• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two years later, how do you feel about Smash 4?

Jawmuncher

An incredible game. But for single player, it's really anemic and is completely dependent on your own collectathon motivation. That's where it fails for me, but with friends? It's the King

That's a good point. Had I been subjected to playing it as a purely SP game. I wouldn't have even put 5 hours into it.

Spinluck

All the characters look like toys in a bland Pixar aesthetic

I would say the exact opposite.

The characters look great, and the game has a fantastic aesthetic. Otherwise, you'd have styles across all of these different games and franchises clashing with each other. It's far from bland.

KingBroly

Banned
Left out hazard toggles to spite the competitive scene

The competitive scene still wouldn't have gone for stages without hazard toggle. Hell, they almost banned Final Destination. The Omega Stages were supposed to be for competitive events, but no one uses em.

GamerJM

Banned
As someone involved in the competitive scene for Melee to a certain extent (though I'm a scrub), it's an awesome game judged on its own merits but I have little desire to revisit it again. In terms of characters, presentation, stages, single-player content, etc., it's pretty unrivaled in terms of fan service. There's also a lot to do here. If I were a kid when it came out I think it would have kept me busy with FFAs for friends and single-player for a ridiculous amount of time.

But I've had my fill of FFAs/single-player content after having grown up with the first three games and spending all the time I needed to with that. As a competitive game it's alright, very rooted in fundamentals and the neutral, but its limited movement mechanics just make the game less satisfying to play than Melee. And the fact that it has less hitstun really makes the combo game a lot less interesting as well. Also none of the characters "click," for me like Marth does in Melee.

by far the best entry in the series. although i havent played the 3ds version once since buying the wii u copy, i still play the game very frequently, with roommates and friends.

can't see myself stopping for a long time. incredible roster (still can't get over shulk being in smash 4)

Dr.Hadji

Best Smash.
The race to the top (SS) tier arms race that Melee Fox demanded trashes half of an entire cast and turned Project M into Project Marvel. Taking a step back and developing a design space where many more character archetypes can exist and be relatively competitive is a much greater takeaway for me.

woodland

From a fandom perspective? A+ work realizing characters.

From a gameplay perspective? It was never that impressive to begin with and my copies been sitting in a bargain bin at Gamestop since Pokken came out. Can't even stand to watch it, just turn the screen off when it comes on at a tourney. If a new one came that didn't regress in stupid ways, 80% of the player base would move on.

It's super floaty, hate no momentum conservation, characters feel slow and like hits do nothing. Would rather play 64, Melee, or PM.

Still dislike it and how idolized Sakurai is.

This too.

The only thing that's worries me is what happens when Smash 5 comes out (I consider Smash 3DS and Wii U as 4), what happens to the DLC characters.

Are the Nintendo own characters back on the roster normally?
Is Ruy and Cloud gone?
Mewtwo?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
2nd best Smash game.

I've resigned to the fact that Nintendo will never make a Smash Bros as good as Melee ever again.

EulaCapra

The game is just brimming with content that it makes me exhausted. And I'm sure that when they reveal Smash 4 Remastered for Switch with all 3DS/Wii U stages, shared modes, more music, fixed the awful menus and mode placement, and more characters like Ice Climbers and Dixie Kong that should've been there in the first place, it will be perfect-er.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I still think Melee is the best Smash but not by much, Smash 4 is right behind it and a really nice alternative.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Let's see, it:

-Boasts a massive 50+ character roster
-Has a thriving competitive scene
-Functional online play
-You can make Cloud fight Ryu who can also fight Pacman in the same game
-Fun as heck
-Phenomenal fanart

Smash 4 lived up to the hype and then some

Granted, I haven't tried since near-launch, but I never saw the bolded. Lag when I played was so bad that spamming wide ranging moves was an unbeatable strategy because they simply couldn't be punished.

Maybe it got better or all the people with terrible connections quit playing.

Neoxon

The only thing that's worries me is what happens when Smash 5 comes out (I consider Smash 3DS and Wii U as 4), what happens to the DLC characters.

