• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Number45

Do people not play the first three levels? All of this is explained before there's so much going on on-screen that the text is all but invisible.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well that went well. Got up to level 85 with a score of 6.07m on pure mode. Puts me in second place on the leaderboards. Damn that run was looooong. Almost looked like I was gonna make it through the entire game at one point, but alas certain individual levels took away several of my lives in one go.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How long is long? Wanna know if I should attempt it on my train trip into work.

I swear my run was approaching 2 hours. But I also ate some pizza in the middle of the run so I guess you can shave some time off for that. But it was definitely long. To be honest it kinda puts me off wanting to play Pure again if I know it's forcing in to such a long game session.

BuzzJive

I swear my run was approaching 2 hours. But I also ate some pizza in the middle of the run so I guess you can shave some time off for that. But it was definitely long. To be honest it kinda puts me off wanting to play Pure again if I know it's forcing in to such a long game session.

Yeah - my run to level 77 the other night started one evening and finished up in the morning. 2 hours sounds about right.

I don't play Lumines anymore because it takes hours to finish a game. I feel like TxK is easier to pause and come back to though, assuming you do it right before you start a new level.

I didn't get to go for your score last night. I tried a Survival run instead, and died a bit too quickly for my liking.

So, is there any way to defeat the new enemy on level 89? (anyone who's played the level knows what I'm talking about) I assume you can't kill it, since I used a supertapper and it still wouldn't go away.

I assume you're talking about the dude at the bottom just cycling back and forth. He's invincible (invincibull?).

What is supertapping? How do I do it?
WTF am I doing wrong!?

As the others have said it's your smart-bomb, tap screen or circle.
They called it that because it was called "Superzapper" in the original Tempest - and I guess you tap to use this one...?

Guys I have a weird thing, when I go to look at the leaderboard (out of morbid curiosity since my scores are so lame!) it shows my scores in "local mode", I press triangle to go online, and then my score vanishes, I press X to find my score and it ain't there. It doesn't upload the score automatically, or what? I can't figure it out. Unless my score is literally too low to be uploaded lol. The Vita's always online when I play it since I play it at home, so I don't get it!

Skyzard

Banned
Hot damn, lots of new scores in the last two days. Need to put in some work, nice job guys!

Anyone know if Jeff is working on a patch at all? Not sure he reads this thread you know, game doesn't exactly crash for him to get bug reports...

BuzzJive

The most annoying minor bug to me is that the level doesn't reset if you press start, then select, then start on the same board you're currently on. It'll leave stems and some other residuals there. If you select a different board, then come back to the board again, it'll be cleaned up okay.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
+ 1 on the Lumines point. It's maddening. Sometimes games can last hours and hours.

I kind of like the idea of the 'long March' in Pure but time will tell whether I end up playing Classic more. I like Espgaluda, Super Stardust Delta, Resogun and Sine Mora because a run takes between half an hour and an hour. Hmmm.

Bug wise, does anybody know if there's going to be a patch for the audio cutting out around levels 75 to 85 ?

Shaneus

I don't play Lumines anymore because it takes hours to finish a game. I feel like TxK is easier to pause and come back to though, assuming you do it right before you start a new level.
I'm still pushing my way through Classic (haven't had a decent enough block of time to clear it) and I fear that extended session :( At least the Vita has an amazing suspend mode that doesn't chew batteries. I have that same problem with Lumines, too. I love it to death (it was the first reason I started thinking about buying a Vita), but it really does take too long.

Something perhaps to switch it up a little might be a mode that lets you pick, say, 10 random levels and it shuffles them for you? Not good for high score chasing (unless it's made a daily challenge and the random levels are fixed) but good and short enough to keep people happy for a quick TxK hit.

Goddamn this OST, I swear. I was kinda lukewarm towards some tracks at first because of how trancy a lot of it is, now it's eaten into me like those classic old Beatmania tracks and I have to listen to it at work or I slowly go insane

RMI

Banned
Been playing this a lot since picking it up a few days ago and I agree with you guys about the length. I've been doing the occasional pure game and also just pushing further and further into classic so that I know what to expect for the eventual mega long pure games.

Overall though I'm really in love with this game. It might just be rose colored lenses right now, but I don't expect to play a better video game this year. I don't remember the last time I played a game this exhilarating.

