• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q1 results: Watch Dogs now at 8 million units shipped

Jito

Banned
well if they thought it sucked, they had to have played it

and unless they're pirates they had to buy it, which means ubishit had to ship more copies

That's a bit of leap dude...

A friend had it and we all had a go on it at his house, or is that too hard to comprehend? We must have stole it!

Saganator

I enjoyed Watch Dogs. Don't get all the hate. Although, I do get the hate for Aiden, he sucks. I look forward to see what they end up doing to make it better. I wish they could make it on par to GTA on a technical level.

Its sad seeing this average game doing 8 millions and something like Wolfenstein: The New Order is probably not even breaking a million.

But in the end, the market has spoken. The new breed of gamers made it pretty clear that they prefer something like WD over Wolfen.

Celegus

Wow that's a big number. Not my cup of tea in the least, doubt I'd even play it if it was free on PS+. But it looks like we're getting more of it, like it or not.

Salty people in here who worship Dark Souls or some other hipster title.

I loved Watch Doge and am glad to see that we will get more sequels to this franchise. Hopefully they fix some of the annoying issues with it and add more interiors to buildings which is what I always want more of in open world games. Maybe next gen has enough horsepower to have stores other than coffee houses with internal architechtures.

thebloo

How on earth? I didn't think it was that popular, even my none gamer friends thought it sucked.

Because non gamers are not relevant with games like these? It may not be a great game, but it's not Just Dance or Wii Sports. It's still a "core" game.

OrangeOak

Good,I enjoy this game very much.
There is a lot room for improvement though so I hope all that money will guarantee a nice sequel.

Ouch. Its way too mediocre for that kinda money.

First rule about digital: dont buy digital.

Yeah well imagine my shock when it turned out that Wolfenstein was lauded by critics and gamers alike. Also it's the subject of a fawning thread right here too, one for which I read the OP and immediately thought 'That $70 should have gone towards Wolfenstein.'

Now, not only am I out $70, but I have a half-baked game for which my interest has wained, and I don't own the game I now know I would have enjoyed far more. :(

scitek

Let's face it, the only real loud controversy was happening here and other spots of the internet. For the average gamer, they didn't hear that noise or only heard the marketing, which clearly works. I haven't seen so many ads for a game in quite a while. It seemed inevitable to me that it would do well, no matter how I feel about their practices

Yeah, only places like this realized it was broken. The fun the average gamer had with it was due to them just not knowing how broken and poorly designed it is.

Vinc

This % of sales breakdown seems a bit disastrous for Microsoft. 360 went down massively in favor of PS4, and Xbox One doesn't even edge out the PS3. Both of Microsoft's platforms put together don't even match PS4 alone and this is early evidence that Sony overall may be controlling about 50% of the console game market. Hardware numbers are good to have, sure, but this is much more interesting and telling. Those are the real numbers they care about.

Denton

Its sad seeing this average game doing 8 millions and something like Wolfenstein: The New Order is probably not even breaking a million.

But in the end, the market has spoken. The new breed of gamers made it pretty clear that they prefer something like WS over Wolfen.
Yep, gamers prefer beautiful open cities with well implemented stealth, action and driving mechanics, with a lot of freedom and ingenious multi-player, to linear grey corridor-filled shooter in which entire scope of player agency is through barrel of a gun or edge of a knife.

Truly a catastrophe.

But in the end, the market has spoken. The new breed of gamers made it pretty clear that they prefer something like WS over Wolfen.

Didnt Wolfenstein do pretty well sales wise?

I didn't think the game was perfect by any means. Story can be kind of a mess at times and Aiden's character "development" sucked. I didn't have any issues with the driving. I guess it was less arcadey than GTA, but I found some cars that I liked and got used to driving them pretty quickly. I liked the stealth/cover/shooting mechanics a lot, though. The open world had plenty to do as well, although not all of it felt that compelling. If WD2 can address the issues with storytelling, characters, and making the open world feel more "necessary", it could be a bonafide hit for me...and since WD has sold-in 8 million units, WD2 is a certainty at this point.

lJKU72B.png

Holy schmoly that PS4 percentage.

Thats just Watch Dogs for the PS4 right? PS360 also had Stick of Truth.

This % of sales breakdown seems a bit disastrous for Microsoft. 360 went down massively in favor of PS4, and Xbox One doesn't even edge out the PS3. Both of Microsoft's platforms put together don't even match PS4 alone and this is early evidence that Sony overall may be controlling about 50% of the console game market. Hardware numbers are good to have, sure, but this is much more interesting and telling. Those are the real numbers they care about.

