• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Travado

New games already confirmed for the NX: "Get fit with Samus Aran" and "Imagine: Shulk and friends"

That's it, folks, the dream is dead!
again

Gutss

watched a news on youtube saying Take2 rockstar very interested on nx, now thats not some casual games, really interesting, devs liking the magic sauce nintendos cooking.

LordRaptor

watched a news on youtube saying Take2 rockstar very interested on nx, now thats not some casual games, really interesting, devs liking the magic sauce nintendos cooking.

Well you might think that, but...

New-Carnival-Games-BUNDLE_WII_US_FINAL.jpg

Alienous

The same Take Two whose parents were killed by VR?

Are they pro-Nintendo or still just against VR?

Oersted

New games already confirmed for the NX: "Get fit with Samus Aran" and "Imagine: Shulk and friends"

That's it, folks, the dream is dead!
again

Recatching the Wii audience according to Ubisoft,Take Two being very interested instead remaining sceptical... could be worse.

MDave

Wii 3 incoming!

I wouldn't mind to be honest, as long as they actually perfect the motion controllers. Something like the Oculus Touch controllers. That, and making the console on par with Xbox One would be enough for me.

When will they learn. Wii was a novelty and people bought it for the novelty games with the wifi remote. That's why the same people never bought the wii u and will not buy the nx

Jasper

The only thing I can think of that may possibly recapture the casual market for Nintendo, is hologram technology (which Nintendo in fact recently patented).

npatent1.jpg

If somehow akin to the 3DS's 3D capabilities, Nintendo can create an impressive hologram capable gaming system to work on a standard television (and at a reasonable price unlike say a PS4+PSVR combo), then I think it might work in recapturing the casual market.

Might I add, I don't think a gimmick like this would ever be a success for a Sony or Microsoft console, but proper 3D gaming implementation combined with Nintendo franchise games like Zelda/Mario Kart/Pokemon/Super Mario, etc...can be a winning combo.

L Thammy

I know I'm coming in late to this conversation, but... man, as long as they focus on someone. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've said this either. The Wii exploded because they focused on the casual market and did it well. The PS4 exploded because they focused on the core market and did it well. Then you have the Wii U and the Xbox One, where they were trying to sell it to everyone by explaining that it was a thing that played video games television sports with a voice operated tablet controller and they ended up satisfying nobody because who was that even for.

Iwata used to constantly spout this idea that casual gamers could be turned into core gamers. I don't think I've ever seen that work and Nintendo certainly didn't make it work, so I'd rather they not try it again unless they figure out what arcane magicks they need to set in place to turn lead into gold. There are whales in the mobile market, but I don't think think the people who get addicted to little purchases are the same people who spend two hundred bucks on a game with a special edition artbook and a statuette of a headless bikini-wearing zombie.

geordiemp

Wii 3 incoming!

I wouldn't mind to be honest, as long as they actually perfect the motion controllers. Something like the Oculus Touch controllers. That, and making the console on par with Xbox One would be enough for me.

Agree, I have zero interest in the WiiU, but a Wii with absolute (not mouse like but calibrated 1;1 with your TV size) would be great.

Bring back the light gun games (which never really felt right on Wii with relative movements).

I would but a second console just for light gun done right.

Gutss

Maybe red dead redemption 3 trailer is delayed is cause they change there mind and will first seen on nx reveal day? if that happened it can make a good impression on other devs and follow tru.

I love all these "can't believe they haven't learned" posts which completely ignore the Wii U was created as a console for the core gamer first, with Nintendo hoping the casual market would come along due to the Wii name. It was clearly a horrible idea and it blew up in their faces.

But the only times where Nintendo have actually designed the console to focus specifically on the casual market (Wii/DS) they have had massive, MASSIVE success. With a lot of core gamers getting hyped about Zelda BotW and Nintendo potentially coming out with another Wii-like gimmick, an NX around PS4 level could do gangbusters.

Could being key word.

