• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Wiped89

People here seem to want Nintendo to release a super-amazing Scorpio/Neo-beating Uberconsole while also remaining $199 or less.

It's not going to happen. Accept it, Nintendo is not where you go for the latest graphics tech.

Nintendo is where you go for creative, polished experiences with - yes - a family friendly element in most cases. They are the Disney/Pixar of gaming. Nintendo will likely target the console at families and young players and that's fine.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. That isn't to say you can't enjoy what they will put out (Zelda: Breath of the Wild, anyone?) but you have to accept that this is what Nintendo is. If you want a PS4... go out and buy one.

-MB-

People here seem to want Nintendo to release a super-amazing Scorpio/Neo-beating Uberconsole while also remaining $199 or less.

It's not going to happen. Accept it, Nintendo is not where you go for the latest graphics tech.

Nintendo is where you go for creative, polished experiences with - yes - a family friendly element in most cases. They are the Disney/Pixar of gaming. Nintendo will likely target the console at families and young players and that's fine.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. That isn't to say you can't enjoy what they will put out (Zelda: Breath of the Wild, anyone?) but you have to accept that this is what Nintendo is. If you want a PS4... go out and buy one.

Some people will never accept this fact, and likely would rather see Nintendo disappear then.

Alienous

If Nintendo want to be viable, and also decide against making a console that third-parties can effortlessly support, they need to increase their output significantly.

Joining the handheld and home-console libraries would be one step. They'd also need to increase the high profile releases (a Zelda release every two/three years instead of five, same with Mario). It would also mean they'd need to strike many more Bayonetta 2 type deals.

They could have a viable future creating a Nintendo console, divorced from third-party and simply the only box you can get Mario, Zelda and their other high-profile IP. It'd need to reach toy pricing (< $250) to do so, though.

Azoo

Neo Member
I feel like even if the next console is on the same tier as PS4/XB1, it can still make it to the <$250 mark. The Xbox One S is gonna be $299 and the regular model is probably going to drop really soon with it, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Regular controller, small box, 250GB all sounds possible (at least to a layman).

Agreed. I mean, I do think they need better third party support-- but I agree.

Jubenhimer

Is anyone really surprised by this? Nintendo's at it's most successful when they target the whole family. The Famicom, Game Boy, DS, and Wii were all built on universal appeal. It's a shame people just want keep Nintendo in a box.

elchebib

Ubisoft was the only developer who announced a title for the NX. And its a Just Dance title.

All of the other developers did not even hint anything about the NX. Even titles scheduled for release in Spring 2017 did not mention the NX as a platform.

This would either mean that Nintendo doesn't want them to talk about it or that these games won't run on the system.

Ubisoft was the only developer who announced a title for the NX. And its a Just Dance title.

All of the other developers did not even hint anything about the NX. Even titles scheduled for release in Spring 2017 did not mention the NX as a platform.

This would either mean that Nintendo doesn't want them to talk about it or that these games won't run on the system.

...or, y'know, that it says nothing at all either way about whether those games can run on NX, but rather about whether publishers see NX as commercially viable for them.

Seriously, have you forgotten how many PS3/360 titles were confirmed to not be coming to Wii U before the system even launched?

Seriously, have you forgotten how many PS3/360 titles were confirmed to not be coming to Wii U before the system even launched?

Plus, there were a ton of third party games that skipped Gamecube during the entire second half of the sixth generation, even though almost all of them would have been able to run on that console just fine.

Power has never been the reason third parties have skipped out on Nintendo consoles and it truly baffles me that the oppostive narrative still exists.

elchebib

...or, y'know, that it says nothing at all either way about whether those games can run on NX, but rather about whether publishers see NX as commercially viable for them.

That could be true. And I guess that boils down to Nintendo's decision not to show anything until later about the NX which is a whole different topic.

Seeing Ubisoft confident about NX is a good sign.

Yep. People set their expectations to the impossible and then get pissed off later when they inevitably don't get what they want. The sooner people realize Nintendo is just going to keep doing its own thing, the less angry and bitter the reaction they'll have later.

Honestly, I don't understand why you'd WANT a third clone of the same thing. Most Nintendo fans that I know of already own a PS4 or XBO. I'd prefer Nintendo do something different than the machines I already own.

what-ok

Seeing Ubisoft confident about NX is a good sign.

Yep. People set their expectations to the impossible and then get pissed off later when they inevitably don't get what they want. The sooner people realize Nintendo is just going to keep doing its own thing, the less angry and bitter the reaction they'll have later.

