• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two years later, how do you feel about Smash 4?

tr00per

Well I'm not a pro fighting game player or smash player by any means, but it's actually my favorite Smash. I'll play it over melee or brawl (the original is a different beast. They play very differently so it fills a different mood) . Though I do wish they had all the old characters and levels...

There's obviously a certain kind of magic that Melee had that really can't be recreated with a straight sequel, but Smash 4 is about as good as Smash can get for someone like me who loves some casual smashing every once in a while. The outrageously huge roster and level of polish is the best there can be. It's really too bad that the single player is so weak since it's the only real issue I have with the game.

PKrockin

Massive fan of the series since 64. Smash 4 has the best cast and it feels the best to play. It's the best one. Maybe if I were an eSports guy I would prefer Melee slightly, but I'm not an eSports guy.

Now unshackle Sakurai from the series and set him to work on creating more amazing, unique, creative, memorable gems like Kid Icarus Uprising. Stuff that makes me fall in love with Nintendo all over again.

hatchx

Banned
Smash 4 was great, but it seemed to have less single player modes than Brawl and Melee which was disappointing.

Party mode and amiibo training just weren't very interesting to me, and the online was 50/50.

Even if it the next Smash is just a remaster of 4 on Switch, I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't add some single-player content. Same for Mario Kart Switch.

cantona222

It didn't do everything right. The single player content is rather weak. 8 player Smash is more of a novelty as it's very hard to keep track of the action. And I do wish it had more original music.

I agree with the negatives you mentioned. However, it is still a great game.

The addition of Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud and Shulk, as well as giving Sonic a bit more killing power, make it my favorite roster in the series, easily. The only way it would be more perfect is if Snake and Ice Climbers were still in.

Single-player is kinda eh, though. The 3DS version's Classic Mode was pretty decent, but the Wii U's version of Classic Mode didn't feel like Classic Mode in the slightest (the stages aren't even tied to what fighter you're up against!). Event Mode was okay, I guess, but I miss the minigames from Smash 64 and Melee, particularly Break the Targets (Brawl's was a pale imitation thereof). Heck, I'm pining for something like Melee's Adventure Mode (probably not Subspace Emissary, though, that was a little too long for my tastes - or if it comes back, make it more "going through Nintendo worlds" than "going through generic worlds with Nintendo characters in them for some reason"). Since I don't play multiplayer that much, the single player content is largely what'd keep me coming back, and if it's lacking, then, well, its staying power with me is limited...

Dremark

Banned
Lost interest quickly. I'm a lot busier than I was when the earlier games came out.

Worst thing about Smash 4 is no Snake, if they continue this trend there's a good chance I won't bother with future installments.

DSix

Banned
It's a good game, but the fact that the online lacks any proper ways to send invitation to friends killed it for me.

Smasher89

Imported a japanese 3ds to get a slight advantage for practicing it in tournament, having played tournaments since melee I wanted to give the game a really good shot.

When it came out in japan, the game was in general alot more fun and had more "identity" then it has now.

I feel the "balance" changes took away alot of fun stuff for a ton of characters and made reliable stuff more like 50/50's, making the game feel alot less consistent, and also less technical.

The metagame right now seems to more and more favor the later DLC characters (since they had just 1 patch with nerfs), and since they arent really fun characters imo (limit charge camp, or learn bayos in and outs with just the combos) im starting to have less fun with this game then any of the others in the series.

Brawl you could lab stuff way better then this game and have alot of fun if you learned the kinda hard to get into at first neutralgame, and it had techniques like DACUS and cool/super strong but avoidable gimmicks that forced you to learn alot of your opponents options.

Ice climbers missing is a huge part for me, and quads would be the one thing that stands out as really cool, too bad it's a very underplayed format. I really want to play highlevel 4vs4, it's still kinda hard to know how to set up a optimal 4vs1 teamcombo! 1 thing I've learned though, is since keeping track of %, calling out a opponent who has high % to your teammates can help alot with efficiency!

A wonderful successor in all ways except no Subspace Emissary 2. It was sorely missed and the cutscenes just seems like filler vs some of the incredible scenes gifted out in Brawl. Mechanics wise it's waaaay tighter than Brawl and alot closer to Melee. Love the game and the roster is definitely one of my all time favorites.

Best the series has ever done in terms of graphics, presentation, music, and online play, but sadly the game is not as fun to play as melee, even at the most casual of levels with 3 other people the gameplay of melee is just more varied and constantly churning out hype moments. Idk why they would remove run speed affecting the velocity of jumps, it makes 4 feel floaty and dull as hell

CTLance

I like it, play it verrrrrrry rarely though - not like I was ever that much of a Smash player.

