• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The whole thing ended up costing him more money than he made. He's quite vocal about it on Twitter. The mobile market quite literally went to shit between his first and last iOS game. It's a shame, Minotaur Rescue, GoatUp and Gridrunner in particular are amazing.

That's such a shame. Hopefully the PSN will be more profitable.

I'll probably suck at this game, but I've gotta a lot of respect for Jeff Minter. He's entertained me for decades now. From the VIC 20 to the PS Vita. I'm in, I'll pick it up on the Euro store tomorrow.

friz898

I had to pull out my Vita and dust off the cobwebs since Ys: Celceta. So it's charging right now.

So how much price and space is it on PSN?

friz898

$10 US. 102mb.
Downloading now wheeeee.

Amazing Price.

And great, my 4gb Mem Card that I bought on day 1 can still cut it for me.

Edit: Alright Minter, I bought it. I did my part. Thanks for making it, and thanks for making it a Vita-first game. I'm another one who first fell in love with this game on my Atari Jaguar.

How did I not know anything about this? I remember enjoying failing at the original in arcades as a kid.

I feel old realizing Tempest 2000 is older now than Tempest was in 1994.

What the hell, where is the PSPlus discount (NA)? Still not up?
Yeah looks like a glitch, I'd say give it some time. Should be $8 with Plus.
Lnf96ie.jpg

I might actually nab this, I have a lot of respect for Minter even though I generally find his games a little tough to get into. But from the article, this sounds like the perfect jump-in point for me. Gonna look so good on that OLED screen.

It was still glitching on the web store so I just bought it on the Vita.

OH YEAH THIS GAME IS IT.

My history: I bought a Jag for Tempest 2K when they cut the system price from $250 to $180 and included free T2K. At this time I also had an original Tempest cab in my living room. I also bought a NUON and Tempest 3000, some regret, but I sold it for more than I paid for it when NUON's went scarce.

Shaneus

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll update all the IDs in the OP either in a few hours or tonight when I get home.
I'd re-label that PSN ID's since gamertag is associated with XBL.

Same PSN as here for me.

Game looks eye melting.
Eh, I'm of the mind that the term "gamertag" is synonymous with any gamer's tags, just like "Biro" is synonymous with ballpoint pens, "Sharpie" is synonymous with markers and "Liquid Paper" is synonymous with correction fluid.

That, and I don't think I can be bothered going into Paint.NET *again* to do another header ;)

How did I not know anything about this? I remember enjoying failing at the original in arcades as a kid.

I feel old realizing Tempest 2000 is older now than Tempest was in 1994.
Holy shit. Tweeting this to Minter, I think he'd be as equally blown away.

Safe to say that the legacy of T2K is greater than that of the original Tempest?

What the hell, where is the PSPlus discount (NA)? Still not up?
Spend the extra $2, support awesome game developers making unique stuff for the Vita!

It was still glitching on the web store so I just bought it on the Vita.

OH YEAH THIS GAME IS IT.

My history: I bought a Jag for Tempest 2K when they cut the system price from $250 to $180 and included free T2K. At this time I also had an original Tempest cab in my living room. I also bought a NUON and Tempest 3000, some regret, but I sold it for more than I paid for it when NUON's went scarce.
Wow. Respect. Still have the original Tempest?

That'd be a great mod, actually... Tempest 2K cab. I wonder if there'd be a way to code a version of T2K that is actually vector graphics suitable for a MAME cab? Obviously not with the shading etc., but with the gameplay and (obviously) music.

Wow. Respect. Still have the original Tempest?

That'd be a great mod, actually... Tempest 2K cab. I wonder if there'd be a way to code a version of T2K that is actually vector graphics suitable for a MAME cab? Obviously not with the shading etc., but with the gameplay and (obviously) music.

I had to sell my Tempest and Asteroids a few years back due to moving.

I think the best way to do a Tempest 2K cab would be with the Project Tempest emulator and a really bright high-res raster monitor. You'll never get that game's output tweaked to drive an X-Y monitor; forget the shading, the flyback transformers wouldn't be able to handle the pixel shatter effects, they can only move those electron beams so fast.

Chucker

Been playing since I got home, this is EVERYTHING I'd want in a Tempest 2000 sequel. The gameplay, the YES YES YES YES YES the music.

Oh man, the music.

PSN-ID: ChuxBuster

Edit: Any news on an OST release?

So people are playing this already, yet there are precious few reviews. Even Metacritic doesn't have a page up for the game yet. Did Sony not send out versions to the press?

Shaneus

So people are playing this already, yet there are precious few reviews. Even Metacritic doesn't have a page up for the game yet. Did Sony not send out versions to the press?
Jeff himself said on his Twitter that he'd been flooded with requests for review codes. Shame that we don't seem to have seen much come from that :/

He's the one supplying everyone with them, so if reviews aren't appearing on your favorite site... I'd blame them. I mean, it's not exactly the sort of game that requires weeks of intense playtime to review appropriately.

Thought at least Eurogamer and Giant Bomb would've been all over this shit.

Number45

Jeff himself said on his Twitter that he'd been flooded with requests for review codes. Shame that we don't seem to have seen much come from that :/

He's the one supplying everyone with them, so if reviews aren't appearing on your favorite site... I'd blame them. I mean, it's not exactly the sort of game that requires weeks of intense playtime to review appropriately.

Thought at least Eurogamer and Giant Bomb would've been all over this shit.
Yup, he's posted loads of reviews throughout the day. No idea why it hasn't been picked up by some of the bigger sites. :/

Also not listed on Metacritic yet that I can see.

VanWinkle

Oh man, never played Tempest (though I had a Jaguar, weirdly enough), but this game is awesome once you start to learn the mechanics.

Bummer, not sure how it happened, but they charged me 9.99 rather than 7.99 for the game (I'm PS Plus). The game is worth more than 9.99 anyway, but I want the price my peeps are paying.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
this is the best game.

my god i've never seen such sharp, colorful vectors... seeing it on your tv/monitor does not do it justice.

I wish the tutorial levels were separate because they're kind of slow and a drag to play from pure. Enjoying this quite a bit despite being awful :D

Shaneus

Everyone stop playing until us Aussies get it :(

Btw I'm seeing some fresh faces in this thread... make sure you post your PSN IDs for leaderboard shenanigans!

Top Bottom