Oregano

I think people need to at least let them announce before dismissing it outright. There's is nothing conceptually wrong with the concept of the gamepad. It's a traditional controller with an added screen. What went wrong is that the technology is limited and expensive and Nintendo undershot what horsepower developers needed to produce the content they want. It is totally possible(maybe even likely) that Nintendo will make those exact same mistakes again but its also possible they find a cheaper, less limited USP and also release a console that meets developers requirements.

Hell if they hadn't boneheadedly insisted on keeping PPC design and a super low power consumption the Wii U might have been in a much better position with a lot more software support. It wasn't all the gamepad's fault.

AniHawk

I love all these "can't believe they haven't learned" posts which completely ignore the Wii U was created as a console for the core gamer first, with Nintendo hoping the casual market would come along due to the Wii name. It was clearly a horrible idea and it blew up in their faces.

But the only times where Nintendo have actually designed the console to focus specifically on the casual market (Wii/DS) they have had massive, MASSIVE success. With a lot of core gamers getting hyped about Zelda BotW and Nintendo potentially coming out with another Wii-like gimmick, an NX around PS4 level could do gangbusters.

Could being key word.

both 3ds and wii u were attempts to bridge the markets, using more gimmicky means than their predecessors to get people on board. motion controls and touch screens were not widespread technology in 2006 and 2004, but nintendo's software helped make sense of it in entertainment and paved the way for other applications.

i think there is a lot to be said for where the market is, and who were buying wii and ds systems. and i think that yes - a lot of people are either on mobile or pc now, but that doesn't mean everyone is. i feel like there's a really underserved market that was ignored right about 2012 that might be interested in something interesting, new, and accessible. what that is, i don't know. nintendo needs to actually be sure to believe in it this time though. with the 3ds and the wii u, they didn't have stuff at launch to justify their hardware decisions and only two years after each platform launched they had stuff that made some more sense (a link between worlds for 3ds, and splatoon and mario maker for wii u).

that said, for those expecting a lot of third-party support: i wouldn't. instead, i would look at what they're doing with 3ds in western markets as an indication of nintendo moving forward: they'll be more or less curating a library of exclusives from third-parties to play to their strengths. i think they were hurt by the initial promise of support for 3ds and wii u devolving rapidly into what eventually turned out for each platform, and want to better manage expectations this time around for all parties involved.

Give me a cheap machine , on par with a ps4 , backwards compatable and throw in a few packin wiiugames I would buy it instantly .

My kids still love some of the wii games and out of all the machines they still have the most family friendly games , they have a large catalogue of amazing wiiu games that majority never played , if they pack them in it would provide great value for parents / buyers .

Plus with the new zelda looking amazing , an upgraded nx version on release would be a huge drawcard.

Vex_

Banned
Interesting that ubi of all publishers are saying this...

Especially after the way they dogged the wii u. Man ubi is so shady lol!

Saoshyant

Nintendo went casual long ago.

Indeed, just look at this stuff:

A robot toy? A toy gun you point at the TV??

bTn83Er.jpg

A modem for mom to check her banking account from home??

0ITCBob.jpg

Tetris?? My aunt won't give my Game Boy back!

pd8oTXr.jpg

Edutainment? They are doing edutainment now??

Nintendo does NOT respect true gamers with all their casual products. You'd imagine they would have changed course by now, but nope, after all this time they still refuse to see the light. They are doomed to be irrelevant.

Thank god Sega has Mortal Kombat with full blood. I'd never play it censored on the SNE--

...Wait, what year is this again? Oh. Oh dear, I grew up to be a grumpy old man. Don't end up like me, everyone.

both 3ds and wii u were attempts to bridge the markets, using more gimmicky means than their predecessors to get people on board. motion controls and touch screens were not widespread technology in 2006 and 2004, but nintendo's software helped make sense of it in entertainment and paved the way for other applications.

i think there is a lot to be said for where the market is, and who were buying wii and ds systems. and i think that yes - a lot of people are either on mobile or pc now, but that doesn't mean everyone is. i feel like there's a really underserved market that was ignored right about 2012 that might be interested in something interesting, new, and accessible. what that is, i don't know. nintendo needs to actually be sure to believe in it this time though. with the 3ds and the wii u, they didn't have stuff at launch to justify their hardware decisions and only two years after each platform launched they had stuff that made some more sense (a link between worlds for 3ds, and splatoon and mario maker for wii u).

