• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Q1 results: Watch Dogs now at 8 million units shipped

So we're gonna dismiss legitimate concerns just because a game made it sales? I dread to see the reaction had SimCity and Dungeon Keeper mobile achieved the same success.

Dismiss what?

Some people like the game. Some hated it, Some thought it was meh (I fall into the meh category) but since this about sales what else are you going to bring up here that couldn't have been done in the other watchdog related threads?

thebloo

Just to clarify, since most people seem to miss it. This chart is not for Watch Dogs, it's for all the games in the entire quarter. Yes, WD is the dominant seller, but it's not just a WD chart.

lJKU72B.png

Some Nobody

Game was just "OK", so I don't really get all the hate. Anyway the main reason this sold is because of the lack of retail games available for owners of PS4/XB1. (Not the ONLY reason, but still.) This was the first game I bought since inFamous: Second Son, and will probably be the last game I buy until...Dragon Age. That's a gigantic gap, and gamers had to buy something.

Foshy

Just to clarify, since most people seem to miss it. This chart is not for Watch Dogs, it's for all the games in the entire quarter. Yes, WD is the dominant seller, but it's not just a WD chart.

lJKU72B.png

Was pretty clear for me as there's also 1% for Wii, but yeah. Seems like some people didn't notice that.

Yeah, i'm still hearing the replay and they have some more physical-digital ratios:

Valiant Hearts - 50-50
Child of Light - 75% digital, 25% physical.

Surprisingly high physical rate here, especially for Child of Light. Would be interesting to see a platform breakdown here, as the CoL physical edition is PS and PC only. (thanks messofanego)

It's a strange position to hold. Finding the sales of a game as "unfortunate"? People shouldn't act like their opinion on a certain product is the final word on it, let folks buy and enjoy whatever they want.

There are a lot of games I don't like at all but have been happy they're successful. cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

It's pointless, it's always the same people, posting in the same manner. "We know what's best, the rest of you are idiots for buying this crap".
I guess some people are just bitter.

Yes it's far more important as it gives a real look into where Ubisoft generates most of their sales from platform-wise

Yeah, i'm still hearing the replay and they have some more physical-digital ratios:

Valiant Hearts - 50-50
Child of Light - 75% digital, 25% physical.

I didn't realize that Valiant Hearts had a physical version.

Wait, Valiant Hearts had a retail version??

Hold up, what?

Is it just in certain countries? Nothing in UK. Child of Light had a fantastic physical release.

Dysun

Game grew on me after awhile. The overarching narrative, Aiden, and the other characters need a serious overhaul for the next iteration though.
Core gameplay was pretty fun, and did some unique stuff with the hacking mechanic

prag16

Banned
People shouldn't act like their opinion on a certain product is the final word on it, let folks buy and enjoy whatever they want.

There are a lot of games I don't like at all but have been happy they're successful. cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

Should probably tell that to some of the people in AC3 threads ("AC3 sucks" topics still pop pretty regularly, amazingly).

On topic, I'm surprised it sold quite this much. I'm probably waiting until it drops in price substantially; looks like an uninspired AC/GTA mashup from what I've seen so far, but I haven't played it. Might still give it a chance.

huh. I seriously was convinced that it was ps exclusive, very sorry for posting false info then.

So, to be clear the collector's edition is available for PS3/4 and PC, but not for 360/XB1/Wii U.

No need to say sorry lol. Yeah, guess it was a console exclusive.

BibiMaghoo

Good job, I would buy the next one for sure. I've not even finished it yet, but have definitely enjoyed my time with it.

EGOMON

The Division have timed exclusive contents for XBO right? seems weird decision by Ubi given the current stats

Glad watch_dogs did alright. I mean the game has its flaws, but its good to have evidence that new IP's can still do alright these days and not just sequels.

Jobbs

Banned
Regret buying this game. Angry at its lack of depth. It's all volume, no depth. No meaningful player engagement. It's just an endless trough of stuff to chew through that feels like it's for no real reason. You initially feel a certain degree of awe at the vastness of the city, but after that novelty wears off there's really nothing good to say about the game. Car explosions look pretty cool. Okay, that's about all I can think of.

I find it disappointing that this sort of tripe sells so well. I've rarely played a more soulless game. It's Ubisoft's purest distillation of "backing the dumptruck of meaningless stuff into a game" yet.