Agent X

Gold Member
Something perhaps to switch it up a little might be a mode that lets you pick, say, 10 random levels and it shuffles them for you? Not good for high score chasing (unless it's made a daily challenge and the random levels are fixed) but good and short enough to keep people happy for a quick TxK hit.

Funny that you should mention this. I was thinking of something similar earlier today.

My idea was that you would have a separate mode, with the levels separated into chunks of 10 (or maybe 20, even), but keeping the original order (that is, levels 1-10 for the first group, 11-20 for the second group, 21-30 for the third group, etc.). You'd have to unlock these groups by progressing through one of the other modes. Each group would have its own individual scoreboard. This would be great for getting a quick 10-15 minute fix of TxK and still being able to compete with your friends. I compare this to something like Planet Mode on Super Stardust HD (or Delta), where you could knock out a single world within the span of a few minutes, rather than feeling like you have to devote an hour or more to have a meaningful game session

I do like your idea of having a random bundle of 10 levels. I could see this presented as a daily or weekly challenge, much like OlliOlli does with its "Daily Grind". I think I'd prefer a weekly challenge, just because it might give people more opportunities to chase their friends' scores back and forth a few times. I'd also suggest keeping the last few daily/weekly scoreboards up, so friends can continue to compare scores with each other.

Shaneus

Funny that you should mention this. I was thinking of something similar earlier today.

My idea was that you would have a separate mode, with the levels separated into chunks of 10 (or maybe 20, even), but keeping the original order (that is, levels 1-10 for the first group, 11-20 for the second group, 21-30 for the third group, etc.). You'd have to unlock these groups by progressing through one of the other modes. Each group would have its own individual scoreboard. This would be great for getting a quick 10-15 minute fix of TxK and still being able to compete with your friends. I compare this to something like Planet Mode on Super Stardust HD (or Delta), where you could knock out a single world within the span of a few minutes, rather than feeling like you have to devote an hour or more to have a meaningful game session

I do like your idea of having a random bundle of 10 levels. I could see this presented as a daily or weekly challenge, much like OlliOlli does with its "Daily Grind". I think I'd prefer a weekly challenge, just because it might give people more opportunities to chase their friends' scores back and forth a few times. I'd also suggest keeping the last few daily/weekly scoreboards up, so friends can continue to compare scores with each other.
Yeah, well, daily or weekly... something to change stuff up once things are done, I guess. Weekly could be good, but I'd be concerned it'd be too long (given the game's barely been out a week and look how far most people have come!). I'm sure something will happen though, I think with the apparent success of the game, Jeff and Giles'll be motivated to tweak things up a little bit.

At least, I'm hoping they do. I'm still hoping they'll let you jump with the rear touchpad. I just like the idea of tapping it and your ship following through to jump off the ribbon! Be a weird sensation, I'd think.

Edit: Apologies for not having updated the OP in a bit... forgiveness, please. Hell, the OST isn't even in there, let alone PSN ID updates :( Promise I'll have it up to snuff early this weekend!

+ 1 on the Lumines point. It's maddening. Sometimes games can last hours and hours.

I agree, but once you have the trophy for having completed 1 "lap" of Voyage, you can then quite happily go onto Playlist mode. You still get the same EXP if you still need that, and you can pick exactly the songs you like. I like doing a shuffle of 10 songs - that generally lasts between 20 and 30 minutes. You can do 5 too (or, obviously, any number, given you can pick your own) However I understand the hankering to just blast through Voyage!

Skyzard

Banned
I don't play Lumines very often (2hr sessions), but when I do I love it. I already 100% the extra stuff, no puzzles :(

With TxK I can see myself playing more due to classic mode, few levels here and there, as well as the long sessions on Pure (and hopefully eventually Survival too).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I agree, but once you have the trophy for having completed 1 "lap" of Voyage, you can then quite happily go onto Playlist mode. You still get the same EXP if you still need that, and you can pick exactly the songs you like. I like doing a shuffle of 10 songs - that generally lasts between 20 and 30 minutes. You can do 5 too (or, obviously, any number, given you can pick your own) However I understand the hankering to just blast through Voyage!

I will try this. Thank you!

elhav

Oh hell yeah! World number 1 in classic, baby. Got 8.1m. I'm happy now.
Awesome. You win a
txk_14.png
Really though, congratz.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Someone had the nerve to knock me off the top spot in classic today. But fear not, I reclaimed my rightful place at the top. Man I love this game.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sat on about 4m ish in Pure at the moment and gonna go back in a mo. Just out of interest...