Honestly, I don't understand why you'd WANT a third clone of the same thing. Most Nintendo fans that I know of already own a PS4 or XBO. I'd prefer Nintendo do something different than the machines I already own.

THIS!!!! Best post. (=

I feel like even if the next console is on the same tier as PS4/XB1, it can still make it to the <$250 mark. The Xbox One S is gonna be $299 and the regular model is probably going to drop really soon with it, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Regular controller, small box, 250GB all sounds possible (at least to a layman).

I believe the regular model just had a small price drop to $280, and can be found at that price bundled with multiple games. Its going to have to launch at $250 or less if the regular xbox one is only $30 above that with games, months before NX releases.

Banned

It's the former.

Ubisoft gonna ubisoft.

Bioshocker

So true. And still, everytime Nintendo is about to announce a new console people keep screaming about specs. We should know by now that a Nintendo console isn't going to beat the Xbox and PlayStation consoles out there.

I believe the NX will be a family oriented console, at best comparable with Xbox One specs wise, with a little different controller compared to the DualShock or Xbox controller (although not as strange or different as the Wiimote or the Gamepad). It won't get the same third party support as Xbox and PlayStation, or even near it, but a few big publishers will support it and, if it does well, keep doing so. If you like Nintendo games, you'll buy it.

Jubenhimer

If the NX is going to capture families, then it needs to be a REAL family system with a diverse line up of games. On the Wii, you had everything from arcade racers, to colorful platformers, to quirky puzzle games, light gun shooters, and even fitness games. Sure it didn't get your AAA blockbusters, but it truly did have something for everyone, The Wii U doesn't, all it really appeals to is the nichest of niche gamers plus a few kids. It lacks the diversity, simplicity, and user-friendliness the Wii had. So if you want to target the family, go all in, don't half ass it like the Wii U.

I saw this on another forum while browsing some website, apologies for bringing it here and thanks to the original author but I really think they have some great valid points!

It was from a guy or girl called golden elf so thank you for this.

This is a discussion on Nintendo's blue sky approach.

I think the main takeaway that "blue ocean" doesn't mean "only casual", especially since the "casual" market is being dominated by Apple and phone companies.

I think Nintendo understands this and will probably target a different market altogether. Back before Wii, no one in video games would've said "Hmm, I think we can make money off the 50+ year old market". Likewise, there's probably a market out there that we're not considering at all. It could very well be the female market. To date, in spite of what all the polls say, the video game industry (not the smartphone industry) doesn't really market well to females. If Nintendo can make a console for the "hardcore female gamer", it could be onto something.

(NOTE: I'm not trying to be drawn into a "women debate" here, I'm just using the female market as an example. Another example would be a console primarily for cat owners. But that would be silly.)

I also think the problem is that "hardcore gamers" as a label is really talking about those 15 year olds. They are bread and butter for the industry to be sure, but they're not the ones paying for the games and consoles. That would be their parents, generally. So to speculate further, Nintendo may well be making a game console for "everyone except the hardcore gamers" and, like you suggest, could be THE console for people with the widest range of tastes. You miss out on Call of Duty 207: Advanced Pest Control, but you gain more mature, well rounded experiences.

Who knows?

I think this was *spot on* and captured what I consider is what Nintendo are targeting!

I have looked at Playstation/Xbone and the only games that really get me excited are- God of War (a new beginning) Spiderman! and of course the last guardian! Everything else is shoot em up! Journey (wannabees) or last of us style !! which I consider the only one's capable of continuing that saga is of course naughty dog.

PSVR was not as good as what I had expected. Not a believer in this tech till it goes mainstream and by that I mean launched and selling tons!

So Nintendo for me is where the future will be, and if we get a machine that is new and as kimishima says is a new way to play games, gives us new I.ps and above all keeps stuff FUN I am all in. I am totally bored with shoot em ups or FPS to be exact!

Plus if Nintendo does BRING BACK THE CLASSICS in a new exciting way I am all in!

BBTC

Neifirst

Yuji Horii let slip that Dragon Quest X and XI will come to NX, and NoA's Scott Moffitt specifically mentioned Warner Bros (yawn) and Capcom (!!!) as partners when referring to NX. I think it's realistic to expect NX to get 3rd party support on the level of 3DS - a few Western-developed games, indie support, and a fairly robust supply of niche Japanese-developed games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This is fine. Some folks just need to accept that Nintendo and the kiddie label it gets applies and is warranted then.

Cant have it both ways.

Some people will never accept this fact, and likely would rather see Nintendo disappear then.

