• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two years later, how do you feel about Smash 4?

entremet

mario-sonic-pac-man-mega-man.jpg

I've been playing Melee of late, just to revisit it since the game was so huge in the Gamecube's heyday.

While I appreciated the scale of the sequel, I enjoyed 64 more. Later came Brawl which is the redheaded stepchild of the series. I enjoyed Brawl and the preview spectacle was something else. But I played it much less than Melee by far. Tripping was unforgiveable and fans gave Sakurai a lot deserved flack for that. I do miss Snake and Wolf, however.

Then came Smash 4. It was the first portable iteration. It was promised to be biggest Smash ever. I got both versions and I still play them today. I prefer it over Melee as I find it to be the perfect speed. It exceeded my expectations after the Brawl fiasco and I can see myself playing the game for many years. The DLC characters were also fantastic.

It didn't do everything right. The single player content is rather weak. 8 player Smash is more of a novelty as it's very hard to keep track of the action. And I do wish it had more original music.

Smash for Switch is highly likely since Smash is a Tier 1 Nintendo franchise with Mario and Pokemon these days. I'm guessing it will be 40 bucks (LOL) with all the DLC added and possible Ice Climbers.

While I agree Melee is more interesting to watch from an eSports angle, these days I just prefer playing Smash 4.

You did good, Sakurai. Your redemption tour is complete.

Two years later, how do you feel about Smash 4?

Blizzard

Banned
I miss Snake, but I love most other things about it. I prefer it over Brawl or Melee, and especially like that they got rid of tripping.

Besides Snake, the sheer volume and love shown for the various characters makes it a really neat package.

MAtgS

3DS version deserves more love, I for one still play it pretty frequently (only got a few characters left to clear All-Star with).

jblank83

One of the best Nintendo games ever.
One of the best fighting games ever.
One of the best multiplayer games ever.

I loved it.

Heyt

Banned
It's the best Smash gameplay wise. Content is great if you count both versions together but a bit subpar on their own.

The Fire Emblem Characters got out of hand and having clones is something I could do without but the roster was excellent.

The king of Smash, seriously though, should they even make another one? Sakurai is exhausted and I don't even know where they could go from here.

Boney

Banned
Diddy and shiek were nuts

Oh and Bayo

How does that happen

They ended up doing a good job with the balance patches but it's still frustrating to see other characters not getting a few boons.

Platy

Fuck Snake.

Smash 4 is the best in the series, with the most perfect selection of characters.

I miss a tetrimino character and/or a Tetris stage, some reference to Nintendo's past with hotels and a physical toy reference character to be absolutely perfect

The king of Smash, seriously though, should they even make another one? Sakurai is exhausted and I don't even know where they could go from here.

They're probably going to port over Smash 4 to Switch (as rumored by Serkan Toto and Emily Rogers) and add on to it like what they're seemingly doing with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.

I predict the return of the Ice Climbers and the inclusion of the Inklings (EAD's new hottest property) but I'm not sure what else could happen. I hope Sakurai blows us all away like he did with Cloud.

KingBroly

Banned
- Smash Tour sucks
- Too many FE characters
- Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario should be costumes like Alph
- No Offline Tourney

Other than that it's awesome

My only gripe is the 3DS holding the game back and splitting the content back. Hopefully the rumored remaster brings all the content back together.

entremet

- Smash Tour sucks
- Too many FE characters
- No Offline Tourney

I still can't believe they didn't patch that in. Especially given the eSports push it got.

Maybe they're saving that for Smash for Switch?

PsionBolt

It's an absolutely fantastic game, and the best in the series by a decently wide margin.

Anyone who doesn't value portables more highly than consoles doesn't have a strong enough appreciation of Smash 3DS.

...Please make Mega Man not garbage in the next game, Sakurai...

I liked it but thought they went over the top with the RNG and Skinner box tactics for unlockables. I felt cheated most of the time trying to do all the challenges and unlocking moves.

Daouzin

As some that still plays in Melee tournaments from time to time. I can't help, but feel disappointment.

However, I do think Smash 4 is an incredible game. The polish, the cast and the uniqueness of so many characters is so cool. Sadly all I want is a PM version of it because I want to be able to do cool stuff with Cloud, Bayonetta, Megaman etc.

The game appears to be very match up dependent vs engine dependent because the game is missing a lot of technical aspects that Melee features.

TL;DR - Great game, but because it isn't using the Melee engine it's a disappointment to me, personally. I haven't even downloaded some DLC characters because I just don't play it that often anymore. I still play it every few months though around my circle of friends that never got into Melee/PM.

RomanceDawn

I still play the Wii U version today and I absolutely adore it. I would so happily take an enhanced version of this for the next 5-6 years before the next true installment, this game is just that good for me.

I'm so glad that I can pick DK, Bowser and even Charizard and still feel like I have a decent shot at winning against any character.

Boney

Banned
- Smash Tour sucks
- Too many FE characters
- No Offline Tourney

Alph should've been a clone.

Does the CSS having 3 more characters is worse than the benefit of tweaked characters?

