• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Wouldn't have HTC Vive, Oculus Touch, and PS VR without Wii mainstreaming motion control so I love that they always innovate on input control.

Nintendo doesn't make platforms for me, but they change the industry and spark creativity in a way that most of this stagnant industry does not. Whatever Nintendo comes up with I hope it is very different from anything the mainstream game industry is doing. The software and the controller need to go hand in hand. A 2017 PowerGlove with believable haptics would be cool.

powerglove-its-so-bad2-png.2322

Malakai

And I'm sure that that anecdote is true, but the continued decline of 3DS sales and the continued growth of mobile gaming suggests it's not enormously representative of the broader market.

I said hand-me-down.

If the upfront price of new hardware was really a relevant point of comparison, there's no reason why the dedicated handheld market would have contracted to the extent it has over the past half-decade. And clearly, dedicated gaming software aimed at kids has been particularly hard-hit - the Western licensed games that were incredibly prolific on GBA, DS, and Wii are almost nonexistent today.

...how do indie games on Wii U have anything to do with the collapse of the licensed game market? Moreover, they're clearly not doing anything to drive hardware sales, nor can they possibly be generating more than a tiny fraction of the third-party licensing revenue Nintendo raked in from GBA, DS, and Wii.

Also, "forcing their kids to play shitty Flash games on hand-me-down PCs?" That's a new one.

The crucial difference between now and 2006 is that mobile has lowered gaming's barrier to entry to a point where it can't be lowered any further. Unlike ten years ago, almost literally everyone with any interest in gaming, however simple or casual, now owns and regularly uses hardware that can play games.

Given that, can Nintendo really make $40-60 games on $200-300 hardware a more appealing proposition than free games on effectively free hardware?

Nah, I'm sure they'd do just fine with abysmal third-party relations and zero existing first-party IP targeting that audience. Totally,

Father_Brain, why does Nintendo and handheld gaming have you more pressed than a suit freshly delivered from the dry cleaners? You are steaming hot pressed about your level of Nintendoom. Their is no future for Nintendo. Nintendo should hang it up like a flat screen. Nintendo should be taken care of like an old barn animal no longer in its prime. To you, Nintendo is rotten on the inside and should be burned down completely. Nintendo, to you, should sale all of their IPs, close up shop and return remaining value over to their shareholders. I wanted to address the issues of the definition of "casual" gaming being used by the posters in this topic but seeing how this thread is devolving to another Nintendo bashing and Nintendo ain't $*** to me thread. Therefore, I will remain silent.

hokahey

I hope this is true. I loved the Wii, and the blue ocean strategy is the only way for Nintendo to remain relevant in the console space. They will NEVER compete against Sony and Microsoft in that way again. The market needs a family console, and I have faith Nintendo can deliver.

This is why Nintendo shouldn't have have backed out of showing the NX at E3. Waiting too long lets other people drive and define this console for them.

God damn reading anything nintendo related these days is just depressing...wish theyed get their heads out of their asses already and wake the fuck up.

Sianos

"Platform we are releasing game on will be a smashing success," says third party developer

"Platform we are releasing our game on will be tailored towards the intended audiences of our game," says third party developer of game.

With no news of Nintendo VR, I have a strange feeling that they'll go fairly traditional on this one and keep the gimmicks ancillary. Which is much, much preferable to poorly executed half measures that also detract from the core platform, although I will say that innovation that is both original and effective and well-integrated into games in such a manner that enhances them but does not detract like the DS style handheld dual screens is still the ideal. I would expect Nintendo to be all over the potential of VR considering how much they like to experiment, but I'm under the impression they've been burned one too many times and will play it relatively safe.

nintendo will make a success out of nx they will use new innovation and local co op.

You cannot play as a family on mobiles and it separates people.

This is what nintendo has always been about.

You will see soon enough I am confident of that.

Bbtc

I'm still baffled that so many GAF users are surprised by these comments.

I'm guessing ignoring the fact that the big N routinely puts the vast majority of their financial resources and creative energy into developing products like:
- Cute non-violent community simulation games with a focus on appealing to women and girls.
- Whimsical intuitive Disney-esque platforming games that try their damnedest to be inclusive for everybody in one way or another.
- Wacky cartoon racing games with random arcadey mechanics and zero learning curve.
...is a way to comfortably cope with the disillusionment that comes with realizing that the big N's most lucrative and consistent source of revenue since the NES and Gameboy comes from people who aren't 25-40 something (usually males) people that grew up blowing the dust out of Super Metroid cartridges and can't wait to get their hands on the next Mass Effect game.
:/
The more I think about the more I'm not surprised....

It is worth noting that "family" is not interchangeable with "casual." This market is not being catered to on higher-end consoles and neither Sony nor Microsoft seem to have much of an interest in cultivating it.

It could just as easily mean things like Rayman Legends rather than Carnival Games.