But is it a guarantee that they will disappear if they tried to chase the PS, Xbox crowd? I dont think so just like I dont think their quality would suffer from going 3rd party.

I mean if Nintendo is going after the family market thats fine. But if 2 players can target the other markets why not 3? It wouldnt be easy but if Nintendo is business saavy enough they could.

I'm just saying I dont think any company is so rigid and inflexible that they cant adapt. Maybe Nintendo is that company. Who knows.

If BB can try to survive by going Android....anything's possible.

If Apple can offer lower priced models at launch and be on more than 1 carrier and those carriers include pre paid....anything's possible.

If Apple can launch a big screen phone and a smaller tablet...anythings possible.

Nokia once said using Android was like peeing in your pants to stay warm.....Since then they have released at least 1 Android device and plan on coming back by licensing their name to Android devices. IIRC.

If Nintendo can dip their toes into mobile gaming and Sony charge for online MP.....

Anything's possible.

Its not so much ppl want to see Nintendo disappear...some just want a Nintendo console to be their only choice for every gaming, console experience. And thats fine. Its just a long shot of that ever happening anytime soon if ever.

SerTapTap

What ubisoft means here is their expectations are completely insane and they're going to drop support once it's clear that their asinine predictions were wrong. The only question is whether they're actually insane or just giving themselves a pre-fab excuse to drop support so they don't get yelled at as much.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I saw this on another forum while browsing some website, apologies for bringing it here and thanks to the original author but I really think they have some great valid points!

It was from a guy or girl called golden elf so thank you for this.

This is a discussion on Nintendo's blue sky approach.

I think the main takeaway that "blue ocean" doesn't mean "only casual", especially since the "casual" market is being dominated by Apple and phone companies.

I think Nintendo understands this and will probably target a different market altogether. Back before Wii, no one in video games would've said "Hmm, I think we can make money off the 50+ year old market". Likewise, there's probably a market out there that we're not considering at all. It could very well be the female market. To date, in spite of what all the polls say, the video game industry (not the smartphone industry) doesn't really market well to females. If Nintendo can make a console for the "hardcore female gamer", it could be onto something.

(NOTE: I'm not trying to be drawn into a "women debate" here, I'm just using the female market as an example. Another example would be a console primarily for cat owners. But that would be silly.)

I also think the problem is that "hardcore gamers" as a label is really talking about those 15 year olds. They are bread and butter for the industry to be sure, but they're not the ones paying for the games and consoles. That would be their parents, generally. So to speculate further, Nintendo may well be making a game console for "everyone except the hardcore gamers" and, like you suggest, could be THE console for people with the widest range of tastes. You miss out on Call of Duty 207: Advanced Pest Control, but you gain more mature, well rounded experiences.

Who knows?

I think this was *spot on* and captured what I consider is what Nintendo are targeting!

I have looked at Playstation/Xbone and the only games that really get me excited are- God of War (a new beginning) Spiderman! and of course the last guardian! Everything else is shoot em up! Journey (wannabees) or last of us style !! which I consider the only one's capable of continuing that saga is of course naughty dog.

PSVR was not as good as what I had expected. Not a believer in this tech till it goes mainstream and by that I mean launched and selling tons!

So Nintendo for me is where the future will be, and if we get a machine that is new and as kimishima says is a new way to play games, gives us new I.ps and above all keeps stuff FUN I am all in. I am totally bored with shoot em ups or FPS to be exact!

Plus if Nintendo does BRING BACK THE CLASSICS in a new exciting way I am all in!

BBTC

hardcore gamers are in there 20s and 30s. Some even in the 40s.

MDave

The "family market" huh? NX Sports, NX Fit and NX Dance? Wiimote and Kinect all over again? As long as its really 1:1 this time ...

Apt101

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games

Or if they're like virtually every casual game player I work with and know, they're still actually playing their Wii's. I was surprised to find out how many thought the Wii U was just some kind of upgrade to the Wii, even years after it launched.

doofy102

I'm glad Nintendo is still trying to give us new ways of playing video games. Who else would even dare? (Unless it's some predictable thing like VR.)

Raziel

It's not fine at all. The demand/market for a family box is small and getting smaller in the console space. Nintendo should probably be the ones to accept that.

yes that's the only thing I did not quite agree with that *hardcore* are more liketwenty something etc! not 15 year olds.
However 40-50 onwards do appreciate the *gameplay and craft that goes into Nintendo games as they remember the golden days of gaming , where programmers/musicians/graphics where either all done by same person or a group of upto 5 people!