All I want is a sale on the DLC. Just to tick that box, so to speak.

Minnow

Imported a japanese 3ds to get a slight advantage for practicing it in tournament, having played tournaments since melee I wanted to give the game a really good shot.

When it came out in japan, the game was in general alot more fun and had more "identity" then it has now.

I feel the "balance" changes took away alot of fun stuff for a ton of characters and made reliable stuff more like 50/50's, making the game feel alot less consistent, and also less technical.

The metagame right now seems to more and more favor the later DLC characters (since they had just 1 patch with nerfs), and since they arent really fun characters imo (limit charge camp, or learn bayos in and outs with just the combos) im starting to have less fun with this game then any of the others in the series.

Brawl you could lab stuff way better then this game and have alot of fun if you learned the kinda hard to get into at first neutralgame, and it had techniques like DACUS and cool/super strong but avoidable gimmicks that forced you to learn alot of your opponents options.
There are still quite a lot of playable characters competitively in this game other than bayo and cloud!

Rosa, diddy, Mario, fox, sonic, marth, mew2, zss, and more are all really good and competitive especially since you're probably not referring to top level play so tiers are even less applicable.

Finally, labbing does still matter a lot combo wise with a lot of footstool combos being discovered. Also beefy smash doods/my smash corner releases new tech fairly often.

woopWOOP

It's great. I think they really went out of their way to make this the most complete roster by adding a lot of previous veterans. There's only 3-6 still missing. I doubt any sequel will feel as complete (barring an enhanced Switch port with possibly more previous characters).

I feel the same way about Smash 4's speed, it's perfect. Melee (and Project M) were nice and fast, but at times a little too fast for me.
Smash 4 is not flawless, I have multiple nitpicks about a lot of things (especially the WiiU's stage sizes), but it's still enjoyable enough that I boot it up a few times a week.

Now if only the other players in For Fun would actually throw a goddamn punch instead of having taunt parties all the damn time

Dremorak

Banned
I still play it multiple times a week online. too bad im at the arse end of the world and internet is terrible. Every so often I start messing with a new character and find something fun or some new level of depth I didnt know was there. I was a watching a tournament last week (cant remember the name) and I saw a metaknight that made me want to try him out :D

Also this happened:

https://youtu.be/xmr6WxJHyVM?t=396

Which anytime I see something like this, I need to play again asap hahahah

I really enjoyed it.
I probably played Brawl more/got more fun out of that, but this is probably the best in the series.

My problem was that I was a Marth/Falco main, and they were let's say not very good. No idea what they're like now though, because I've not played in a while.

yllekz

Banned
Still my least favorite Smash Sequel for the following reasons:

1. 90% of the newcomers aren't Nintendo All Stars/Iconic characters and I don't think they deserve to be in smash

Honestly I feel this is my #1 issue with Smash as of late. Smash used to be all about Nintendo's most popular characters and nothing else. Now it seems like seemingly anyone can join the roster for no reason whatsoever.

Ryce

Honestly I feel this is my #1 issue with Smash as of late. Smash used to be all about Nintendo's most popular characters and nothing else. Now it seems like seemingly anyone can join the roster for no reason whatsoever.
No, Smash was never about "Nintendo's most popular characters and nothing else." Ness was in the first game.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm a big single player smash player.....this game might as well not exist

64 is still king I think its time for me to give up on this series 64 was perfect for me nothing will ever top it

MagnesD3

Yep as an old nintendo fan it was very disappointing to see, it was more about what was new and marketable than who was actually important/iconic.

phanphare

Banned
I think it's the best smash game by a very wide margin. for me it's the most fun to play due the variety of ways I can play and the different characters I can use. also as a competitive spectator sport it's really come into its own. lots of viable characters and lots of variety in the fighting styles even between characters. if there's a tournament and smash 4 and melee overlap I'll usually go with smash 4, which I never thought I'd say. unless one is top 8 and the other isn't. overall it's really good stuff and I hope the inevitable switch port has some more characters added, both returning and new.

Jawmuncher

lol there's so many Nintendo characters and people are upset there are some third parties in there? I'm glad Nintendo doesn't feel Smash needs the same rules some of the fan base seem to impose on the series. The idea that smash is a celebration of gaming is far better than just a celebration of all things Nintendo. Considering they still take the majority chunk.

If they had stuff like death Vader, Naruto, & captain America in there. Then maybe I could understand those complaints.

Yep as an old nintendo fan it was very disappointing to see, it was more about what was new and marketable than who was actually important/iconic.

