• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft promise a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo.

I disagree, release date is very important. A lot of Wii U gamers have plenty of free 'gaming time' around now. We've played our launch games and are ready for the next installment of games. We have open time to play right now.

Come September, I'm assuming our 'gaming time' will not be so open anymore.

For the die hard Rayman fans, maybe not so much. But there are plenty of us where this would only be a nice to have game and now is a really good time to get it due to the timing. Come September, I most likely won't care anymore. I'll have plenty of other games that were a higher priority to me.

This is one thing I don't understand. There is no reason why a game won't play a game that he thinks is good, all because it's not releasing when he wanted it to release. Now I am not saying that I haven't done this in the past where I ignore one game because I was playing another game that released at that particular time, but I will not say "Fuck them" and not buy it or not eventually play it even if it takes me a year or more.

If I think a game warrants a preorder, I preorder it and forget about it until it releases; unless of course it's something drastic gameplay-wise where it doesn't live up to the original media at all, I will never cancel preorder because it is delayed or purposely released at the time that the company thinks is strategically and financially right for them. If it's a good game, I want them to continue making it. This will only happen if the game is financially successful. I could be the only one to love the game and be a hardcore fan of it, but if it doesn't sell well, there won't be more of it ever.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This news pisses me off as a 360 owner, it's not fair that Wii U owners get an exclusive demo.
I own both for the record

What's fake Reggie?

Dartastic

Guek: But they're not delaying it because the release date is better. In fact, it's much worse: They'll be going up against GTA, Madden, Wind Waker HD, and other heavy hitters across all systems. Rayman will be forgotten in the shuffle.

Not only that, but the conditions for release on the Wii U couldn't be any more favorable to them than they are right now: There's nothing for them to compete with until the end March, and the launch window itch still exists, so the userbase will be more willing to impulse purchase Rayman on the Wii U right NOW.

There is no reason why they can't release the game now on the WiiU and in September on the 360 and PS3. There's no logical reason for the WiiU version to be delayed: The conditions will be less favorable for sales in the fall than they, and the game is DONE. Plus they released a demo already, and announced the delay less than 3 weeks before the game's release date. There are probably some Rayman WiiU discs and boxes sitting in warehouses now.

All this does is hurt the sales potential and piss the people already prepared to buy the game off. As well as the people who worked on the game.

Xav

Ubisoft: Is it done?

ACIII Dev: Nope

Ubisoft: Awesome, release it. How about you?

Rayman Legends Dev: Yup, we're ready.

Ubisoft: Great, you can get started on a new demo.

Rayman Legends Dev: New demo?

Ubisoft: Yeah man, we need to build hype when you guys go up against GTA V in September.

Rayman Legends Dev: ...

mCn972r.jpg

guek

Banned
Guek: But they're not delaying it because the release date is better. In fact, it's much worse: They'll be going up against GTA, Madden, Wind Waker HD, and other heavy hitters across all systems. Rayman will be forgotten in the shuffle.

Not only that, but the conditions for release on the Wii U couldn't be any more favorable to them than they are right now: There's nothing for them to compete with until the end March, and the launch window itch still exists, so the userbase will be more willing to impulse purchase Rayman on the Wii U right NOW.

There is no reason why they can't release the game now on the WiiU and in September on the 360 and PS3. There's no logical reason for the WiiU version to be delayed: The conditions will be less favorable for sales in the fall than they, and the game is DONE. Plus they released a demo already, and announced the delay less than 3 weeks before the game's release date. There are probably some Rayman WiiU discs and boxes sitting in warehouses now.

All this does is hurt the sales potential and piss the people already prepared to buy the game off. As well as the people who worked on the game.

I'm not arguing otherwise :)

stuminus3

I'd be happier if "we have heard you and we will continue to listen" wasn't the exact same shit they've been spouting to PC gamers for years.

meppi

Might have to add Ubi on my publisher shit-list soon if they keep this shit up. They'll go nicely right next to activision and Sony. (Fuck them for closing Psygnosis)

MisterHero

Ubisoft: Yeah man, we need to build hype when you guys go up against GTA V in September.

mCn972r.jpg
At least they won't get canned like Superbot. It's not that bad!
lol

Hero

It's called a business move. If you're a developer and these types of things bother you, you're in the wrong line of work.