Just imagine a monty mole or *thing on a spring* Trap* Wizball* Uridium, Paradroid, Parallax etc etc ! All done with the graphics of today but with the tight gameplay of the days gone by!

This is what Nintendo reminds me of! Plus local player! How many family's still love playing together, or spouses joining in with the hubbys instead of being rooms apart!

I think if Nintendo can hit this market , well the skys the limit!

BBTC

I cannot wait for the reveal and I think we will soon get some idea of when that will be!

I would love to have a poll of what Nintendo games would people like to see a total re-write of?

I will start this off with-

New Wave race
Cruisin
Pilot wings nx
Kid Icarus
Mario 3d NX
Mario nx galaxy
Mario nx sunshine or all combined!
Brand new Ghosts n ghouls/goblins co-developed with Capcom.

Take my money if you have all or some of these!

BBTC

It's not fine at all. The demand/market for a family box is small and getting smaller in the console space. Nintendo should probably be the ones to accept that.

What other market are they supposed to target, though? It's easy to say that they should compete for the Sony/MS market instead, but the fact is that they have abysmal relations with most of the AAA third parties, no existing first-party IP with demonstrable appeal to the Sony/MS demographic, and no first-party studios besides maybe Retro that would even be capable of creating such IP.

I've made no secret that I'm pretty bearish on the future of Nintendo's hardware business no matter what, but they at least have a slim chance of rejuvenating the family/kids/casual dedicated hardware market, which is better than no chance at all of making real inroads in the Sony/MS market.

Jubenhimer

Or if they're like virtually every casual game player I work with and know, they're still actually playing their Wii's. I was surprised to find out how many thought the Wii U was just some kind of upgrade to the Wii, even years after it launched.
Yeah, I don't buy this whole "casuals played Wii Sports and got bored" because it doesn't add up. Not only did the Wii have a pretty high software attach ratio (8.89 IIRC), But there's also no evidence to support that casual gamers stopped playing their Wii's. It feels like some BS made up by the "hardcorez"

I guess it depends how everything is packaged and comes together. I think a family box can still sell well if priced right, advertised well and as the software to go with it.

Personally i don't think it is a lost market at all.

fallingdove

Nintendo has always been after the exact same audience from the very start.

I don't know that I would agree with that. The NES, SNES, and N64 days felt like a very different Nintendo. 1st Party, 3rd party, single player, multiplayer, families and mature audiences were all covered.

Today, 1st Party and families seem like the priority.

There are as many NX games announced by Nintendo as there are from Ubisoft. Let that sink in for a second.

I don't know that I would agree with that. The NES, SNES, and N64 days felt like a very different Nintendo. 1st Party, 3rd party, single player, multiplayer, families and mature audiences were all covered.

Nintendo can't force 3rd parties to make games for their console. Neither can Sony. Don't blame Nintendo because of something outside their control. If you want 3rd party games on your Nintendo system confront the 3rd parties, not Nintendo.

The reason most games release on PS4 is that gamers demand it. It's called port begging and expressly forbidden on this forum, but it is what Nintendo gamers need to do in every interview of every publisher/developer who doesn't release their games on Nintendo systems until they are compelled to do so.

Jubenhimer

Have you forgotten that Nintendo's first console in Japan was literally called the "Family Computer"? The only reason Nintendo had all that 3rd party support back in the day on consoles was because of their Draconic and anti-competitive licensing policies back in the day. In other words, they cheated.

Jinketsu

But is that really the final chapter of casual gaming? I mean, why couldn't someone come up with a next thing? Why couldn't it be Nintendo?

The next thing has two different models and Nintendo won't be able to do it because of how versatile these models are.

They're called "iPhone" and "Android." The casual gaming market is pretty enamoured with a pocket-sized device that can handle phone calls, messaging, emails, tinder, snapchat, facebook, twitter, etc. etc. etc. as well as games. Why would the casual audience bother with A) a device that is forced onto your TV that likely won't also play DVDs or BluRays, or B) yet another device for your pocket that "pretty much just does what my phone can already do?"

MacTag

Banned
Have you forgotten that Nintendo's first console in Japan was literally called the "Family Computer"? The only reason Nintendo had all that 3rd party support back in the day on consoles was because of their Draconic and anti-competitive licensing policies back in the day. In other words, they cheated.
No, they had that support because Famicom/NES was a phenominal success and pretty much grew the Japanese industry and saved the US industry we've had since. They tried to strongarm publishers and retailers for sure but that wasn't cheating, it was business. And it backfired eventually anyway, first with Sega then more fatally with Sony.

