• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

So Nintendo can't compete with MS and Sony because reasons and in order to be different their only option is to cater to a market that doesn't exist.... This sounds so defeatist.

How can they compete with Sony/MS for the same customers but without the games like Halo/Uncharted/Forza/GT as well as the online infrastructure/Eco system/trophies they've built up/are invested in?

Those are the reasons. Like for like why would a PS gamer care if the NX is as powerful/more powerful than the PS4 just because it plays the same multiplat games and Nintendo ones? Why are they all of a sudden going to convert to play Nintendo games when they've moved on from them/not interested the last 3 or so gens.

Nintendo can either try to crack other markets or continue as they are; a shrinking console marketshare every gen. Going head to head with Sony/MS is pointless and a waste. Something they've known since the GameCube.

Zaventem

Thank god that Nintendo still have that excitement that I am going to get from buying Nx!

Playstation 4 my reaction was , yes great graphics but so what?

Xbone! - boring samey shoot em up **zzzzzz****

ok games Sony have a few exclusives that are exciting but there is nothing like New Zelda, or gameplay as tight as some stuff on wii u!

Nx is going to have a gimmick, plus thank god it will get the family crowd, but I also think it will hit the hardcore too, I have a hunch its going to be powerful but not as much as say scorpio. which I don't think will be utilised till a few years fully.

Nintendo all you have to do is give us a new Mario , truly innovative style, waveracer to bring some fun and please DO!! stay with local play its the game changer for most families and keeps the kids from just staying in their rooms.

BBTC

What a laughable post. Your whole life is a parody.

OrochiJR

OK, so now I'm expecting a low-tech console ("low" means Wii U power in that case, since Zelda must run on it) and some forced gimmick. The upside would be a relatively cheap price.

Didn't the Wii U gamepad drive up the price point of the Wii U unnecessarily? In that case if the gimmick of the NX, whatever it is, is cheaper in production and the console itself is roughly the same tech-wise (or a little stronger) as the Wii U, then maybe we will see a release around 250 or 300 bucks.

And the game they mention that will bring back users is Just Dance? Wheres Watch Dogs, Far Cry, or Steep...

Im a Nintendo casual and the last Nintendo Console I purchased was GBA. For games like F-Zero, Golden Sun, Metroid and Mario Tennis. Awesome games!

Yesterday I watched 5 hours of Zelda. Like damn Zelda is cool but I'm not only going to play Zelda. Wheres the variety and cool IPs? Its still early to be fair.

I've played Just Dance and that is not the most enticing product. But ill hold my judgment until I hear more.

Bizarrely, Just Dance still sells quite well for the Wii, i'm not sure about last year, but i noticed that it appears in Amazons top 100 selling games for the year.

Actually just had a look, and it was the 58th best selling video game item last year (including consoles and accessories.

It is quite remarkable.

Dennis

Banned
Because if they just matched MS and Sony power-for-power, they'd still get wiped out because they're competing for the same market and they just don't want to spend the money and they don't have the mindshare to do that. If Nintendo wants to focus on family-based gaming and being the secondary console for hardcore gamers, that's a much safer route to take.

Also, since when do you dictate what the gaming industry "wants"?

Isn't it obvious?

Being Nintendo they can do the family but additionally get 3rd part support.

Get Nintendo games PLUS the Call of Duty etc. on the same console.

Safe route? The Wii U is a colossal bomb.

The super casuals are playing on their phone.

Rncewind

Let's wait for someone from Nintendo to talk about a Nintendo console

Nintendo prior to the Wiiu launch said that they are commited to the "core" now.

Then they launched with nintendoland and a mario upport and a gimmicky controller which was not used well, aimed with commercials aimed exclusivly for causals.

Dont see the logic here

Hearing the phrase "recapture lapsed Wii players," especially in context of "addressing the family market" is exactly the type of thing you should tell me if you want to turn me off the NX.

OK, so now I'm expecting a low-tech console ("low" means Wii U power in that case, since Zelda must run on it) and some forced gimmick. The upside would be a relatively cheap price.

