominate someone as bad or worse.

Well if it's someone even worse, wouldn't you think the same people already voting no on her are also gonna vote no on them? Right now we actually have some REPUBLICANS getting a spine for once

Lifeline

I bet they'll vote Yes if there's an actual threat, it said they approved her in the committee already, so all of this probably just to say "they were against it" during the midterms.

Blader

I bet they'll vote Yes if there's an actual threat, it said they approved her in the committee already, so all of this probably just to say "they were against it" during the midterms.
The two republican senators who are voting against her has also voted to move her out of committee.

gogosox82

Why do I have this suspicion that at least 1 or more dems are going to vote for her after hearing this? Why else would they leak this unless they were sure their votes wouldn't matter and she'd be confirmed regardless.

Well if it's someone even worse, wouldn't you think the same people already voting no on her are also gonna vote no on them? Right now we actually have some REPUBLICANS getting a spine for once

I'll believe it when they put their votes where their mouth is. The whole party's mantra is "Fall in line, stop asking questions".

I called both my reps and managed to get through to aides. If you're in Missouri, now is the time to call Claire McCaskill and Roy Blunt.

Lifeline

The two republican senators who are voting against her has also voted to move her out of committee.

The article says otherwise

Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska each supported DeVos in a committee vote but said Wednesday afternoon they would vote no when her nomination reaches the Senate floor.

Xe4

Banned
Reality is pretty horrific right now. I don't see every democrat voting correctly.
Theres no way someone is going to get republicans on board but not all the democrats. Seriously, I know a lot of people don't like the democratic opposition recently but that line of thinking is delusional.

To confirm ia to move out of comitte. Both of you and the article are saying the same thing.

Um no it doesn't? He says they voted for her in the comittee which your quote also says they did.

Also the fact that they both supported her in the committee which would've been the easiest place to stop her. Shows that their opposition is only to save face for their electorate. Whom I hope doesn't fall for it.

Theres no way someone is going to get republicans on board but not all the democrats. Seriously, I know a lot of people don't like the democratic opposition recently but that line of thinking is delusional.

Delusional? Really? After everything in the last 2 weeks? Cut him some slack.

To confirm ia to move out of comitte. Both of you and the article are saying the same thing.

Delusional would be if what I think is going to happen were NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

A democratic politician playing for self and fucking this up is not delusional nor even unreasonable.

I called both my reps and managed to get through to aides. If you're in Missouri, now is the time to call Claire McCaskill and Roy Blunt.

McCaskill already said she's voting no and Blunt is Trump's servant at this point so he's voting yes

Really up to Jeff Flake, Shelley Moore-Capito, or Rob Portman at this point

edit: Moore-Capito is on record as a "yes." Just Flake and Portman then

Xe4

Banned
Um no it doesn't? He says they voted for her in the comittee which your quote also says they did.

Also the fact that they both supported her in the committee which would've been the easiest place to stop her. Shows that their opposition is only to save face for their electorate. Whom I hope doesn't fall for it.
This is true. It's fine to be one of the two, but I doubt there's going to be a third. Republicans voting against this are covering their behinds, but want her.

Delusional would be if what I think is going to happen were NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

A democratic politician playing for self and fucking this up is not delusional nor even unreasonable.
The furthest right democrat is still far to the left of the furthest left republican. They ain't going to vote to confirm and that you even think that is rediculous.

The only way democrats are going to vote to confirm is if the two republicans vote yes first, then they're just saving face. But they're not going to sabotage their own parties vote on something like this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For Colorado, Cory Gardner unsurprisingly has already given strong support for her, and Michael Bennett has promised to block her.

Is there any reason to contact either of them over this?

This is true. It's fine to be one of the two, but I doubt there's going to be a third. Republicans voting against this are covering their behinds, but want her.

Oh there absolutely won't be a 3rd. Most likely this was approved by McConnell backdoors, which is why exactly 2 were allowed to break off.

GOP support for her is really what is killing me. She is patently unqualified to head the country's education system.

Oh well, I hope this sham of a confirmation will be remembered when our education system continues to tank. The fact that the VP will need to be a tiebreaker is absurd- it shows how bad DeVos is for this position.

Called Senator Jeff Flake in AZ. Mailbox is full. Hopefully with comments about voting no on Betsy DeVos. I'm unsure what to do now to try to reach out to Jeff Flake.

boiled goose

good with gravy
She needs to be blocked.

She has blatantly admitted to bribing politicians for corporate interests. She is just trying to cut the middle man now.

Call your senators now. Tell them they will pay the price if they confirm.

Like others have said, this is probably a re-election ploy. They have the 50 they need.

Then Flake should have been one of the two that voted no.

Murkowski just won reelection last year and isn't up to 2022 (at which point no one will care about this). Collins isn't up until 2020 (and no one will care about this then either), though maybe she runs for Governor in 2018.

Ac30

Then Flake should have been one of the two that voted no.

Murkowski just won reelection last year and isn't up to 2022 (at which point no one will care about this). Collins isn't up until 2020 (and no one will care about this then either), though maybe she runs for Governor in 2018.

Well then, derp. I just have trouble believing they'd find them unqualified enough that they don't want to vote for them but let them pass the committee anyways. What's the point of the screening then?

Well then, derp. I just have trouble believing they'd find them unqualified enough that they don't want to vote for them but let them pass the committee anyways. What's the point of the screening then?

For some reason, some politicians like to vote for stuff to get out of committee to get a vote with the full Senate. It's not uncommon.

I guess it's like "I don't approve of X, but I will not stop the entire Senate from voting for X if that's what they want."

With Flake out, is there anyone else that's even a remotely plausible pickup?

(I mean, everyone keep calling either way, but I'm just wondering if there's any light left at the end of this tunnel)

Zubz

Banned
Toomey's absolutely unreachable by conventional means (His office even turns constituents away; he is abysmal), but I'm heartened that each of his Facebook page's human interest posts are flooded with people demanding he vote against DeVos.

The coward's in the Koch Bros. pocket, though. I doubt he'll represent anyone that doesn't bankroll him.

Glix

That is his reasoning? Wow.

It drives me crazy. Dont these people understand nuance?

Sure, support school choice all you want, but this womans ideas are radical and dangerous. That doesnt matter because she passes your "school choice litmus test"?

I hate this shit

It drives me crazy. Dont these people understand nuance?

Sure, support school choice all you want, but this womans ideas are radical and dangerous. That doesnt matter because she passes your "school choice litmus test"?

I hate this shit

Their kids go to private schools so why would they care?

The Llama

Toomey's absolutely unreachable by conventional means (His office even turns constituents away; he is abysmal), but I'm heartened that each of his Facebook page's human interest posts are flooded with people demanding he vote against DeVos.

The coward's in the Koch Bros. pocket, though. I doubt he'll represent anyone that doesn't bankroll him.

Said an hour ago he'd vote for her. My hatred of him is matched only by my hatred of Trump himself tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom