• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two years later, how do you feel about Smash 4?

As someone who grew up on the series and has loved every single entry, I really do believe that Smash 4 is the best entry, hands-down. So many great characters, the balance is good, the gameplay is accessible yet deep. I love that there is a handheld version, online play is finally functional. It's fantastic.

kewlmyc

Best in the series and the best roster of a fighting game ever. Mario, Sonic, Pac-man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Megaman all in one game together? Holy crap, can't be topped.

The competive scene is also starting to become interesting to watch. It's not just Diddy/Sheik/ZSS anymore in the high ranks (though there is still a lot of that right now).

Best in the series hands down. I've played since 64 and Smash 4 is the most satisfying to play, along with having the most (and best balanced) characters.

Good thing Switch is getting Smash 4 + new content, because with how good the base mechanics are, that's all I could really want from Smash. Especially with how crazy well-balanced the cast of the game is.

Can't wait for Super Smash Bros. Switch to be the game Smash Wii U should have been without the limits of the 3DS holding it back (do not try to tell me this is untrue because that argument has no leg to stand on).

SalvaPot

It's an absolutely fantastic game, and the best in the series by a decently wide margin.

Anyone who doesn't value portables more highly than consoles doesn't have a strong enough appreciation of Smash 3DS.

...Please make Mega Man not garbage in the next game, Sakurai...

Here is a Mega Man player beating the best Smash 4 player in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2imUOkJQ3o

Now tell me again Mega Man is garbage.

The game is getting better and better in the competitive scene. A port for Switch with better servers and a ladder would be amazing.

I see 4 as Brawl 2 with the competitive feedback. People say Sakurai doesn't care about the 1x1 game, but patches say otherwise.

I just think he always wanted a balance between both camps and Brawl tilted too much toward the casual side.
I know it won't happen, but I'd love for air/spot dodging to be removed, tighter movement (dash dancing, less sliding), and more hit stun. And for better online functionality (partying up with a friend online then searching for two randoms with the settings you like (TA on, 2 stocks)).

Maybe in the next game.

Smash 4 is the most magical game and my favorite game of all time. It was the first game to ever reach 300 hours of play time, then 400, 500, and eventually 600 hours! Now sitting at 637 hours it has been one hell of a experience.

From starting from the beginning with old mains like Toon Link and Mr G&W and getting into new characters like Robin and Duck Hunt, to having new characters to play via DLC throughout the year, to even starting to main characters like Jigglypuff, Rosalina, Mario, and Ganondorf several months later, Mario even after the last DLC characters who I could never get into its been quite the experience that keeps on giving.

I expect the "Smash 4 port" rumored next year to essentially be Smash 5 with around 8-15 new characters, so I'm pretty hyped for it! If that does infact be confirmed true at the true reveal of the Switch I'll plan on quitting Smash 4 on March 3rd and give myself a little break before Smash 5. Even more new characters is so exciting!

But regardless, Smash 4 has been the best and most fun experience of my life. Heres a little breakdown of my play time. In October 2014 I was in a bad place with no internet, but from November on all of my playtime was pretty much 100% online with over 9,000 1VS1 For Glory Matches!

Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS)
10/03/14 - Present
October 2014: 100:25 (Single Player) - No Internet :(
November 2014: 54:51 (INTERNET!!!!)
December 2014: 8:09
January 2015: 14:23
February 2015: 9:38
March 2015: 11:52
April 2015: 32:20 (Mewtwo!)
May 2015: 15:00
June 2015: 21:11 (Lucas!! Roy!!! Ryu!!!!) (Splatoon Launch)
July 2015: 22:22 (No internet from 1st-20th)
August 2015: 43:22 (Splatoon August Update)
September 2015: 31:11
October 2015: 35:24
November 2015: 22:38 (Tri Force Heroes Launch/100%) (Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate!)
December 2015: 35:25 (No internet from 3rd-24th) (Cloud!!!!!)
January 2016: 30:24
February 2016: 49:52 (Corrin!!!!!!) (Bayonetta!!!!!!!)
March 2016: 28:57
April 2016: 13:05 (Pokken Tournament!)
May 2016: 14:01
June 2016: 14:27
July 2016: 7:58 (Monster Hunter Generations!)
August 2016: 3:48 (Paragon!)
September 2016: 10:19

Beein winding down alot, but had a upswing last month and this month. If I do quit in March for Smash 5/newer online games then I don't think I'll reach 700 hours, but thats okay. Been a hell of an experience and I'm so glad to have enjoyed this game!!!! :)

JaseMath

My favorite of the series, but I would love it 10x more if there was something like Subspace Emissary and my online experience wasn't so bad. SO. MUCH. LAG.

I had both versions at one point, but the 3DS was the only one I played regularly at all. I just didn't like the single player modes in the Wii U version much at all.

I think I'm going to just sell my 3DS copy and wait for the inevitable Switch version of the game. I only bought 1 DLC character (Cloud) and I've barely used him, so I didn't lose too much money on the DLC. I haven't played the game in over a year I think.

I'm hoping that the Switch version (assuming it's coming out, which I think is pretty known at this point) has the classic mode from the 3DS version and the Event mode from the Wii U version. That would make it just about perfect IMO, plus you could play it on the go AND at home and use those Joy-con controllers which would make multiplayer easier.

SeanR1221

Awesome base game. The roster and stages are great and the amount of stuff to do is staggering. I just sold my Wii U yesterday and this was the only game that made me hesitate...I'll definitely miss it.

But the online. YUCK. Constantly laggy and 99% of my free play games involved the other characters literally standing there and not attacking you unless you attacked them. It was mind numbing.

Choomp

Banned
Oh, it's so amazing. The list of playable characters is kind of out of this world, the mechanics are serviceable and can get intricate when you play for long enough. This game has given me enough late nights playing with friends and provided enough memories for it to go on my top 10 faves

robot

Best in the series - my friends and I still play it. Really nothing I can complain about. So many amazing moments.

I really need to go through the photo's I've taken at insane times.

ASIS

It's my favorite and most played Smash by far. It's up there with Pikmin 3 as the best Wii U game and easily one of the best Nintendo games ever created. Miles ahead of Brawl and 64, and yes, I also think it is better than melee. Should be noted that I don't play competitively whatsoever.

Dizzy

Banned
Like you op, I find it the best balance in terms of gameplay. I loved 64, so melee felt a bit fast but the characters felt weaker. Smash 4 seems to be a nice inbetween.

I own it on 3DS and Wii U but I'd say this game has the weakest stages of the series. On 3DS they all feel a bit small, on Wii U they feel a bit big and uninspired. Theres a lot of recycled stages too.

Minnow

I actively play smash 4 competitively so I guess I should like it lol.
Patches being added to a smash game definitely made it stressful for me, but overall, the game has definitely been more than I ever could have hoped from it.
and I've made a lot of money too :3

rhandino

Banned
My 3rd most played Wii game behind Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors (Yeah, I love to grind in Musou games =P) Game is incredible and tons of funs when playing with my brothers =3

Brqan

I actively play smash 4 competitively so I guess I should like it lol.
Patches being added to a smash game definitely made it stressful for me, but overall, the game has definitely been more than I ever could have hoped from it.
and I've made a lot of money too :3
Who do you main?

PetrCobra

I'm a very casual Smash player. Never played the original, Melee was my first GC game and I loved it. Played a ton of it... alone. It had a great single player. I liked Brawl, but after I finished the story mode I was basically done with it outside of a bit of target breaking. Smash 4 is great. I never bought any DLC but I managed to play some online matches and there were two small tournaments in the city where I live, one for 3DS and one for the Wii U version. So that was good. Otherwise, not much more to report. But I like the series and if there's another version, I'm sure I'll buy it just because of the fond memories I have for Melee.

Neoxon

It's easily the 2nd best Smash game in the franchise, behind only Melee.
  • The gameplay is pretty solid, though not as fun to watch as Melee (hence why I put it in 2nd)
  • The roster is fantastic, barring a few omissions (which I feel like will be rectified with the Switch port)
  • Everything just feels polished overall, with a few exceptions (Ex: The lack of Palutena's Guidances or custom moves for the DLC characters)
While I do miss a dedicated story mode, I see it as a necessary loss for this massive roster. And concerning the competitive scene, it's actually developing into something that's pretty hype. Hopefully the Switch port rectifies at least a few of my gripes with the game. And while I don't expect every veteran to return in the Switch port, at least the return of the Ice Climbers & Wolf would be nice (alongside some newcomers like Inkling & whoever was the cut Rhythm Heaven rep). It'd also be nice if they let the Star Fox voice actors take a 2nd stab at voicing their respective characters.

I fucking love it. I play it every single day and I even went to EVO 2016 to compete in it. Can’t get enough of the game. I'm thoroughly excited for the Switch port because of the potential stuff they can add to the game!

Love:

-Roster
-Music (love being able to adjust music right before picking a stage)
-Gameplay
-Balance
-Polish and extras
-5/6/7/8 player Smash
-Controller compatibility (Gamecube controller support!)
-Presentation (Graphics, sounds and UI)
-Love and Care
-Competitive Scene
-Omega Mode (always wanted this feature since Melee)
-Leaks (ESRB!)

Not bad:

-Stages (Smash 4 Final Destination is my favorite stage of all time, but I felt like Melee, Brawl and even the 3DS version had a better overall selection of stages)
-Amiibo

Could be improved:

-Single-player modes
-Video uploading
-Online (2 player “with friends” doesn’t let you play against randoms online)
-Tourney Mode
-Stage Builder

Bad:

-Fox’s VA
-3DS limitations (love that there are two versions of the game but hate that the 3DS held the Wii U version back)

3DS version deserves more love, I for one still play it pretty frequently (only got a few characters left to clear All-Star with).

I love the 3ds ver. Best mother stage.

I wish there was more dlc. Particularly stage dlc. On any case, best smash.

Duderino

Of the Smash games it strays the least from a traditional fighting game. Contributing factors to that are the de-emphisized ledge play, conatrained mobility, more predefined feeling combo sequences, greater emphasis on the fighter archetypes, and the less physics driven gameplay.

Smash 4 is a great fighting game in my mind and I'd say the team absolutely delivered on what they set out to do, but I'd like to see the next installment re-explore the more freestyle nature of the first two games. It's been long enough that going back to the series roots would feel fresh again. Certainly would be more interesting than a Mario kart 7 to 8 kind of iteration.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Smash 4 is the best Smash game as a party game. But the single player is the weakest since 64 (new classic mode sucks, event matches were forgettable, the Master/Crazy Orders are the best modes), and on the competitive/esports side it falls short of Melee, but is at least a big step up from the mess that was Brawl.

My experience playing online was really poor but maybe it got better a while after release. Extremely laggy to the point of being basically unplayable.

fhqwhgads

It's a solid game but it doesn't match up to Melee or Brawl. Online is mediocre, worse stage selection, downgraded solo modes and the biggest crime of all, making King Dedede and Mr Game and Watch terrible.

I still stand by the ranking of Brawl > Melee > Smash Wii U > Smash 64 > Smash 3DS

w0s

Same as all the rest. Thought I would be interested. Get it. Can't find the desire to play more than two matches in a row. Wish I got it. I would think it would be great for me. Be it the nostalgia or the replay ability but in the end I find it boring as hell.

Devil

It's probably the best all-around game.

Great general gameplay, a good competitive game, fantastic roster, online works.

Awful SP and modes in general, too much stuff with each having too little depth, online options are the bare minimum and hardly acceptable.

I still prefer Melee for it's unique feel, the competitive possibilities and the superior SP modes. Both are great games though.

LegendX48

From a gameplay standpoint - best in series

From a content standpoint - incredibly underwhelming and shallow in spite of there being dozens of actual options. The absence of some type of single player mode like Melee's adventure or Brawl's Subspace was very noticeable.

edit: There was an overall feeling that was just lacking with Smash 4 now that I think about it. Thinking back to Brawl, everything about that game was hype as fuck. Even the Option's menu was hype as fuck. With Smash 4, everything is just kinda "meh, whatever," feeling. Then you include Smash 4's OST and how the new renditions of all the series music (Battlefield, FD, etc) are the absolute worst versions of those songs ever conceived! They are so unbelievably crummy that making sure that they absolutely never, ever play was an absolute priority when I got the Wii U version.

Fantastic game. Great gameplay, and cast. One of the best Wii u games for sure. Its a shame they they didn't allow custom moves and mii fighters against randoms..

I'm hoping we get more switch content but for all 3 platforms. DLC like Snake, IC, Wolf, and Inklings would be amazing. Also hoping for more parts for stage builder, customs for dlc characters, and allowing miis, custom moves, and more stage,variety in FG. Also another single player mode would be nice.

Love the character roster, it still doesn't feel as fluid as Melee but that's okay, the game seemed pretty fun. Single player options were either lacking or just kinda tedious. Online was okay but I kept running into laggy matches sadly. I would have enjoyed it more if I still enjoyed Smash a lot but I don't really play them anymore.

Easily the best Smash has been, and makes the previous games irrelevant.

Wish Ice Climbers were in though, and that the Wii U version had a better stage lineup (way too many gimmicky stages).

Moaradin

It's great but I wish the online is better. I stopped playing it because I couldn't properly play with my friend online with a group of randoms without setting up private matches. It desperately needed better matchmaking options. Hopefully they do something about that in the Switch version.

I was pleasantly surprised after Brawl, looks great, plays great, and sounds great. Looking forward to what they'll do with the Switch version.

I only have two complaints.

Sometimes I feel like the veterans, or some of them, are less grandiose/less powerful compared to the newcomers.

And I want more options online, I want to play with my friend against randoms, sort of like in MK8.

Edit: And there was no new F-Zero stage, fuck that noise.

The game is awesome and the roster will never be topped ever. I mean who would have thought that Mario, sonic, mega man, pac man, cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta would be in a game fighting each other? I mean come on, that's insanity!!

Top Bottom