Didn't the Wii U gamepad drive up the price point of the Wii U unnecessarily? In that case if the gimmick of the NX, whatever it is, is cheaper in production and the console itself is roughly the same tech-wise (or a little stronger) as the Wii U, then maybe we will see a release around 250 or 300 bucks.

It wont be WiiU power lol

Itll have some degree of parity. Even if they go for slightly lower budget parts it will still outperform wiiU by a significant margin

And given how good WiiU games ALREADY look I dont see what the big deal is

SuperSah

Banned
Anyone who expects Nintendo to focus on hardcore gamers whilst delivering a machine nearly close to the power of Sony's and Microsoft's will be sorely disappointed yet again.

This is Nintendo. It'll be a family friendly console with graphics probably just at, or below the PS4/XB1. Heck, now with Scorpio and Neo, they'll be even further behind the competition.

Embrace Nintendo for their games, not their hardware.

Well, we know it will have a touchscreen controller because of Zelda, we also know it will play games like Zelda so hopefully that still means physical buttons, and we know it will have a game like Zelda at launch. Even if you think Zelda looks like crap, the hints are there that things will be just as much the same as they will be different.
Actually Zelda doesnt use the gamepad at all. And you can use the pro controller.

KAL2006

Banned
The fact that Ubisoft did not announce all there other games coming to NX leads me to believe NX will be sub Xbox One power level.

I just hope it's dirt cheap at the least. I'm talking £180 cheap for the console.

Heroman

Banned
Why would they compete with sony and Microsoft when Microsoft can barely compete with sony, adding a third console similar wouldn't do anything.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd much rather they recapture lapsed Gamecube players, as the Wii is the worst console I have ever owned

Hearing the phrase "recapture lapsed Wii players," especially in context of "addressing the family market" is exactly the type of thing you should tell me if you want to turn me off the NX.
You'd think it would also be the type of thing you'd say if you wanted to get fired from a console developer position after the Wii U.

I think I'm officially not excited for the NX, that way I can only be surprised or right. But I wasn't excited for Zelda until that trailer yesterday and I was blown away, so who knows?

18-Volt

Also remember that Iwata hinted that NX may be a family of devices, so there could be a cheap version and a "core gamer" version with more power, potentially.

I still think QOL is alive in some form. An android tablet perhaps, a platform that Nintendo can dump all their casual franchises, WiiFit, Brain Age, Tomodachi...

I said it before, I'll say it again: Nintendo going after the 20-something target audience of most modern AAA games would be a battle they can only lose. A cheap low-power device that's ideally suited for Nintendo's first party line-up while being cheap enough that families and people who play games more casually can afford it without giving the purchase much thought, would be ideal for Nintendo.

The idea of a powerful console rivaling Neo and Scorpio is cool, but practically not a good fit for Nintendo.

Making it cheap could also make it a compelling "second" system.

I doubt it, these seem like empty words. The Wii's success will not be replicated again by a Nintendo home console. It captured an audience that simply doesn't really exist anymore; people who are total strangers to games. Most people are content with mobile games these days. You can't really satisfy the core, and 'hardcore', fanbase while trying to appeal to families.

Rncewind

It wont be WiiU power lol

Itll have some degree of parity. Even if they go for slightly lower budget parts it will still outperform wiiU by a significant margin

And given how good WiiU games ALREADY look I dont see what the big deal is

They are not looking any better then ps360 games

I doubt it, these seem like empty words. The Wii's success will not be replicated again by a Nintendo home console. It captured an audience that simply doesn't really exist anymore; people who are total strangers to games. Most people are content with mobile games these days. You can't really satisfy the core, and 'hardcore', fanbase while trying to appeal to families.

They could easily still sell to families with a combination of brand power, hot toy trending, and reasonable price point

What they wont reach is Wii level falsh in the pan stuff... unless they seriously have something crazy that goes viral

Saying they cant market a device to families AT ALL? Thats just silly

Galang

Banned
everyone saying Uh OH.

Wii destroyed everyone. REMEMBER?

They made a ton of profit, but they were also too conceited during that timeframe. Nintendo could have afforded to make a few more projects, but they pretty much stayed idle the entire time and stuck with what they knew. Not to mention they didn't even move to HD at that point. It seems like they actually spent double what they did during the Wii U era to secure a few extra games from third parties and while many of those games fell flat, I say it was a good effort at least.

