• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubi: NX will "recapture lapsed Wii players," Nintendo "addressing the family market"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This doesn't bode well. Lets just wait and see.

“And they are addressing the family market in a very different way, their own way, which we appreciate. We have done a lot of products and successes with Nintendo in the past, and we believe that the NX will recapture a lot of the lapsed Wii players. So we will see when they release it, but we are confident.”

Your post is the first thing that popped in my head.

They better tread lightly.

Rncewind

Making it cheap could also make it a compelling "second" system.

I heard the ammount of people want a second box for XXX dollars to play games is exploding

Good job at listing their own two family friendly titles for the Wii U launch while ignoring ZombiU, Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, NBA 2K13, Mass Effect 3 and several other of core-gaming-focused titles which they actually meant when they said they are commited to the core with the Wii U.

Compare that to the launch lineup of the Wii and you'll see a slight shift

Its not a "good job", its a fact,these are the games that Nintendo released for the Wiiu Launch or is this incorrect? When not i stand corrected.

Listing 3rd Party Titles dont change it either, or is comitting to core for you means: "yo, our console is not ps2 level anymore and we sent third party, again like the wii, dev kits so they can put port on our consoles"?

That level of commitment existed back in wii area, see wiki and look what Third partys released for wii, one of them was dead space.

When Nintendo says they are commited to core, but doing nothing first party wise is simply a lie.

Also totally ignored point of marketing

bachikarn

Judging by the response to Zelda yesterday, I'm pretty sure the core market could support a cheap secondary console with Nintendo first-party.

There is almost zero reason to own a PS4 and an XB1 now, especially with Microsoft putting all first-party games on PC.

Unless you want PS4 exclusive games, which there are quite a few. Destiny also.

mcrommert

Banned
I just wish we lived in a world where nintendo could just focus on games and ignore hardware...which they are terrible at.

Either Microsoft or sony (or both) should have a launcher that takes you into a separate experience that is the home of Nintendo software

This is absolutely the market Nintendo must address.

Like the Wii, Nintendo must address the casual, enthusisast, lapsed, family, female and children market that those other two manufacturer's do not cater to.

Produce a console that is so cheap, that the casual and "hardcore" cannot pass up - if only for the Nintendo games they can't get elsewhere.

Nothing is "cheap" compared to mobile.

That said, it's not like they can compete directly with Sony/MS either.

emb

I think the Wii market was a flash in the pan, those people have moved to mobile games
Think Nintendo doesn't know that?

Obviously NX is going to be an Android based system, complete with access to all the other mobile games. Home console version is rebranded Ouya, handheld version is just a phone.

(j/k)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hey conclusion-jumpers, how about letting someone from Nintendo talk about the Nintendo console.

Chaos17

Wow at this thread

Yup, it's like Ubi is trying to start a fire xD

spxxOvV.gif

What if their console is a 'cheap' all in one VR solution with fun games for everyone?

I don't see any other 'gimmicks' that could make a big splash at this stage of the game.

KAL2006

Banned
Hey conclusion-jumpers, how about letting someone from Nintendo talk about the Nintendo console.

Do you not think it's reasonable to believe NX will be weaker than XB1 based on the fact that Ubisoft is allowed to announce NX games and only announced Just Dance and not other graphical demanding upcoming games.

McHuj

They're not willing to though. So all we have is rumor and speculation to discuss. If Nintendo is not happy with that, they're free to address it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not quite sure what this is supposed to mean.

i will buy a NX if it doesn't have some crazy gimmick and there are plenty of zelda/mario games. that's all i need. we have zelda and no doubt there will be mario games. just let me play them with a normal controller.

Well, I will be very happy of saying told you so when Nx is very successful, why do some people want the same thing?

Nintendo started innovation with the invention of d-pad/analog and rumble.

Nintendo's gameplay has always been brilliant even Starfox zero needs some time putting into it before you get to enjoy the gameplay.

Some people don't give anything a chance.

BBTC

Angry Fork

So they can spit propaganda and we eat it up? What?

3rd parties view of a Nintendo console is probably a much more likely indicator of what it's going to be than Nintendo's prepared statements which will just be an attempt to appease everyone.

Exactly. Companies should stop searching after the "Wii market".

I think it's definitely worth aiming for. The problem is that Nintendo never seem to have a plan B - so when they fail to succeed in 'catching lightning in a bottle', they have no idea what to do next. The way they handled the Wii U was embarrassing.

Shiggy

Do you not think it's reasonable to believe NX will be weaker than XB1 based on the fact that Ubisoft is allowed to announce NX games and only announced Just Dance and not other graphical demanding upcoming games.

It's more likely that Ubisoft has reason to believe that Just Dance will be a more viable title for NX than the games you mention.

J@hranimo

Banned
...We should be getting that NX reveal date sooner than later.

I'm not really gonna go nuts over this, although the wording is still...odd. Kimishima has said a couple times before that they're going a different direction to the Wii/Wii U era. Hmm.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Unless you want PS4 exclusive games, which there are quite a few. Destiny also.

Note: I said PS4 AND XB1. No reason to own both. I would deem a PS4 a "must-own" system at this point, and XB1 not even close.

Zombie James said:
The system is launching in nine months. They should get on that.

Yes, they really should go the Microsoft route with announcing consoles. The messaging has been so clear.

Ugh, doesn't inspire confidence that this the big graphical upgrade that I want.