Are the Nintendo own characters back on the roster normally?
Is Ruy and Cloud gone?
Mewtwo?
Ryu's Capcom, so he has as much of a chance to return as Mega Man. Cloud's honestly the only real concern.

Galamauth

I recognize it's great game still but I'm personally so much more accustomed to the pace of Melee and PM that it feels like playing underwater. I sadly haven't touched it very much at all since launch.

Dr.Hadji

It's super floaty, hate no momentum conservation, characters feel slow and like hits do nothing. Would rather play 64, Melee, or PM.

This is not universal across the cast. But obviously, you mean Falcon and Fox don't have it. And lol at "hits do nothing".

poodaddy

I adored Melee but I preferred Smash 4 overall. I'm getting too old and shitty to hang with these Melee players, dudes might as well be dbz characters.

woodland

This is not universal across the cast. But obviously, you mean Falcon and Fox don't have it. And lol at "hits do nothing".

How many characters have momentum conservation (like when you run and jump and keep the speed in Melee/PM)?. And I said it feels like it, compared to 64/Melee/Brawl, which I played daily a year ago. It's completely subjective.

It doesn't have Snake, so it's already better than Brawl. I don't know if I would consider it the best yet simply because it's only been 2 years. It's definitely up there though.

Duderino

Honestly, wavedashing is annoying to perform, snaking in MKDS was even worse. I'd like to keep my hands/fingers.
I found the older Mario Kart powersliding a lot more engaging than the new. Not that it didn't lead to problems with the DS entry, but the added interactivity felt significantly more rewarding than what's left of it now. Wavedashing, while certainly more difficult to pickup, was similar in that it made Melee a more interactive and dynamic game. Like Mario Kart, there really hasn't been an addition to the core Smash gameplay that has made up for what has been stripped down or cut throughout the years, intentional or not. For me to have any interest in the next installment Nintendo has to present some new and exciting game mechanics again. And by that I don't mean remixing or simplifying exisiting systems that a part of the player base had problems with.

Takyon

Play me and find out

latest

I just wish the game isn't so neutral heavy and that invincible frames aren't as dumb as they are.

Being at an advantageous position just...doesn't feel as actually advantageous as it should be, and it makes a lot of character that can't capitalize on opponent's mistakes not rewarding to play. The way the mechanics work favor characters with mobility and better frame data way too much. Ryu was supposed to be an exception but people finally figured him out sooo lol

I might just pick up Bayonetta. She's the only character that isn't limited by the mechanics because of the way Witch Twist and Witch Time work.

CronoShot

Even as someone who loved Melee without knowing what a wavedash was or anything about combos, something had always felt...off to me with Brawl..

Smash 4 fixed that, and added about a billion characters and the best balance in the series. It's easily my favorite. Although I honestly wish I could get into Melee sometimes, but I realize these guys have been playing the game for 15 years, and I wonder why bother lol.

Best Smash gameplay and best roster ever. Some of the new modes they added were a little ill-conceived (Smash Tour is an utter mess and I hated Target Blast as a substitute for the traditional "Break the Targets"), plus some of the 8-player maps were atrociously bad (Great Cave Offensive, I'm looking at you), but overall it's easily the best in the Smash franchise.

Really hoping for a "complete edition" Switch port, and hopefully with a synthesis of the Wii U and 3DS stages, plus a new mode or two and a couple additional fighters/stages.

Falchion

I'm about to play this for the first time since I just got my hands on a Wii U. Can't wait because Melee was my jam.

GamerJM

Banned
Even as someone who loved Melee without knowing what a wavedash was or anything about combos, something had always felt...off to me with Brawl..

Smash 4 fixed that, and added about a billion characters and the best balance in the series. It's easily my favorite. Although I honestly wish I could get into Melee sometimes, but I realize these guys have been playing the game for 15 years, and I wonder why bother lol.

The documentary actually brought a lot of new people into the scene, and Melee's growing eSports presence is bringing more people in. Two weeks ago a guy who's been playing for two years beat a top 10 in the world player. At local tournaments whenever I talk to people about how long they've been playing it's usually around a year or less than that. If you live in a somewhat populated area I'd recommend looking up Facebook groups for competitive Smash and seeing what your region is like, there's most likely a tournament within driving distance. Get there early and you can play lots of friendly (non-tournament) matches with people and ask for tips. I'm recommending this not just for Melee, but for any Smash game, especially if you enjoy playing For Glory in SSB4 (though Melee/S4 are by far the most active ones).