Who makes the call on who is more important? Certainly not the fans who would say Geno is more important than cloud for some odd reason they would piece together. With it amounting to the same tired argument of "that character is more Nintendo".

Nintendo has about every big iconic character in the game at this point. I can't think of any Nintendo characters left out that have more importance than the current third party reps outside of maybe bayo.

I get everyone wants their favorite character in the game. Whether it be Ridley, King K Rool, or whoever. But to say that the third party reps stole spots basically us just wrong. If anything those third party characters are helping smash out even more when it comes to bringing new fans, continuing the series, and bringing in even more Nintendo characters.

As a player who played Brawl pretty seriously then played Smash 4 in its first few months of release. Both me and my significant other, whose a fighting game fan, agree this iteration of Smash is near perfect. With one serious problem.

The biggest eye sore with this games life cycle: Nintendo's ability to patch the game.

As many have already read, there are a lot of posters in this thread that are disgruntled their character is mis-handled with nerfs or debuffs of some kind. I honestly do not think Nintendo's has the best interest of the game at heart in regards to the more serious player. They recognize the serious player, obviously they hosted tournament events in recent memory, but they have no idea how to properly balance this -very free- form type of 'fighting game'. This is something I saw coming over the horizon with Smash 4's release. You'll get the guy who is serious about committing themselves to the game, they find exploits and glitches to make the game a lot more interesting.

Then that meta gets sniped in the bud once Nintendo sees their combo video/ video show casing the exploit.

The game, as a concept at the core, lacks depth by design. Nintendo is doing their damnest to put the game into an early grave because they want a lot of accessibility while stepping on the toes of the people who actually want it to become a really in depth game.

But, it is their product. While I have no saying power in how they want to protect their software, there is certainly something wrong with having your serious players new toys taken away for their sake of balance. The exploits from Brawl is what gave the game depth. If they want to move forward with this series, they need to consider putting in game mechanics that fit the nature of the game, but give it the depth the more serious player can really chew on for many years.

I mean look at Melee. Buggy AF, built in 9 months and is still being played seriously without a patch.

MagnesD3

lol there's so many Nintendo characters and people are upset there are some third parties in there? I'm glad Nintendo doesn't feel Smash needs the same rules some of the fan base seem to impose on the series. The idea that smash is a celebration of gaming is far better than just a celebration of all things Nintendo. Considering they still take the majority chunk.

If they had stuff like death Vader, Naruto, & captain America in there. Then maybe I could understand those complaints.

Who makes the call on who is more important? Certainly not the fans who would say Geno is more important than cloud for some odd reason they would piece together. With it amounting to the same tired argument of "that character is more Nintendo".

Nintendo has about every big iconic character in the game at this point. I can't think of any Nintendo characters left out that have more importance than the current third party reps outside of maybe bayo.

I get everyone wants their favorite character in the game. Whether it be Ridley, King K Rool, or whoever. But to say that the third party reps stole spots basically us just wrong. If anything those third party characters are helping smash out even more when it comes to bringing new fans, continuing the series, and bringing in even more Nintendo characters.
The bolded part just takes logical deducing based on each series individually their importance or iconic status to the series/fanbase overall. As for 3rd party characters I dont remember really complaining about them specifically really. I have more complaints for the nintendo newcomers tbh.

Malyse

Best smash until Smash for Switch goty version with all the 3DS and Wii U stages and modes comes out.
And Subspace Emissary 2 and 10 more DLC characters.

LordKasual

Banned
I still play it multiple times a week online. too bad im at the arse end of the world and internet is terrible. Every so often I start messing with a new character and find something fun or some new level of depth I didnt know was there. I was a watching a tournament last week (cant remember the name) and I saw a metaknight that made me want to try him out :D

Also this happened:

https://youtu.be/xmr6WxJHyVM?t=396

Which anytime I see something like this, I need to play again asap hahahah

Oh my GOD this is a perfect example of why I hate this game.

Sheik is dominating him, 24% to his 94%. He lands one grab and kills her with Rage. At 24%. Only because he was losing.

hampig

I wish it had Subspace, if only for the boss-rush mode. Other than that, it's exactly the game I'd hoped it would be. Really excellent. I would be fine if they just re-released it on Switch with revamped online.

Banned
7.8/10.

Too much content.

No but for real. I bought it on launch day and played it like crazy for a week and maxed out my amiibo. I did some classic mode and then never touched it again.

I wanted to get back to it but other games took my interest.

Then all the dlc started coming and I felt lost.

So I decided to not play Smash 4 again till all the dlc was out. But by the time that happened we got the ultimate edition for NS.