Otnopolit

Until this bullshit distinction between "hardcore" and "casual" gamers is eroded, talking about Nintendo's strategy is just a good way to start a discussion that draws no conclusion.

And speaking of drawing conclusions, it could very well be Ubi talking about NX "addressing the family market" because they have a family-friendly came coming to the console.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nintendo can't force 3rd parties to make games for their console. Neither can Sony. Don't blame Nintendo because of something outside their control. If you want 3rd party games on your Nintendo system confront the 3rd parties, not Nintendo.

The reason most games release on PS4 is that gamers demand it. It's called port begging and expressly forbidden on this forum, but it is what Nintendo gamers need to do in every interview of every publisher/developer who doesn't release their games on Nintendo systems until they are compelled to do so.
Why wouldn't you blame Nintendo for things that are obviously their problem. 3rd parties aren't going to treat Nintendo consoles special just because it's Nintendo. Nintendo has made very underpowered consoles two generations in a row. That makes porting titles a lot harder, plus you're porting over inferior versions. You can't seriously think Nintendo plays no role in their 3rd party relations?

EDIT: And companies it games on PS4 because the market is there.

PreFire

I've been desperately trying to jump back into Nintendo but I gave up after game cube.

I understand they target family audiences, but I remember playing games that weren't family friendly. Like Friday the 13th (game was probably horrible but it frightened me as a child) , Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Castlevania, Street Fighter all have brutal combat/killing that I loved as a kid.

Nowadays, they barely have third party support and most of their games are gimmicky (amiibo and merchandise targeted bs) and just don't appeal to me-a person whose first gaming console was a NES, was blown away and gave me a wonderful childhood, and I will always love Nintendo for that.

But instead of keeping me, and others like me also in mind, these (extremely well made) games are aimed for younger audiences and die-Hard fans.

And now, they're making a new console, that probably won't be nearly as powerful as the current PS4 or Xbone, all of this while those two are coming out with even more powerful systems in the near future. This is fine, because their games are usually technical masterpieces, but it's a major reason third party support will keep lacking.

I still love Nintendo.. But I think they need to switch up their formula and aim for two markets. I don't want to buy a fucking toy just to boost (or whatever they do) my character in game. I know they won't ditch the gimmicks because it's such a big money maker, but here's hoping they switch it up. I want to have a Nintendo again. Please

Then again, all of this is based off an ubi comment

If Nintendo want to be viable, and also decide against making a console that third-parties can effortlessly support, they need to increase their output significantly.

Joining the handheld and home-console libraries would be one step. They'd also need to increase the high profile releases (a Zelda release every two/three years instead of five, same with Mario).

If you look at the frequency of Mario & Zelda releases on the 3DS & Wii U combined, they're already doing this. In fact, those are both quietly annualised franchises, with either a mainline release or a major spinoff (ie., Mario Maker, Triforce Heroes) pretty much every holiday.

But if they're combining them to one platform, they have to be careful. Burning people out on those franchises would be killing the golden goose.

Jubenhimer

No, they had that support because Famicom/NES was a phenominal success and pretty much grew the Japanese industry and saved the US industry we've had since. They tried to strongarm publishers and retailers for sure but that wasn't cheating, it was business. And it backfired eventually anyway, first with Sega then more fatally with Sony.
Success and install base played a part. But Nintendo made sure that developers who made games for their system stayed ONLY on their system, preventing competetors from getting substantial developer support. It wasn't until they were taken to court when Nintendo decided to loosen their grip. So yes, they were cheating considering they were using shady, illegal practices to gain an unfair advantage.

MacTag

Banned
Success and install base played a part. But Nintendo made sure that developers who made games for their system stayed ONLY on their system, preventing competetors from getting substantial developer support. It wasn't until they were taken to court when Nintendo decided to loosen their grip. So yes, they were cheating considering they were using shady, illegal practices to gain an unfair advantage.
Nintendo didn't hold a gun to anyone's head, developers could choose to leave and develop elsewhere. And many did with PC Engine and MegaDrive getting support from companies like Namco, Taito, Data East, Irem, Hudson (who helped make the PCE) and others in the late 80s. By the early 90s things had been blown wide open with pretty much everyone but Square and Enix making games for rival consoles while still making NES, GB and SNES games. Plus the whole time NES developers were still making computer games on PC98, MSX, X68000 and other platforms without any restriction.

And Nintendo was taken to court over strongarming retailers with anticompetitive monopoly practices, not developers. Developers were freed because the market started supporting viable alternative consoles like PCE or Genesis and Nintendo was forced to loosen their grip.

Top Bottom