Also, this channel gives a lot of tutorials on Melee, some of which are completely newcomer friendly.

My analysis of smash 4, by Gem

Roster:
* it's huge and filled with lots of iconic peeps both first and third party for those into those sorts of things :3
* it's the first entry in the smash series to add a character I genuinely find myself wanting to play (Female Corrin)
* Miis are an interesting idea but much like custom moves they were half-assed in their implementation (due to not being allowed online, not being able to carry costume pieces you bought over, etc)
* Palutena wasn't done very well. Moveset wise they gave her horrible defaults and some of her core moves are laughable, but even outside of that I feel they totally failed to capture her character anyway.
* Separating Zelda and Shiek was a good move, if you're not going to have fluid transitions between states ala Nightmare in Soul Calibur then don't bother at all.

Combat Environment:
* Items are FAR too lethal now. In previous entries you had to keep an eye out for the odd bob-omb or the like but it seems like half the things that drop now are just death incarnate, whether it's the drill arm of 'carried to the blastzone', the tiny beetle that's impossible to spot until it's too late when the camera is zoomed out, the gust jar of lulz, the kid icarus death beam cannon, etc.
* Stage Hazards really, REALLY need to be optional :/
* Walk-offs are not fun, whether you're competitive or not, it just encourages camping and yet there's a ton of them. Why?

Content
* Single player is forgettable. I think melee nailed it with its adventure mode
* Smash Run almost feels good but to be honest I enjoy the dungeon more than the events at the end :p
* Smash Tour is... meh? The idea is interesting in terms of moving around the board at the same time and whatnot but the actual smash matches in it feel random and unrewarding to me
* I don't care for any of the bonus games at all, they're a far cry from break the targets
* Tournaments were a good idea but terribly implemented
* Does anyone really care about conquest? :p

Mechanics
* I love the new offstage gameplay brought on by edge-trumping. I find it more interesting to both watch and play compared to how it was handled in the previous entries
* While rolling too much can be punished fairly consistently, I sometimes find myself surprised how small the window to punish predictable rolling is and with online lag it can turn eye-roll inducing at times, especially with certain characters :p
* The removal of tripping was obviously a good thing :3
* I'm glad it doesn't have L-Cancelling (in my opinion it's a silly mechanic that should be automatic, not an arbitrary button press)
* I'm glad it doesn't have wavedashing (in my opinion they should just fix dashing so it accomplishes what people wavedash to do, rather than relying on a bunch of button presses to bandaid what's wrong)

Misc
* Amiibo implementation leaves me cold. Could've used it to transfer your nametag and settings, maybe even custom characters buuuuuut no... instead it's some pet AI thing that doesn't even really need the amiibo to have worked as an idea.
* Outside of maybe on the Miis, custom moves just don't really work well. Their balance is often questionable, some seem like they were added to just make up the numbers, unlocking them is a pain and ultimately I just feel they could've spent the dev time better elsewhere :/

Summary
* while I have a list of nitpicks a mile long, it's my favourite smash. It's just there's a ton of room for improvement or refinement :3

The best SP mode (Smash Run) is 3DS exclusive, so that's weird.

Gameplay itself is the best among all the Smash games, IMO. Yes, better than Melee.

Jimrpg

I wish it had the single player content from Brawl (the Adventure mode?), I don't find enough reason to play Smash Wii U single player wise. I also don't have anyone to play Smash with either.

Raw64life

Double dipped. Spent 80+ hours of the 3DS version. Only spent about 25 on the Wii U version. Even though the Wii U version was superior, I was burnt out by the time it came out. I didn't get any of the DLC as I had already spent $100 on Smash and had no desire to spend more.

If the rumored Switch version comes with everything included and does enough extra, I might just triple dip.

Anura

All you need to do is jump and then quickly airdodge diagonally.

it's difficult to get down, but it's not going to hurt your hands.