Has anyone here done the long march yet?

And what do you prefer- the fly through rings bonus level or the follow the green path bonus level?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sat on about 4m ish in Pure at the moment and gonna go back in a mo. Just out of interest...

Has anyone here done the long march yet?

And what do you prefer- the fly through rings bonus level or the follow the green path bonus level?

I'm pretty sure nobody has. If they had then the top pure score would be much higher. Whoever has 7m on pure must have got fairly close though. I was at 6m on my pure run that lasted to level 85, so I'd imagine that guy made it to somewhere in the low to mid 90s.

And I reckon I prefer the flying through rings bonus level.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm pretty sure nobody has. If they had then the top pure score would be much higher. Whoever has 7m on pure must have got fairly close though. I was at 6m on my pure run that lasted to level 85, so I'd imagine that guy made it to somewhere in the low to mid 90s.

And I reckon I prefer the flying through rings bonus level.

I just did it. And the trophy DIDN'T PING. It didn't f ing ping!

Finished with a score of 6m which should put me third.

Nope. Second!! Hell yes!!!!!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just did it. And the trophy DIDN'T PING. It didn't f ing ping!

Finished with a score of 6m which should put me third.

Nope. Second!! Hell yes!!!!!

You made it through the whole game and only got 6m? What the hell did I do to get around that score with 15 levels still to go?

But anyway, well done!
Motherfucker knocked me down to third. Now I''m mad.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You made it through the whole game and only got 6m? What the hell did I do to get around that score with 15 levels still to go?

But anyway, well done!
Motherfucker knocked me down to third. Now I''m mad.

But no trophy!!!!!! No damn proof! Ah was it you I knocked down?

6.3m. I was gonna ask how you got so high? Guess I abused jump a bit too much in the later levels.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
But no trophy!!!!!! No damn proof! Ah was it you I knocked down?

6.3m. I was gonna ask how you got so high? Guess I abused jump a bit too much in the later levels.

I very rarely use jump. Only in super extreme circumstances. Even when enemies are up the top I'll rarely use it and just abuse the lean ability to take them out.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I very rarely use jump. Only in super extreme circumstances. Even when enemies are up the top I'll rarely use it and just abuse the lean ability to take them out.

I think I'm really conservative at the moment - in the later levels I really wanted the trophy so was letting AI do a lot of the work. And then it didn't ping. I'm going to have to do it again.

Great game though. I might have to try and tone down my jumps! I love the levels with shorter webs- the faster the better. My weakness are the Gits. Hate them!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Pretty sure he's aware but I'll give him a little nudge.

If you're in touch with him could you also ask about the audio cutting out around levels 75ish and the no trophy ping for the long march? I suspect mine didn't ping because I got a bonus level at the end of level 100 but it's be nice to know.

I've tweeted him but it probably didn't make a dent in the flood of correspondence (or he ignored it!)

Turnstyle

I'm interested in this game, but in the last Bombcast they mentioned that it uses motion controls. Is this right? As a commuter gamer, the last thing I want to be doing is flailing around in my seat while everyone edges away.

Shaneus

I'm interested in this game, but in the last Bombcast they mentioned that it uses motion controls. Is this right? As a commuter gamer, the last thing I want to be doing is flailing around in my seat while everyone edges away.
Not enough to actually say it does. It's only used in the in-betweens of stages, but even then you can use a d-pad or joystick to navigate just as well.

Purchase away!

I think I'm really conservative at the moment - in the later levels I really wanted the trophy so was letting AI do a lot of the work. And then it didn't ping. I'm going to have to do it again.
I'm super conservative too, then I'll just think "fuck it" then overdo it on the next few levels. Most of the time I'm fine (it's handy to pick up powerups that leave the web) but I never really learn until I run into a bullet or one of those extra-long spikes :/

The between-levels bonus thing uses tilt in a small way, but that's all.

I'm finding the camera can't really keep up with the action on some of the later levels. T2K had some camera options, this could possibly do with the same.

Shaneus

I'm finding the camera can't really keep up with the action on some of the later levels. T2K had some camera options, this could possibly do with the same.
It did? I don't recall any. But that's from playing only a handful of times on the Jag itself, many more on the emulator and many, many more on the Windows version.

It did? I don't recall any. But that's from playing only a handful of times on the Jag itself, many more on the emulator and many, many more on the Windows version.

