• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not 100% but I think one of the songs is just very quiet? Around the 70s iirc. Will get back to playing this but I am hoping for a patch for the accidental non-saving and displaying friend leaderboards by rank still, can take a while I guess but I'm not sure it's happening at all.

VLiberty

Has anyone finished all the gaame in pure/survival? I got slapped in pure mode and I wasn't even at level 50

Yes, the ost is faboulous. more people should have enjoyed this masterpiece

That's my fault, it's been available for a few weeks and I've been horrible on updating the OT :(

Dude - you made a fucking incredible OT, no worries. I just want people to experience this OST, it's phenomenal.

Also I feel like the more I bump this thread the more likely people will play this game :|

Havoc2049

For all you Tempest, Tempest 2000 and TxK fans out there....The rare print ad for the PC version of Tempest 2000 from Atari Interactive. This was near the very end of Atari Corp (the REAL Atari, not the name posers since), right before they ceased operations and merged with JTS Corp in 1996.

Kinda cool ad...
AIT2K.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
How did I miss this game? I think that I can now retire my Jaguar to storage. Vita is now my Tempest machine.

panda-zebra

Banned
Not played in some time, work leaves me too tired for a game like TxK, frustrating when I know I'm better than my tiredness allows.

But, one TxK pleasure lights up my day quite regularly, when Junosix's Noise Pulse makes its way to the top of the playlist when driving... the sun shining, windows down, cool breeze and then the uplifting rush as all the sparkly bounces out - every bit as exhilarating as TxK itself! That's when I often promise myself a blast on the game when I get home. Maybe I will over the long weekend :eek:)

Agent X

Awesome news! I already love this game on the little screen, but I also want to play it on the big screen.

I hope the Vita version gets a patch to fix the trophies, as a couple of them ("Long march" and "Ultra Survival") still appear to be unobtainable.

If anything else could be added, I'd also like a mode to play the bonus stages by themselves. Even if there was no scoring in this mode, it would be fun just to relax with the bonus stages, or use them as practice for the bonus stages in Pure/Classic modes.

Shaneus

I believe (don't ask me where I heard/read this) that cross-buy is up in the air... so it's possible, but it's also not. Depends on how different the titles are, it could be a Super Stardust-esque situation where the Vita version is different *enough* to the PS3 one for the dev to justify x-buy.

Number45

Will gladly download if cross-buy... and purchase again if not. I haven't played this as much as I'd like, but I'm more than happy to support the continued existence of games like this.

Shaneus

I would like some sort of DLC for this game. Likely new modes or gameplay elements.
I have a feeling the PS4 release will have some new/different content to the current Vita one, and that they'll be synchronised (feature-wise) to be the same. That's pure speculation though, nothing gospel at all.

Shawn6661

I ve tried level 63 (with 2 lives) like a hundred times now... Should i stop ? Its starting to drive me insane. Is there any cheat codes to unlock infinite lives or something ? I would love to see how crazy are the next levels !

I ve tried level 63 (with 2 lives) like a hundred times now... Should i stop ? Its starting to drive me insane. Is there any cheat codes to unlock infinite lives or something ? I would love to see how crazy are the next levels !

Yeah eventually the difficulty halted my progress too - I think somewhere in the mid 80s. It's an incredible, but it gets completely fucking insane in it's late stages.

GoaThief

Maybe go back a bit and play through some again and take more lives with you?

Hit a couple of points where I went in with one life so did the above and ended up with at least 5+. Made a huge difference, even in play because you're not so cagey and passive.

Reminds me I need to finish this, my favourite Vita game. Everything about it is fantastic.

Nuklear

Banned
My #1 and #2 hated enemies in this game are those stupid yellow things that electrify the grid and those Ox's that throw shit up at you when you shoot them. If it wasn't for those yellow things I think I would have gotten all the way to level 100 by now. They are my #1 cause of death and I try to kill them as soon as they pop up but it really gets hard to keep track of them.

cuilan

I finally picked this up earlier this month when it was on sale, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

I made it into the top 10 for Classic mode a few days ago, and am now going to focus almost entirely on improving my Pure and Survival mode scores. My Survival mode score is especially in need of improvement...

I just wish the game wasn't so buggy. The leaderboards also take an eternity to update themselves. I'm not too fond of the implementation of motion controls either.

I think Space Giraffe is the better game overall, mainly due to the deeper scoring system. Though the way in which TxK's gameplay is balanced probably makes it far less intimidating to get into. I really feel that both games would benefit greatly by having half as many levels, but this is especially true for TxK.

Shaneus

I think Space Giraffe is the better game overall, mainly due to the deeper scoring system. Though the way in which TxK's gameplay is balanced probably makes it far less intimidating to get into. I really feel that both games would benefit greatly by having half as many levels, but this is especially true for TxK.
Exactly right on your first point... one of Minter's justifications for doing a T2K sequel versus an SG sequel was ease of access to the casual player (something he figured stalled sales on Space Giraffe, from memory).

As for your latter point, I kind of agree... but I'd rather see a mode that lets you power through, say, 10 or 20 random levels rather than have to go through all 100 to register a "Pure" high score. Maybe even a playlist mode where you pick 10 levels yourself, send it to friends and see who can get the highest score (or a daily challenge mode in a similar vein, a la Spelunky or OlliOlli).