So according to this guy it's a "business move" and nothing else when a developer works in crunch mode for six plus months to meet a deadline only to have the publisher delay it by seven months and change the target goals. Since stuff like this happens in game development all the time, it's obviously justifiable.

Zero148

why not stealth release the full game on WiiU with a 30 times play limit and call it a Demo. It is done already and Ubisoft sends it to die in September anyway

guek

Banned
Honestly, if ubisoft conceded and this game ended up releasing this month after all this hooplah, I'd be willing to bet that sales would end up at least double if not quadruple what they would have been had they released it without a "fake" delay or stuck to a september date.

And I would bow low to the ubisoft marketing gods if this happened. And laugh heartily.

Keeps me wondering.. Why septembre? It"s not like they don"t have a release schedule in their office.. Rayman, which still is a very good platformer, has 0 chance when it gets released... I don"t get it.

Azure J

This entire incident is almost, almost to Megaman Legends 3's cancellation and fan base blasting levels of hilarious and wrong all at the same time.

Any Miiverse responses yet?

P.S. Those saying that "WiiU has no games. They need a game now!", didn't FOTNS: Ken's Rage 2 release yesterday?
You know what, I will bu Ken's Rage 2. At least Tecmo Koei didnt delay Razor's Edge til it came out on PS3/360.

Edit:

You're a Yeah whore =P, what's your NNID want to follow/friend you, PM me if you don't want to put it on the thread lol.

Im actually not. My NNID is kensei.

MisterHero

What does that have to do with Rayman getting delayed?
If a game sells poorly, the publishers (who are clearly in the right) take it out on the developers. It's standard practice by now, isn't it? The developers should know better! It's not like the industry has a ton of shit practices they need to get rid of.

guek

Banned
like, really, I gotta wonder if ubisoft is currently considering all the goodwill they'd receive if they conceded on this issue.

Nairume

Banned
When did Ubisoft management decide the delay was necessary?
That is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

You are trying to argue that Ubisoft did not willingly just fuck over the team. The only thing relevant to that is that Ubisoft is force a delay on the game that they were debating over delaying all while they had the team on crunch.

That is willingly fucking them over.

They are now having the team go back and go through the trouble of porting and redesigning the game around two systems that do not have the same features held by the console in which the game was designed around.

That is willingly fucking them over.

They are now delaying the game to a time when the game is pretty much boned and there's nothing the dev team can do about it.

THAT IS WILLINGLY FUCKING THEM OVER.

tsab

P.S. Those saying that "WiiU has no games. They need a game now!", didn't FOTNS: Ken's Rage 2 release yesterday?

the funny part is there no disc release in europe and we cannot buy it before midnight or watch the trailer. If you work at night and live alone you never can purchase PEGI18 titles from eshop.

iwatalaughs.jpg

nowai

Where is the negative whatsoever in releasing it now for WiiU and then in the fall for other platforms?

WiiU owners get the joy of playing it now and everyone else will get it then. I fail to see ANY downside to that.

dancmc

A couple of questions:

1. Do we know that it was definitely polished/done for release on 26-Feb?

2. If so; have we seen examples of this type of situation of delaying a fully complete game for ports to other platforms? Don't most publishers simply just release the comeplete game and then after a brief stint of sales; announce the port "game of year" or "platinum" editions?

I wish I could support the developer directly without supporting the publisher

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

mCn972r.jpg
This would have been hilarious if it was not utterly tragic.

Zero148

Where is the negative whatsoever in releasing it now for WiiU and then in the fall for other platforms?

WiiU owners get the joy of playing it now and everyone else will get it then. I fail to see ANY downside to that.

Ubi would have to pay for advertising twice (lol, Ubisoft seriously advertising Rayman) and the poor PS360 players which don't have a WiiU would have to buy a late port, this is something you can only do to Nintendo consoles

Top Bottom