What? Mega Man's really good. Kamemushi (a Japanese player) made it to 2nd place at this year's EVO.

I think you might just need to get better.

Best smash bros but I still hate littlemac. He shouldnt have that super armore shit

With the way he's currently designed, if he didn't have all that super armor he'd be the worst in the game lol.

Betty

Banned
Didn't play it as much as the others for some reason.

Hoping it get's re-released on Switch and has better online components.

Objectively it's probably the best in the series.

I just miss that Lylat Ship level.

Haganeren

... Megaman is not garbage.

I loved 64, i liked Melee on its time but prefered the more slow and aerial Brawl at the time but it had huge default like tripping.

With Smash 4, it seems like it's the perfect Smash game with even a very good online... In fact i don't really know what could be done for it to be better.... Certainly not having wavedash, that's for sure !

kunonabi

It's the best Smash game so far but the lack of Simon Belmont, poor implementation of custom moves, and the godawful single-player/content unlocks prevent it from being truly great in my eyes. These are fairly easy fixes so hopefully the next Smash gets it right.

LordKano

The greatest fighting game I've ever played. So much content, so much characters, the effort put in this game is mindblowing.

I honestly don't really feel like waiting for an hypothetical Smash Bros 5. This one does it all.

I know we all ragged on SSE, but I feel like Smash 4 was really missing stuff on the single player side. I loved the game when I had a lot of roommates to play with, but once they left I basically never went back. Stages also seemed to be largely forgettable for the most part. Overall the most fun part was the waiting as always, but it still holds up quite well.

Oh, also the music was wayyy worse than Brawl.

SoulUnison

Banned
Sonic still has a redundant Side and Down Special.
Also, I miss Snake.
...Bayonetta, tho.

As 11/10 as the multiplayer package is, there's basically NO worthwhile single player content. At all.

The best of the 4. And I still have high hopes for old characters returning in the switch port. I want all the gang back.

Also screw the haters I loved SSE, Smash 4 should of had a story mode.

Menitta

It's really good, and no fighting game roster could possibly compete with this one's. Whenever someone asks me if I want to play Smash, I'll always say yes.

I've dropped playing online or by myself though. My main problem with Smash 4's online is that there's no 1v1 casual mode. I don't like playing fighting games in ranked (or For Glory in this case). So when the online mode I want to play has no option for that, I'm running the gamble of running into someone who takes it super seriously or not. I wish there was a For Fun 1v1.

The biggest disappointment of 2014 when it comes to singleplayer content though. Subspace is the greatest Nintendo story ever and having next to nothing in Smash 4 was a bummer.

If only Sakurai watched the tournaments and put in some of the tournament level glitches officially into the next game. That's what makes Melee exciting and still around. Smash 4 is just too bloody slow to watch and feel excited.

Hikami

I only cared for the Fire Emblem characters and they made the best one a clone :I

Happy to see how much representation the series got though.

Boney

Banned
Oh right custom moves. Why did they bother with that. Seems they gave up after 3 characters and just said, just make them tedious to get and sweep it under the rug

Zomba13

All the thumbs up. Extra thumbs up for getting fucking Cloud of all characters. Extra thumbs up for Bayonetta because I never thought something like that would ever happen and thought all the people saying "Bayo for smash!" were insane dreamers up there with the Geno fans (and even they got some recognition in the mii suit!).

Such a fun smash and felt much better than Brawl. Biggest issue would be the version specific modes weren't that great and you could tell a bunch of effort went into them.

Maybe the Switch version will add Goku?

EDIT: Oh wow, yeah, custom moves. Completely forgot about them outside of the Mii Fighters (which are great and so fun and it's terrible you can't use them online and only in tournament rooms which no one ever uses any more. They were just so annoying to unlock.

Patches were pretty sweet. It was cool seeing the most broken things reeled in, and the chronically-buffed characters gradually becoming good.
i enjoyed a lot of the random single-player stuff and i still play for-glory regularly, though I do wish there were an interpretation of adventure mode or subspace.
i don't really like the "reset to neutral a billion times" balancing. it feels like a lot of cool combos happen in spite of the game engine, not because of it.
I understand why they changed ledges but I still miss real edgeguards sometimes.

i still like melee's core gameplay better but I play smash 4 a ton and i'm satisfied with the purchase.

let me help you with that:

Kamemushi (mega man) vs zero (diddy)

the pellets feel weird as hell after a lifetime of characters with normal melee attacks on the A button but mega man can utterly destroy people.

Unpopular opinion but I thought Project M did more things right than 4 did, competitively and casually. My friends and I enjoyed stamina type 3 without blast zones far more than any Smash Tour run.

NoKisum

3DS: Needed online Smash Run and more mini-games
Wii U: Needed proper Adventure mode or Subspace 2 (or at least Smash Run HD with split screen support and online play), offline tournament mode, and more mini-games

Otherwise, it's been great. Smash 4 is, mechanically, my all-time favorite of the series and it's been a blast.

Top Bottom