Depends who you play. As an Ice Climber main I rarely try my hardest because it can hurt doing all that dashing.

Ultimadrago

An improvement over Brawl, but still not where I'd like it to be.

This is sorta where I am. That said, I don't dislike the game, quite the contrary in fact. I like it, but I don't love it. The character reveal trailers were the best part of the whole experience. The game itself at least doesn't make me want to instantly stop playing shorty after playing like Brawl. However, I don't find myself wanting to return to it much at all due to the combat.

I'm still there for the next console release (I think).

random25

The latest patch makes it the best it's ever been. I've been playing it still ever since launch, especially the 3DS version because of portability.

And despite the flaws of implementation, I've pretty much played tons of hours on online modes.

LordKasual

Banned
you play competitively and you think smash 4 is worse than brawl? how the fuck

I also play competitively, but smash 4 shits all over brawl in every single way.

My big problem with Smash 4 vs. Brawl is that Smash 4 was the more or less the death of obtaining and maintaining an advantage. Smash 4 added some hitstun but its combos are ultimately worthless for serving their purpose because Smash 4's mechanics are slanted entirely in favor of the losing player.

We no longer have special cancels. Feels extremely ugly for characters who used to have them, like Falco, Link, ect. Samus, ect.

We no longer have shield push, which means the aggressor is typically freely punished, even without perfect shield. This leads meta to favor those with really low landing lag and good recovery data. (Hi Sheik, hi Diddy, hi Mario)

We no longer have edgefalling, which means this new overbuffed shield can even be used on the edge of platforms without the defender losing any advantage.

We no longer have edgehogging, which is supplemented with a ridiculous ledge snap range. Recovery for majority of characters is basically free. Against MOST characters you are literally putting yourself in danger by attempting to edgeguard them.

We no longer have lasing shield damage. Basically you can almost have your shield broken, run away and be at near 100%.

Rolls are overbuffed just as much as shields are. Majority of characters can roll the distance of the stage as fast / faster than they can sprint. They are notoriously hard to punish now. Combined with the shield regen, the concept of shield pressure is essentially completely gone.

Shield pokes are almost nonexistent. In part due to shield regeneration, but im sure its just a change to the mechanic.

Rage mechanic gives a ridiculous buff to the player losing the match. Further trivializes holding an advantage.

I could keep going. But basically, pick a character (any character) that existed in both Smash 4 and Brawl. The Brawl incarnation has far more depth to their gameplan than they do in Smash 4. For all of Brawl's horrible shortcomings, it was just much better to master than Smash 4, which is basically one massive neutral game.

leroidys

I loved it for a while, but ended up getting pretty sick of it honestly.

-Too many annoying characters centered around keepaway gimmicks
-Too many random, non-nintendo characters for my taste
-Way too fucking many FE characters (again, for my tastes)
-Mega Man was an awesome inclusion, but he's just not very fun to play as
-No ice climbers
-Ruined Olimars metagame
-No Pokemon Trainer
-Stages lack variety
-Single player content is extremely lackluster
-Online play performs acceptably only in 1v1, and even then it's a crapshoot
-Limited online modes
-Defense is too good, making characters without safe pokes or KO grabs unviable
-Related to the last one, but like half of the fucking cast has parries. They either need to limit it to a couple characters or make it a universal system. Annoying as hell.
-Huge gap between characters w/ confirms into KO and those without
-Final smashes are still totally unbalanced crap

yllekz

Banned
Overall: Better than Brawl, but still not a game that I find myself wanting to return to.

3DS Version got more gameplay out of me due to its portability.

Wii U version looks better but I didn't play it nearly as much as the 3DS version due to myself not having as much time to sit down and play console games anymore.

I hugely dislike the expensive DLC, I'd rather it was all built into the games if possible, like Melee.

Some of the character inclusion choices were really odd and too Japan-centric. Fire Emblem is over-represented in Smash 4 and it's obnoxious if you don't care about that particular series.

Speaking of Melee, I sorely miss the Adventure mode. Smash 4's single player left a lot to be desired and I had no motivation to play much of it, which is what led to the game's short shelf life for me.

Top Bottom