that said, for those expecting a lot of third-party support: i wouldn't. instead, i would look at what they're doing with 3ds in western markets as an indication of nintendo moving forward: they'll be more or less curating a library of exclusives from third-parties to play to their strengths. i think they were hurt by the initial promise of support for 3ds and wii u devolving rapidly into what eventually turned out for each platform, and want to better manage expectations this time around for all parties involved.

They initially talked about the Wii U and the 3DS as core-focused consoles, and you're definitely right that the various features involved in both were attempts to bridge the market, but if you look at the software at launch (and for a while after) for both consoles, they were essentially "core" titles. There was nothing like Wii Sports, even Warioware took forever to come out on Wii U. I think this is where we have confirmation that they've improved- the 3DS struggling severely hampered potential Wii U software, and building a common ecosystem immediately solves that issue.

As for third party support I totally agree. I expect some token efforts at launch and possibly a Ubisoft exclusive like BGE2 but after that, unless the console really takes off in a Wii or PS4 like way, we shouldn't expect any more. I think Nintendo knows this though, that they need the install base before third parties will offer support based on recent comments, and presumably they're preparing enough of their own software to help build that install base. That and Japanese third parties should help pad out the launch a bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

What? Where is this from?

Peltz

I guess Nintendo is just the gimmick company, now.

Touch screen, motion controls, 3D, console touch screen.

I don't know what gimmick they can come up with next, especially if they want to appeal to families. Their best bet would probably be heavy motion controls again, though the novelty may have worn off.

Ubisoft pledging Just Dance ahead (and instead) of anything else also makes me think it'll be another motion control gimmick.

It really is going to be interesting. How can they come up with a truly new way to play games that is conceptually different from their earlier hardware, that can still play titles like Zelda:Breath of the Wild?

I hope that we see something as fresh, innovative, shocking, and intuitive as the Wii remote. The Gamepad was a really poor follow up to what made the Wii so special.

I do think that Nintendo is capable of shocking us like that again. And I do not necessarily think that the innovation needs to come from their controller for them to blaze trails again. I'm dying to see the NX at this point.

Personally, I think that the notion of winning back casuals from mobile gaming is, um, very optimistic, but the more intriguing part is that Corre doesn't seem to think that the oft-discussed dream of a Nintendo Corebox (Mario + Zelda + every major multiplat) is happening.

It's all about exclusives nowadays anyway. Third-party titles pale in comparison to a solid first-party exclusive like Mario, Zelda, inFamous, Ratchet And Clank, Halo, etc. I couldn't care less if NX doesn't get every Far Cry, Call of Duty clone out there.

Namikaze

Good luck Nintendo, in my experience, the Wii audience is either on PS4 now (I've had friends tell me how much they want a PS4 or out of nowhere bought one) or mobile phones.

Saoshyant

It really is going to be interesting. How can they come up with a truly new way to play games that is conceptually different from their earlier hardware, that can still play titles like Zelda:Breath of the Wild?

I guess people are afraid it would be similar to a Gamecube to Wii situation, which similarly had a multi-platform Zelda release. But thing is, NX could never be too "gimmicky" no matter what since they seem to have the intention on building on it as a platform from here onward, including mobile and home. You couldn't do that sort of thing with the Wii or the Virtual Boy or even the old DS. It has to stay simple: one screen, buttons, nothing that could be a bother to carry around, etc.

I think people should just chill out and wait for the reveal. What's the point of freaking out over rumors and hearsay? Or in this particular case, a statement from someone on Ubisoft saying that Nintendo wants to get all the people they lost in the transition from the Wii to the U. Of course they do! That was a ridiculous number of consumers they lost. I'd want to get those back too if I were them. But it doesn't mean anything in the end.

hokahey

They need to do now what they should have done with WiiU. Make a new Wii with perfect motion controls, anf advertise the shit out of it to families, just like they did with "We would like to play." Back it up with great games and all will be well.

