• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q1 results: Watch Dogs now at 8 million units shipped

it was okay but not good or amazing. typical half ass AAA blockbuster stuff from ubi. watch_dogs 2 will have a hard time next year when there is some decent software around for current gen. 36% PS4 should everybody telling that there was a real thirst for games this year. i'm one of those buyers and this shit will not happen again.

People said the same with AC1 back in a day....

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
8 million shipped?

Well, that's certainly big, but I think there's a good amount of that shipment still unsold right now.

Still, congratulations to Ubisoft. Hopefully, they'll correct what was wrong in WD for the sequel. Holy shit at that PS4 % O___O

I don't think that I've ever been disappointed about a game selling well before but...here I am.

As someone who played through the entire game, I felt that the writing was awful and the game lacked any real identity. It felt very soulless to me - and I hate using the term "soul" when referring to a game. It's just the only way I can describe it.

From my personal perspective, it's disappointing to see a game like that rewarded with such huge sales.

You needed Watch Dogs stats to tell you that? Have you not been paying attention to the NPD's every month?

Well NPD doesn't paint that strong of a picture of PS4 leading by any huge margin (it's leading but software is really close in the States). But these figures show that clearly on a WW front PS4 is very much dominant both in hardware and software.

Orayn

I recently got a chance to try Watch Dogs and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Game is still packed to the gills with aimless, generic filler as mandated by the standard Ubisoft template, but the stealth and hacking elements were pretty neat and I experienced something vaguely resembling good mission design in a few places.

It's probably not going to happen, but the franchise could become something pretty special if Ubi focused on quality over quantity for the next one.

That's unfortunate. Would rather see people buying games that are actually good instead of poorly designed AAA titles.
Z65gPuX.png

Don't take my post so seriously.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion - I'm not dismissing anyone's valid criticisms. I could list many problems with the game (primarily the story), I just think overall it's far from a *bad* game.

Most people Ive seen criticize the game dont think its terrible...rather that its merely average, mediocre, meh. So these numbers feel like pre-release hype + new console game drought numbers. Hopefully Watchdogs 2 will be a really good game a la AC2 vs AC1.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't even want to imagine Destiny platform breakdown, as many players seem to think it's a PS4 exclusive...

This is going to be more interesting since Xbox gamers enjoy multiplayer shooters and the brand is more known for that genre than Playstation.

It's definitely going to sell more on the PS4 but I don't think the gap will be as big as Watch_Dogs. We'll see though.

Dunkers92

Nice. Good job Ubi. Still loving the game. For a first game in a new franchise I think it is really good.

There are definitely a couple of rough edges and needed improvements in the game but overall, it has been a really fun to play. If they can make the same leap to WD2 as they did with AC1-2, then they could have a really, really good game on their hands.

Haven't got round to playing Valient Hearts of Child of Light yet but it is great to see a large publisher like Ubi support games like this as well as the massive AAA games they make.

Well NPD doesn't paint that strong of a picture of PS4 leading by any huge margin (it's leading but software is really close in the States). But these figures show that clearly on a WW front PS4 is very much dominant both in hardware and software.

Hmm, I didn't realize that was ever in doubt...

From what I'm seeing, especially from visiting sites like Eurogamer, PS is the dominant force this gen.

funkypie

Banned
I bought it as something to play on my ps4 bit of hype and GAF feed back. Honestly its not that great, still haven't finished bit. Can't see a sequel doing better.

Vinc

It's evidence that the game had a lot "next gen hype" and that the Playstation marketing was effective.

The "next gen hype" helped in terms of PS4 sales too since the PS4 was the cheapest new system to play the game.

PS3 only went down from 25 to 17%

360 went down from 27 to 14%

Xbox One only has 17% of next-gen sales.

To me, this, along with other evidence we got over the past couple of months, this indicates that a lot of 360 players moved to PS4, while PS3 players largely moved to PS4. It also seems to indicate that 360 players were more eager to jump to next-gen, and jumped ship in the process.

Microsoft is being super aggressive with trying to regain market share right now, with the titanfall exclusivity being bought for the life of the title, the Gears of War announcement, the policy reversals, the aggressively priced bundles, and now dropping Kinect, on top of the potential "controlled leaks" (I'm not really believing that, but who knows).

With these numbers, it's starting to make sense. I don't think they're too happy with the XBO software sales numbers, which are the bulk of the profit they make, not hardware sales. Software sales is what really matters.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Xbox had a strong launch. It's the recent sales trend that is becoming a worry for MS. PS4 seems to have become the market console of choice. Not that long ago a Sony console sold 7 times more than competition. Such a domination won't likely happen this gen, but 3 to 4 times more sales when all said and done, is a possibility.

Struct09

I'm very happy to see a new IP sell so well. I had a lot of fun with Watch Dogs. It was far from perfect, and they have a lot they can improve on for the sequels. Hope it gets the Assassin's Creed 2 type of improvement.

antitrop

enormously undeserved.

never played a big budget video game so uninspiringly designed.

For as awful and tedious and miserable to play as it was, I think the first Assassin's Creed game still had infinitely more "inspiration" than Watch_Dogs does.

AC1 feels like they were trying and just couldn't quite get there. Watch_Dogs feels like they just didn't fucking give a shit at all.

Damn, that PS4 percentage! Didn't expect it to be that big.

8 million units for Watch Dogs is impressive. It's a good game, but it definitely has some kinks that need to be worked out. Hopefully Watch Dogs 2 will do for the series what Assassin's Creed 2 did for AC.

Kabouter

Game was good fun, glad it did well. Obviously it has several significant issues, but when compared to the first Assassin's Creed game it feels relatively polished, and it definitely has the potential to become a solid franchise just like AC as long as they keep changing up the setting sufficiently.

acevans2

I was hyped for Watch_Dogs because it was set in Chicago, but I think I'm going to pass it up due to the tepid (at best) response to the game. I think there is still a lot of potential in the game as a series based on what I've read, and I hope Watch_Dogs 2 is the kind of leap in quality seen in Assassin's Creed I -> II. I wish they'd stay in Chicago with it, too, but I doubt that'll happen.

No, I understood your point, trust me. ;)

Were that the case we probably didnt need your initial response then. ;) Anywho, general trends arent looking good for Xbone...and as someone else just noted, software sales are an even better indicator than hardware as to whats really going on relatively speaking. Plenty of anecdotal evidence out there but a title this big with a discrepancy this large between the 2 next gen consoles just about seals it, case closed.

I honestly thought it was incredibly boring to play, but that's honestly my fault for having expectations so high for the multiplayer. The single player campaign was even more boring.

But if it did this well, I can only hope Ubi irons out all the kinks in the sequels.

Were that the case we probably didnt need your initial response then. ;) Anywho, general trends arent looking good for Xbone...and as someone else just noted, software sales are an even better indicator than hardware as to whats really going on relatively speaking. Plenty of anecdotal evidence out there but a title this big with a discrepancy this large between the 2 next gen consoles just about seals it, case closed.

I'm probably going to wait until a full year or two of this gen has gone by before I start considering anything closed. Declaring "case closed" after less than a year seems a little silly to me.

Orayn

May Watch Dogs 2 be the new Assassin's Creed 2!

I'd rather have it be the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Less content (Read: Filler) than the last game, but all the mechanics have been polished up nicely and it actually feels like the team has a cohesive idea of what they want the game to be about.

Top Bottom