Definitely, but I'd be willing to bet that the audience overlap between people who like stuff like Carnival Games, Rayman Legends, and something like Animal Crossing is a lot higher and worth noting than the audience overlap between GTA and Carnival Games; if the success of the Wii and DS were anything to go by that is.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And I'm sure that that anecdote is true, but the continued decline of 3DS sales and the continued growth of mobile gaming suggests it's not enormously representative of the broader market.
The 'broader market' of parents who buy toys for their kids will always be wary of $300-$400 devices with predominantly "free"-to-play content. The golden AppStore age is gone - the AppStore vendors made sure of that with their whale-hunt tactics. In my household of 4 gaming individuals, I'm the sole person who still plays on the ipad to any degree, just because I'm shrewd enough to game the free-to-play system. Everybody else has had their 'honeymoon' with the AppStore and moved on to something that is more suitable to a normal gamer's routine. Sure, the market for handhelds will never be at the levels prior to the smart devices advent. Your point?

The 'broader market' of parents who buy toys for their kids will always be wary of $300-$400 devices with predominantly "free"-to-play content. The golden AppStore age is gone - the AppStore vendors made sure of that with their whale-hunt tactics. In my household of 4 gaming individuals, I'm the sole person who still plays on the ipad to any degree, just because I'm shrewd enough to game the free-to-play system. Everybody else has had their 'honeymoon' with the AppStore and moved on to something that is more suitable to a normal gamer's routine. Sure, the market for handhelds will never be at the levels prior to the smart devices advent. Your point?

But you're still speaking strictly in anecdotal terms. Is there any empirical evidence to support the notion that people have grown tired of mobile and are switching back to dedicated game platforms? Nearly all the data I've seen supports the opposite conclusion, for instance:

http://www.cnet.com/news/kids-now-pick-mobile-devices-over-pcs-consoles-for-gaming-npd-group/

You also seem to be implying that the contraction of the dedicated handheld market is a past event rather than an ongoing trend, and that's not borne out by 3DS' sales trends.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But you're still speaking strictly in anecdotal terms. Is there any empirical evidence to support the notion that people have grown tired of mobile and are switching back to dedicated game platforms? Nearly all the data I've seen supports the opposite conclusion, for instance:

http://www.cnet.com/news/kids-now-pick-mobile-devices-over-pcs-consoles-for-gaming-npd-group/

You also seem to be implying that the contraction of the dedicated handheld market is a past event rather than an ongoing trend, and that's not borne out by 3DS' sales trends.
People have not grown tired of mobile. Nobody will grow tired of solitaire/bejewed/angry birds on their phone on a train commute. Mobile is here to stay. What I'm telling you is something entirely different - that people seeking more engaging gaming experiences are doing that predominantly outside of the AppStore, by my observations. *Everybody* I know, who play to any significant degree, do that - that's friends, colleagues, family. Not because of 'proper buttons', 'teh graphics' or any of that crap, but because the vendors on the AppStores of the world seem incapable and/or unwilling to provide proper gaming experiences where they're not trying to nickel and dime their customers, or harpoon them from whaling boats. The AppStore vendors are after the "commuters" and the "whales". But gamers are a whole bunch more than that, and those kinds find their entertainment on hanhelds, consoles and PCs - those things are not going anywhere, anytime soon, despite how their respective market segments may have been affected by mobiles.

As per the 3ds sales not rising - it's a mature, saturated platform. One that had to be taken to ER and rebooted, nevertheless. Let's see how a proper, fresh handheld platform starts off before we declare handhelds dead and buried.

Falcs

Banned
Ah shit. More gimmicks. I might be done with Nintendo if the NX doesn't use a traditional controller.
But yes, I know... Still too early.

Red Hood

Banned
What did y'all expect? "Here's a slightly more powerful Wii U with literally nothing else of value compared to the PS4 and XBO". Obviously they want to cater to a certain group and it won't be the "core gamers". The recent Reggie quote also kinda confirmed this route. I love the Gamepad, I don't even particularly care that many games don't utilise it optimally, the off-screen feature is more than enough justification for it. I hope it returns for NX in a similar way. Curious to see which strategy they have to reach the family market, seeing as that very same group completely ignored the Wii U in comparison with the original Wii.

Cheech

nintendo will make a success out of nx they will use new innovation and local co op.

You cannot play as a family on mobiles and it separates people.

This is what nintendo has always been about.

You will see soon enough I am confident of that.

Bbtc

I'm sure my 9 and 13 year old kids would be shocked to hear that, as they regularly play Minecraft, Clash Royale (they have a neighborhood clan with their friends), etc. on their iOS devices. Nintendo has zero chance at recapturing that market.

So Ubi had better be wrong. If Nintendo craps out some cheap device that can't deliver different experiences to kids and families than their iPads, Touches, and iPhones can deliver? They're done.

They also have lost the traditional console market, as Sony and Microsoft have seen to that.