Dammit Nintendo why can't you just match MS and Sony?

How many Wii U-sized flops is it going to take?

Match MS and Sony on what? The PS4? The Neo? The Xbox One? The Scorpio?

Given the current tech arms race that MS and Sony are apparently about to engage in, why on earth would Nintendo want to get in the middle of that? For a company that's rarely ever been known for the power of its consoles, that seems like a complete losing proposition.

While it might not be what we want on a gaming forum, I can't blame them for wanting to carve out a totally different part of the market.

I just wish we lived in a world where nintendo could just focus on games and ignore hardware...which they are terrible at.

Either Microsoft or sony (or both) should have a launcher that takes you into a separate experience that is the home of Nintendo software

I just wished in general we lived in a world where gamers cared or focused more on games and ignore hardware.

I appreciate that people find technical stuff interesting, but it feels at times games are second to power. So many great games out there waiting to be played on all types of platforms.

I'm not saying it's impossible, stranger things have happened, but is there any plausible reason why Nintendo would lift the NDA for Just Dance but not, say, For Honor or Steep?

Rncewind

3rd parties view of a Nintendo console is probably a much more likely indicator of what it's going to be than Nintendo's prepared statements which will just be an attempt to appease everyone.

Nintendo only tells the truth, it is known

18-Volt

I think biggest conclusion jumper here is Ubisoft, they sound like they don't know anything at all. Addressing Family market? On Wii U they have funded games like XCX, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third and Fatal Frame, it's obvious they don't give a shit about family market anymore.

Bonk

And where does Ubisoft say, Nintendo will abandon core gamers?

_Ryo_

Also I definitely don't think The Legend of Zelda: Beasts of the Wild could be described as a game for casuals. So to market the new system towards casuals with content they most likely wont enjoy is just weird.

And if they are just making a lot of core games for a casual system that has a stupid gimmick then that is dumb as well.

I couldn't play Twilight Princess on Wii because of the motion controls. I tried. I hated it.

What are you doing, Nintendo?

Those of you with Wii u , know that its great to use the screen in the likes of Zelda, and Mario 3d world is so innovatitive in using the mic to blow the platforms fans or playing nintendoland using the gyroscope etc!

Nx I want a slight gimmick imagine Wave racer etc with such unique touches as haptic feedback.

BBTC

EhoaVash

well idk how to feel about this

Wii U launched with a bunch of casual family orientated games

( Nintendo Land, NSMB U, Lego City stories )

this failed hard then nintendo tried to focus on the core again with SMash4, Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2,

this also didn't create a comeback they wanted....

at this point i don't know which direction they're going to go, even if I want them to focus on the core again.

Rncewind

I'm not saying it's impossible, stranger things have happened, but is there any plausible reason why Nintendo would lift the NDA for Just Dance but not, say, For Honor or Steep?

No, especially bigger game for NX announced already like DQX.

The only reasons would be this version, at the point of time, not exist or not 100 % confirmed.

And there is no way of spinning this in something positive

There is no family market for video games anymore, and if you're convinced there is, you're going to be targeting a very small group of consumers. Who want video games in their house but are ignoring sony and Microsoft for some reason.

Shiggy

I think biggest conclusion jumper here is Ubisoft, they sound like they don't know anything at all. Addressing Family market? On Wii U they have funded games like XCX, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third and Fatal Frame, it's obvious they don't give a shit about family market anymore.

Not sure if you're serious. I hope not.

Go for whichever audience you want - It's (presumably) launching with Zelda, some awesome games are rumored, Wii had some great "hardcore" support, and hopefully ports of major games will be easier. I don't think statements like these should cause too much alarm - especially this early in the game.

Yes, they really should go the Microsoft route with announcing consoles. The messaging has been so clear.

Scorpio is a year and a half away. NX is nine months (supposedly). It's not a bad time to start talking about your new system, especially when your current one's been such a massive disaster.

This is why I don't care about the NX. Nintendo has said countless times that it's a brand new way to play that they don't want to disclose yet because they don't want their rivals to get inspiration from it. They clearly want to go back to the glory days of the Wii after the flagellation that was the Wii U. With Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Neo coming out the same year as the NX, we don't even know if it'll really be a 9th gen console, especially since Nintendo said it wouldn't really be a successor to the Wii U or 3DS either. And to make things worse, they're banking everything on Zelda when they could be hyping up the NX now.

Rncewind

It's more likely that Ubisoft has reason to believe that Just Dance will be a more viable title for NX than the games you mention.

So what you are saying, this games comming out for NX and ubisoft not saying this? why? Because they dont want their game to sell?

or

Ubisoft thinks they are not gonna be feasible on nx at all. Well yeah that does NOT conclude 100 % that the specs are weak by default, but it says they think third party games that gonna sell on other consoles on pc and aimed for core are DOA on NX.

Dont know which one is better

Kneefoil

Nintendo must have some kind of plan to shorten the gap between console and mobile gaming somehow. I can't really think of another way to appeal to the masses (or the "family market" as Ubisoft puts it) the way the Wii did - motion controls wouldn't work a second time.

NX is actually just a Nintendo branded Ouya.

Zaventem

If nintendo's main console got support like the handheld's I would pick it up in a flash. These past two generations their handheld systems were the only ones i've supported. It caters to core and casual perfectly, but they can't somehow translate that idea to their home systems for some reason.

Top Bottom