• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft promise a Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo.

I'm assuming the quote below was based off direct feedback they received.

And I'm assuming the feedback wasn't in the form of message boards full of epic meltdowns or petitions calling for Ubisoft's collective heads over Legends supposedly being an exclusive elsewhere. Probably just a lot of Rayman fans letting Ubisoft know they'd like the game as well. Rayman is just another game added to many more on the release lists for those consoles. Bayonetta, however, now that elicited some epic meltdowns.

mclem

the funny part is there no disc release in europe and we cannot buy it before midnight or watch the trailer. If you work at night and live alone you never can purchase PEGI18 titles from eshop.

I would hope you still get weekends.

Unless you're a game developer, of course.

I doubt the person in charge of their FB page typed it with a straight face.

Mm.

I understand this, which is why I stated that it's frustrating. You brought up The Last Guardian. I've been waiting for that for quite some time. 2 years delay to be exact. It's looking to be a PS4 title now. Does that change the fact that I won't be buying the game? No, it won't.

It's not the delay itself that has people frustrated. It's the reason for the delay. The game is finished now. It's not like The Last Guardian is finished now. No, that game went through and is probably still going through major turbulence (I don't know its current state).

Oh man, I would pay money to see the reactions if Ubisoft delayed this WiiU demo in the 11th hour in order to prepare a PS3/360 demo, as well. XD

At this point the majority of the damage has already been done. To use a metaphor, imagine a small village with a bustling economy. Now imagine a bomber sent by UbiSoft firebombs that village and completely decimates it. There's still maybe 1% of the village left standing.

That's where we're at right now.

So a month later, UbiSoft realizes there's still that 1% left to be destroyed, so they send in a small guerrilla force to blow up that remaining 1% with grenades.

So at that point it's just like, "Yeah...go ahead and take that last bit, too. You already screwed us over."

i9qupkVej9Z8R.gif

Carry on digging that hole, Ubisoft.

mclem

I will buy Rayman on the WiiU and not for my 360. I want the 5 player Murphy multiplayer

edit:
but after the whole interesting news yesterday propably second hand

Ubisoft's conclusion from that: "Wii U is crippling our business model because it allows a second-hand game market!"

Koomaster

They are taking the piss right? Hasn't there already been numerous WiiU demos? I think people just want the game released since it's finished.

I'm kind of amazed how bad companies are at pr and responding to upset people. It's moments like this where the disconnect becomes so apparent. How do you not know that touting another demo will just further piss people off?

Are there no good pr firms and marketing persons left to hire in the world anymore?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this rate I fully expect ZombiNotU to be announced for PS360 tomorrow, followed by a patch for ZombiU that disables the game until November.

So, you know, Wii U owners can't make everyone else feel bad by continuing to play the game while the port is developed.

For one thing, Ubisoft is a dick for doing this to the developer. I think we all knew this would go multiplat, but not like this. I hope everyone who planned on buying the game still does, Origins was amazing. I know I will definitely end up purchasing it for the 360.

Another thing to note, Nintendo really fucked up by letting this happen. They really should have fought to secure it as a timed exclusive. Seriously. At the same time, this is why I didn't buy a Wii-U, I am not happy with the systems specs and have no faith in Nintendo securing third party devs.

Finally, I hope the demo is good, but Ubisoft are morons if they think this makes things better.

They are taking the piss right? Hasn't there already been numerous WiiU demos? I think people just want the game released since it's finished.

I'm kind of amazed how bad companies are at pr and responding to upset people. It's moments like this where the disconnect becomes so apparent. How do you not know that touting another demo will just further piss people off?

Are there no good pr firms and marketing persons left to hire in the world anymore?

Well, it's hard for PR to fix executive fuck ups. Only so many things you can do to sugar coat a bad decision.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yves Guillemot, promising a demo while the game is done and one click away from the eshop is you know, shameful. What a way to get millions of clients feel disrespected. Stupid, narrow minded move.

And I'm assuming the feedback wasn't in the form of message boards full of epic meltdowns or petitions calling for Ubisoft's collective heads over Legends supposedly being an exclusive elsewhere. Probably just a lot of Rayman fans letting Ubisoft know they'd like the game as well. Rayman is just another game added to many more on the release lists for those consoles. Bayonetta, however, now that elicited some epic meltdowns.

That's not what you said. You said they didn't care and that quote contradicts your statement that PS360 owners don't care. I believe PS360 owners do care about Legends, and I think that's absolute fine. Anyway, we're getting off topic and it's not really important.

XenoRaven

Don't even give us the demo. Seriously. It will restore absolutely zero good will and makes the developers do even more work for no good reason.

There is a Arabic Idiom to this situation that roughly transaltes "He wanted to apply Eyeliner on her, he blinded her instead"

What the fuck ubi, this is just a piece of shit move. All you're doing now is hurting the devs more. Just realease the fucking game already, it's practically complete...then let the guys work on the other platforms.

I still don't know why they didn't just release Legends and then pretend the 360 / PS3 ports were Origins 2 (since they'd be featuring plenty of reworked content to take out Murfy). I guess they just didn't want to advertise twice.

Which clearly isn't listening to players at all, it's just 'we're too cheap to do that'.

The loss of exclusivity doesn't cut at all. Having a game you thought was coming out in less than three weeks THAT WAS FINISHED delayed so that they don't have to spend as much money marketing?

Yeah. TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I hope the new demo is good. :(

braves01

Banned
Who at Ubisoft honestly thought this would help the situation rather than further incense fans and burden developers? It would have been better to do nothing.

RibMan

I don't understand.. why can't they just release the Wii U version now since it's ready and the other platforms later? wtf?

My assumption is Ubisoft don't want to spend a lot on marketing. I assume they have X amount of dollars for marketing and promoting Rayman Legends, so they want to do it all at once as opposed to doing it twice.

Also, I believe Sony imposes a rule on games that release on their platform at a later date (the game needs to have bonus content). Perhaps Ubisoft doesn't want to deal with creating new content for the game.

kenjisalk

It would be hilarious if they decided to release the game digitally in an episodic format, releasing the final batch of episodes right before the September release date.

My assumption is Ubisoft don't want to spend a lot on marketing. I assume they have X amount of dollars for marketing and promoting Rayman Legends, so they want to do it all at once as opposed to doing it twice.

Also, I believe Sony imposes a rule on games that release on their platform at a later date (the game needs to have bonus content). Perhaps Ubisoft doesn't want to deal with creating new content for the game.

they HAVE to make new content, and they are, to replace the sections which require Murfy and the tablet controls. hence a seven month delay, rather than a couple of months.

So what's the Canadian version of a Dirty Sanchez? If the delay was a Montreal screw job, that's what this demo amounts to.

Top Bottom