The PS4 numbers are really crazy

Yep, gamers prefer beautiful open cities with well implemented stealth, action and driving mechanics, with a lot of freedom and ingenious multi-player, to linear grey corridor-filled shooter in which entire scope of player agency is through barrel of a gun or edge of a knife.

Truly a catastrophe.

You're kidding, right? You obviously didn't play either game in question here.

Quentyn

12% of the Watch Dogs sales were on PC, 70% of them digital. Digital sales for Xbox One and PS4 are around 10%, Xbox one is a bit higher and PS4 a bit lower than 10%.

K' Dash

I can already taste the salt in this thread.

Deserved, amazing game, I need more. I hope they give us some Jordy DLC.

Bgamer90

Banned

It's evidence that the game had a lot "next gen hype" and that the Playstation marketing was effective.

The "next gen hype" helped in terms of PS4 sales too since the PS4 was the cheapest new system to play the game.

Fisico

That platform breakdown:
lJKU72B.png

I guess it's just physical shipments they're accounting for, or did Child of Light push next to nothing on Wii U?

Do you think it's unrealistic if Child of Light Wii U sold ~72 times less than Watch Dogs PS4 (so basically less than 0.5% sales) ?

KoopaTheCasual

Hopefully this will teach publishers that "holy shit you guys! There are more months in the year besides October and March that we can have a successful release in?!"

I'm sick of (what appears to be) firms with extremely limited marketing data telling pubs that they gots to release either in the holidays or March or else their game will flop.

So we're gonna dismiss legitimate concerns just because a game made it sales? I dread to see the reaction had SimCity and Dungeon Keeper mobile achieved the same success.

Don't take my post so seriously.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion - I'm not dismissing anyone's valid criticisms. I could list many problems with the game (primarily the story), I just think overall it's far from a *bad* game.

That platform breakdown:
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/lJKU72B.png[/IMG]

I guess it's just physical shipments they're accounting for, or did Child of Light push next to nothing on Wii U?

John Harker mentioned this about CoH's sales

it's doing well from what I hear. if it keeps selling at a nice pace, everyone should be relatively happy. ps4 doing better than expected, the rest okay to meh

It's evidence that the game had a lot "next gen hype" and that the Playstation marketing was effective.

The "next gen hyped" helped in terms of PS4 sales too since the PS4 was the cheapest new system to play the game.

Yep. And its also evidence that a lot more gamers own PS4s than Xbones.

I loved Watch Doge and am glad to see that we will get more sequels to this franchise. Hopefully they fix some of the annoying issues with it and add more interiors to buildings which is what I always want more of in open world games. Maybe next gen has enough horsepower to have stores other than coffee houses with internal architechtures.
I can already taste the salt in this thread.

Deserved, amazing game, I need more. I hope they give us some Jordy DLC.
Geez. Stop with the salt thing. Some people simply think it's not a good game.

And wtf at the hipster thing.

Denton

You're kidding, right? You obviously didn't play either game in question here.
I played and finished both on PC. Spent around 60 hours in WD and 15 in Wolfenstein. You can find my impressions posts in their respective threads.

Funny thing is, I consider both great games, for completely different reasons. But WD fit my taste much better. I am getting weary of corridors lately. And those sewers in wolf, ugh.

Hopefully this will teach publishers that "holy shit you guys! There are more months in the year besides October and March that we can have a successful release in?!"

I'm sick of (what appears to be) firms with extremely limited marketing data telling pubs that they gots to release either in the holidays or March or else their game will flop.

This so much. I really really don't get how especially october is so damn crowded this year. Would have been nice to get some of those during summer already.

Jito

Banned

Only hipsters like Dark Souls? Wut?

barit

it was okay but not good or amazing. typical half ass AAA blockbuster stuff from ubi. watch_dogs 2 will have a hard time next year when there is some decent software around for current gen. 36% PS4 should everybody telling that there was a real thirst for games this year. i'm one of those buyers and this shit will not happen again.

yurinka

Btw in the 'Breakdown of sales by geographic region', Europe had exactly the same portions of sales than North America.

lJKU72B.png

Holy schmoly that PS4 percentage.

Thats just Watch Dogs for the PS4 right? PS360 also had Stick of Truth.
More than the half of Ubi sales this quarter are coming from PS consoles. o_O

Top Bottom