So now I'm waiting for that before getting back into it.

Mechanically it's the best Smash for me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's why I don't take Nintendo Purists serious anymore because they complained about how third party characters invaded into Smash roster and ruined the game for them which is overreacting at best. I meant look at the roster, we have 58 characters, and we only have 6 third party characters in the roster. The roster have more than 90% of Nintendo characters.

Best Smash game overall without a question, but there are some things about it that irritate me.

1) Way too hard to get all of the unlockable moves. I really hoped to create a ton of variations on the main roster, but there's no way I'll get all the moves. They're completely random, and you're just as likely to get...
2) Stat Boost equipment. There's so many of them that seem to be identical that it ends up to be a touch confusing. And they don't do anything to the characters' looks!
3) Mii characters never get selected when do Random characters. My preferred way to play Smash is a four-player, 3-stock match with the bots at varying intensity levels, all on Random select. Mii characters are fun to make, but if you ever want to see them, you have to choose them directly.
4) No meaningful single player. Subspace Emissary was so cool.

Duderino

Idk why they would remove run speed affecting the velocity of jumps, it makes 4 feel floaty and dull as hell
The designers clearly wanted complete control over all the moment to moment gameplay. No way they could have that with variable velocity (and not just with jumping). I agree that the game feel is a lot worse as a result, but ultimately that was the developers decision to make. Probably felt moving away from the physics playground the series started as would allow them to craft a more curiated experience and help with online pay. I'm sure some people out there prefer that, but man do I miss the crazy moments that could happen in the previous games. Even at a casual level nothing in Smash 4 comes close to matching the chaos that was the hyrule castle cave in Melee thanks to the physics.

Places third in terms of rankings for the series, but I love it. It's a more refined version of Brawl, but removed a lot of what I absolutely adored about it.

So
Melee > Brawl > Smash 4 > 64

+ Cast is amazing. Got rid of Ice Climbers, LOTS of Fire Emblem love (we got Ike AND Lucina AND Robin AND Roy AHHHHH), awesome 3rd party gets, and so much quantity
+ Amiibos!!!
+ Omega Stages are wonderful
+ Multiple versions is awesome
+ No more tripping!
+ So much content!
+ Controller options are divine
+ Still the Smash game I know and love

- Still the Smash game I know and love. Not enough new and fresh.
- No meaningful singleplayer experience. This is the BIG killer for me
- Classic Mode in Smash Wii U is simply awful. Worst in the series
- Significantly less cool art style than Brawl. Brawl was dark and gritty, Smash 4 is too colorful and poppy
- Custom moves were a big let down and weren't embraced as much as I would like
- Stat boosts for customs were lame
- Made a fair amount of characters significantly less fun and interesting due to gutting mechanics of gliding, transformations, etc.
- No more edgehogging
- Still too many clones
- No Ridley (I don't even like Metroid, but still want Ridley)
- Still no Pichu :(

Dr.Hadji

Oh my GOD this is a perfect example of why I hate this game.

Sheik is dominating him, 24% to his 94%. He lands one grab and kills her with Rage. At 24%. Only because he was losing.

LOL. That wasn't a rage kill. The third hit of Mario's Super Jump Punch (which is the last hit that killed Sheik) calculates knockback independent of % anyway. If anything, rage really only helped with the D-throw into up air, because at 24% that follow up is pretty tight.

Again, MAX RAGE only adds an equivalent of 15% knockback. The best way to think about rage is that it acts as a normalizing dynamic. Take any training mode kill set up (that's not a spike), say Mario F-Smash at the edge of Smashville kills Sheik at 45%. Sweet, take that into a normal VS setting and the 10 degrees of DI an opponent can place on the hit changes that guaranteed kill damage from 45% to something like 50-something%. But do the same set up with a little Rage (so you're at 94% like Mario in the video) and Sheik dies.

The thing I never understand about Rage complaints, in almost every instance, people dying from "Rage" hits were at kill % anyway. Rage didn't kill Sheik in that video, the combo did.

Rage complaints from a competitive standpoint confuse me. Rage is not purely a comeback mechanic; it can be utilized just as well by the person in the lead. Overall, it balances itself out.

I also don't understand people saying the game is slow. Matches, on average, take like 3 minutes each. It's not unusual for a set to go to game 3 and still finish under 10 minutes. You can point out characters like Mega Man and Sonic making games take longer, but then I can point out that characters like Captain Falcon or Zero Suit Samus make games shorter.

Smasher89

The biggest eye sore with this games life cycle: Nintendo's ability to patch the game.