Yes you could zoom all the way out with no movement of the web, it was a fixed camera. I agree that this could do with some options similar to that, but really this is pretty damn close to perfection.

baconcow

Looking for a few answers as I am new to TxK and Tempest. Didn't see these in the rulebook or they were not clarified well.

1) How does the end-level ring scoring work? 0, 250, 500, or 750 points. What is with the YES YES YES YES? Why do I sometimes see a red heard when I go through the rings and I don't see a score pop up?

2) When playing classic, I see a purple score gauge above the regular score on the left. It seems to count down, seemingly with score. It is not always there. What is it?

3) For the best set to overwrite, for claasic restart, you need to have best score at that level and equal or more than best lives, right? Otherwise, when does best score or most lives update?

4) Are all bonuses updates random in order? Are some bonuses only points. I find myself getting AI droid before jump, sometimes.

PSN: baconcow1812
I added everyone listed on the OT first post. Thanks.

elhav

Looking for a few answers as I am new to TxK and Tempest. Didn't see these in the rulebook or they were not clarified well.

1) How does the end-level ring scoring work? 0, 250, 500, or 750 points. What is with the YES YES YES YES? Why do I sometimes see a red heard when I go through the rings and I don't see a score pop up?

2) When playing classic, I see a purple score gauge above the regular score on the left. It seems to count down, seemingly with score. It is not always there. What is it?

3) For the best set to overwrite, for claasic restart, you need to have best score at that level and equal or more than best lives, right? Otherwise, when does best score or most lives update?

4) Are all bonuses updates random in order? Are some bonuses only points. I find myself getting AI droid before jump, sometimes.

PSN: baconcow1812
I added everyone listed on the OT first post. Thanks.
1) The closer you are to the middle of the screen the bigger the score. When you see a heart it means you are perfectly centered, and it's worth 1000 points. Then 750, then 500 etc. Oh the YES YES YES YES is just because the game is awesome. I don't think it means anything lol

2)I also wonder what it is D:

3)I think the score is the only thing that matters(correct me if I'm wrong)and if you get a higher score than the last time,it will say in the end of the level that it will restart from the current score next time you play classic mode from that level.

4)The bonuses are random. You can be super lucky and get an AI droid on the first +(and it's awesome)

Add my PSN: isaacelhav.

Just recently found out what you can do with lean-shooting and my scores are much higher.

baconcow

1) The closer you are to the middle of the screen the bigger the score. When you see a heart it means you are perfectly centered, and it's worth 1000 points. Then 750, then 500 etc. Oh the YES YES YES YES is just because the game is awesome. I don't think it means anything lol

2)I also wonder what it is D:

3)I think the score is the only thing that matters(correct me if I'm wrong)and if you get a higher score than the last time,it will say in the end of the level that it will restart from the current score next time you play classic mode from that level.

4)The bonuses are random. You can be super lucky and get an AI droid on the first +(and it's awesome)

Add my PSN: isaacelhav.

Just recently found out what you can do with lean-shooting and my scores are much higher.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) Ah, middle of the screen. I didn't notice getting points when the heart was on-screen. Sometimes motion controls throw me off.

2) It cannot be only score. My level 5 was 110,000 4 lives. I kept getting there with 120k+ but only 3 lives and it wouldn't update. But now it saya 130,050 4 lives. This is where my curiosity came from.

4) I read that I get nothing while jumping, so I've been leaning more using the L button. Does the AI Droid kills count towards my score? I havent noticed one way or the other (too busy avoiding death).

elhav

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) Ah, middle of the screen. I didn't notice getting points when the heart was on-screen. Sometimes motion controls throw me off.

2) It cannot be only score. My level 5 was 110,000 4 lives. I kept getting there with 120k+ but only 3 lives and it wouldn't update. But now it saya 130,050 4 lives. This is where my curiosity came from.

4) I read that I get nothing while jumping, so I've been leaning more using the L button. Does the AI Droid kills count towards my score? I havent noticed one way or the other (too busy avoiding death).
I think the Droid's kills net scores(I remember vaguely getting points after my Droid took out some bulls or something)

I suppose then that the lives are what counts when it comes to score restart, so if you get a better score with the same amount of lives, obviously it will be set as the score restart.

Yeah, if there is one thing TxK fails completely at is the motion stuff. I hate losing points just because the damn thing can't center itself at the end of a level(trying to stay at the center) Besides that, this game is a dream.

Top Bottom