I honestly can't tell if some people are in just wide eyed denial about Nintendo's predicament, and why the concept of going third party seems so bananas to them. I'm honestly curious, because the writing has been on the wall for at least a half decade at this point.

That ship has sailed baby.
The ship didnt sink though, its just at a different port. Ill be the first one to question such a strategy but that doesnt mean long term it cant be successful. Human interests are as chaotic as the range of weights of people that one sees in the population: change the day and geography and it is a whole new ballgame.

Smart phone games and tablet games do not cater as much to the whole segment about which we are talking as they do to people pooping / commuting or to children. That markets attention can be changed on a dime with the right strategy, i just think no one knows what that strategy is.

JimiNutz

Banned
My biggest issue with gimmicks is that they usually drive up the price of the console. Surley Nintendo would be better off using a traditional controller and keeping the price as low as possible?

Red Hood

Banned
God damn reading anything nintendo related these days is just depressing...wish theyed get their heads out of their asses already and wake the fuck up.

And that would be... a 5.5TFLOPS beast and nothing else? You really think they'd compete with PS4 and XBO, let alone Neo and Scorpio? Hell, even regular XBO can't compete so specs really aren't that crucial. Hate it or love it, but current Nintendo can't and won't be targeting core players, definitely not for the foreseeable future unless there's a massive shift in strategy.

El Topo

I honestly can't tell if some people are in just wide eyed denial about Nintendo's predicament, and why the concept of going third party seems so bananas to them. I'm honestly curious, because the writing has been on the wall for at least a half decade at this point.

I think people are very much in denial, especially when it comes to the reach and influence of mobile gaming.

My biggest issue with gimmicks is that they usually drive up the price of the console. Surley Nintendo would be better off using a traditional controller and keeping the price as low as possible?

Without a gimmick, what do they have?

They excel at Smash, Mario Kart, family play round the TV which the others, with their expensive controllers and emphasis on online, just don't have.

They need to push that massively for the NX. Cheap controllers, lots of local multiplayer games.

TH-Work

Banned
Would it be possible for Nintendo to release a console in 2017 which is slightly more powerful than the XBox One with industry leading chips for €149,00 Euro?

zoukka

They excel at Smash, Mario Kart, family play round the TV which the others, with their expensive controllers and emphasis on online, just don't have.

They need to push that massively for the NX. Cheap controllers, lots of local multiplayer games.

I would be sad to see another nintendo console I need a warehouse to store all the controllers and batteries for.

SoraNoKuni

My initial reaction within some seconds was "Damn this will flop.", but now that I think about it better it sounds kinda good actually.

danthefan

Are there any NX rumours out there regarding backwards compatibility? For me that's absolutely huge, if it can play Wii U games then I'll almost certainly buy. If it can't then I'm not ruling it out but it's less likely, at least any time soon.

Shiggy

Would it be possible for Nintendo to release a console in 2017 which is slightly more powerful than the XBox One with industry leading chips for €149,00 Euro?

In Germany you already get the Xbox One with two controllers and one game for 230€ right now, which puts the core package (system plus one controller) close to 150€.

geordiemp

Game Could just come with a USB camera. Would work better than waggle.

Would not be surprised to see a Wii-kinect.

Kinect was a product more aligned to Nintendo than MS anyway, or a Wii move..

A dance game has to have either motion controls or a camera as part of the design....

Alienous

I guess Nintendo is just the gimmick company, now.

Touch screen, motion controls, 3D, console touch screen.

I don't know what gimmick they can come up with next, especially if they want to appeal to families. Their best bet would probably be heavy motion controls again, though the novelty may have worn off.

Ubisoft pledging Just Dance ahead (and instead) of anything else also makes me think it'll be another motion control gimmick.

TH-Work

Banned
In Germany you already get the Xbox One with two controllers and one game for 230€ right now, which puts the core package (system plus one controller) close to 150€.

Than maybe Nintendo is targeting a console for €149,00 Euro which would be awesome ;)

Just cos the Wii was popular they thought they can recapture it with gimmicky controls?

They were popular with the NES and SNES. They make great games, thats why!

I also feel like the Wii sales were just a freak-thing and won't happen again. Those people have moved on to candy crush etc

SomTervo

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games

Yeah, I don't see how they could do this without just releasing a 'Wii 2' which is literally just the Wii but substantially improved.

I don't think it would work well.

Christopher

you would think at this point they would see what the PS4 is doing right - making awesome games that people would wanna play at any age.

tanooki27

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games

their attention is fickle. I agree another Wii-level success is unlikely, but part of that audience could be swayed again by more brilliance. Nintendo is an old company with a knack for pan flashes

their attention is fickle. I agree another Wii-level success is unlikely, but part of that audience could be swayed again by more brilliance. Nintendo is an old company with a knack for pan flashes

I don't know, it just feels like in 2016 there are way too many things competing for people's attention that Nintendo would have a real hard time getting them back.

Top Bottom