As many have already read, there are a lot of posters in this thread that are disgruntled their character is mis-handled with nerfs or debuffs of some kind. I honestly do not think Nintendo's has the best interest of the game at heart in regards to the more serious player. They recognize the serious player, obviously they hosted tournament events in recent memory, but they have no idea how to properly balance this -very free- form type of 'fighting game'. You'll get the guy who is serious about committing themselves to the game, they find exploits and glitches to make the game a lot more interesting.

Then that meta gets sniped in the bud once Nintendo sees their combo video/ video show casing the exploit.

The game, as a concept at the core, lacks depth by design. Nintendo is doing their damnest to put the game into an early grave because they want a lot of accessibility while stepping on the toes of the people who actually want it to become a really in depth game.
While I have no saying power in how they want to protect their software, there is certainly something wrong with having your serious players new toys taken away for their sake of balance. The exploits from Brawl is what gave the game depth..
Yep, noticed that every japanese/ worldwide tournament, was a long term terrible move for the winning player to attend.
First Rosalina got nerfed heavily when Dabuz won the american 3ds tournament(when noone had hands on with the game).
Then Greninja got heavily nerfed when the japanese Greninja won a tournament, then shiek, diddy and last ZSS/MK when Nairo went to japan to play both players in WF got destroyed.
They also added dlc, that after like 1 year on the market, took 3 days to dominate the scene, meaning basicly all previous experience was basicly for nothing, due to their strenght.

Rosa, diddy, Mario, fox, sonic, marth, mew2, zss, and more are all really good and competitive especially since you're probably not referring to top level play so tiers are even less applicable.

Finally, labbing does still matter a lot combo wise with a lot of footstool combos being discovered. Also beefy smash doods/my smash corner releases new tech fairly often.
I am refering to top level play, but even mid level, every stream you watch right now had bayo atleast in top 3, and i would say she is not a very great character due to slow frame data, but still gets those results.

Labbing is not accessible since rage is not a factor in trainingmode, meaning you basicly have to lab in vs mode unless it's with no rage at all. Rage in itself forces you to learn the % every threshold, both on your %, but also the opponent, meaning the required time to lab per matchup far more then doubles just for 1 mechanic, making the game a ton less accessable. If you don't learn those thresholds, you are at a risk at getting comebacked due to how that mechanic works.
The ability to use slowmotion doesnt get its full potencial if you want to lab alone.
Atleast the game has optionselects for long term learning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S07OS0NDSAk shiek had no real counter, this match got uploaded, game got patched, guess what happened!

EDIT: final rant, just a bit salty "my" chars both got excluded, and nerfed the most in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S07OS0NDSAk shiek had no real counter, this match got uploaded, game got patched, guess what happened!

EDIT: final rant, just a bit salty "my" chars both got excluded, and nerfed the most in the game.

Regardless of what you think about Peach or Sheik, infinites should have no place in any competitive game.

Yes, I'm calling out Melee Ice Climbers with this post. I'm pretty sure no one would cry if wobbling ever got patched out.

Dreavus

Casually, it's pretty great. I wish there was just a little bit more solo stuff, that's all. I would have really liked a version of smash run to be on the Wii U version as well, since it's kind of like the old adventure mode in Melee all by itself. The master/crazy orders are fun to play for a bit but they get tiresome after a while, especially the "very hard" ones where the computers are input-reading nightmares.

I still played it quite a bit solo though. Event mode was pretty cool. The achievements were fun to shoot for, although now I'm left with the grindy ones like "complete classic at X difficulty with all characters".

I don't get people over to play it specifically very much, but that's more of a lifestyle change compared to when Melee was big for us. However it's still a lot of fun to jump into a FFA. I remember Brawl specifically losing steam with the people I played with relatively quickly just because of how the game played (near instant air recoveries and general floatiness).

Dr.Hadji

Labbing is not accessible since rage is not a factor in trainingmode, meaning you basicly have to lab in vs mode unless it's with no rage at all. Rage in itself forces you to learn the % every threshold, both on your %, but also the opponent, meaning the required time to lab per matchup far more then doubles just for 1 mechanic, making the game a ton less accessable. If you don't learn those thresholds, you are at a risk at getting comebacked due to how that mechanic works.
The ability to use slowmotion doesnt get its full potencial if you want to lab alone.
Atleast the game has optionselects for long term learning.

I hear you, rage can make things crazy complex. But most combos still work with performed within 10% of their ideal damage. Super specific damage combos can usually get blown up with DI anyway.

Rage does make it so you have to feel out your combos sometimes. The whole dynamic can make a game that's hard to tame anyway feel even more wild.

Top Bottom