Xiao Hu

The fact that Ubisoft did not announce all there other games coming to NX leads me to believe NX will be sub Xbox One power level.

I just hope it's dirt cheap at the least. I'm talking £180 cheap for the console.

Oh shit. Now that you mentioned it.... Welp...

KAL2006

Banned
Making it cheap could also make it a compelling "second" system.

This is pretty much what I am hoping as well as them combining the handheld and console games on 1 system.

there is no way Nintendo can compete with XB1 and PS4. May as well go full on cheap. WiiU failed because it was overpriced. COD and FIFA players will never buy the games on a Nintendo system no matter how powerful it it. Console gamers won't switch over to Nintendo as there primary system at this point. Best bet is to be the cheap secondary system with the gimmick of having all games release on 1 system including Pokemon and the next mainline Mario game.

To be honest I think 'addressing the family market in a very different way' was missing from the thread title... this just seems to me that Nintendo are actually doing something different from the Wii, no longer relying on gimmicks and only 1st party software.

Time will tell.

Kevin Atomic

Neo Member
Hmm not sure what this says for the NX but it worries me a bit. I loved my Wii and I've had some great experiences with the WiiU but I think the WiiU has shown that the Wii was a one hit wonder of sorts. Even though the Wii U runs wonderfully and is Nintendo in glorious HD that wasn't enough to get it anywhere close to Wii sales. The attempt at another "family friendly" gimmick that wasn't fully realized hurt it a lot too which could be the case with the NX if they aren't careful.

I don't think the NX needs to come out swinging with 4K visuals and VR ready to get solid traction and sales. But it will need to do better than close to what the PS4 gave us over 3 years ago (once it launches, if it launches on time). It will just get left behind again.

It should be a nice noticeable step up to keep it in the running for at least 4 years with the "innovation" or "gimmick" really just being that cherry on the top.

I don't consider a Just Dance game on the NX as Ubisoft supporting the console. We saw what happened with the Wii U. Ubi jumped ship pretty quickly after Zombi U

Nibel

Nintendo prior to the Wiiu launch said that they are commited to the "core" now.

Then they launched with nintendoland and a mario upport and a gimmicky controller which was not used well, aimed with commercials aimed exclusivly for causals.

Dont see the logic here

Good job at listing their own two family friendly titles for the Wii U launch while ignoring ZombiU, Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, NBA 2K13, Mass Effect 3 and several other of core-gaming-focused titles which they actually meant when they said they are commited to the core with the Wii U.

Compare that to the launch lineup of the Wii and you'll see a slight shift

viHuGi

Banned
People move and come, pretty sure they can get back that market, people are still there just give them a reason.

emb

Idk, I think that line could have been spit out pre-launch for any Nintendo console, just because they're Nintendo. I'm sure this guy knows something, I'm just saying I'll hold off on jumping to conclusions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So who is their market if they are not going to compete with the other 2?

Judging by the response to Zelda yesterday, I'm pretty sure the core market could support a cheap secondary console with Nintendo first-party.

There is almost zero reason to own a PS4 and an XB1 now, especially with Microsoft putting all first-party games on PC.

Hopefully Nintendo considers Zelda a game for the family market. I'll take some more of those please!

These comments don't affect my interest in NX in the slightest.

Übermatik;207180676 said:
To be honest I think 'addressing the family market in a very different way' was missing from the thread title... this just seems to me that Nintendo are actually doing something different from the Wii, no longer relying on gimmicks and only 1st party software.

Time will tell.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Maybe they're targeting the family market by not adding expensive nonsense that nobody wants like the Wii U GamePad?

Not getting my hopes up though.

UbiSoft.A company that can irritate me even if there being honest and it's not there fault.

I don't like the sound of this...at least we have Zelda

This E3 more so than any other solidified my opinion that there is no room for Nintendo in the same market that Sony/MS currently occupy. Being different is their only shot, and it may not work now that the PS4 and Xbone will serve as "low end" points of entry.

Top Bottom