Nuklear

Banned
Exactly right on your first point... one of Minter's justifications for doing a T2K sequel versus an SG sequel was ease of access to the casual player (something he figured stalled sales on Space Giraffe, from memory).

As for your latter point, I kind of agree... but I'd rather see a mode that lets you power through, say, 10 or 20 random levels rather than have to go through all 100 to register a "Pure" high score. Maybe even a playlist mode where you pick 10 levels yourself, send it to friends and see who can get the highest score (or a daily challenge mode in a similar vein, a la Spelunky or OlliOlli).

You should tweet those idea's to Jeff. I'm sure he would at the very least would consider them.

This is a great idea. A song cluster or something, given it seems there's around 8-12 (?) levels per song.

Shaneus

This is a great idea. A song cluster or something, given it seems there's around 8-12 (?) levels per song.
That's even better! Or at least, easy enough to describe. But I also like maybe having themed or randomly selected playlists/chapters or something (all ribbon levels, all enclosed levels, all morphing levels etc.) and especially as a daily/weekly challenge.

Just not sure how I can word it to Jeff though :/

Edit: Done, kinda:
wXs6fUo.png

That's even better! Or at least, easy enough to describe. But I also like maybe having themed or randomly selected playlists/chapters or something (all ribbon levels, all enclosed levels, all morphing levels etc.) and especially as a daily/weekly challenge.

Just not sure how I can word it to Jeff though :/

Edit: Done, kinda:
wXs6fUo.png

Well I doubt he's going to implement exactly what we spell out :) just tweet the idea. Or link to the thread?

EDIT: Whoa, stealth update! Nice!

Duster

I got this when it came out and figured it would be a nice palate cleanser between other games. I liked all the pretty colours and soundtrack but couldn't quite grasp what the hell was going on a lot of the time.

Anyway...

Fast-forward a few months and it's finally clicked, it's one of the best games I've ever played to get you in the zone, or flow or whatever that concept is called. It's now the main course rather than the palate cleanser. I'll echo the love for AI Droid, it makes those yellow fuckers less of threat.
Plus now I'm better at it I get more of the funny text, it's all very British.

Some of the levels have got crazy, although the worst is an apparently simple one called The Plank, I have no idea what the idea behind it is as it just seems to screw up my movement, I get the feeling I may really struggle with the later levels.

Oh man... this game is something else!

I picked it up a couple of days ago, and it's just blowing me away. Love the soundtrack, love the visuals, and I feel the need for high scores calling me. I've even started playing it at the gym on the exercise bike which is a perfect fit. I put a bit of time into Space Giraffe in the early 360 days, but I never quite understood the scoring system. I always found it an intriguing and alluring game, but the extra accessibility here is doing wonders for me.

The only issue is my score doesn't seem to be on the leaderboards? I've heard it takes a while to update, but how long are we talking here?

Apart from that, I am going to hit this game hard. I'm going Pure all the way. This is the first game I've really wanted to score attack since Geometry Wars 2 (Pacifism). I stopped just shy of the top 100 on that game, but I'm hoping I can break on through here!

Duster

Finally beat the classic mode! It took a while but was well worth it, although I'm a little annoyed that despite just under 3% of us having done the same thing I still just missed out on a top 100 place on the leaderboard, it shouldn't be too hard to bump my score up a bit though.

BuzzJive

My Vita said there was a patch, but I'm unsure. Does anybody know if the Pure Trophy was ever fixed?

Also, how am I still in the top 10 on all 3 scoreboards? I was kinda surprised to see that. Maybe the influx of PS+ free users will produce a few more top tier players.

Shaneus

Didn't realise there was a patch. What's the version number on the title screen now?

I'll hunt down Minter's twitter and see if he mentions anything.

Edit: Um... the fuck? Minter posted a link to a review of the PC version?!?
Fake edit: Wait, never mind. It says in the last paragraph about it being the best shooter on the Vita, despite the header of the review saying "PC GAME REVIEWS". Fuck.

Shaneus

Bumping for all the folk now playing this via PS+. I might update the OP with new PSN IDs if we get enough newbies in this thread.

So as someone who's never played a Tempest or Space Giraffe, I am absolutely in love with this right now. I wanted to get it when the game first released but had to pass on it at the time. Boy was it worth the wait once it became free on PS+. Love the colors, the simplistic geometry, the speed, the throwback PS1 menus, etc. It's an absolute dream to play that has been on my mind all week.

My only issue right now is that none of my high scores are being uploaded online despite being connected to wi-fi at home on my Vita and pressing triangle to go online in the high scores menu. I vaguely remember reading in here that you had to beat the game in order for scores to go up, which was insane to me, but that doesn't seem to be the case(?) after skimming through pages today. Anyone know what's up? I definitely won't kill the game for me, but it's certainly bumming me out.

Edit - Wow, you guys weren't kidding about how long it takes to update. I think I've been sitting here playing every day since Tuesday to no avail and only now does it show my score online from a run I played an hour ago... Guess I'll start adding people!

mrsmr2

There is a lag between finishing a game and the scores getting posted on line.

Also, if you don't press a button to return to the menu after the game finishes, and let the game return to the menu on its own, the scores are not recorded locally either.

There is a lag between finishing a game and the scores getting posted on line.

Also, if you don't press a button to return to the menu after the game finishes, and let the game return to the menu on its own, the scores are not recorded locally either.

Yeah, I tend go to back to the menu after every game out of habit, but that's definitely good to know for the future.

Top Bottom