My bet Nintendo is gonna drop a handheld hybrid system. Like most people have been guessing. It's on part with current ps4 it will sell. I think the mid generation upgrade so eyes and Ms are doing is going to give Nintendo the room they need to steal people away.

MuchoMalo

Banned
My bet Nintendo is gonna drop a handheld hybrid system. Like most people have been guessing. It's on part with current ps4 it will sell. I think the mid generation upgrade so eyes and Ms are doing is going to give Nintendo the room they need to steal people away.

It's physically impossible to make a handheld even half as powerful as PS4, even in 2017. 2018 might be enough... for it to be half as powerful as PS4 if using a 10nm process.

blackjaw

I gave up on the Wii after two years, never got a Wii U, even though I've owned every Nintendo console since NES and bought each one after NES on launch day.

This does not look to pull me back in.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Sounds great. I would like something everybody can enjoy.

Kimawolf

If Zelda is the direction they are going count me in. They said they are making a lot more "big" games like Zelda. And Miyamoto said he's doing the same thing Zelda did with Mario.

So we have their words, and proof of said change vs Just Dance boss.

I personally will take them at their words. They have changed.

Dubz

Games for kids is an underserved market on consoles. Almost all the big AAA games I see are marketed for adults. Let's hope Nintendo can capture kids imaginations once again

Akhe

Guys, I think we are jumping to conclusions here. Reggie just don't care about it, even if it is a hell of harware, But, who knows.

Alebrije

The moment when I hear CDPR,Rockstar,Bethesda and From are working with Nintendo; will be when the NX will have a chance to compete

Ubi is not a good reference , we just need to see what happned after ZombiU, and a Dance game is not enough.

Its good to see they trying to do something different but it does not means they can not work with more Western developers or even japanese ones like From or Square Enix.

Mithos

The moment when I hear CDPR,Rockstar,Bethesda and From are working with Nintendo; will be when the NX will have a chance to compete

Ubi is not a good reference , we just need to see what happned after ZombiU, and a Dance game is not enough.

Its good to see they trying to do something different but it does not means they can not work with more Western developers or even japanese ones like From or Square Enix.

Indeed, we need to hear, Witcher 3, GTA 5 "NX" Edition, Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 etc etc. Carnival Games and the likes NOT SO MUCH.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Games for kids is an underserved market on consoles. Almost all the big AAA games I see are marketed for male adolescents. Let's hope Nintendo can capture kids imaginations once again
FTFY

Kouriozan

Indeed, we need to hear, Witcher 3, GTA 5 "NX" Edition, Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 etc etc. Carnival Games and the likes NOT SO MUCH.
Even then it's going to be late ports, the same type of port that bombed on Wii U.
Honestly, don't expect 3rd party support at all on NX, the audience won't be there.

Alebrije

Games for kids is an underserved market on consoles. Almost all the big AAA games I see are marketed for adults. Let's hope Nintendo can capture kids imaginations once again

Endeed

Kids are on tablets , Nintendo need to approach the Adult market since is the one that play on consoles

Nintendo should see this video :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMRnlWf2P0

Most of those people are adults and surely play Souls games and other stuff. You need to be 17 years old to go E3 bit most of the people o the video is over 20s

Oregano

Even if Nintendo released a Scorpio class console for $250 with XBL class online with no fee and marketed heavily to core audiences you wouldn't be getting that support any time soon. They're going to have to build up no matter what. We'll have to see what the publishers they already have existing ties to are willing to throw their way first and then more importantly they need to be shown those efforts are worthwhile.

Sadist

At this point in time, which titles are actually confirmed?

Except for Zelda BotW, Dragon Quest XI (sort of) and Just Dance there haven't been any other confirmations, right?

Plus, I always think that Nintendo has another view of games which can be enjoyed by "the family". I assume they'll won't try again with the Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Party type of titles again. Seeing their output for the past couple of years, I'd say they want more platformers, adventure and the like on their systems.

Top Bottom