UrbanRats

It's one of the worst AAA games I've ever played. But I felt much the same about AC1, so if they can make that AC1 --> AC2 jump, I'd still be somewhat interested.

For one thing, moving away from the US could be a way to tap into something GTA refuses to do.
Sleeping Dogs was plenty refreshing, thanks to its setting, so having unseen before locations for a GTA style game, could be a valuable asset.

For what it's worth I really enjoyed the game, aside from some bad instafail stealth missions. My biggest problem is now that I've done the story and all the side stuff, I have a big empty map with nothing left to do. They really need to add the ability to replay missions and repopulate gang hideouts and other activities.

Regret buying this game. Angry at its lack of depth. It's all volume, no depth. No meaningful player engagement. It's just an endless trough of stuff to chew through that feels like it's for no real reason. You initially feel a certain degree of awe at the vastness of the city, but after that novelty wears off there's really nothing good to say about the game. Car explosions look pretty cool. Okay, that's about all I can think of.

I find it disappointing that this sort of tripe sells so well. I've rarely played a more soulless game. It's Ubisoft's purist distillation of "backing the dumptruck of meaningless stuff into a game" yet.

Were the explosions ever this cool?

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

hbkdx12

For what it's worth I really enjoyed the game, aside from some bad instafail stealth missions. My biggest problem is now that I've done the story and all the side stuff, I have a big empty map with nothing left to do. They really need to add the ability to replay missions and repopulate gang hideouts and other activities.

I can see why they wouldn't make gang hideouts repeatable for "narrative reasons" and there's only so many environments that would offer themselves up as good hideouts but there's no reason the convoy's either couldn't be repeatable or just constantly generated where they took different routes given there's no shortage of streets and what not

Surprisingly the thing that annoyed me the most about Watch Dogs was no mission to ROB A BANK. It's the simplest mission to weave into an open world modern city game like this.

Aiden needs thing. Thing is in Bank vault. Aiden robs bank. Run from cops

Cliche? Yes. Overdone? Probably. Still want? Hell yes. WTF Ubisoft

It's a strange position to hold. Finding the sales of a game as "unfortunate"? People shouldn't act like their opinion on a certain product is the final word on it, let folks buy and enjoy whatever they want.

It's pointless, it's always the same people, posting in the same manner. "We know what's best, the rest of you are idiots for buying this crap".
I guess some people are just bitter.
But some people don't want to see the industry going to certain directions. Do you honestly not have any wish that certain trends in the industry weren't so dominant? Simple smartphone games for example? Pay to win?

The better certain kind of a game or business practice does, the more likely it is that it'll become more popular. As resources in the industry are not unlimited, a thing becoming popular is always away from something else. Thus, if one really dislikes something, isn't it quite natural to wish it doesn't do well?

As a disclaimer, personally I don't have anything against Watch Dogs doing well. I haven't played the game nor will I most likely. But I can easily see how one wouldn't like for example how bloated AAA games rule the industry in many ways.

I don't think that I've ever been disappointed about a game selling well before but...here I am.

As someone who played through the entire game, I felt that the writing was awful and the game lacked any real identity. It felt very soulless to me - and I hate using the term "soul" when referring to a game. It's just the only way I can describe it.

From my personal perspective, it's disappointing to see a game like that rewarded with such huge sales.

I dont understand this sentiment at all. Why would you be disappointed that people bought and liked a game that you didnt ? Can someone elaborate on this sentiment ? Not everyone uses the standards you set to decide what games they are going to play and enjoy. Same for movies/music/tv shows.

I try not to but whenever someone uses the term "Haters gonna hate", it usually follows by a broad brushstroke as a means to write them off. It's not a very good excuse to use in any context because it is just a convenient placeholder in favor of a more substantial rebuttal.

The game sold good, but that is not the main contention of this franchise. It's the fact that Ubisoft can can get away with shady marketing practices and having consumers vindicate them because it "sold" well - which of course ends up paving the way for more questionable consumer-ethics in the foreseeable future.

I understand what you're saying about "haters gonna hate" but in the case of Watch Dogs and Ubisoft games in general, it seems like whenever they get mentioned people have a knee-jerk reaction and trip all over themselves to post "watch dogs sucks!" "ubi trash" or "cookie cutter game" or something else that is just as meaningless as "haters gonna hate"

Top Bottom