• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft pledges pipeline of support for Wii U, talks next gen exclusives

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
No, just a rephrasing of this:

'Third party games cannot compete with Nintendo offerings....OH SHIT, MAKE SO MORE GAMES, NINTENDO...WE CAN'T DO ALL THIS HEAVY LIFTING..'

It's strange how anyone could read rebranding and not this from that quote.

AniHawk

"they will make the necessary changes to the machine to make sure that it continues to grow fast on the market."

i don't think he's really talking a relaunch. all he's saying is this will be the nintendo console for nintendo games, so don't worry nintendo fans.

I still don't get why Ubisoft thinks Rayman is this huge AAA title that has sold millions of games in the past, and now suddenly doesn't want a huge drop-off by keeping it an exclusive.

I... don't understand this post. So, the first game didn't sell well as a multi-platform, so making it exclusive to a console that just launched and is struggling out of the gate was going to improve their situation? And it's my understanding that though the first hardly set the world on fire in terms of raw sales numbers, it was profitable.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well it's not Ubi's fault. It's Nintendos. It's too expensive and there are no games for it. Really, the worst launch line up of any Nintendo console.

Nintendo had a long while to work on a 3D Mario or MarioKart. Why they couldn't have got one of those prepared as a launch game I'll never know.

I like my WiiU but realistically at this point. It's doomed relative to third party support. It's just going to be a first party machine and I think sales will be quite low. Lower then Gamecube.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So the new big games will go to the next gen consoles and PC.

Wii U will receive multiplatform current gen games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the new big games will go to the next gen consoles and PC.

Wii U will receive multiplatform current gen games.

WiiU might receive a few multiplatform current games.

And yes. I've been saying for months. There is near to zero chance that WiiU will get next gen downports.

Subhero

Banned
Not sure what this means but..
pkft3MA.jpg

I believe this is pretty clear...

boyshine

But wouldn't that mean everyone that has the current Wii U would have to buy the upgrade?

I would love a 8 year plan with 3 bi-annual upgrades. I usually buy 2-3 of each console during their lifespan anyway, so why not introduce an actual performance upgrade with each redesign, not just colors, storage and size reduction.

I bought:
- PlayStation 2 launch model -> Silver -> Silver slim
- GameCube Purple -> Silver -> Pearl White
- Xbox launch model -> Crystal (transparent) with Controller S
- Xbox 360 Premium (20GB) -> Elite (120GB) -> Slim (250GB)
- PlayStation 3 80GB -> Slim (120GB) .. and would probably have bought a super-slim if the design was better.

I will buy: Wii U -> Wii V (Q4.2014) -> Wii W (Q4.2016) if they can keep the price at a reasonable level (below $300) and introduce noticable enhancements for each upgrade.

CTLance

I like these Miiverse reaction pics.

I'm getting the feeling I'm missing out on some major meltdowns.

Please, oh good-looking, gracious and godlike WiiU owners, enlighten the unwashed WiiU-lacking peasantry with more ... interesting ... Miiverse screens. It's probably better to link them instead of posting them in their entirety in this thread, though.

2MF

I've seen all the negative thread titles about the U's sales, but never bothered to check it out, and while the numbers are bad, I don't think anyone is bailing from support, they just weren't going to support it seriously anyway.

Are 3rd parties really using hardware sales as an excuse? The launch is so recent that it's ridiculous, game release schedules must have been planned way before launch.

Release another demo of Rayman Legends on Wii U at least. You are sitting on a finished product for the next 7 months.

Not any more I suspect. They've probably had to change around 20% of the GamePad gameplay to suit the traditional PS3 and 360 controllers.

Quite disappointing tbh, it's going to change it from a 2D platformer with unique gameplay elements into a bog standard 2D platformer.

The reactions from Wii U owners hasn't been good so far, plenty of people on forums and Miiverse are saying they're boycotting it already.

"Necessary changes to the machine".

I have zero fucking idea what that could possibly mean. It's not like 3DS where you can just roll out a bigger model.

I would guess fixing the OS and adding the account system and accomplishments they disengenously lead everyone to believe the system was going to have before launch.

The way I see it, Wii U owners can be split into three categories right now.

Fools who bought the console at launch, duped by Nintendo's empty promises. This is where I fit in.

Nintendo brand loyalists (fanboys)

People who don't know better.

They have some undoubtedly great software that will come out eventually, as on the Wii, but until then who is going to buy a Wii U? The suckers are done buying it. The casuals are confused, and even they don't really have anything to play on the machine yet.

Schnozberry

the system isn´t even 1 year old yet and ubi pulls this crap?

WTF!

Unfortunately, the games business has such a poor cost structure right now that major publishers can't really afford to have a game go tits up. Saving Rayman for later in the year will make sure Wii U has enough of an installed base to make it worth releasing, and make it available for PS3/360 at the same time. That being said, with GTAV releasing that month, plus Wind Waker HD probably releasing near it, I think Ubi is fucked either way.

Akey

Banned
In other words they will say what makes them look good while the fact is Nintendo helped push their games more then any console company would even dream of doing for a third party yet we don't want to look like we directly slapped them in the face by sitting on games when they need them. I'm not sure why this is news; Do you expect them to just come out and say their earnings suck so we are going to throw full support to this 150m user systems and ignore that 5m. Then this same time next year they will have to explain why out of 150m users they could not even get .5% of the user base.

AzaK

It absolutely did.

Honestly, Legends should have been announced as multiplatform from the start.

I actually wonder if the exclusivity wasn't just a UbiSoft choice, i.e. Nintendo had a part in marketting sharing or some such. It seems silly to make a game like that and only put it on one console when there are 150 million other ones with potential customers.

If Nintendo was helping out to get it as an exclusive it's just as possible they have reneged for some reason (To hit profitability or they don't think it'll do as well) and so UbiSoft had to change tack. It's also possible Nintendo said "You know that marketting money, we'd prefer to give it to you for another game. You cool with that?" Who knows but I don't really care too much either way w.r.t. Rayman as I don't like it but I wouldn't necessarily say it's adding to the doom.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
RE: Rayman

This decision will also ensure that the any further Gamepad ideas are nixed. Wouldn't be surprised if they evn cut stuff out that can't be easily modified for traditional/boring controllers.

Fuck.

Quick question, is Michel Ancel on contract with Ubisoft?

RE: Rayman

This decision will also ensure that the any further Gamepad ideas are nixed. Wouldn't be surprised if they evn cut stuff out that can't be easily modified for traditional/boring controllers.

Fuck.

Quick question, is Michel Ancel on contract with Ubisoft?

man they would be making it worst... people are angry now on Miiverse but if they can keep the features that makes the Wii U version shine people may forgive them a bit. But to cut things out lol

Ubisoft needs some serious damage control right now they may not see it now but things are very interesting I don't think people cared about EA as much as this

Calamari41

41 > 38
If this isn't proof that Nintendo needs to realize that they're on their own, nothing is. Think about it. We just went through the second hardware launch where Nintendo stepped back in order to let 3rd parties shine. What did we get? A game literally called "Zombie." Nobody who doesn't read gaming forums is going to look at a shelf of games and pick the one that says "Zombie" on the cover. No matter how it is spelled or if it has a "U" next to it.

Start buying up and bolstering those small 3rd party studios, Nintendo. It's the only way to make sure you get a solid release per month on your system. You can't count on jack shit from 3rd parties.

Top Bottom