• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This confirms my belief of:

1. Cheap console
2. Return to the GOAT, the Wii Remote controller

Hale-XF11

Best case scenario is they come up with an extremely compelling gimmick akin the Wiimote and hope like hell that lightning strikes twice. A cheap, easy-to-get-into device that families can enjoy together.

If they go the route of a gimmick, it better be more compelling than VR, because that's what all the kids are saving up for. Either that or NX is so cheap, nobody can say no to it.

Sydle

Funny enough, if you watch Breath of the Wild, it features the most boring, downright safe traditional interface i' ve seen from Nintendo in the last years.

It is giving the impression they are doing that for the NX sake.

I watched that demo and got pretty excited. This news put me back on the fence though.

Shiggy

Highly doubt it. They cut GamePad functionality from the game (like the inventory selection that was present in the WW and TP remakes) and said the Wii U and NX versions will be an identical experience. Seems apparent that they cut the GamePad features to make the Wii U and NX versions very similar.

Those are still in the non-showfloor demo. Nintendolife played that version on Sunday.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games
LSBHK9i.gif

So accurate

scitek

I don't think this guy knows anything about the NX and is just giving a generic PR answer based on knowledge of the Wii being a success and the Wii U being a disappointment.

It's a risk and gamble of course. But it's one they need to take. They cannot compete directly with MS and Sony like for like and gave to do something different. They have to attract casual/non gamers because outside of Nintendo fans, that's the only market they have. Sony/MS fans aren't going to convert to Nintendo games and give up what they've got now.

So in that sense, it makes sense to attack this market yet again. They can't win any other way. So it's that or bust regardless.

I appreciate that. However, there is still a market for a cheap, dedicated, casual and family oriented console with key Nintendo titles you can't get elsewhere.

Is there? Kids game on phones and parents dont game much if at all. And when they do, on their phone.

We are all phone zombies now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think you can get those people who "moved on to mobile games" to buy a cheap console if you allow said console to play your favorite mobile games as well as Nintendo first-party.

I don't think this guy knows anything about the NX and is just giving a generic PR answer based on knowledge of the Wii being a success and the Wii U being a disappointment.

doesnt take a brain to understand what nintendo will try. Guesses of gimmicks are going to likely play out

Nintendo is still making games for the failed pad for crying out loud, they still are tryig to pertain to their "base" This is not smart business, should have dropped that thing out completely in year one and started making games , controllers like many of us called for back then (we even assumed they would take it out)

I think it's reasonable for Nintendo to target an expanded audience again. But they ceded so much ground to Apple et al. It's a tougher market now.

Whether you like it or not, this is good news for the business. If Nintendo ignored the casual crowd and attempted to be a third version of Sony/Microsoft, they'd probably have the weakest new console next year and it'd be Wii U all over again. Mass market is how Nintendo survives.

Highly doubt it. They cut GamePad functionality from the game (like the inventory selection that was present in the WW and TP remakes) and said the Wii U and NX versions will be an identical experience. Seems apparent that they cut the GamePad features to make the Wii U and NX versions very similar.

Ooh, missed that tidbit. That's certainly an interesting clue.

Dead on arrival NX

Ehhh

I guess there is no stopping the pessimism at this point

Precedent is too powerful lol

But hey. Zelda is a positive start in the right direction and the fact that its Pro Controller friendly on the WiiU make me think that they are going back to roots for the core functionality, bringing the OS and features up to current standards, and whatever the gimmick is... wont take away from it being a core gaming focused system

I say this with zero evidence and this is Nintendo

aBarreras

daaaaaaaaaamn people are fucking fickle, if the thing this guy said was "nx will be the more hardcore oriented machine ever" will everybody be this pessimist about it? of course people will be doubting it, but here we are, already telling the nx is DOA just because some guy said some things

It's a risk and gamble of course. But it's one they need to take. They cannot compete directly with MS and Sony like for like and gave to do something different. They have to attract casual/non gamers because outside of Nintendo fans, that's the only market they have. Sony/MS fans aren't going to convert to Nintendo games and give up what they've got now.

So in that sense, it makes sense to attack this market yet again. They can't win any other way. So it's that or bust regardless.

So Nintendo can't compete with MS and Sony because reasons and in order to be different their only option is to cater to a market that doesn't exist.... This sounds so defeatist.

bachikarn

Those are still in the non-showfloor demo. Nintendolife played that version on Sunday.

I don't think the inventory selection is in any demo. I believe Nintendolife mentioned a map feature on the GamePad, which is odd because Aonuma specifically mentioned in an interview that they cut the map feature.

Regardless, it is unlikely that the NX is going to have full blown motion control as the primary focus, or the NX Zelda version would be a "different experience"

Peltz

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games
No way. Mobile games don't bring families together, and neither did the Wii U concept.

That audience is waiting to be recaptured.

I sincerely disagree that mobile sales are eating into console sales. Mobile sales are definitely eating into handheld sales though.

Nevertheless, I genuinely believe the family oriented market is still there, and sort of always will be there.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I love how OP left the very important 'in a very different way' that followed 'addressing the family market' out of the thread title.

Get them reactions.

I don't think the Wii audience have moved on to mobile games, they've just moved on to other things which aren't gaming. There isn't some sort of natural order that says people must dedicate X amount of time to playing video games. Most of the people who were into the Wii are now probably doing something else non-game related but still zeitgeisty with that time (twitter and instagram as an obvious example, or the explosion of podcast listening as a less obvious example).

Nintendo focusing on "family" stuff is something I want no part of.

I think Nintendo have always been pretty firmly focused on 'family' gaming. In fact, it's only really since the Gamecube (besides Conker) that they've allowed less family friendly stuff on their systems.

Hubble

Oh man. I think the Wii was an one hit wonder. Was really hoping Nintendo would focus on gamers and not the casual market.

daaaaaaaaaamn people are fucking fickle, if the thing this guy said was "nx will be the more hardcore oriented machine ever" will everybody be this pessimist about it? of course people will be doubting it, but here we are, already telling the nx is DOA just because some guy said some things

Can easily have this therad without his comments to be fair. can quote me

We will see a gimmick and a lot of us won't be so down on it when it comes to the game play we want from nintendo.

It's been some time since then and the Wii audience grew and moved on (at least the dedicated games)

I imagine it gets much harder to deal with a lapsed Wii as you get older.

Plinko

Really?

You think the Wii was not just a gimmick machine that pulled in people with Wii sports and then gathered dust till Wiffit etc?

Software sales statistics say it absolutely was not that type of console. Check the tie-ratio for games to systems sold. It's almost at the same level as Xbox 360 and PS3.
Celine said:
I don't think the same "trick" will work twice.

Wiimote is today a known quantity that cannot excite as it did back in 2006.

What if it had advanced tech? Better haptic feedback? Vitality sensor built in? I think stuff is out there that could make it work. My guess is they won't go that route exclusively, though. I bet they pack a traditional controller with each one.

bumpkin

*The Office "Please god no" video clip*

The Wii was wonderful for what it was, but gimmicks need to die. The PS4 proves that gamers will buy a traditional console if it has awesome, impressive games. You don't need to make players do the hokey pokey while controlling their character to sell a system.

And also looking at their past console. By all means be optimistic as you want bit don't act there's no reason for people not to be

Trago

You know what that means? Cheap price!

I'm still standing by my $250 price point.

As for the family market, this is good because Sony and Microsoft sure as hell don't care about that demographic, which is really a shame considering that they have the chance to right now with the Wii U flopping hard.

This could still be a challenge for Nintendo because a lot of kids are on mobile.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If they go the route of a gimmick, it better be more compelling than VR, because that's what all the kids are saving up for. Either that or NX is so cheap, nobody can say no to it.

You seriously think this is the case? There's barely anything compelling enough to play in VR yet. Are kids truly putting away pennies to afford their 900$ gaming PC's with 600$ VR headsets? The price range alone is enough to ensure it doesn't see mass-market adoption anytime soon.

I think if there's one company that can make lightning strike twice, it's going to be Nintendo. Even though the Wii-U was trash from day one, I hope they still have some of that creative and innovative spirit left to make families and kids take note with a cheap console with a neat 'hook'.

I'd be extremely happy if this is the case. There's nothing that hits the spot like the Wii. Hardly anyone makes party games or games that you can play with family and friends on a whim.

Even if it's just a buffed up ChromeCast, the gaming potential there is immense.

Ridley327

FWIW, Just Dance seems like the most safe thing to announce for any console where information isn't being made public for it just yet since it has such a low, low, low tech barrier. They've even switched to having smartphones be the primary method of input for those games now.

This sounds like they are trying to make a console that is not so imposing like Ps4 or Xbox One, but a console that can be used by casual gamers... which is fine

New consoles like Ps4 Neo and Scorpio can be pretty scary to casual people, since most of the terminology used in their description can be hard to understand

Talking as a person who knows nothing about new computers or specs of new consoles, making a simple, familiar console I can understand without too much knowledge is really good.

If they integrate things that casual people use for entertaining (meaning cellphones and no high end computer or advanced consoles) I can see the new system being a hit

But it's just my opinion..

thefro

I think Nintendo have always been pretty firmly focused on 'family' gaming. In fact, it's only really since the Gamecube (besides Conker) that they've allowed less family friendly stuff on their systems.

Huh? They've allowed M-Rated games on their systems since the ESRB ratings started.

Mortal Kombat 2 was completely uncensored on SNES.

Killer Instinct certainly wasn't seen as a "family-friendly" game in 1994, either.

meppi

I don't get what's the big deal here.
Nintendo have always gone for the "family market" from the very beginning.
How is that all of a sudden a bad thing?
If they are able to do something unexpected which really clicks with their software designs, it might turn their fortunes around yet again.
It's a huge gamble as always, but you never know with them.

Top Bottom